User ImageUser Image

Ali`dido had found himself between prides, something that didn’t strike him as a good time, when he had discovered a scent that had wafted towards what smelled to be a rather intriguing group of individuals. There were numerous scents on the winds that included, males and females alike – these scents were followed by a moist smell that suggested there had been a down pour of some kind in the last few months.

“Smells so nice and fresh.” He said out loud, admiring the lush smell of fresh rains. The green lion, bag draped over his shoulder and across his chest, wandered onward towards the smell that had caught his attention so boldly. Then a sound like none he’d heard before came to rattle his eardrums in the most pleasant way – what could be making such music to his ears. Wondering what exactly he had stumbled upon he continued until he spied the source of the noise. There, laid out before him, was a small gathering of lions who appeared to be chanting away and the way they threw themselves into beating the instrument was just incredible.

Without hesitation he began his trek towards them. They appeared to be friendly and also unaware of what was going on, but not so unaware as to allow him to directly approach them. At first he didn’t notice the shadowy movement that approached him, but soon he did spy a pair of rather startling eyes peering at him from afar. The distance was shortened rather quickly and he found himself nearly falling backwards as she invaded his space.

“Who are you?” She inquired, her voice sounding sugary sweet and yet icy all at the same time. Her markings were just as startling to look at as her eyes, all included a very vibrant red that he just couldn’t seem to look away from. “Ali. Ali`dido.” He said, not stumbling over his words, but rather engaging in a way to suggest he could be addressed as Ali rather than using his full name. “Who are you? What have I stumbled upon?” He said in awe, regarding the way the lions behind her continued to beat away at their drums.

“Welcome to the Nchi`mahadhi. Where we chant and play music for the Gods themselves.” She smiled fondly and spoke proudly – their proof that their music reached the Gods was in the flood that they had received, of course whichever chants they had been using would have to be reviewed for parts that suggested a flood versus a shower, but her humor would have to be saved for a later date. “I’m Shauku, the Malenga here – or leader since you’re new.”

“Did the leader always make a point of being so involved on border greetings?” He mused, asking the innocent, but very realistic question – why had she been so bothered. “If you must know, Ali, I have only just come home – to do these simple interrogations is my pleasure. I’m just glad to be home.” Just returned home? He wondered to himself pondering what would have kept her away from such a beautiful place and so he decided to just be forward about it, asking was always easier than putting together a story.

“So why did you stay away?”

The question was posed innocently and Shauku could only smile and stare a moment to gather herself up. Though she heard it as a poke at her for leaving her pride leader-less, but she rose above that feeling and chose to answer it. “There was a drought, we chanted to the Gods and when we were gifted with rain it just wouldn’t stop. We were flooded here and many lives were lost – both through death and through waves of water pushing them far away.” She said. “Obviously I was the latter.” The smile changed to a sad reflection of what it once was.

“So you have to understand that it wasn’t a choice.” Shauku realized just how poorly she had felt for leaving when she decided to explain it to a complete stranger. “I’m sorry.” Ali said, for it was all he felt he could say, he hadn’t been judging her – nor did he feel he had a place in this world that would give him that right. “I’m also sorry, I didn’t intend to place such a burden on you. Welcome to our home, you should come and join in. Even if you have never played before we would be happy to teach you. Our merchants also have a number of items you could take a look at.” She said, raising a paw to direct him towards the group who were still playing away as though the pair hadn’t spoken at all.

“I’d like that very much.” Ali said, ears twitching to better hear the drums being played. Shauku soon was leading him towards the group – there were numerous lions surrounding the circle who appeared to come from different parts of the world. It seemed the drums were available for just about anyone, including travelers. The pride was very welcoming in the fact that even before Shauku could ask the lions were opening the circle and getting a drum for him. “The beat is so entrancing!” He said happily as he set down his bag, dropped his rump and found a way that he could sit, much like the other pride members to beat the drum.

At first his beats were off tempo of the other drummers, they had found a rhythm and for that he was jealous – incredible. But soon the group had slowed to a pleasant, but much easier beat to follow. He was welcomed into the rhythm and had begun to feel as part of the group – soon it was hard to distinguish which was his drum versus another. The unity this type of activity brought was incredible. “I do hope you’ll stay and join us for some other practices and activities. The merchants sell their own drums as well, if you’d like some for the road.”

Ali couldn’t have disagreed, so he decided to spend the evening playing these drums and getting in a nap. Tomorrow he would visit the merchants and chatter around.