Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Uadzit
Crew

Ghostly Shapeshifter

PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2008 8:27 am
Topic: Chinese terms from Chinese food

With the Summer Olympics now fading away in our rear view mirror, today we mark the 1949 anniversary of the founding of the People's Republic of China with a look at—what else?—language from that region.

Plenty of terms that entered English from Chinese name foods from Chinese society. Consider the kumquat, which literally means "gold citrus fruit"; and lo mein, which means "stirred noodles" in Guangdong. Then there's longan, a fruit related to the lychee. Longan translates as "dragon's eye," a fine name for the small round fruit which, when peeled, features translucent flesh with a black seed inside. Kungpao (meaning "stir fried" or sometimes "deep fried and served in a spicy hot sauce usually with peanuts") has a Chinese ancestor meaning "palace guardian."

Then there's brainwashing, which, when it first appeared in English during the 1950s, was associated with the Korean War. But brainwashing—forcible indoctrination to induce someone to give up basic political, social, or religious beliefs or attitudes and to accept contrasting regimented ideas—is actually a translation of the Chinese "to wash the brain." It was long associated with activities practiced during the early days of the People's Republic, although nowadays brainwashing has a less physical application too, describing persuasion by propaganda or salesmanship.

Questions or comments? Write us at wftw@aol.com Production and research support for Word for the Wise comes from Merriam-Webster, publisher of language reference books and Web sites including Merriam-Webster's Collegiate Dictionary, Eleventh Edition.  
PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2008 10:13 am
the more i see and hear ads, the less likely i am to buy the product.

experience has taught me that these vendors put more money in advertising than into the quality of whatever they are pushing.

no brainwashing for me!  

chessiejo

Eggy-Egg

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2008 8:50 pm
Ooh, I like lychees. xD

Quote:
the more i see and hear ads, the less likely i am to buy the product.

Same thing goes for me with fandoms. =__= Seriously, High School Musical. What's up with that? It's not that great.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2008 3:47 am
I'm the same way. Plus, I loathe advertising, so I refuse to support companies who clutter my environment with their sales garbage. I need Adblock for real life! XD  

Uadzit
Crew

Ghostly Shapeshifter

chessiejo

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2008 6:12 am
and another thing!

:power up for rant:

these guys spend money on ads when their product is FAILING!

BMW has tons of ads to buy their wonderful certified used cars...
AND THEY ARE ALL ON RECALL! for serious defects!

Prudential dumps tons of ads on us about how they are as reliable as the rock of Gibraltar...
WHEN THEY ARE PAYING MILLIONS IN FINES FOR FRAUD AND MISMANAGEMENT!  
PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2008 4:42 pm
Quote:
BMW has tons of ads to buy their wonderful certified used cars...
AND THEY ARE ALL ON RECALL! for serious defects!

"It's not just cars that can be called back to their makers." xDDD;; So drive carefully~

This is why you stick to a company that you can trust, and not fall for the seductive advertising of new cars, no matter what company they're from. Advertising has gone to a whole new level these days.

Eggy-Egg

Uadzit
Crew

Ghostly Shapeshifter

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2008 5:05 am
I love BMW, but only the old ones (like pre-90's old). XD  
PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2008 10:59 am
exactly!

starting around 90, they lost power and started stalling.

no good, for a sports sedan!  

chessiejo

The Other JayJ

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2008 8:03 am
I LOE FOOD  
PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2008 1:06 pm
ok  

The Other JayJ

The Other JayJ

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2008 5:00 pm
cheese  
6: Pansophic Polls