Zphal
Vice Captain

Shameless Humorist

24,750 Points
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Gender Swap 100
  • Guildmember 100
PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2008 8:25 pm
I lie everynight. I can't get to sleep if I don't.  
PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2008 5:15 am
AngelBlackChaos
Miniar
AngelBlackChaos

But lying requires an intention by definition. It is a commonly known expression, and since it is commonly used to convey a certain feeling that is understandable to the common person, it is not a lie.

By some defenitions, not all defenitions of the word "lie" include intent.
Some definitions merely require you to be aware of the falsehood of your words/reference. I would think that most people are aware that there are no litteral butterflies are involved.
If we go back to my original word howvever, as it wasn't me who brought butterflies into this debate, but the sunrise.
The "lie" that is the sunrise is innately different than the butterflies in the stomach as we actually mean to imply the rising of the sun instead of a different and relatively unrelated actuality as is the case with the butterflies.
Well here's the definition of sunrise:

sunrise
Pronunciation: ˈsən-ˌrīz
Function: noun
Date: 15th century
1: the apparent rising of the sun above the horizon; also : the accompanying atmospheric effects
2: the time when the upper limb of the sun appears above the horizon as a result of the diurnal rotation of the earth

if a word is considered a word instead of slang, it has to have a common definition accepted by most cultures. The word sunrise was widely accepted with its definition well within the fifteenth century, and since its definition includes both the appearance and the actuality of the specific act for which the word is used, your point is moot.

Yes, because we all know that the dictionary defenition that everyone "means" when they speak a word?
I'm sorry but your nitpicking doesn't render the entirety of my point moot, just because you can pick apart "one word" within my point.  

Miniar

AngelBlackChaos

PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2008 10:11 pm
Miniar
AngelBlackChaos
Miniar
AngelBlackChaos

But lying requires an intention by definition. It is a commonly known expression, and since it is commonly used to convey a certain feeling that is understandable to the common person, it is not a lie.

By some defenitions, not all defenitions of the word "lie" include intent.
Some definitions merely require you to be aware of the falsehood of your words/reference. I would think that most people are aware that there are no litteral butterflies are involved.
If we go back to my original word howvever, as it wasn't me who brought butterflies into this debate, but the sunrise.
The "lie" that is the sunrise is innately different than the butterflies in the stomach as we actually mean to imply the rising of the sun instead of a different and relatively unrelated actuality as is the case with the butterflies.
Well here's the definition of sunrise:

sunrise
Pronunciation: ˈsən-ˌrīz
Function: noun
Date: 15th century
1: the apparent rising of the sun above the horizon; also : the accompanying atmospheric effects
2: the time when the upper limb of the sun appears above the horizon as a result of the diurnal rotation of the earth

if a word is considered a word instead of slang, it has to have a common definition accepted by most cultures. The word sunrise was widely accepted with its definition well within the fifteenth century, and since its definition includes both the appearance and the actuality of the specific act for which the word is used, your point is moot.

Yes, because we all know that the dictionary defenition that everyone "means" when they speak a word?
I'm sorry but your nitpicking doesn't render the entirety of my point moot, just because you can pick apart "one word" within my point.
Well it does destroy your central point in your argument, something that you had used to previously prove your point, making your point moot. Second of all, as I previously stated, it is considered a COMMON word, not even archaic or advanced. If you have another point you want me to explain, please write it. If not, I consider this finished.  
PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2008 10:07 am
AngelBlackChaos
Well it does destroy your central point in your argument, something that you had used to previously prove your point, making your point moot. Second of all, as I previously stated, it is considered a COMMON word, not even archaic or advanced. If you have another point you want me to explain, please write it. If not, I consider this finished.

A small example of my point, not the proof there of.
If you would like to debate my "point" as opposed my choice of words, that's fine by me.  

Miniar

AngelBlackChaos

PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2008 10:23 pm
To Miniar:

I was debating from out of your original post, where you used an example as on of your main points. I counterpointed with an example of my own, to which you counterpointed, to which I counterpointed with success, proving the word sunrise is a lie, to which you claimed not everyone knew what it meant, to which I counterpointed with a previous statement that already proved it. Overall, I agree with the original, what we debated about was whether the word "sunrise" is an expression or a lie. A way you could have made your argument more poignant (in the section where you tried to explain there are little lies that are told every day), you could have used the example of the "How are you doing today" (which most people reply "fine" even when they are not)instead, which has been used commonly in debates as an effective way to prove your point.

I WAS debating the choice of words, to explain how you can prove your argument without using that point, which overall weakened your argument. I was merely suggesting to improve it by using a different point. You argued that the point was valid in the first place.  
PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2008 5:32 pm
To lie is good. Telling always the truth can be painful. confused
I am every honest 90 percent of the time. I am afraid to tell the truth because I know that I will get hurt...Has happened..I was truthful to my mom and she nearly kicked me out of the house.

:[

Nemsy

xxAbsol95xx

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2008 10:45 am
Telling lies every now and then is ok but if you lie all the time your life will become just one big lie.  
11: The Intelligent Cogitation: For the Master Debaters

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff