Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Uadzit
Crew

Ghostly Shapeshifter

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2009 7:03 am
Topic: Poe Toaster & poetaster

Today we mark the bicentennial of the birth of Edgar Allan Poe. The life of that literary critic, poet, and father of the detective fiction genre was brief, sad, and marred by tragedy and failure. His death itself was (and still is) a mystery: among other things, his death at age 41 was blamed on alcohol, cholera, tuberculosis, rabies, and sexually transmitted diseases.

60 years ago, on Poe's death centennial, the first Poe Toaster visited the Baltimore grave of Edgar Allan Poe. Who (or what) is a Poe Toaster? The Poe Toaster is a person dressed in black and carrying a cane, cognac, and roses. Each year on January 19th, he or she visits Poe's grave, raises a cognac toast, lays down three roses and half a bottle of cognac, before hurrying off into the shadows. The identity of the Poe Toaster has remained a mystery, although some watchers have their suspicions.

The secretive Poe Toaster is a classic Baltimore character, and the term Poe toaster is one character—one O—away from poetaster. What's a poetaster? "A versifier"; "a writer of worthless or inferior verses." Playwright Ben Jonson borrowed the term poetaster from Latin at the turn of the 17th century. That term, originally used by Erasmus, combines the Latin poeta meaning "poet," plus –aster, the suffix that in Latin denotes partial resemblance and in English means "one that is inferior or not genuine." Although poetaster is hardly common, it wouldn't be fair to say we expect to hear it nevermore.

Questions or comments? Write us at wftw@aol.com Production and research support for Word for the Wise comes from Merriam-Webster, publisher of language reference books and Web sites including Merriam-Webster's Collegiate Dictionary, Eleventh Edition.  
PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2009 5:01 am
this still happens at Jim Morrison's grave in Paris.

http://images.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://z.about.com/d/studenttravel/1/0/j/A/morris_plach_ef_06.jpg&imgrefurl=http://studenttravel.about.com/od/eftoursphotos/ig/Pere-Lachaise-Paris-Cemetery/morris_plach_ef_06.htm&usg=__eL7_ZQxNi81kQV9QOfH5df-7hCw=&h=450&w=600&sz=292&hl=en&start=19&um=1&tbnid=4-Z4iXkVBH_nBM:&tbnh=101&tbnw=135&prev=/images?q=jim+morrison+grave&gbv=2&um=1&hl=en&client=firefox-a&rls=org.mozilla:en-US surprised fficial&sa=N

he was the troubled lead singer of the Doors.  

chessiejo

Rosenfall

7,050 Points
  • Bunny Spotter 50
  • Team Edward 100
  • Team Jacob 100
PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2010 10:51 am
I miss this thread  
PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2010 2:32 pm
i miss the thread maker!  

chessiejo

Dali Napoli

Ghost of Hearts

16,400 Points
  • The Sweetest 250
  • The Edgiest 250
PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2010 6:56 pm
You will take good care of me, and I'll be your caretaker. You'll be the maker of the threads. I'll be the thread maker. xd heart  
PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2010 11:13 am
ah, a skill i envy but cannot emulate
User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.  

chessiejo

6: Pansophic Polls

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff