Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Dungeons & Dragons Guild

Back to Guilds

A Dungeons & Dragons Roleplaying Guild - We have many active games, join requests are checked often, and everyone is accepted. 

Tags: Dungeons, Dragons, Roleplaying, Dungeons and Dragons 

Reply The Dungeons & Dragons Guild
Rainy Days are here again - Another L5R 4e Campaign? Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 7 8 9 10 11 12 ... 15 16 17 18 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Raganui Minamoto

Distinct Prophet

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2015 10:15 pm
Right... they'd be more tacky than regular swords though. Hmm... I think I'll go with poetry.

Also, about the Himura thing, was curious for things like 'Kharmatic Bond' and other advantages and such connecting between people. Such as if someone's running a female and wanted to be married (either happily or bitterly). Or other just backstory things.  
PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2015 10:17 pm
A restriction I'm going to place on samurai schools other than the Himura Bushi school (an additional 'penalty' for learning not from a proper sensei): You can not increase any of your school skills above rank 2. (normally, it's up to 2 higher) EDIT: STARTING School Skills. You can increase it after game starts.

It's not quite a penalty per se, since you can still spend the points elsewhere. But no rank 3 or 4 school skills if someone goes elsewhere.

If someone wants to go ahead and give me an approved Different School advantage (which you don't need to take to be taught by your parents), you will forgo this penalty. Brotherhood monks and Ronin schools do not suffer this penalty. They can do whatever the frak they want because they're awesome like that!  

Rain Yupa
Captain

Enduring Member

Rain Yupa
Captain

Enduring Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2015 10:37 pm
Raganui Minamoto
Right... they'd be more tacky than regular swords though. Hmm... I think I'll go with poetry.

Also, about the Himura thing, was curious for things like 'Kharmatic Bond' and other advantages and such connecting between people. Such as if someone's running a female and wanted to be married (either happily or bitterly). Or other just backstory things.

Okay... did you have any questions about them?  
PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2015 10:41 pm
No real question, Rain. Just a thought on 'hey, if we're both from this thing, do you want to have any connecting backstory' and such.  

Raganui Minamoto

Distinct Prophet

Rain Yupa
Captain

Enduring Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2015 11:15 pm
Since I was talking to Paidi about it, I decided to do a summary post about various school options, to have it consolidated:

Unlimited Access Schools
Himura Bushi School
Brotherhood of Shinsei Monks
Any Ronin schools*

Kind Of Limited Access Schools
Crab or Scorpion Bushi/Courtier schools, with good background explaining why.
Spider Monk school, with a good background explaining why.
Dragon, Phoenix, Spider Bushi/Courtier schools, with a half-arsed background explaining why.

Limited Access Schools
Crab or Scorpion Shugenja schools, with a very very good background to convince me why.
Dragon, Phoenix, Spider Shugenja schools, with a good background explaining why.
Phoenix Monk school, with a very very good background to convince me why (their sensei can travel, plus they live on the coast, but you will have to dedicate chunks of your character's time to ranking up).

Pretty Much Restricted Schools
Anything Crane, Mantis, Unicorn, Lion - Any background you make has to really impress me, and realize you're probably coming in with some disadvantages of my choosing (you still get points though). Expect to have to work at trying to be taught... which is the Black Sheep disadvantage, now that I think about it.
Tattooed Monks - because like I said, you have to go to great lengths TO level up - traveling over a thousand miles by ship, probably another couple hundred by land, then scale some mountains just to get ink done. They are totally willing to have you, but you have to be willing to banish yourself from the game for large periods of IC time just to rank up. This is listed here as a courtesy.

What the Different School advantage does for you - You already have a sensei, who can be in the Colonies (with my approval). You aren't trained by your parents, you are trained by him/her. You can have your normal starting skill limit of X+2 (X is starting school rank, almost always 1 but sometimes 2, while other skills are 0). You can rely on them being there.

If you do not take this advantage, you are restricted to Rank 1 UNTIL you buy the advantage (which you will ALSO need to earn IC, you can't just buy it and that's that), and you can not have any skills above 2 until you start earning XP. So finding a sensei may be a personal goal for you. However, this may end up allowing you to take Multiple Schools instead.

All that applies to samurai schools, of course. Monks just monk. Ronin training is a lot more informal, and we can work around it if it ever comes up.

*Ronin rules are on p234. 'Clan Ronin' is basically what you are when you take the 'My parents teach me' route. When you would hit rank 2, you can take a Rank 2 Ronin Path School instead if you want. You can also take either 'True Ronin' option. Option 1 is no family or school bonus, but +25 points to spend, basically "skipping" your School Rank 1. Option 2 is no family bonus, +10 points, and you can take Rank 1 Ronin Path School.  
PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2015 11:40 pm
... Rain, does that rank problem apply to Himura since... ya know, Kraken? Or was that just poor wording on your part?

Also, how old is the Kraken?  

Raganui Minamoto

Distinct Prophet

Paidi tou Selini
Crew

Adorable Abductee

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2015 2:18 am
It does not apply to Himura, since we don't have to get Different School to learn our own school.

Also also, what are our clan colors? sweatdrop  
PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2015 2:48 am
Paidi tou Selini
It does not apply to Himura, since we don't have to get Different School to learn our own school.

Also also, what are our clan colors? sweatdrop
Hey, ya know, just a 'better safe to ask, than be sorry'

Also, yea, clan colors are a thing, aren't they? Perhaps they're based on whichever clan our founder came from?  

Raganui Minamoto

Distinct Prophet

Plainsfox

Romantic Paladin

10,600 Points
  • Battle Hardened 150
  • Team Jacob 100
  • Bunny Hunter 100
PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2015 3:05 am
Guess it's up to us to decide, eh?

purple polkadots on orange!

j/k

how about green, grey, and red? ><  
PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2015 4:02 am
Green is parent clan and grey kinda fits, but red is neither parent nor ocean-y. >_>  

Paidi tou Selini
Crew

Adorable Abductee

Raganui Minamoto

Distinct Prophet

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2015 4:12 am
Is Green, Grey, White taken?  
PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2015 4:53 am
Color of the suction cups? Got me >< Green and grey sound fine enough for me.  

Plainsfox

Romantic Paladin

10,600 Points
  • Battle Hardened 150
  • Team Jacob 100
  • Bunny Hunter 100

Paidi tou Selini
Crew

Adorable Abductee

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2015 12:39 pm
Seagreen and white, just to show how better we are than the Mantis? xd  
PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2015 1:18 pm
In the words of the Immortal Emperor Palpatine...

Do it.  

Raganui Minamoto

Distinct Prophet

Rain Yupa
Captain

Enduring Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2015 2:56 pm
Update for the Metaplot, mainly concerning who Iweko I declared as heir official.

EDIT: Also, while researching the wiki, though some information is missing and sometimes information is contradictory, it looks like Crane, Mantis, Spider, and Unicorn support Shibatsu, and Scorpion and Lion supported Seiken (I presume that meant Dragon, Phoenix, and Crab as well).

Funny, how Crane, Unicorn, and Mantis (which I said would not favor you) support one, no? Lion is kind of a wild card with minor clans, since I don't think they've EVER liked ANY minor clan. Meaning, Dragon, Phoenix, Crab, and Scorpion, the ones you aren't so restricted by, favor Seiken.

I think this answers who Iweko II is in my take of things! biggrin  
The Dungeons & Dragons Guild

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 7 8 9 10 11 12 ... 15 16 17 18 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces