Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Dungeons & Dragons Guild

Back to Guilds

A Dungeons & Dragons Roleplaying Guild - We have many active games, join requests are checked often, and everyone is accepted. 

Tags: Dungeons, Dragons, Roleplaying, Dungeons and Dragons 

Reply The Dungeons & Dragons Guild
Token guild introduction thread! Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... 20 21 22 23 [>] [>>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

bodyline shop girl

Shoujo Scout

25,025 Points
  • Partygoer 500
  • Unfortunate Abductee 175
  • Friendly 100
PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2012 10:32 am
Yo~
Dissy here. Um, I'm a bit clueless to how D&D works besides the very, very, very basics (i.e., you make a character, DM makes the story, and you do stuff.)
but I roleplay else where (like on the Gaia forums. c: .) and I've always wanted to learn how to play D&D...

So, um, yeah.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2012 10:58 am
Commander Aran
Um... Hi... Um... I'm kinda new to D&D, my friends are showing me the ropes, but I think I'd learn best by actually playing. Seeing as to how my small down in the desert (Literally) doesn't have a place to meet, nor any players, which I find quite odd, I'm trying to find a place to find some real D&Der's who can not only help me truly become a D&D player, but help train me and pick up where my friends kinda left off...

Here is what I know so far:

I tend to play young chars (age 9-13) I almost never play older characters. I can just never feel right playing older then what I RP as outside of D&D. I also tend to play 3.5, its what my friends taught me around.

You can call me Sam and I-I guess I'm looking forward to this place sweatdrop

{So nervous...}

Disarming North Korea
Yo~
Dissy here. Um, I'm a bit clueless to how D&D works besides the very, very, very basics (i.e., you make a character, DM makes the story, and you do stuff.)
but I roleplay else where (like on the Gaia forums. c: .) and I've always wanted to learn how to play D&D...

So, um, yeah.

Welcome, both of you! Funny, how both of you are brand new to the game and came at the same time! smile

Let me start by describing the dichotomy of D&D these days. A few years ago, they released D&D 4th edition, which was loved by some, loathed by others. There are many players who stick to 3.5 instead, especially if they have a large collection of supplements. Others have embraced the new edition, leaving 3.5 in the dust. Others still have turned to a game called Pathfinder, which is like an updated 3.5 edition (3.75?). And still, there's others that play all of the above.

3rd edition generally allows for a lot more versatility in characters and plot. It's very open-ended, allowing for players to be more creative - however, there are some balancing issues. In the lower levels, melee classes dominate the field; in higher levels, spellcasters leave melee classes in the dust. But you're able to personalize your characters a lot more in 3rd edition (+ 3.5 + Pathfinder) more than the newer material.

4th edition generally is a lot more tactical. Everything is balanced to one another fairly well, and it offers you a LOT of tactical options you can use to flavorfy or optimize your character, whichever you want more. There's a lot less overpowering stuff in this edition, as a high/epic level spellcaster generally CAN'T rewrite the laws of physics easily. Magic items are often once a day use things, taking away a lot of their charms. There's a newer variation called D&D Essentials which is effectively like 4.5, but it's likewise not. They took the same basic mechanics, and instead tried to turn it into as much like 3rd edition as they can to win over some of those players. Supposedly 4th Edition and Essentials are compatible, and appear that way, but I haven't seen the latter embraced on this guild yet, and I know I have no love of it.

If you prefer versatility (both in you and your enemies), 3rd edition and it's variants are the way to go. If you prefer balance and tactics, 4th edition will be for you.

Let's see what your interests are before I can advise you any further smile I personally prefer 4th edition over 3rd, though I have many good memories of 3rd edition smile  

Rain Yupa
Captain

Enduring Member

Commander Aran

6,300 Points
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Signature Look 250
  • Dressed Up 200
PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2012 1:01 pm
Thanks for the info Rain Yupa! I think I'll stick with 3.5 until I'm comfortable enough to spread around to other branches.  
PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2012 7:01 pm
Hi~
I'm Moonie, and I have a smidge of experience with 4e, Pathfinder, and Exalted. The folks I play with are often busy, so I don't get to play all that often, unfortunately. Looking to get into some good games. ^_^  

Bedlam Crumpet

Dapper Lunatic

Rain Yupa
Captain

Enduring Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2012 8:32 pm
TheMoonShadow
Hi~
I'm Moonie, and I have a smidge of experience with 4e, Pathfinder, and Exalted. The folks I play with are often busy, so I don't get to play all that often, unfortunately. Looking to get into some good games. ^_^

Welcome, welcome. I know how it is; I've lost half my gaming group due to gas costs! gonk

4e didn't take as well as I would have hoped with them either =<  
PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2012 5:45 pm
Hey, just saying hi to everyone. I've been playing dnd for a few years, starting with 2e and up to 4e. As both a player and a DM I have found that I don't enjoy 4e as much as previous engines so I generally stick to Pathfinder now.

I'm looking to play or even jsut look over some of the other adventures before getting set up as a DM myself since i'm not entirely sure how the whole DM over the interwebs thing works.  

Allurian Northeborne

Wheezing Prophet

Rain Yupa
Captain

Enduring Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2012 6:41 pm
Allurian Northeborne
Hey, just saying hi to everyone. I've been playing dnd for a few years, starting with 2e and up to 4e. As both a player and a DM I have found that I don't enjoy 4e as much as previous engines so I generally stick to Pathfinder now.

I'm looking to play or even jsut look over some of the other adventures before getting set up as a DM myself since i'm not entirely sure how the whole DM over the interwebs thing works.

Kind of grudgingly slow at times. I don't mind combat at all, but sometimes combat slogs are the only thing that works. When it's an open-ended scene, I tend to see people who aren't really gung-ho about posting hesitate on doing so, and other people end up waiting on those who haven't posted yet, so a lot of times games turn into a waiting game of who will post next because everyone's waiting on everyone else and no one takes initiative.

I always recommend to players "If you're not the last one who posted and it's been a few days since anyone posted, you should probably go ahead and do so, in case people are waiting on you." I don't get to pass this on as often as I would like, but I do strongly abide by that advice, especially in play by post games.

If you can overcome that, it's not really that bad! In my time in this guild, I do believe that smaller groups probably are better suited than larger ones, despite the interwebs' inherent advantage of running for larger groups with greater ease.  
PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2012 6:10 am
Howdy folks. I've been trolling the internet looking for a good traditional gaming group, and have come up short handed on too many occasions. Been watching this guild for awhile, seeing how things are done. Still way too clueless.

Been gaming for quite some time now, always liked RPGs, always had an imagination. So--- hey. Why not? I'm familiar enough with 3.5 to play it pretty well, 4e is easy peasey. Just started looking into GURPs and some d20 systems. Call of Cthulu, d20 modern, d20 future. I've had no small amount of free time.

GMin', playerin', whateverin'. I'm just looking for a good time. Hopefully there's still one to be found out here in internet town.

DameonRogers

vexing=trinity

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2012 4:32 pm
hmm well,hello
id like to say im not new to D&D but ive only recently played 4e and just e4.
id like to one day DM an entire home brewed campain setting.  
PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2012 4:39 pm
vexing=trinity
hmm well,hello

Cool. xp  

Suicidesoldier#1

Fanatical Zealot

vexing=trinity

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2012 4:44 pm
Suicidesoldier#1
vexing=trinity
hmm well,hello

Cool. xp

how so?  
PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2012 5:02 pm
vexing=trinity
Suicidesoldier#1
vexing=trinity
hmm well,hello

Cool. xp

how so?

+1 Frost Handaxe.

Also, hello! smile

I do recommend people cut their DMing teeth here in the guild; people here are understanding, and you have the luxury of time to figure things out (rules, stats, dungeon layouts, etc). I've only had moderate opportunities to DM in the past, mainly for my gaming group which are a LOT more experienced than me, and not very good people to run for, and it was a terrible experience. Since joining the guild, I've enjoyed the experience here immensely. smile  

Rain Yupa
Captain

Enduring Member

Suicidesoldier#1

Fanatical Zealot

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2012 5:08 pm
Rain Yupa
vexing=trinity
Suicidesoldier#1
vexing=trinity
hmm well,hello

Cool. xp

how so?

+1 Frost Handaxe.

Also, hello! smile

I do recommend people cut their DMing teeth here in the guild; people here are understanding, and you have the luxury of time to figure things out (rules, stats, dungeon layouts, etc). I've only had moderate opportunities to DM in the past, mainly for my gaming group which are a LOT more experienced than me, and not very good people to run for, and it was a terrible experience. Since joining the guild, I've enjoyed the experience here immensely. smile

One thing I like about this guild especially is it's layed back attitude, kindness, and professionalism.

It's just awesome! blaugh  
PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2012 5:17 pm
Rain Yupa
vexing=trinity
Suicidesoldier#1
vexing=trinity
hmm well,hello

Cool. xp

how so?

+1 Frost Handaxe.

Also, hello! smile

thats what im here for:to play a game i like as i hash out details of my world  

vexing=trinity

Undead Superstar

Dangerous Flatterer

8,075 Points
  • The Perfect Setup 150
  • Forum Regular 100
  • Signature Look 250
PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2012 4:06 pm
Ok. The basic information you people should know is simple. I'm known far and wide as the Undead Superstar but friends call me Riddle. Quite a long story that you will have to PM me about if you want the whole story.

I've been playing RPGs since high school (approximately 6-8 years ago). Started out with a very amusing elf character in D&D who had to be killed off in order for me to become the head and king of the table. The Gm with the fifty dollar smile and a temper shorter than a midget hooked on caffeine. Then the group fell apart and I moved on to Rifts and then that fell apart. Been without a fix for a c ouple years.

I'm a writer as well as a hardcore metalhead and video gamer.

Anything else just ask.  
The Dungeons & Dragons Guild

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... 20 21 22 23 [>] [>>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces