RetrogradeFurnace

Shameless Exhibitionist

1,400 Points
  • Nudist Colony 200
  • Informer 100
  • Happy Birthday! 100
PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2011 7:05 pm
I may just have an embarrassing obsession with them. Cx

but, at the same time I don't really see them presently. I only like Pretty.Odd. and A Fever You Can't Sweat Out. For me, it's like they died. Which sounds depressing.

But, their use of instruments is amazing. I mean, cello, piano, trumpet, synthesizer, organ and whatever other stuff they use. Who does that? No one.

I remember the first year I heard them, 2005 or something. I instantly loved their lyrics and was deeply fascinated with the song titles. Also, I thought the auto-tune in their first album was beneficial, despite the fact it is covering up the lead singer's imperfect voice.

Sure, they have their labels as "emo" or whatever. It's not exactly the coolest band to like, but I can't help it.  
PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2011 10:03 pm
I only really heard their two big hits Nine in the Afternoon and I Write Sins Not Tragedy and I enjoy those songs a lot and still listen to them. Normally I don't care for "emo" music except for a few bands but I find those two songs are more fun if anything and are easy to bob your head up and down to so I wouldn't outright consider them emo. Emo to me is a behaviour and not just a clothing style.

But if you do appreciate great instrumentals, lyrics and a fun beat then try out Sam Roberts, the Tea Party, Queen, The Trews, The Arctic Monkeys, Mumford and Sons and many more but my brain is currently fried.

I've seen Sam Roberts preform twice now. Amazing musician and a great voice! I grew up listening to the Tea Party, AC DC, Queen and such so I know that the classic rockers actually know how to play the instruments, sheet music included and not just sounds. They have a technical understanding of music that you don't see in many rookie artists today and I think that loss is sad. (not all rookie artists, there are many with talent and teachings).  

Lady_Conspiracy

Lucky Rogue

14,200 Points
  • Bunny Spotter 50
  • Knight of Flurries 150
  • Married 100

RetrogradeFurnace

Shameless Exhibitionist

1,400 Points
  • Nudist Colony 200
  • Informer 100
  • Happy Birthday! 100
PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2011 11:41 am
Oh, I love Queen, The Artctic Monkeys and Mumford and Sons.
Most of the music I listen to is either old (from the 60's to the 80's) or kind of unheard of.

Panic! At the Disco is really a guilty pleasure for me. :] I greatly enjoy music that makes me think about why it was written, what the lyrics mean and what the instruments' sound is conveying.
Mumford and Sons are great. Probably my favorite modern-ish music. Have you ever heard of Jack's Mannequin? You might like them.

As for technical understanding of music, I think that in the long run if you plan on having a career entirely shaped around music, new music and composing then you really want some good music theory under your belt. A lot of musicians, though, didn't know how to read music at all such as Jimmy Hendricks and they were still amazing. I think it kind of depends.  
PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2011 6:53 pm
This is true. Jimmy Hendricks however has talent that is rarely seen even in musicians with the training. Few people have such a gift. razz

I will try that band so thank you!  

Lady_Conspiracy

Lucky Rogue

14,200 Points
  • Bunny Spotter 50
  • Knight of Flurries 150
  • Married 100
52: Music is Life

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers