no
  maybe so maybe no
  i am second year but refuse to be sophomoric
View Results

chessiejo

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2009 1:20 pm
for all you sophomores out there!
wink

it means wise and foolish at once, but alas, more of the negative than the positive.

sophomoric, meaning "like a sophomore" but also "puerile, exhibiting immature behavior or thought". Since freshmen have even less exposure to education, we might expect this meaning to be attached to some word freshmanly (a possible word, by the way, but meaning only "freshmanlike"). The meaning of sophomoric seems a reflection of the wisdom in the old adage, a little knowledge is a dangerous thing.

In Play: The two adjectives based on Greek sophos "wise" in this sentence might seem unrelated: "My Elvira is a sophisticated sophomore and not the sophomoric freshman your Egbert is." But then how often have we seen words take weirder routes? It would be sophomoric to think such wild deviations from the original impossible.

Word History: The stems underlying today's good word support the suggestion that the meaning of sophomoric fits the adage mentioned above. It is an oxymoronic compound containing Greek sophos "wise" and moron, the neuter (neither masculine nor feminine) of moros "stupid". Obviously, we also use moron straight out of the Grecian box and sophos is also prominent in the name of those who love wisdom, philosophers. One of them once said, "The more I know, the more I realize how little I know."

http://www.alphadictionary.com/goodword/word/sophomore  
PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2009 9:26 pm
.,njxzvbbbbbggr surprised sweatdrop lol lol mad razz idea arrow rofl 4laugh dramallama wahmbulance emo talk2hand pirate pirate neutral ninja cry confused  

Ninja Otaku Gurl

chessiejo

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2009 6:43 pm
Ninja Otaku Gurl
.,njxzvbbbbbggr surprised sweatdrop lol lol mad razz idea arrow rofl 4laugh dramallama wahmbulance emo talk2hand pirate pirate neutral ninja cry confused

now that was more freshman than sophomoric, imho.  
PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2009 6:19 am
chessiejo
Ninja Otaku Gurl

lol

Sophos is also part of pansophic. (:  

Uadzit
Crew

Ghostly Shapeshifter

chessiejo

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2009 9:22 pm
Uadzit
chessiejo
Ninja Otaku Gurl

lol

Sophos is also part of pansophic. (:

why, so it is!  
6: Pansophic Polls

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas