Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Dungeons & Dragons Guild

Back to Guilds

A Dungeons & Dragons Roleplaying Guild - We have many active games, join requests are checked often, and everyone is accepted. 

Tags: Dungeons, Dragons, Roleplaying, Dungeons and Dragons 

Reply The Dungeons & Dragons Guild
[SWSE] Dawn of Defiance <OoC> {Not accepting} Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Mongooseh

Distinct Raider

8,825 Points
  • Demonic Associate 100
  • Guildmember 100
  • Hellraiser 500
PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2011 6:58 pm
Guns are always an option.  
PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2011 8:47 pm
Seph Baelzara
I may just give y'all a translator droid like C-3P0 later. There's too many characters whom are left in the dark from others. No real mechanical or combat benefit. Just for communications.
Right after you leave the Station.

Unless y'all would rather figure something else out?

Linguist as a bonus feat? Free understanding of basic?  

Lord of the Vine

Dapper Codger

7,825 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Forum Regular 100
  • Peoplewatcher 100

Seph Baelzara

Dedicated Gaian

12,050 Points
  • Beta Gaian 0
  • Beta Citizen 0
  • Elocutionist 200
PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2011 8:51 pm
Maybe, but... It's in your guys' court on how you want to settle this problem. I'm open for suggestions, but keep it reasonable (like the above). Put it up to a vote if you must. I'm all ears.

Also, I made a minor mistake. The hold-outs were not rifles, but pistols.

Further, you may add 125 experience for your quick decimation of the Imperial troopers. I shall continue to try and make the numbers more challenging.  
PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2011 1:42 am
Well, I can always attempt to make translation devices that you hook to your hearing sensory organ.  

Raganui Minamoto

Distinct Prophet

Disciple of Sakura

Liberal Lover

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2011 9:01 am
Such are the roleplaying challenges of playing a race that doesn't speak Basic.

I think, though, that it's safe to assume that everyone IS speaking Basic unless otherwise noted. We don't really need to call out Basic as the language we're speaking in, do we?

I guess a translation droid or something might not be a bad idea, though. Considering how impossible SAGA makes it to learn additional languages (requiring a 13 INT and a feat expenditure is ludicrously costly and prevents large amounts of characters from knowing any languages aside from their racial and Basic), some sort of aide would be a good idea. I'm sure we've all got better things to spend our feat slots on than Linguistics. Though, if you have an INT of 13+ and just dip a level of Noble, you'll get a talent and that feat, so that's a plus, I suppose...  
PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2011 9:35 am
Dion Necurat
Seph Baelzara
I may just give y'all a translator droid like C-3P0 later. There's too many characters whom are left in the dark from others. No real mechanical or combat benefit. Just for communications.
Right after you leave the Station.

Unless y'all would rather figure something else out?

Linguist as a bonus feat? Free understanding of basic?
I'm pretty sure that pretty much every race understands Basic. At least Jawas do. Example: when Luke and his uncle were buying C-3PO and R2-D2 from the Jawas. The only problem is that I can't speak it, but I'm pretty sure my Jawa understands it.  

Keith Valken Lionheart

Desirable Sex Symbol

6,200 Points
  • Ultimate Player 200
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Healer 50

Seph Baelzara

Dedicated Gaian

12,050 Points
  • Beta Gaian 0
  • Beta Citizen 0
  • Elocutionist 200
PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2011 1:09 pm
I actually looked it up:
"... Most characters can speak Basic, and all characters can understand it even if they can't speak it.
Some species (Gamorreans and Wookies, for example) are incapable of speaking any language other than their native tongue, but they can learn to read and write other languages just fine."
-Core pg. 22

So while those who can speak Basic, you're fine. But if you can't speak it, learn to read/write I guess? Until then I believe I'll provide you with a translator droid if need be. Unless Niknik wants to construct a translator device later down the road.

And yeah, I have a slight problem with the languages and the INT + feat. That's a hefty investment for most characters. I'm thinking of going with how skills are, if your Int mod goes up any, you gain an additional language (4~8 levels at a time is a good investment to learn an additional language on the side and be fairly proficient with it, I think) just like you'd gain another trained skill, or another point of HP/HD if your CON went up.
Still makes Linguist worth it too, as that's bonus tongues beyond your base.

Finally, no you don't have to denote Basic, that's like speaking Common in D&D #.#e

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2011 2:58 pm
Alright, that makes sense.

That reminds me, and this is a question that's been bugging me for a while: IS there paper in the star wars universe?  

Lord of the Vine

Dapper Codger

7,825 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Forum Regular 100
  • Peoplewatcher 100

Mongooseh

Distinct Raider

8,825 Points
  • Demonic Associate 100
  • Guildmember 100
  • Hellraiser 500
PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2011 3:03 pm
Probably. The usefulness of paper as a way to give a message an actual hard copy immediately just seems like it would survive time. Well to me it does because otherwise how else would you quickly write down a message and give it to someone? We're not playing in high advanced tech like shadowrun if anything the really advanced stuff in comparison to modern day standards are the weapons and transports.  
PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2011 5:34 pm
Also we're not transferring or storing massive amounts of data, like in the Jedi Temple's Library, or a battle map, for instance.
It's one of those instances of "just because it's not seen in the movies, books, or games, doesn't mean it doesn't exist."

Seph Baelzara

Dedicated Gaian

12,050 Points
  • Beta Gaian 0
  • Beta Citizen 0
  • Elocutionist 200

Lord of the Vine

Dapper Codger

7,825 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Forum Regular 100
  • Peoplewatcher 100
PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2011 9:12 pm
I see. I dunno; it was the one thing that always confused me. I never saw nor read a thing about paper in the universe, so it just gnawed at me.  
PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2011 4:03 am
Everyone just types everything out on their iPads...

No, wait... That's StarTrek, not Star Wars.  

Disciple of Sakura

Liberal Lover

Wrasynth Ksyamen

Hilarious Codger

7,450 Points
  • Brandisher 100
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Trader 100
PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2011 7:58 am
I'm pretty sure I've seen paper. I think it's seen as an aesthetic eccentric choice. "Artsy" If you will. However I can't remember the exact moment so I very well may be talking out of my a**.  
PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2011 6:56 pm
It doesn't help the overall problem for a few levels, but I was debating taking Lingust at 3rd level because it does suit my character concept. And Xylee can probably help Niknik with the translation device.

Though I must also admit, the interest value of having to deduce what the Wookiee and/or Jawa are saying are pretty high for me. It would be an interesting roleplay challenge. biggrin  

Dallas Moonrain

Wrasynth Ksyamen

Hilarious Codger

7,450 Points
  • Brandisher 100
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Trader 100
PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2011 8:23 am
Honestly I'd do what the movies do. Maybe not everyone speaks basic but they can understand it. Unless the RP is going to be centered in some way cultural exchange and misunderstanding? I think nixing the language barrier to some degree will improve the pacing of the game.  
The Dungeons & Dragons Guild

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff