Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Dungeons & Dragons Guild

Back to Guilds

A Dungeons & Dragons Roleplaying Guild - We have many active games, join requests are checked often, and everyone is accepted. 

Tags: Dungeons, Dragons, Roleplaying, Dungeons and Dragons 

Reply The Dungeons & Dragons Guild
Ladies and Gentlemen, I return... with questions!

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Raganui Minamoto

Distinct Prophet

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2014 1:13 am
Right, so I've been poking this website here and there a bit, never really doing much cause... have you seen it outside of the guilds lately? And I wasn't particularly interested in seeing if people I knew were still around cause I expect most have left.

However, things have drawn me in more than normal, so I decided to revisit this guild, say hi, and ask some questions.

Mainly, what other game systems do people enjoy that aren't of the DnD vein (3.5, pathfinder, 4e, 5e).

Like, FantasyCraft, any of the Warhammer games, ect.

Provide your thoughts and all, cause while am not looking for any Pathfinder or 3.5, if someone is thinking on doing something different, who knows.  
PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2014 10:12 am
Systems other than dndesque ones?

Eclipse Phase:

Quote:
"Eclipse Phase is a pen & paper roleplaying game of post-apocalyptic transhuman conspiracy and horror.

An "eclipse phase" is the period between when a cell is infected by a virus and when the virus appears within the cell and transforms it. During this period, the cell does not appear to be infected, but it is.

Players take part in a cross-faction secret network dubbed Firewall that is dedicated to counteracting "existential risks" — threats to the existence of transhumanity, whether they be biowar plagues, self-replicating nanoswarms, nuclear proliferation, terrorists with WMDs, net-breaking computer attacks, rogue AIs, alien encounters, or anything else that could drive an already decimated transhumanity to extinction."

I've never played it within the confines of the setting I used it once to run a Ghost in the Shell game and played in a custom setting. If you've played d100 systems like the warhammer games the system is pretty similar and combat is super lethal. I like it mostly because I have a nerd boner for transhumanism and hard sci fi.

Shadowrun
Quote:
Shadowrun is a science fantasy tabletop role-playing game set in a near-future fictional universe in which cybernetics, magic and fantasy creatures co-exist. It combines genres of cyberpunk, urban fantasy and crime, with occasional elements of conspiracy fiction, horror and detective fiction. From its inception in 1989, Shadowrun has remained among the most popular role-playing games. It has spawned a vast franchise that includes a series of novels, a collectible card game, two miniature-based tabletop wargames, and multiple video games.

It's like eclipse phase but with the sci fi turned down a bit and the fantasy cranked up.

Warhammer 40k Rpg's (Dark Heresy, Rogue Trader, Deathwatch, Black Crusade, Only War):
Quote:
Warhammer 40,000 Roleplay is a role-playing game system with multiple source books set within the Warhammer 40,000 universe. The first game using the system, Dark Heresy, was created by Black Industries, which closed soon after the initial release. Official support is continued by Fantasy Flight Games.

The Warhammer 40,000 Roleplay system is explained and used with small differences in a series of independently playable games. Each has a different, narrow focus and multiple supporting books of its own

If you like the 40k universe and wish to rp in it why have you not seen these yet?

The rest I havent played in a while so its not as fresh in my mind.  

Mongooseh

Distinct Raider

8,825 Points
  • Demonic Associate 100
  • Guildmember 100
  • Hellraiser 500

Raganui Minamoto

Distinct Prophet

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2014 4:24 pm
I've actually played all those you listed. They all have their ups and downs.

Eclipse Phase was interesting in that whole 'your body is just another piece of equipment' though some people whine about how it was a SJW game cause of that. Let me have my transhumanism without bringing real life bullshit into it.

Shadowrun. It's Shadowrun. Good luck finding a GM. Then good luck doing anything when most of the time your game has a Hacker/Rigger that is doing most of the stuff because ******** the rest of the team aside from menial labor. Yea, had an a*****e H/R on my party that game.

Ah Warhammer games. Played them all. I think that Deathwatch is my least favorite, but only because it's always played the same 'get mission, stoically do it, get next mission' Most GMs don't do it justice and make a game where, you're badass marines being dropped into this place and kicking xeno arse. Of course, the system ******** itself over at this point as well, as any DH character of the equivilant starting XP will be better than any starting xp marine. Here's hoping DW2e makes things better.  
PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2014 3:10 am
Rag, you seem like the person to ask but this is an open question to all who read it.

Could you recommend a system to run a power armour/mini mech squad game with?

So far talking it over with some other dudes we've essentially dismissed many that would cost money/be a pain in the arse to find the pdf version for free. As such we kind of decided that maybe home brew shadowrun would be the way to go shunning the fantasy side and having people with the "suit" just be the augments people buy and essentially overlay a normal humie.  

Mongooseh

Distinct Raider

8,825 Points
  • Demonic Associate 100
  • Guildmember 100
  • Hellraiser 500

Raganui Minamoto

Distinct Prophet

PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2014 4:35 pm
Depends on the power level your going for. First thing to mind is Deathwatch. You could always use Black Crusade or Only War as well (and then provide LPA to them). Or even DH2e.

Aside from that, I think Shadowrun has combat power armors. There is also... uh... crap, I had it... Heavy Gear.  
PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2014 11:03 pm
*wonders if he should dare set up a Battletech campaign* ><

Also, where have you been, Inky?  

Plainsfox

Romantic Paladin

10,600 Points
  • Battle Hardened 150
  • Team Jacob 100
  • Bunny Hunter 100

Raganui Minamoto

Distinct Prophet

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2014 12:26 pm
Battletech is interesting, but didn't catch my interest really.

Also, I just was done with Gaia for awhile, and in fact, am only here for two guilds now, so far.  
PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2014 2:22 pm
Savage Worlds is a nice system. A bit tricky to get a handle on, but once you've got it, it runs really smooth.  

Lord of the Vine

Dapper Codger

7,825 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Forum Regular 100
  • Peoplewatcher 100

Raganui Minamoto

Distinct Prophet

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2014 9:46 pm
I've heard the name, could you perhaps give me a brief rundown of it?  
PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2014 1:59 pm
Raganui Minamoto
I've heard the name, could you perhaps give me a brief rundown of it?

Basically, it removes the math from the equation. Armor and weapons are more or less the same, but there are no skill points, no hit points. Instead, your skills are determined by points you spend on dice (d4 being a low skill, d12 being a high skill). As for hit points, you instead have a toughness score; if damage surpasses toughness, you become shaken (unable to act until dealt with) and potentially a wound (which gives you a -1 on all rolls until healed). If you get more than 4 wounds, you're KO'd.

Initiative is based on a standard 52-card deck, running from 2 to Ace (low to high, respectively), then based on suit in alpha order (Clubs, Diamonds, Hearts, Spades). Jokers are the best card you can get, which not only puts you at the top of initiative, but you also get a +2 bonus to all checks.  

Lord of the Vine

Dapper Codger

7,825 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Forum Regular 100
  • Peoplewatcher 100

Raganui Minamoto

Distinct Prophet

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2014 2:53 pm
Huh. That honestly sounds both interesting and confusing. I may have to look into it at some point.  
PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2014 2:27 pm
Raganui Minamoto
Huh. That honestly sounds both interesting and confusing. I may have to look into it at some point.

The beauty is that the books are pretty cheap. The core rules is somewhere in the $15-$20 mark, and the supplements are less than that. The core book can get you through most of the settings, though I'd recommend Fantasy, Slipstream (think Buck Rogers sci-fi), and East Texas University (newer one that came out recently).

EDIT: Scratch that, $9-$15.  

Lord of the Vine

Dapper Codger

7,825 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Forum Regular 100
  • Peoplewatcher 100

Raganui Minamoto

Distinct Prophet

PostPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2014 1:38 pm
So, quick question to people here.

I'm looking for a game, be it evil or non, that will let me play a goddamn necromancer. Hell, if it's evil, then go a step forward with a lich necromancer and go full on evil overlord style (not with the lich as the evil overlord, but one of his generals... in by that I mean said lich would dole out fatherly advice, bake cookies, and clean up the evil overlord's castle and be the guy who keeps waking the evil overlord back up every few thousand years as per the contract... and throw deadly eldritch magics when people need to be punished.)  
PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2014 12:38 pm
Raganui Minamoto
So, quick question to people here.

I'm looking for a game, be it evil or non, that will let me play a goddamn necromancer. Hell, if it's evil, then go a step forward with a lich necromancer and go full on evil overlord style (not with the lich as the evil overlord, but one of his generals... in by that I mean said lich would dole out fatherly advice, bake cookies, and clean up the evil overlord's castle and be the guy who keeps waking the evil overlord back up every few thousand years as per the contract... and throw deadly eldritch magics when people need to be punished.)

Pathfinder.  

Lord of the Vine

Dapper Codger

7,825 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Forum Regular 100
  • Peoplewatcher 100
The Dungeons & Dragons Guild

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers