Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Dungeons & Dragons Guild

Back to Guilds

A Dungeons & Dragons Roleplaying Guild - We have many active games, join requests are checked often, and everyone is accepted. 

Tags: Dungeons, Dragons, Roleplaying, Dungeons and Dragons 

Reply The Dungeons & Dragons Guild
Looking for potential replacements in my gaming group.

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Rain Yupa
Captain

Enduring Member

PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2010 11:15 am
Does anyone in the guild live in or close to the Eastern Connecticut area? Due to complications, we were forced to change our gaming area, and two of the six of us are now unable to play.

Also, for the next game, we will be starting 4e D&D, since the primary person against playing is one of the people who can't play anymore! But we've played other games in the past, such as Legend of the Five Rings, Mouseguard, Mutants & Masterminds, Everway, Cyberpunk 2020, and a few others, including some homebrews!  
PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2010 3:12 pm
If I lived near I would love to play, unfortunately I am about 3000 miles away ^^

Try joining this website, I found two groups within a week of joining it, you may be able to find players smile  

NayrVentess

2,400 Points
  • Member 100
  • Gaian 50

Rain Yupa
Captain

Enduring Member

PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2010 5:33 pm
Thanks very much for the lead, Nayr! biggrin  
PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2010 6:21 pm
As excited as I am to play 4e on a regular basis on Monday nights, I do worry though that one of our players is gonna flip. He's very anti-mini. Though, he's used minis and tokens and such for his games in the past... confused

Anywho, I'm happy filling the role the party is lacking. For each, I'm probably leaning towards the following:

Defender: Elf fighter with a heavy flail, Dragonborn Battlerager tanking his Constitution, Gnome Warden
Controller: Brother Mercutio
Leader: Human or Eladrin Tactical Warlord
Striker: Human Avenger of Love, Toranis Stormbeard, Eladrin Barbarian with a monocle, or possibly a beast Ranger with a leezard.  

Rain Yupa
Captain

Enduring Member

joe-dude667

PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2010 4:37 am
NayrVentess
Try joining this website, I found two groups within a week of joining it, you may be able to find players smile
I went on that website, closest person is like an hours train ride away. =(  
PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2010 10:43 am
joe-dude667
NayrVentess
I went on that website, closest person is like an hours train ride away. =(

Let down man, you never know, someon might show up  

NayrVentess

2,400 Points
  • Member 100
  • Gaian 50

SporkMaster5000
Crew

Invisible Citizen

10,000 Points
  • Millionaire 200
  • Invisibility 100
  • Megathread 100
PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2010 8:51 pm
Rain Yupa
a beast Ranger with a leezard.
after the mount rules update, a halfling riding a velociraptor beast companion is both possible and awesome.  
PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2010 9:00 pm
I HAD been thinking Komodo Dragon that just eats too much (yay, monsters we defeat become carrion!). But you make a valid argument ninja  

Rain Yupa
Captain

Enduring Member

SporkMaster5000
Crew

Invisible Citizen

10,000 Points
  • Millionaire 200
  • Invisibility 100
  • Megathread 100
PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2010 11:22 pm
Rain Yupa
I HAD been thinking Komodo Dragon that just eats too much (yay, monsters we defeat become carrion!). But you make a valid argument ninja
before the errata there was a feat in dragon that let beastmasters ride their beasts (still relevant for medium sized characters) and that was the second idea that came to mind.  
PostPosted: Mon May 31, 2010 5:19 pm
So, through P&PG, I found one person who looked like a good match for our group. Haven't met him yet, though, but me and the person who's place we'd be using were going to meet him tomorrow.

The DM we're going to have has played 4e, and has DM'd a lot. But I'm, by far, the most experienced 4e person in my group. I know from last week, he wasn't sure what sources he'd let us draw from (he's still new enough to be concerned that 4e has the potential to be really broken, which it doesn't).

I mentioned this to the new player, and he went on a tirade about how he doesn't want to game in a group with an overbearing, controlling DM who holds the hands of his players and has to oversee every aspect of the game.

Which is NOT how we are. All I said was I'm not sure, since the DM hasn't commented on the matter yet. I'd even wager he WOULD allow all the various source books. Probably the biggest problems is he doesn't even know what source books there are, outside of the 3 PHBs that he knows of (he only has the core 3 PHB/MM/DMG). But anywho...

Now I'm worried the person I'm trying to recruit is a power gamer, and a potentially bad one. None of us are, and I think it would do more harm to the hesitant 4e players in my group than good if its true.

I hate being faced with the decision to potentially n** this in the bud before it gets out of hand. I would much rather things work out. neutral  

Rain Yupa
Captain

Enduring Member

NayrVentess

2,400 Points
  • Member 100
  • Gaian 50
PostPosted: Mon May 31, 2010 5:34 pm
Meet up with him, get a feel for how he plays by asking him about his past experiences. Like what was his best moment and worst moment, they'll give you an idea to what type of gamer he is. If his best moment was when his DM read four pages of awesome descriptive text, then he's probs not a power gamer ^^

If you meet with him, and you don't like him, and/or think he wouldn't be good for your group, then tell him that. (Or runaway and emial him that) But if you think there's a chance it could work out, invite him along to one session, see how things go, and then go from there. If it really doesn't work, tell him to beat it, but you might be pleasantly surprised and have added a good new player to your group. You never know, even if he is a power gamer, being around different types of players may change his play style, maybe he is a power gamer because of his DM's in the past forcing him to play that way.

Hope I helped rather than hindered 3nodding  
PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2010 2:42 pm
The DM was unwilling to let the new person play with whatever sources he wanted (Dragon magazines, et al), for the primary reason that the DM doesn't have access to them; as such, the new player was unwilling to be a member of our gaming group.

Apparently, "All three PHBs and maybe the power books" wasn't satisfactory enough.

*le sigh* Back to square one.  

Rain Yupa
Captain

Enduring Member

SporkMaster5000
Crew

Invisible Citizen

10,000 Points
  • Millionaire 200
  • Invisibility 100
  • Megathread 100
PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2010 3:59 pm
Rain Yupa
The DM was unwilling to let the new person play with whatever sources he wanted (Dragon magazines, et al), for the primary reason that the DM doesn't have access to them; as such, the new player was unwilling to be a member of our gaming group.

Apparently, "All three PHBs and maybe the power books" wasn't satisfactory enough.

*le sigh* Back to square one.
sorry to hear that Rain. really wish I could help, but I'm not very well versed in the art of finding players either, and I'm down in Maryland so...  
PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2010 5:51 pm
You live near Psychofish, then. 3nodding  

Rain Yupa
Captain

Enduring Member

SporkMaster5000
Crew

Invisible Citizen

10,000 Points
  • Millionaire 200
  • Invisibility 100
  • Megathread 100
PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2010 5:53 pm
Rain Yupa
You live near Psychofish, then. 3nodding
kinda. I think he said he was in the mountains, while i'm closer to DC, but definitely closer to him than you.  
The Dungeons & Dragons Guild

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games