Reply 6: Pansophic Polls
Word for the Wise, August 12

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

My friend has turned me on to this British show called Qi
  which stands for "quite interesting"
  It's a quiz show with lots of interesting facts.
  It's also hysterically funny, as the panelists are all comedians.
  It's hosted by Stephen Fry, who I adore.
View Results

Uadzit
Crew

Ghostly Shapeshifter

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2008 6:56 am
Topic: Terms & the general lexicon

IBM introduced what it called its PC—personal computer—on this date in 1981. Although the term PC had been around for a few years by then, the popularity of the machine helped popularize use of the word PC.

PC is not the first term to have been around a few years before it was considered established enough to earn a place in the dictionary. In fact, it is usual and even common for some time to pass before a word spreads into the general lexicon. Last month's release of the latest edition of the Collegiate Dictionary includes a number of words whose first appearance in print dates back farther than you might think: prosecco, a dry Italian sparkling wine, dates to 1881; the sense of wing nut naming one who advocates extreme measures or changes; a radical, first appeared around the turn of the 20th century; and fanboy, a boy who is an enthusiastic devotee, as of comics or movies, made its print debut in 1919.

That's not to say, by the way, that a word necessarily must be around for decades before it's ripe for inclusion in the dictionary. Netroots—a term for grassroots political activists who communicate via the Internet, especially by blogs—dates back only to 2003, while subprime and Texas Hold'em go back to 1995.

Questions or comments? Write us at wftw@aol.com Production and research support for Word for the Wise comes from Merriam-Webster, publisher of language reference books and Web sites including Merriam-Webster's Collegiate Dictionary, Eleventh Edition.  
PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2008 5:03 am
everything old is new again!

it is fascinating how ancient some of these supposed neologisms are!

i wonder how old the word "cool" is, in the non-temperature sense?

i would guess 1920 or so.  

chessiejo

6: Pansophic Polls

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces