Welcome to Gaia! ::

Reality: Resurrection!

Back to Guilds

relax with us 

Tags: contests, games, variety 

Reply ®
Can Internet Dating Really Be Dangerous?

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

o0 Alura 0o

Beloved Millionaire

9,475 Points
  • Friendly 100
  • Millionaire 200
  • Tycoon 200
PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2009 7:19 pm

Can Internet Dating Really Be Dangerous?
User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.

Quote:
* “On the Internet, you may not actually know who the other person is.”—Manloar, 17.*

Quote:
* “People can lie on the Internet. It’s easy to put on a front.”—Koshi, 26.*

INTERNET dating continues to grow in popularity worldwide. Internet romances may blossom quickly, but they often wither when reality sets in. Still, there is a greater cause for concern than mere disappointment. Dating in this fashion may put you in serious danger—whether physical, emotional, or spiritual.

How can something that looks so innocent and safe—a computer terminal right in your own home—actually present a danger to you? Now, this is not to suggest that the entire is dishonest or that to use the Internet will make you dishonest. However, we must recognize that other people often are not honest and that as the quotations at the outset of this topic illustrate, the Internet seems to make certain kinds of dishonesty easier to practice and harder to detect. And when it comes to romantic attachments, dishonesty presents terrible dangers.

What is meant by “those who hide what they are”? Some people here would think “hypocrites.” As one reference work notes, this expression can be applied to “those who hide their purposes or designs from others, or who conceal their real character and intentions.” How is such dishonesty practiced on the Internet? And what dangers does this present to those who are looking for romance?

Wolves in Sheep’s Clothing ...?

A father named Michael was alarmed to learn at a seminar that a large proportion of children disobey parental rules against visiting dangerous Web sites.
Quote:
“What troubled me even more,” he says, “was the shocking realization that ***** can use the Internet to lure minors into debased sexual activities.”

When youths use the Internet to meet new people, they can be in far more danger than they realize...

Indeed, there have been news reports of adult sexual predators who pretend to be youths as they prowl the Internet seeking to prey on young ones. According to one study, “one-in-five kids who uses the Internet has been solicited for sex.” One newspaper also stated that 1 child in 33 between ages 10 and 17 were “aggressively stalked” through computer conversations.

Some young people have found, to their surprise, that the “youth” with whom they shared a budding romance over the Internet was actually an adult prison inmate. Other young ones have unwittingly become involved with sexual predators. These vile people first “groom” a prospective victim, building trust through friendly on-line chat. In time, though, they seek to meet in person in order to carry out their perverted desires. Tragically, young people have been beaten, raped, and even murdered as a result.

Wicked people do, indeed, “hide what they are” in order to find victims on the Internet. Anonymous communication through the Internet can make it almost impossible to see through such deception.
Quote:
“When you talk with someone in person,” says Koshi, quoted earlier, “you may learn something from his facial expressions and the tone of his voice. But on the Internet you don’t get any of that. It’s easy to be fooled.”

Wise, indeed.

Granted, not everyone you meet over the Internet is a dangerous predator. However, there are additional ways in which people “hide what they are.”

The Dangers of Deception and Secrecy

Not surprisingly, a common practice among those seeking romance on the Internet is to exaggerate or invent good traits and to minimize or conceal serious faults. Further, The Washington Post quoted an author as saying:
Quote:
“Internet dating can be bad because people get deceived.” It adds: “People often switch sexes. . . . Income levels, . . . race, criminal records, mental health histories and marital status often remain secret long into relationships.”
To warn others, many people have reported painful experiences of being misled by Internet dates.

Will people lie about something as important as their own gender? Sadly, yes—some claim to be male/female when they are not. Why all the deception? Again, one factor is that the Internet makes it easy. A young man from Ireland named Sean admits:
Quote:
“It’s very easy to pretend to be something you’re not when you’re typing onto a computer screen.”

Many people take all this deception lightly, rationalizing that "it is only natural to lie a little bit" when embarking on a romance. Remember, though, that IT'S NOT. And for good reason. Much of the pain and misery in this world stems from lying. Dishonesty is the worst possible basis for any relationship, especially one that is intended to lead to a Offline Reality.

Sadly, some young people have fallen into another sort of dishonesty. They have pursued relationships using the Internet and have hidden the fact from their parents. For example, the parents of a teenage son were startled one day when a young woman arrived unexpectedly at their home after traveling over 1,000 miles [1,500 km]. Their son had been dating her on-line for six months, but they knew nothing about her existence until that moment!

“How could this happen?” the parents asked. They thought, ‘Our son could not possibly have fallen for someone whom he had never met in person.’ In fact, their son had been deceiving them—in effect, hiding what he really was.

Would you not agree that such deceptions are a poor foundation for dating?

Choosing the Real Over the Virtual

Internet dating may present other dangers. In some cases, an on-line friend can become more real than the people whom you see each day. Family, friends, and responsibilities become secondary. A young woman named Monika, in Austria, says:
Quote:
“I started to neglect important relationships because I spent too much time on the computer with people I only know on-line.”
Troubled by this insight, she decided to quit using the Internet that way, and so much.

When it comes to dating, there is no substitute for meeting face-to-face

Of course, many ARE able to make balanced use of the Internet. Communication by E-mail can be a very helpful way to stay in touch with friends and loved ones. Surely you would agree, though, that nothing is quite the same as face-to-face contact. If you are “past the bloom of youth”—the time when sexual desires are at their peak—and are interested in dating, you are facing one of the most important choices you will make in your life. So, by all means, make a responsible decision.
Some Advice:
Quote:
“Anyone inexperienced puts faith in every word, but the shrewd one considers his steps.”
Rather than believing all that is written to you by someone you have never met, consider your steps carefully. It is far wiser to initiate meeting and making friends in person. Find out if you are truly compatible, especially when it comes to your long-term goals and values. Such a dating can lead to a truly Happy Relationship.

Thanks For Reading - BE SAFE !!!
User Image

PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2009 7:55 pm
Just like everything else in the world there is a good and a bad.
But with computers and people growing, it's hard to stop it.
but i do agree with the reason.
I really do thing it's dangerous, but there is really nothing to do but tell people not to do it and be safe and see what the take in their hands.

pure as snow

Fashionable Fairy

bluecherry
Vice Captain

PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2009 9:09 pm
Old news is old. neutral Any kid online who hasn't already been concerned by these things, which I'm sure they've heard a million times by now, is not about to be persuaded by this. While I agree minors should be a bit more cautious about who they will meet off the internet, for what, and under what conditions, I think it is ridiculous to act as if all people over the internet are less than real and just a bunch of impostors. As long as a kid isn't trying to run off and meet somebody alone in a secluded area or giving out information that could be used to track them down or steal their identity, I don't see anything wrong with putting high importance on relations with people you know over the internet. There are plenty of people who are perfectly fine individuals generally, but just have a hard time finding people to make very good friends with near where they live, so they may well find a number of people who mesh better with their personality over the internet than those who are available near them.

There's a really big, long established thread on internet dating in the Extended Discussion forum that you may want to go check out.  
PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2009 9:25 pm
I agree with you blue cherry, but people are doing that, they are going to places and seeing each other and bad things are happening. Everything might seen good and well at first but there are little children taking cars and going and i think it's a problem now that it's getting on the news  

pure as snow

Fashionable Fairy

bluecherry
Vice Captain

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2009 2:26 am
It's not just getting on the news, it's been on the news for quite a while now. Hell, I think there's a whole show made based on luring in and trapping adults who would seek to contact minors for sex. As I said at the start of my post, this is old news. Next, look at the other thing I said at the start of my post - since this is all old news you've provided which has been spread all over the place and nothing new, I think it is not going to change any minds it didn't the first 700+ times. Cautioning children is fine, but please try to work on areas and with methods that you might actually be effective in. Provide some uniquely new information (and not just different anecdotes I mean or updates to statistics) or some uncommon format for your advice perhaps or else you are proving to be little more useful than spam I'm afraid and would be better off working on finding a topic that hasn't been beaten to death quite so much.  
PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2009 7:19 pm
Wow, BlueCherry, such negativity and lack of understanding.

put it to you THIS WAY...

THERE ARE NEW YOUTHS EVERY DAY
that HAVEN'T YET heard about this stuff,
i ran into a few just a few days ago in Towns,
and that is what prompted me to post this article.

IF YOU feel that you've heard it too many times, then i agree with you,
maybe you SHOULD find another topic to share your input on.

There ARE people that STILL HAVEN'T heard about this,
and forgive me for wanting to do a little "pay-it-forward"
work in this guild by "Trying to make a difference"
and maybe " actually helping" someone through reading this post.

Just cause there hasn't been many comments,
DOESN'T MEAN there hasn't been many readers-
and you never know...
ONE OF THOSE READERS (yet a non commenter)
MAY BE hearing this type of information for the first time.

If i wouldn't have posted this.
You never know what may have happened.
Think positively.
It IS a way to HELP.

There is both GOOD and BAD sides to ALL things.
We all know this, Right ?
This was simply written to keep people safe,
and encourage the real young ones on this site
(we all know they're here)
to protect themselves, and use the internet safely.

*HuGz 4 ALL*

o0 Alura 0o

Beloved Millionaire

9,475 Points
  • Friendly 100
  • Millionaire 200
  • Tycoon 200

bluecherry
Vice Captain

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2009 11:48 am
Go to towns and preach it if you want on a person to person basis if you come across any noobs on there that are that damn ignorant, maybe that could get you a smidge of progress (I say "maybe" again though because if they are that bad off they haven't managed to hear it yet or think of it themselves then there is a high likelihood they are intentionally refusing to learn), but I doubt you'll come across them here. You are missing your target audience. Also, please do preach *caution* to them and not believing just everything they are told *enough to risk their lives on it* as opposed to a general "internet relationships suck! They don't count, they aren't real, and they are ALL liars about everything!"

Also, this "There is both GOOD and BAD sides to ALL things. " is something I highly disagree with. razz  
PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2009 11:59 am
Well obviously it can be dangerous. The guy you're dating might be a 40-year old *****.  

Wat wat in the

Eisenkrieger

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2009 9:15 pm
i say, if you wanna do it, fine by me. i honestly dont care who you talk to. go, be happy, make babies if ya wanna..... no stoppin you now.  
PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2009 9:21 pm
INTERNET DATING IS A DUMBASS THING TO DO!!!!!!! you dont know who the person is or what he/she has done, for all you know they could be some 40 year old rapist pretending to be a 16 year old hot-rod!!! DANGER DANGER wahmbulance wahmbulance  

lizzycat101

deathofbarney

Magnetic Kitten

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2009 7:41 am
I met my current boyfriend online,we were both dateing other people at the time.
We became really good friends for over a years talking, webcamming later on...
ALthough yes all that they say is true it is dangerous and risky, but if you are mature and carefull about it can be done to a great benifit. We now are happily liveing together  
PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2009 10:23 pm
I met my current girlfriend online. I met her once and wow she was really short to be 17 and sounded younger than 17 so I asked for her birth certificate for confirmation of age and yeah she is who she is. It is a risk but we are one the same. We risked it and found each other and we are perfect for each other. I mean perfect.  

jaytyl

Distinct Noob

®

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces