Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Dungeons & Dragons Guild

Back to Guilds

A Dungeons & Dragons Roleplaying Guild - We have many active games, join requests are checked often, and everyone is accepted. 

Tags: Dungeons, Dragons, Roleplaying, Dungeons and Dragons 

Reply The Dungeons & Dragons Guild
So, i'm thinking of crafting a labyrinth campaign.

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Ariel Yardena Davidson

Questionable Firestarter

25,500 Points
  • Gender Swap 100
  • Threadmaster 200
  • Lavish Tipper 200
PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2010 9:51 pm
Any pointers on what adventure modules would work with a maze campaign a la House of Leaves? The format would be fluid in nature, similar to the chambers within the house on Ash Tree Lane, and i'd like to make it a boss run of sorts.  
PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2010 3:38 am
Start by building the maze itself. Is it like in the Jim Henson movie where there's twists, turns, traps and different environments at nigh every angle? Is it like The Shining where once someone goes in, they don't come out (until now)? Is it aboveground or underground, or even a series of Walls of Force in the sky?  

Slave Xaccheus

Archfiend Damio

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2010 4:16 am
The Best part is you can add some great elements to a Natural maze first of all if you have the power to move, create, or shape plants you can really have fun with a party.

Although I do have to say the one in Jim Hensons film started off mundane with nay a turn insight. It later grew a little more deadly and a little less like a maze if you ask me.
The best aspect I think you can add to a natural maze is Plant creatures not only that but there are spells that create plant walls and there are even plant creatures made to look like other creatures that much like a gargoyle are hard to tell what they are until you catch them moving. This could give your 'Shining' Maze a little more creepy feel. Or really its up to you. Is it a forest maze full of corrupted treants that change the very path players think is the right trapping them for days on end.

Honestly and you can use this idea if you like but it probably wouldn't fit here in this nature setting but a maze with either its up to you. Walls of force or with Invisible walls sense if can be made permanent. But think how challenging a maze would be if you don't know the turns you don't know anything but what you can feel in front of you. Not only that you can really mess with the PCs by placing someone important in the middle that they could plainly see that is in danger. Giving them a sort of time limit.  
PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2010 3:01 pm
The Jester of Equilibrium
The Best part is you can add some great elements to a Natural maze first of all if you have the power to move, create, or shape plants you can really have fun with a party.

Although I do have to say the one in Jim Hensons film started off mundane with nay a turn insight. It later grew a little more deadly and a little less like a maze if you ask me.
The best aspect I think you can add to a natural maze is Plant creatures not only that but there are spells that create plant walls and there are even plant creatures made to look like other creatures that much like a gargoyle are hard to tell what they are until you catch them moving. This could give your 'Shining' Maze a little more creepy feel. Or really its up to you. Is it a forest maze full of corrupted treants that change the very path players think is the right trapping them for days on end.

Honestly and you can use this idea if you like but it probably wouldn't fit here in this nature setting but a maze with either its up to you. Walls of force or with Invisible walls sense if can be made permanent. But think how challenging a maze would be if you don't know the turns you don't know anything but what you can feel in front of you. Not only that you can really mess with the PCs by placing someone important in the middle that they could plainly see that is in danger. Giving them a sort of time limit.

And, since walls of force are invisible, it'd make it that much more dangerous when you decide to start throwing in walls that should be there but aren't. Just imagine getting backed up against a wall, only to find that there ISN'T one, and suddenly you're falling through open air.

Or, you could make a dungeon completely made out of magical spells. Devious traps suddenly strike without warning, protecting whatever secret was lost long ago. Living Spells roam the halls, mutant organisms created by the arcane flux of the area. Summoned monsters appear and disappear at random, attacking the Players or leading the way. All the while, a permanent Magic Mouth spell continuously hounds the characters with insults, creating that spooky feeling.

And there's the whole blade barrier/ prismatic wall/ wall of fire thing that can be a real hassle to pass through to go to the next area.

How does this sound to you?  

Slave Xaccheus

Ariel Yardena Davidson

Questionable Firestarter

25,500 Points
  • Gender Swap 100
  • Threadmaster 200
  • Lavish Tipper 200
PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2010 6:05 pm
well, here's the thing.
a) 4th ed, but willing to use books from 3/3.5
b) guys - read the damn book or look for the wiki article. the manner of which i want to run this maze borrows QUITE heavily from the book. XP  
The Dungeons & Dragons Guild

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games