Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Dungeons & Dragons Guild

Back to Guilds

A Dungeons & Dragons Roleplaying Guild - We have many active games, join requests are checked often, and everyone is accepted. 

Tags: Dungeons, Dragons, Roleplaying, Dungeons and Dragons 

Reply The Dungeons & Dragons Guild
Anyone up for a 4E game? Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 7 8 9 10 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Suicidesoldier#1

Fanatical Zealot

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2012 3:04 pm
Sardonic Smite
Apparently, I'm a crappy DM because I won't allow someone to play a character that can't seem exist within the DnD Moral Paradigm.

Duly noted.

I don't care.

If you overtly say "Don't play this guy, I don't want you to", I'll say "Okay, I won't!" blaugh

And try another or leave.

But sense your basis is in that I have to follow strict guide-lines to follow a specific set of codes I thought I'd have a conversation about it.

In 4E their morality isn't as strict or inherent to gameplay as in other books.

And there's nothing to suggest that you had to have done things in the past that would have gotten you arrested or being a wanted men just for possessing said character morality.  
PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2012 3:07 pm
Suicidesoldier#1

And there's nothing to suggest that you had to have done things in the past that would have gotten you arrested or being a wanted men just for possessing said character morality.

There's nothing per se, but that's not the issue. The issue is that your character concept is, as you have it, illogical to me.  

Sardonic Smite

Suicidesoldier#1

Fanatical Zealot

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2012 3:17 pm
Sardonic Smite
Suicidesoldier#1

There's nothing per se, but that's not the issue. The issue is that your character concept is, as you have it, illogical to me.

Well yeah, he's a crazy person.

There's not really a lot of logic behind it. xp

In the right situation he might explode and kill 50 people; but it really depends on what that might be.

It might even be on the flip of a coin.

But I think I'll go with the dwarf, if I can.

I think it would go with this campaign better. 3nodding  
PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2012 3:34 pm
Suicidesoldier#1

In the right situation he might explode and kill 50 people; but it really depends on what that might be.

See, that's the thing: That's exactly the kind of player mentality that most DMs would not want in their games. The ones who derail plot because of the impulse to do something overtly bad, for no real reason than because the player wanted to.

That said, I did state that I mostly only wanted a spot if it didn't fill up, and I'd feel bad keeping out someone from the game who really wanted to play. As the DM, it's your call, but I'd personally be happier if you at least considered Suicide's far-less-tempermental character concept.  

Rain Yupa
Captain

Enduring Member

Suicidesoldier#1

Fanatical Zealot

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2012 3:39 pm
Rain Yupa
Suicidesoldier#1

See, that's the thing: That's exactly the kind of player mentality that most DMs would not want in their games. The ones who derail plot because of the impulse to do something overtly bad, for no real reason than because the player wanted to.

That said, I did state that I mostly only wanted a spot if it didn't fill up, and I'd feel bad keeping out someone from the game who really wanted to play. As the DM, it's your call, but I'd personally be happier if you at least considered Suicide's far-less-tempermental character concept.

But, there are things he would simply never do.

And derailing the plot is unlikely. xp

I mean it would all be plot oriented.

Not like I'mna go be like "Nope, leaving the group behind to go work in a coffee shop" any time soon lol  
PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2012 11:05 pm
Suicidesoldier#1
Rain Yupa
Suicidesoldier#1

Not like I'mna go be like "Nope, leaving the group behind to go work in a coffee shop" any time soon lol

Look... I have an idea! My idea is suck it up and let listen to the Dungeon Master. If he doesn't want to have an Evil character in the campaign, then goddammit don't make it difficult! I've Dungeon Mastered a lot before, and if their is one thing that pisses me off, it's a difficult player who will not give something up for the story line (Don't even get me started about that).  

wabbradford

Suicidesoldier#1

Fanatical Zealot

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2012 11:42 pm
wabbradford
Suicidesoldier#1
Rain Yupa
Suicidesoldier#1

Look... I have an idea! My idea is suck it up and let listen to the Dungeon Master. If he doesn't want to have an Evil character in the campaign, then goddammit don't make it difficult! I've Dungeon Mastered a lot before, and if their is one thing that pisses me off, it's a difficult player who will not give something up for the story line (Don't even get me started about that).

Yeah, that's what I'm doing.  
PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2012 2:17 am
If you're making the 'morally grey' argument, you're still describing an unaligned character. Evil characters are morally black. You've expressed two disparate intents: to be 'evil' and morally grey. Unaligned is the quintessential wiggle-room alignment, embrace it.  

Arc Vembris
Crew

Vampfighter1
Crew

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2012 3:43 pm
I hate to be the next person to spark the argument, but I'm wanting to ezpirience the work of our newest PbP DM here.  
PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2012 6:44 pm
Arc Vembris
If you're making the 'morally grey' argument, you're still describing an unaligned character. Evil characters are morally black. You've expressed two disparate intents: to be 'evil' and morally grey. Unaligned is the quintessential wiggle-room alignment, embrace it.

Just that my evilness doesn't have to fit a particular stereotype in order to be evil.

Evilness exists in multiple forms and the world isn't black and white.

Hence I don't have to be just like some random person's idea of an evil character to be an evil character.

But mah dwarf will be more powerful than anyone of you can even imagine; so I guess I'll got with that. xp

You forced this on yourself!

In comes the axe which is only 1 point away from a mordenkrad yet I'm still using a shield. dramallama  

Suicidesoldier#1

Fanatical Zealot

Arc Vembris
Crew

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2012 7:26 pm
Sardonic Smite
The final PC list is as follows:

Players
1. wabbradford
2. Rain Yupa
3. Absolute Virtue
4. KytanaTheThief
5. Vampfighter1
6. Arc Vembris

Chosen based on character concept.

More information forthcoming.

I hope yah dwarf has another game lined up, you're not in this one. Your evilness is so un-evil it's not even evil. Unaligned is that banner waved by those who proclaim the world not to be black or white. If you're gonna be evil, you have to own it. That's the result of the looser alignment bars in 4e, that if you're gonna commit to being good or evil it means it's a definite state. You ARE evil or you ARE good. Otherwise you've got a big non-judgmental, inspecific and far more realistic unaligned pool to fall in.  
PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2012 7:27 pm
Arc Vembris
Sardonic Smite
The final PC list is as follows:

Players
1. wabbradford
2. Rain Yupa
3. Absolute Virtue
4. KytanaTheThief
5. Vampfighter1
6. Arc Vembris

Chosen based on character concept.

More information forthcoming.

I hope yah dwarf has another game lined up, you're not in this one. Your evilness is so un-evil it's not even evil. Unaligned is that banner waved by those who proclaim the world not to be black or white. If you're gonna be evil, you have to own it. That's the result of the looser alignment bars in 4e, that if you're gonna commit to being good or evil it means it's a definite state. You ARE evil or you ARE good. Otherwise you've got a big non-judgmental, inspecific and far more realistic unaligned pool to fall in.

In comes the concept of morally grey dude, nothing is blatantly black and white.

But I guess that was just a random thing thrown in at the end.

What your expectation of what an evil character would do doesn't have to match what my evil character would do.

You may burn a whole village down; mine might simply let it burn down and ignore them for his central quest which is ultimately evil but ignores others.

What if I was cruel and manipulative and simply spread lies or told others what to do or fought my way up a corporate ladder or something.

Still evil but nothing would be overtly obvious or illegal about it.

Course that would be lawful evil.

But if I'm out using other people to help me kill dragons and as many individuals as possible I'd wager it's pretty evil.  

Suicidesoldier#1

Fanatical Zealot

Sardonic Smite

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2012 8:22 pm
As it stands, I have considered the character concepts set before me, and made my decision. It was not made based on anyone's attitude or perceptions of the DnD Morale Paradigm, but merely what I thought would be the most interesting and workable party dynamic.

I had intended to be able to bring you all more information about the setting, but all of my DnD minutes for the weekend were devoured by the three other games I'm in right now (another of which I'm the DM). However, I shall spare you any further excuses, and instead say, "I know, I suck, I'll try to have the stuff ready by the next day or so."

Though, you may want to take that last bit with a grain of salt.

Over and out!

TL;DR: Character decisions final. Updates forthcoming.  
PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2012 8:32 pm
Sardonic Smite
As it stands, I have considered the character concepts set before me, and made my decision. It was not made based on anyone's attitude or perceptions of the DnD Morale Paradigm, but merely what I thought would be the most interesting and workable party dynamic.

I had intended to be able to bring you all more information about the setting, but all of my DnD minutes for the weekend were devoured by the three other games I'm in right now (another of which I'm the DM). However, I shall spare you any further excuses, and instead say, "I know, I suck, I'll try to have the stuff ready by the next day or so."

Over and out!

blaugh  

Suicidesoldier#1

Fanatical Zealot

Sardonic Smite

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2012 9:03 pm
Suicidesoldier#1
Sardonic Smite

Over and out!

blaugh

neutral  
The Dungeons & Dragons Guild

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 7 8 9 10 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas