Submit

Uadzit
Crew

Ghostly Shapeshifter

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2008 8:29 am
*********> • HEB-uh-tood • noun
: lethargy, dullness

Example Sentence:
The ********* and ennui displayed by such bright students was just one sign that they were not being sufficiently challenged in their classes.

Did you know?
"*********" usually suggests mental dullness, often marked by laziness or torpor. As such, it was a good word for one Queenslander correspondent, who wrote in a letter to the editor of the Weekend Australian of "an epidemic of ********* among young people who … are placing too great a reliance on electronic devices to do their thinking and remembering." "*********" comes from Late Latin "*********," which means pretty much the same thing as our word. It is also closely related to the Latin word for "dull" -- "*********," which has extended meanings such as "obtuse," "doltish," and "stupid." Other "*********-" words in English include "*********" ("marked by *********") and "*********" ("to make dull").  
PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2008 6:37 pm
doesn't it come from *********, the godess of youth?

which is unusual since we also get the terms
*********, *********. Adolescent insanity. Coined by the German psychiatrist Ewald Hecker in 1871.
2. A pubescent or adolescent psychological disorder characterized by silly behavior, volatile emotions, hallucinations, and mental deterioration.
3. From a psychiatric dictionary: A syndrome characterized by shallow and inappropriate affect, giggling, and silly, regressive behavior and mannerisms; a subtype of schizophrenia now renamed disorganized schizophrenia.  

chessiejo

Living Ink
Crew

PostPosted: Sun Dec 14, 2008 9:33 am
All I see is a bunch of asterisks...

sweatdrop  
PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2008 5:42 am
pardon me whilst i giggle and have silly regressive behavior  

chessiejo

6: Pansophic Polls

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff