Welcome to Gaia! ::

Reality: Resurrection!

Back to Guilds

relax with us 

Tags: contests, games, variety 

Reply 11: The Intelligent Cogitation: For the Master Debaters
What constitutes something as "natural"?

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

What is your life quest?
  To find these "natural things"...
  I seek the holy grail. (My favourite colour is blue! No, wait! AHHHHHHHHHHRGHHGHHGH)
  To answer this poll.. *does so*
  To type this sentence (my perspective guys)
  This poll isn't very good (and it isn't) but good question! I'll post a nice response for yah.
View Results

uniballoon

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2008 6:56 pm
A lot of people say things like "I don't like that, because it's not natural."

I once ran into someone who said they were "...on quest, for natural things."

What do you say to that? I said, "That's cool," because it was.

But after thinking about it awhile, I thought to myself, "What exactly is natural? Moreover what exactly isn't natural?"

Everything has intrinsic nature. If something didn't have a nature, it wouldn't exist. The natures of things that exist contain in their natures at least their own existance, eh?

So my answer is that everything is natural, naturally, even if it's "man-made".

Humans are natural things, and we produce things... so what? Why should our creations be considered separate from the creations of the universe? No way, it's all the same guys.

Anyway having read my thoughts, let's hear your's.  
PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2008 7:00 pm
uniballoon

Humans are natural things, and we produce things... so what? Why should our creations be considered separate from the creations of the universe? No way, it's all the same guys.

After reading this part, I was thinking, "Wow, that's so true". Before that, I was thinking, "I guess natural means... stuff you find in nature". I didn't give your topic much thought until I read the quoted part.

But now, I can't help but wonder that same question with you (what is "natural"), and agree with what you said. Still, I'm confused as to what is really "natural" in the world.

Well, sorry, but what you wrote has definitely given me something to think about now. I don't have much more thoughts on the topic than that, but maybe after I sort some ideas out, I can return and give you a more proper opinion. I thank you for getting the ball rollin', though. 3nodding It certainly gives me another topic to debate with myself.

Tasty Crayons

uniballoon

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2008 8:53 am
Tasty Crayons
uniballoon

After reading this part, I was thinking, "Wow, that's so true". Before that, I was thinking, "I guess natural means... stuff you find in nature". I didn't give your topic much thought until I read the quoted part.

But now, I can't help but wonder that same question with you (what is "natural"), and agree with what you said. Still, I'm confused as to what is really "natural" in the world.

Well, sorry, but what you wrote has definitely given me something to think about now. I don't have much more thoughts on the topic than that, but maybe after I sort some ideas out, I can return and give you a more proper opinion. I thank you for getting the ball rollin', though. 3nodding It certainly gives me another topic to debate with myself.
^_^ no thank you! your response made it worthwhile (i see few (none) others really paid attention to this post  
PostPosted: Sat Dec 27, 2008 12:24 pm
I solemnly swear I am up to no good.

To me, natural is everything we had BEFORE technology and before humans screwed up everything. Animals, plants, soil, pure air. Yeah, everything has nature, but that doesn't make it natural. Everything is made from something, and stuff like that takes the naturality of one thing and kills it.
Or something.
But natural is like, stuff before technology to me. Like before, when humans hunted and picked berries and made clothes out of their surroundings.

Mischief managed.

PyroDogs94

8,200 Points
  • Team Jacob 100
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Peoplewatcher 100

uPrincess Bubblegum

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2009 6:26 pm
The term "natural" means, to be produced by nature. Something natural is not artificially made, altered or changed in any way. So, something 'man made' cannot be natural (to me, anyway), since people alter the initial product into something different. It's like the difference between organic fruit and fruits with pesticides. I can sort of see your point of view:
"Humans are natural things, and we produce things... so what? Why should our creations be considered separate from the creations of the universe? No way, it's all the same guys."
However, certain things just cannot be labelled as natural, even though something natural made it. I think man made can be considered the exact opposite of natural, and something that is manufactured or made artificially is not part of nature.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2010 3:35 am
Natural is the unreformed object from the origin of origins. You can say these simply as raw materials. Natural means that it was untouched by uncommon ways. It can be organisms or even as simple as stones.

Something which isn't natural is the complete opposite of natural due to the be-verb "not". Not natural things can only be triggered by organisms like a huge mass of elephants running would trigger an earthquake. Genetically Modified Organisms (GMO) is a good example of this.  

Thyplosion

Unsealed Power

12,725 Points
  • Informer 100
  • Battle: Cleric 100
  • That One Hero 500

The Gas Man Cometh

PostPosted: Sun Aug 15, 2010 5:39 am
Anything 'of nature' is natural. That's it, really.  
11: The Intelligent Cogitation: For the Master Debaters

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games