Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Endrael

Codger

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2006 10:58 am
Get Wiki With It

"Getting published in the illustrious British scientific journal Nature is, frankly, a b***h. It's not just the years you spend designing the perfect experiment, or the hustling for grant money to collect the data. It's not even the long nights of trying to figure out how to express all that work elegantly in the cold language of scientific communication. No – the real trick is getting the editors at Nature to like it."  
PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2006 11:11 am
AstronomyGirl
Endrael
AstronomyGirl
Endrael

Astronomers Say Pluto Is Not a Planet

"Leading astronomers declared Thursday that Pluto is no longer a planet under historic new guidelines that downsize the solar system from nine planets to eight."

My only thought on this: Who wants to bet that within the next few years, they'll discover a solar system with gas giant planets in elliptical, overlapping orbits and have to rewrite the guidelines for what constitutes a planet? rofl

Well I must say that I am VERY happy with these definitions. The one that they had just a little while ago... arg... don't get me started on it, I can rant for hours. blaugh
As for finding gas giant planets with elliptical overlapping orbits, well firstly, thats VERY unlikely (to my knowledge) and secondly there would proababy be some obvious outside source to cause that pattern which we can use to explain it.
I don't see there being anything that could cause a need for us to change the definition of a planet as we have now.

True, it is unlikely, but it's still feasible and possible. If the planets have abnormal orbits like Pluto does (not on the same plane as the rest of the solar system), it's entirely possible that that particular planet could safely travel in its orbit indefinitely without disrupting/disruption from whatever other planet(s) whose orbit(s) it happened to overlap.

yes, it is true that a planet could be in a safe orbit like Pluto is, but then to get a large enough object that would be considered a planet in an orbit like that, well then that would also totally change our thoughs about how solarsystems are formed as well as our definition of a planet. As we know it, that couldn't happen.
that's what I was trying to get at.

In other words, we agree but weren't communicating effectively blaugh  

Endrael

Codger

AstronomyGirl

Planetary Astronomer

57,900 Points
  • Conventioneer 300
  • That One Hero 500
  • Planetary Technician 150
PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2006 2:14 pm
Endrael

In other words, we agree but weren't communicating effectively blaugh

lol yes. Just putting an emphasis on different parts. xp  
PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2006 5:45 pm
Because we haven't had any news posted in too long. gonk

Spacecraft beams back images of Saturn hurricane

"At the south pole of Saturn, a massive hurricane-like storm with a diametre of 8,000 kilometres, is raging."

---

Shuttle crew to repair Hubble Telescope in 2008

---

16 'planet candidates' found outside solar system

"Astronomers have peered deep into space and discovered a new class of close-orbiting planets outside the solar system."

---

Europe space probe unmasks 'face' on Mars

"For decades, photos of what appeared to be a huge, face-shaped rock formation on Mars -- or even a statue of Elvis -- fuelled theories of intelligent life on the Red Planet."

---

Supercomputing's Next Revolution

"Video gamers' cravings for ever-more-realistic play have spawned a technological arms race that could help cure cancer, predict the next big earthquake in San Francisco and crack many other mathematical puzzles currently beyond the reach of the world's most powerful computers."  

Endrael

Codger

Endrael

Codger

PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2006 12:10 am
And another.

Brilliant flare seen in II Pegasi

"Scientists using NASA's Swift satellite have spotted a stellar flare on a nearby star so powerful that, had it been from our sun, it would have triggered a mass extinction on Earth. The flare was perhaps the most energetic magnetic stellar explosion ever detected."  
PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2006 5:55 pm
ya news!

sweatdrop yea... sorry for not posting more. Kinda got busy with stuff and then kept forgetting about it. I'll try and post stuff more often.  

AstronomyGirl

Planetary Astronomer

57,900 Points
  • Conventioneer 300
  • That One Hero 500

Endrael

Codger

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2006 12:00 pm
AstronomyGirl
ya news!

sweatdrop yea... sorry for not posting more. Kinda got busy with stuff and then kept forgetting about it. I'll try and post stuff more often.

Same here. I'm attempting right now to find a job after moving to Seattle so I can get the hell away from my dad's über neurotic "girl friend". whee Since her house is two miles from the nearest business (which is miles away from anything else in town), I'm pretty well stuck in the house looking for jobs online, and she doesn't like that because she thinks I'm not doing anything. >.>  
PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2006 8:00 pm
Endrael
AstronomyGirl
ya news!

Same here. I'm attempting right now to find a job after moving to Seattle so I can get the hell away from my dad's über neurotic "girl friend". whee Since her house is two miles from the nearest business (which is miles away from anything else in town), I'm pretty well stuck in the house looking for jobs online, and she doesn't like that because she thinks I'm not doing anything. >.>

aww. lol. Well I hope you're able to find a job. ^_^  

AstronomyGirl

Planetary Astronomer

57,900 Points
  • Conventioneer 300
  • That One Hero 500

Endrael

Codger

PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2006 1:17 pm
AstronomyGirl
Endrael
AstronomyGirl
ya news!

aww. lol. Well I hope you're able to find a job. ^_^

Ironically, not long after posting that, I got one. blaugh Going to be doing data entry.

---

And some more news. Nothing especially surprising with this one, but it's worth notice:

Dark energy nearly as old as the universe, scientists say

"Something — a mysterious force called dark energy — has been pulling the universe apart for most of its existence, astronomers using the Hubble Space Telescope announced Thursday."  
PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2006 9:17 pm
Genetic ‘book of life’ gets a rewrite

"An international team of scientists unveiled on Wednesday a new human genetic map, or “book of life,” that fills in missing pages and chapters to explain how genes are involved in common diseases."

---

Even unspoken words can have a ‘taste’

"For most of us, the boundaries between our bodily senses are clear-cut and rigid. But for a few rare individuals, the demarcation between vision and hearing, or between taste and touch, are less solid, with one bleeding into the other."

---

Nations give green light for nuclear fusion

"Nations representing half the world’s population signed a long-awaited, $12.8 billion pact Tuesday for a nuclear fusion reactor that could revolutionize global energy use for future generations."  

Endrael

Codger

Endrael

Codger

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2006 5:55 pm
Since this is a whole bucket of articles, I'm just going to forego the description of each and let the article title indicate the topic.

---

Warmed-up oceans reduce key food link

NASA images suggest liquid water present on Mars

Remains of St. Paul may have been found

Stonehenge was a site for sore eyes in 2300BC

Scientist: Humans Strange, Neanderthals Normal

Study: Why Americans Have Bad Rhythm

Men and Women Really Do Think Differently

Scientists Levitate Small Animals

New Advice: Don't Sit Up Straight

Ouch! Why Women Feel More Pain  
PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2009 10:17 am
Recently there was a show on promoting theories about how the masterdons and sabertooth tigers went extinct . ...asteroids breaking up before they hit the atmosphere ...nano diamonds ... "The Last Extinction" is the episode on Nova.  

Sturdie

72: Science & Astronomy Hangout

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 6 7

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces