Reply 72: Science & Astronomy Hangout
Photon Fundamental...

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Corvius

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2007 1:53 pm
Dont mind the title, just something catchy that I wanted for my thread...

But, I have a question for you guys. I need the anwser in a simplified form so as for me to understand. I am a Sophmore in High School and so i might not know/understand all the words and information you say. But, here is my question:

Are photons made up of something? Do they have some fundamental or molcular make-up? If not, then how can gravity effect them and how can they impact like a particle?

My science teacher who is going for a Master/PH.D in Science says that they should be made up of something. She suggested I try and research it and that she would too. I have come across a lot of very confusing and contradictory information. I was wondering if you guys would be as so kind as to help me in this discussion...  
PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2008 2:44 am
Well, to what I know, photons are just packages of energy, and not matter, since they don't have a mass, which of course means that they aren't made up of molecules.

The fact that they impact like particles is due to the duality of light [I don't know if you've yet seen it] : light does not only behave like a wave, but also like a particle [And De Broglie generalized this relation to any particle in movement], even though they have no mass.

But I don't think gravity affects them, precisely because they have no mass.

Eudes IV

Unwary Wanderer

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2008 10:12 pm
But photons are affected by gravity. Although black holes have been theorized to glow, the glow comes from outgoing radiation. Not reflected light, because light doesn't escape the gravity of a black hole. So they are affected by gravity. Or could it be the electromagnetism? I'm gonna read some more, sry.  
PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2008 4:40 pm
IgnatiusJesse
But photons are affected by gravity. Although black holes have been theorized to glow, the glow comes from outgoing radiation. Not reflected light, because light doesn't escape the gravity of a black hole. So they are affected by gravity. Or could it be the electromagnetism? I'm gonna read some more, sry.
Or it is what the black hole has not got to and is thus throw out, or the rest in replaced with radiation.  

UF6

Thyplosion

Unsealed Power

12,725 Points
  • Informer 100
  • Battle: Cleric 100
  • That One Hero 500
PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2010 10:31 pm
Hm, make a research on Albert Einstein's Theory of Relativity. It's not gravity that pulls light energy. As we all now, everything that has color absorbs light energy. Thus, releasing it to be seen. Making the surrounding light bend. Well, all of these are correct if my memory serves me and I analyzed it correctly.

Oh, if light energy cannot escape from black holes, why does it glow? You have contradicted yourself.  
72: Science & Astronomy Hangout

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games