Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Dungeons & Dragons Guild

Back to Guilds

A Dungeons & Dragons Roleplaying Guild - We have many active games, join requests are checked often, and everyone is accepted. 

Tags: Dungeons, Dragons, Roleplaying, Dungeons and Dragons 

Reply The Dungeons & Dragons Guild
[M&M 2nd edition] 1 AZ - Issue #1 underway! Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Brains
  Brains
View Results

Mackie the Knife

6,500 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Friendly 100
PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2011 10:29 pm
Wire_Colossus
How do I have 5 ranks in the power? I only put 2 ranks. And how many points have I spent total in the form? Have I gone over the limit or do I have a few more left?
I assumed 5 ranks because I thought that this would be your main thing.
Each rank give you 15 points to build your robot with. With 5 ranks, you can build a 75 point robot (the maximum at PL 5). 2 ranks gives you a 30 point robot.

I haven't seen your form yet, so I can't tell you what you've spent.

[EDIT] OK, I see it now. I guess you posted it while I was writing my message.  
PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2011 10:59 pm
Wire_Colossus
Name: June Jones, but goes by Junk.

Power Level: 5

Power Points:

Stats:
Strength: 20 10
Dexterity: 15 5
Constitution: 13 3
Intelligence: 11 1
Wisdom: 11 1
Charisma: 10 0

Saves:
Toughness: 5 4
Fortitude: 5 4
Reflex: 5 3
Willpower: 5 5

Defense: 5 5
Initiative: +3
Hero Points:

Base Attack: +5 5
Melee Attack:
Ranged Attack: 0

Skills: 4 ranks Acrobatics, 4 ranks in each category of Craft, 8 ranks Climb, 4 ranks Search 9

Feats: 1 rank Artificer, 1 rank Attractive, 1 rank Endurance, 1 rank Equipment 4

Powers:
Scavenged Striker: allows the construction of a 15 point/rank mechanical construct using only materials available in the environment. Requires one whole round to build a construct, half the time there are not enough materials to build a viable construct. Construct remains viable until destroyed in combat.

Mechanics: Summon Minion, Type (General) Extra +1, Heroic Extra +1, Action (full action) Flaw -1, Unreliable Flaw -1, Duration increased to sustained mode at cost of +1 extra PP per rank.

2 ranks at a cost of 3PP per rank. 6

Equipment:

Complications:

Drawbacks:

Bio/Description: June was always a very inventive individual with an incredible imagination, but she had an obsession…a fixation with scorpions. When she was a small child she had been stung by one, but for some reason she didn’t fear them or hate them. She actually grew to admire them, which affected her work in school and her career. After graduating from high school she started working as her fathers assistant, working and living out of an auto repair shop in the middle of a junkyard. She spent her next 3 years there helping her father and in her free time she built sculptures of scorpions from anything she could get her hands on. After the Zombies came into existence however, she found that her sculptures came to life and served her will. She also found that she could built them from almost anything she could find, so long as three criteria were met. Something to provide structure, something to provide flexibility, and something to provide weaponry. As long as those three criteria were met, she could build her scorpion warriors from anything she could get her hands on.

June is a beautiful young woman of a lean and lithe build, in High school she was the tall extremely thin girl that people made fun of for being thin and tall. Her hair is ginger in color, but her skin color is a natural dark tan from years of being outside in the sun working. His skin tone before highs cool was actually no different than it is now and for the same reason, which was another thing that confused people around her. Her skin was a dark and natural tan, but her hair was the most fierce ginger coloration you could have ever seen. Her eyes were a bright green, almost an unnatural green as some would say, but then again when you come to school dressed in work clothes and you face is smudged with motor oil and grease, your eyes tend to be more visible. Her fingernails, toe nails, skin, and teeth are all well cared for, but her hair is kept about an inch long since June doesn’t enjoy taking care of long hair. She’s 6ft3 tall and in the neighborhood of 140 pounds, but don’t go thinking that she’s overweight. She may be thin and lithe, but her body is filled with wiry strength. Her nose is small, and her ears are long and thin, tapering to points. Some nerds in high school said she was an elf, but the truth is she has a genetic defect that while harmless and extremely rare, has effected her. She tends to wear a pair of long overalls and a long sleeve white T-shirt with the sleeves rolled up to her elbows. She’s always wearing some kind of boots.

Items above in Blue are Power Points
Items above in Red are corrections

Total Points spent so far: 65

Feat notes:
Artificer: You can use Knowledge (Arcane Lore) and Craft skills to create temporary magical devices
[You may prefer Inventor: You can use Knowledge (technology) and Craft skills to create inventions and temporary devices.]

Attractive gives you a +4 bonus per rank on Bluff and Diplomacy checks to deceive, seduce, or change the attitude of anyone who might find you appealing.

Endurance: You gain a +4 bonus per rank on Swim checks to avoid becoming fatigued and Constitution checks or Fortitude saves to hold your breath, avoid damage from starvation or thirst, avoid damage from hot or cold environments, and to resist suffocation and drowning.

Equipment: You have 5 point to spend on equipment per rank in this feat.
[My character has 10 points of Equipment: a commlink (1), a knife (3), and a light pistol (6)]  

Mackie the Knife

6,500 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Friendly 100

Wire_Colossus

Versatile Shapeshifter

3,875 Points
  • Alchemy Level 1 100
  • Team Jacob 100
  • Gender Swap 100
PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2011 8:02 am
Now that I see the number of points I have left, I see that I can have 3 more ranks in my power and 1 more Skill: Swim.  
PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2011 4:32 pm
I've made some changes to my form, and All i need now is to know what I can choose from for equipment. Once I know that, I'll finish my form and post it here for final judging.  

Wire_Colossus

Versatile Shapeshifter

3,875 Points
  • Alchemy Level 1 100
  • Team Jacob 100
  • Gender Swap 100

Rain Yupa
Captain

Enduring Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2011 4:49 pm
The equipment listing in the book has sufficient gear to choose from. Every 1 power point spent on the Equipment feat, gives you 5 equipment points. A tiny pistol costs 4, a light pistol costs 6, a heavy pistol 8, a machine pistol 9, etc. There's a bunch more to choose from :3  
PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2011 4:52 pm
Rain Yupa
The equipment listing in the book has sufficient gear to choose from. Every 1 power point spent on the Equipment feat, gives you 5 equipment points. A tiny pistol costs 4, a light pistol costs 6, a heavy pistol 8, a machine pistol 9, etc. There's a bunch more to choose from :3

I don't have the book. And I'm not looking for weapons. Just a tool kit a way to communicate over a long distance. I also only have 1 rank in the Equipment feat, which gives me 5 points to spend on equipment.  

Wire_Colossus

Versatile Shapeshifter

3,875 Points
  • Alchemy Level 1 100
  • Team Jacob 100
  • Gender Swap 100

Rain Yupa
Captain

Enduring Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2011 5:09 pm
Mackie the Knife
Laertes Ursus
Mackie the Knife
I don't think that Dynamic Alternate powers work that way. The power with the highest cost is the base power. With 5 ranks at 2 points per rank, this is 10 points. Each alternate power can cost up to 10 points. With dynamic slots, you can have more than one power active at once, but they split the 10 points between them. If all of your slots are attack powers, you can still only use one of them per round, so having more than one active is useless to you.

I would recommend a rank cost of 3, which allows for a +1 extra on your base power. For example:

Quote:
Weapon Summoning
Effect: General Action: Move
Range: Personal Duration: Sustained
Cost: 3 points per rank

You can summon (find in your case) weapons that you can then use in combat. You have 3 power points per Weapon Summoning rank to apply to powers that define your weapon. No Weapon Summoning power can have a rank greater than your Weapon Summoning rank. You can add any other weapon with an equal or lesser cost as an Alternate Power feat of the first.

With 5 ranks, you could do this:
15 Assault Rifle (Blast 5 w/ Autofire)
1 Alt: Assault Rifle (Single-shot mode) (Blast 5)
1 Alt: Sniper Rifle w/ Targeting Scope (Blast 5 w/ Improved Range 2 & Improved Critical & Improved Aim)
1 Alt: Heavy Pistol (Blast 4)
1 Alt: Shotgun (shot) (Blast 3 w/ Accuracy + Blast 2 (does not affect characters with any increase in their natural toughness)
1 Alt: Machine Pistol (Blast 3 w/ Autofire)

20 points total. A +1 Limited power (weapon summoned is chosen randomly per chart) flaw will drop it back down to 15. Additional weapons cost 1 point each.

A d20 chart could look like:
01-08 Heavy Pistol
08-14 Shotgun
15-17 Sniper Rifle
18-19 Machine Pistol
20 Assault Rifle

If I change the action to Full, it'll cost less with all the same stats, right?
Actually, I messed up. Normally switching an array is a free action. Changing it to a Move action (the same action to draw a weapon) drops the cost another 1 per rank, for a total of 1 point per rank adding up to 10 points. You still need to run this past the GM, tho.

You know, there IS something to be said for simplicity. Just saying, is all.

I think the math for the alternate powers Mackie wrote up is off. Most of the point values don't add up to 15.

I'm not sure how much more of your power points you planned to spend on other things. You might NOT want to take the various guns as alternate powers. If you buy each one individually, it would be easier to manage, I would think. That way, when you level up one of your guns, it doesn't throw EVERYTHING out of whack (and I warn you of this from personal experience).

My personal philosophy is that an alternate power should be the same cost per rank, and have the same number of power feats tagged on. Else, it will balance at the time, but if you increase one, it will make the other exceed PL limitations, and/or force you to spend more and more power feats as you advance to make up the difference, to the point of it being silly.  
PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2011 5:18 pm
Wire_Colossus
Rain Yupa

I don't have the book. And I'm not looking for weapons. Just a tool kit a way to communicate over a long distance. I also only have 1 rank in the Equipment feat, which gives me 5 points to spend on equipment.

They have a Multi-tool for 1 EP, which is basically a swiss army knife. A commlink is 1 EP as well. Cell Phone is 1 EP, but you're not likely to get good service.

A tool kit for a particular skill is free, assuming you have nothing preventing you from accessing your stuff. If you're in the middle of, say, a barren wasteland, you might want to get some personal tools to carry with you. They have Masterwork tools, which cost 1 EP, and give you a +2 bonus on skill checks using them. Strongly recommend if using Craft skills is a big deal to you. Assume one 'type' of tool kit per Craft skill.

Flashlight is 1 EP, GPS Receiver is 1 EP, Night Vision Goggles are 1 EP, Binoculars are 1 EP, Lock Release Gun (for quick & automatic Disable Device checks on simple and average locks!) is 1 EP. PDA is 1 EP. Laptop is 1 EP.

Once you start getting to combat-related stuff, things get more expensive. But as you can see, a particular 'tool' will really only ever cost you 1 EP.  

Rain Yupa
Captain

Enduring Member

Wire_Colossus

Versatile Shapeshifter

3,875 Points
  • Alchemy Level 1 100
  • Team Jacob 100
  • Gender Swap 100
PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2011 5:19 pm
I Think I'm done. Tell me if the math is off.

Junk, Scavenging for Survival and Striking for Supremacy.

Name: June Jones, but goes by Junk.

Power Level: 5

Power Points:

Stats:
Strength: 20
Dexterity: 15
Constitution: 13
Intelligence: 11
Wisdom: 11
Charisma: 10

Saves:
Toughness: 5
Fortitude: 5
Reflex: 5
Willpower: 5

Defense: 5
Initiative: +3
Hero Points:

Base Attack: +5
Melee Attack:
Ranged Attack: 0

Skills: 4 ranks Acrobatics, 4 ranks in each category of Craft, 4 ranks Climb, 4 ranks Search, 4 ranks Swim, 4 ranks Knowledge (Arcane Lore)

Feats: 1 rank Artificer, 1 rank Endurance, 1 rank Equipment

Powers:
Scavenged Striker: allows the construction of a 15 point/rank mechanical construct using only materials available in the environment. Requires one whole round to build a construct, half the time there are not enough materials to build a viable construct. Construct remains viable until destroyed in combat.

Mechanics: Summon Minion, Type (General) Extra +1, Heroic Extra +1, Action (full action) Flaw -1, Unreliable Flaw -1, Duration increased to sustained mode at cost of +1 extra PP per rank.

5 ranks at a cost of 3PP per rank.

Equipment: comlink, knife, Masterwork tools.

Complications:

Drawbacks:

Bio/Description: June was always a very inventive individual with an incredible imagination, but she had an obsession…a fixation with scorpions. When she was a small child she had been stung by one, but for some reason she didn’t fear them or hate them. She actually grew to admire them, which affected her work in school and her career. After graduating from high school she started working as her fathers assistant, working and living out of an auto repair shop in the middle of a junkyard. She spent her next 3 years there helping her father and in her free time she built sculptures of scorpions from anything she could get her hands on. After the Zombies came into existence however, she found that her sculptures came to life and served her will. She also found that she could built them from almost anything she could find, so long as three criteria were met. Something to provide structure, something to provide flexibility, and something to provide weaponry. As long as those three criteria were met, she could build her scorpion warriors from anything she could get her hands on.

June is a beautiful young woman of a lean and lithe build, in High school she was the tall extremely thin girl that people made fun of for being thin and tall. Her hair is ginger in color, but her skin color is a natural dark tan from years of being outside in the sun working. His skin tone before highs cool was actually no different than it is now and for the same reason, which was another thing that confused people around her. Her skin was a dark and natural tan, but her hair was the most fierce ginger coloration you could have ever seen. Her eyes were a bright green, almost an unnatural green as some would say, but then again when you come to school dressed in work clothes and you face is smudged with motor oil and grease, your eyes tend to be more visible. Her fingernails, toe nails, skin, and teeth are all well cared for, but her hair is kept about an inch long since June doesn’t enjoy taking care of long hair. She’s 6ft3 tall and in the neighborhood of 140 pounds, but don’t go thinking that she’s overweight. She may be thin and lithe, but her body is filled with wiry strength. Her nose is small, and her ears are long and thin, tapering to points. Some nerds in high school said she was an elf, but the truth is she has a genetic defect that while harmless and extremely rare, has effected her. She tends to wear a pair of long overalls and a long sleeve white T-shirt with the sleeves rolled up to her elbows. She’s always wearing some kind of boots.  
PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2011 6:14 pm
Rain Yupa
Mackie the Knife
Laertes Ursus
Mackie the Knife
I don't think that Dynamic Alternate powers work that way. The power with the highest cost is the base power. With 5 ranks at 2 points per rank, this is 10 points. Each alternate power can cost up to 10 points. With dynamic slots, you can have more than one power active at once, but they split the 10 points between them. If all of your slots are attack powers, you can still only use one of them per round, so having more than one active is useless to you.

I would recommend a rank cost of 3, which allows for a +1 extra on your base power. For example:

Quote:
Weapon Summoning
Effect: General Action: Move
Range: Personal Duration: Sustained
Cost: 3 points per rank

You can summon (find in your case) weapons that you can then use in combat. You have 3 power points per Weapon Summoning rank to apply to powers that define your weapon. No Weapon Summoning power can have a rank greater than your Weapon Summoning rank. You can add any other weapon with an equal or lesser cost as an Alternate Power feat of the first.

With 5 ranks, you could do this:
15 Assault Rifle (Blast 5 w/ Autofire)
1 Alt: Assault Rifle (Single-shot mode) (Blast 5)
1 Alt: Sniper Rifle w/ Targeting Scope (Blast 5 w/ Improved Range 2 & Improved Critical & Improved Aim)
1 Alt: Heavy Pistol (Blast 4)
1 Alt: Shotgun (shot) (Blast 3 w/ Accuracy + Blast 2 (does not affect characters with any increase in their natural toughness)
1 Alt: Machine Pistol (Blast 3 w/ Autofire)

20 points total. A +1 Limited power (weapon summoned is chosen randomly per chart) flaw will drop it back down to 15. Additional weapons cost 1 point each.

A d20 chart could look like:
01-08 Heavy Pistol
08-14 Shotgun
15-17 Sniper Rifle
18-19 Machine Pistol
20 Assault Rifle

If I change the action to Full, it'll cost less with all the same stats, right?
Actually, I messed up. Normally switching an array is a free action. Changing it to a Move action (the same action to draw a weapon) drops the cost another 1 per rank, for a total of 1 point per rank adding up to 10 points. You still need to run this past the GM, tho.

You know, there IS something to be said for simplicity. Just saying, is all.

I think the math for the alternate powers Mackie wrote up is off. Most of the point values don't add up to 15.

I'm not sure how much more of your power points you planned to spend on other things. You might NOT want to take the various guns as alternate powers. If you buy each one individually, it would be easier to manage, I would think. That way, when you level up one of your guns, it doesn't throw EVERYTHING out of whack (and I warn you of this from personal experience).

My personal philosophy is that an alternate power should be the same cost per rank, and have the same number of power feats tagged on. Else, it will balance at the time, but if you increase one, it will make the other exceed PL limitations, and/or force you to spend more and more power feats as you advance to make up the difference, to the point of it being silly.

Yeah, but it also costs an inordinate amount of PP that way.

Laertes Ursus

Vicious Knight

13,050 Points
  • Battle: Knight 100
  • Survivor 150
  • Unleash the Beast 100

Rain Yupa
Captain

Enduring Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2011 6:35 pm
Again, what else will you be spending the PP on? Buying the Affects Others extra (+1/rank), possibly offset by the Limited Dismissal Flaw (-1/rank). This allows you to hand each of your guns out, if need be, but if it gets lost, it's gone until you track it down again. Useful if you want to arm others.

But anyways, you don't need EVERY gun to be a different power, but those with similar builds should be. Example, using the list Mackie posted...

Assault Rifle (Blast 5 w/ Autofire)
Machine Pistol (Blast 3 w/ Autofire)

The difference is, from what I can tell, is that the Machine Pistol is actually weaker. That's it. That's kind of a waste of an Alternate Power, when you could just have a second Weapon Summoning power at lower cost. I mean, yes, I realize it will still cost more than 1, but why waste an alternate power on Assault Rifle for the same exact power, except weaker? You might as well just stick with Assault Rifle all the time, and never stop using it.

By having it as a second power, you could, as I used as an example above, give it to someone else to use.

It might seem all well and good now, but I won't permit that many alternate powers on Assault Rifle Weapon Summoning, if you won't be able to keep them in check at higher Power Levels. Mind you, 15 power points spent on Assault Rifle as your main, typically means each of your alternate powers should also equal 15 points.

Want me to write up a more workable (IMHO) list, that will cause me (and possibly you) less headaches further down the road?  
PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2011 6:36 pm
Wire_Colossus
I Think I'm done. Tell me if the math is off.

I had to get up a little earlier this morning than normal (before 6am EST), so I'm going to be crashing a little early tonight. If I don't get to it Tomorrow, I'll check it officially on Tuesday.

Sorry for the lack of communication on my part as of late. This has been one heck of a week.  

Rain Yupa
Captain

Enduring Member

Wire_Colossus

Versatile Shapeshifter

3,875 Points
  • Alchemy Level 1 100
  • Team Jacob 100
  • Gender Swap 100
PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2011 6:42 pm
Ok. I hope my character sheet is acceptable, and that makes two of us. My week has been long and a bit weird.  
PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2011 7:56 pm
Rain Yupa
Again, what else will you be spending the PP on? Buying the Affects Others extra (+1/rank), possibly offset by the Limited Dismissal Flaw (-1/rank). This allows you to hand each of your guns out, if need be, but if it gets lost, it's gone until you track it down again. Useful if you want to arm others.

But anyways, you don't need EVERY gun to be a different power, but those with similar builds should be. Example, using the list Mackie posted...

Assault Rifle (Blast 5 w/ Autofire)
Machine Pistol (Blast 3 w/ Autofire)

The difference is, from what I can tell, is that the Machine Pistol is actually weaker. That's it. That's kind of a waste of an Alternate Power, when you could just have a second Weapon Summoning power at lower cost. I mean, yes, I realize it will still cost more than 1, but why waste an alternate power on Assault Rifle for the same exact power, except weaker? You might as well just stick with Assault Rifle all the time, and never stop using it.

By having it as a second power, you could, as I used as an example above, give it to someone else to use.

It might seem all well and good now, but I won't permit that many alternate powers on Assault Rifle Weapon Summoning, if you won't be able to keep them in check at higher Power Levels. Mind you, 15 power points spent on Assault Rifle as your main, typically means each of your alternate powers should also equal 15 points.

Want me to write up a more workable (IMHO) list, that will cause me (and possibly you) less headaches further down the road?

What I'd like is something semi-realistic. Remember that the character's Weapon Summoning power is literally him *finding* the weapon somewhere. As for what else the PP would be spent on, there are other powers, feats, stats, and skills in the build.

Laertes Ursus

Vicious Knight

13,050 Points
  • Battle: Knight 100
  • Survivor 150
  • Unleash the Beast 100

Mackie the Knife

6,500 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Friendly 100
PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2011 11:24 pm
The weapons were set up to match the ones in the equipment list. The Assault rifle w/ Autofire is the most expensive at 15 points so I made that the base power, with all of the alternates coming in at lower costs. He asked for stats for a pistol, a shotgun, a sniper/hunting rifle, and an assault rifle, so that's what I wrote up. If he wants to add more weapons to the list, anything that costs 15 points or less is an alternate power. If it costs more than that, it become the new base and Assault rifle becomes an alternate.
The way I wrote my example, he would roll to see what gun he finds when he activates the Weapon Summoning power, and he keeps that gun as long as he uses a free action every round to do so (Duration: Sustained).
I chose a Move action for the power because that's the action required to draw a weapon.
The real question I have is: is it legal to put flaws on an array that specifically affect how it functions as an array, rather that affecting the functioning of the individual powers?  
The Dungeons & Dragons Guild

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff