be legal
  some of them should be legal
  other
  poll whore
View Results

CGurp

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2007 12:42 am
Der Freischuetz
That still isn't enough to convince me that legalizing narcotics is the best course. This isn't the Netherlands; we actually have standards here in the United States. Drug users are looked down upon in society, and they are also punished for doing so, which they should be.
Why? Drug use is within our rights of bodily freedom, pursuit of happieness, enterprise, privacy, choice, and many other rights. The US economy can boom when they can tax the drugs.

What standards are these when you take away basic rights? How should they be when it isn't any of their business in judging nor punishing if they use drugs which only effects the user?

Quote:
You could argue that if narcotics are illegal that alcohol should be illegal as well. Alcohol, unlike most narcotics, is something that people can use in moderation. There is no such thing as a narcotic that's used in moderation.

It would make logical sense if you want to ban drugs. So, it would be their fault and their choice. No duh since narcotics are defined as addictive drugs. And what about ciggaretts which are also narcotic?

Quote:
Every person on a drug will more than likely overdose at least once and screw themselves up, and thus render themselves useless to society, which will then make them piles of meat who will beg for any cash that they can get, probably only to be spent on more drugs.
Quote:

Prove that they would most likely. Not all drugs are able to give you an overdose, such as pot, a non-dangerous safer drug than alcohol even in moderation and legal medicines. That is an exageration and it would be their own fault and their own choice to do so.

Quote:
There is no benefit to legalizing drugs. People won't learn that drugs are bad if they are made legal. They'll buy them in even higher quantities than before, making for a much larger percentage of stupid citizens. Keep it illegal to prevent them from making such a poor decision. Not every choice should be free.

There are tons of benefits to legalizing drugs. I will say it again: Drug use is within our rights of bodily freedom, pursuit of happieness, enterprise, privacy, choice, and many other rights. The US economy can boom when they can tax the drugs. Legalizing drugs would take the glamor out of them being "bad" and "different" by using them, which is why most drug users start using drugs.
Drugs are not bad nor good, they are just objects. Morality in doing something is subjective.
Prove that that would happen.
Who are you to say what decisions are "poor" for people when you don't know them nor the stituation they are in to use the drugs such as for medical purposes.
Only when the choice is against our rights, which drug use is not. Again, drug use is in fact within our rights.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2007 5:31 am
Okay, I'm taking the hard-a** stance on this.

Drugs are dangerous, expensive, and a waste of potential, and should be illegal. The laws against them should be enforced better, or more effective measures should be legislated.

For those who argue that Alcohol should be illegal as well, yes Alcohol is dangerous, but only if you don't drink it properly. Most of the time, it can be beneficial.  

Altae

CGurp

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2007 3:44 am
Altae
Okay, I'm taking the hard-a** stance on this.

Drugs are dangerous, expensive, and a waste of potential, and should be illegal. The laws against them should be enforced better, or more effective measures should be legislated.

For those who argue that Alcohol should be illegal as well, yes Alcohol is dangerous, but only if you don't drink it properly. Most of the time, it can be beneficial.

Not all drugs are dangerous, such as pot and medicines, which we need.
Not all drugs are expensive and illegal ones would be cheaper if legalized.

Watching TV, eatting junk food, slacking off in school, and surffing the internet can all be considered a waste of potential even more so than drugs. Why would it be anybody elses' buisness if people choose to "waste their potential" anyways if they wish? It's thier right to.

Why should they? Drug use is within our rights of bodily freedom, pursuit of happieness, enterprise, privacy, choice, and many other rights. The US economy can boom when they can tax the drugs. Legalizing drugs would also take the glamor out of them being "bad" and "different" by using them, which is why most drug users start using drugs.
No, people are wrongly put to jail and labeled as "criminal" for doing something that can only harm themselves and it is within their right to!

All drugs can be dangerous if you don't use them properly.
Pot has benefits too, an illegal non-dangerous safe drug, unlike alcohol, and that was illegalized to discrimination against hippies and Mexicans. Opium also has benefits as an effective painkiller that was illegalized to discriminate against Asians.  
PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2007 3:55 am
SuperHyperRockinGal
Drugs are things which make people loose control of their real senses.
They break into animal cages, and make the animals get blamed for their own mistakes.
It breaks up families, and makes them hate each other.
Also it makes them do self destructive activities.
I think that drugs that cause bad effects should stay illegal.

Not all drugs and it isn't necessarly a bad thing.
I hate metephores.
So do lots of things such as divorces. You are appealing to emotion.
Not all drugs do that and the effects of certain drugs and on certain people can vary.
Many drugs, encluding legal medicines that people need, can cause bad effects, but it is within our rights of bodily freedom, pursuit of happieness, enterprise, privacy, choice, and many other rights to use drugs.  

CGurp

Der Freischuetz

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2007 9:13 am
Drug rights are okay to you if you believe that the only things that drugs hurt are the people that use them, which isn't true. Someone udner the influence of drugs, depending on how they act on a certain drug, can easily lose their right-thinking mind, and then do something they wouldn't normally do. I have no reason to use any narcotics since I'm well aware of their effects and see no reason to use them at all. Even alcohol I debate about, because even though it's legal the instant one is drunk they can do something that will endanger the life of another.

And if you think that the person who does drugs only hurts themselves, then you're wrong I'm afraid. What about those people who are parents and have a family? The parent who does drugs will be an irresponsible parent. And let's consider this: how many employers are going to hire a person who's on drugs? The drug user will more than likely have a hard time getting a job or keeping the one he/she has, and once they have no job, and then they end up on welfare. So in the end, it's the taxpayers who have to end up paying for their mistake.

Even with alcohol being legal, do you see everyone using it responsibly? Not at all. Even if all these drugs were legalized we would still have many of the same problems that we have today.  
PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2008 2:09 pm
In an ideal reality, each person who would take a drug of any kind would be fully aware of the drug's effects, side-effects, dosage, dangers, etc. and thus able to make a fully educated and intelligent decision and they would also be able to take responcibility for that decision, knowing that if they damage their body through the use of the drug they would loose (for instance) rights to certain (otherwise free) healthcare benefits.
But this is not an ideal reality.
A lot of people still don't have access to necessary healthcare at anything remotely resembling an affordable price, something that which should (in my honest opinion) be free.
A lot of people have No understanding of how their drugs work or what side-effects they can produce. (Have you googled every last one of your over-the-counter medications, prescription medications, supplements, as well as every last one of other chemicals you introduce to your body and do you fully grok the effects and possible effects of them?)
A lot of people don't really even comprehend the possible danger of common, over the counter pills. My own grandmother almost killed herself taking common, every-day, aspirin.

As such, I would not believe it'd be a smart idea to make all drugs legal. However!
I do believe that we need to decide where to draw the line. If we want to keep alchol legal I would want to see all drugs that which aren't more addictive or more harmfull, also legal.
When making a chemical illegal, you drive it underground. The illegal trade in chemical substances is a booming and violent buisness, taking at least "some" of these chemicals and making them legal does deal a hard blow to those who make their living selling these chemicals. Also, it allows the goverment to designate a "dosage" size, as well as regulations to what chemicals it can and can't be mixxed with. Making the substance all around more safe.

On a personal note, I have certain physical pain issues, I am in constant physical pain due to joint problems of the rhumatic family. I can not work "any" regular job, in fact I'm hard pressed to just keep my home functioning as is normal. In the country where I live, marijuana is illegal alltogether at this moment, however, I will admit that I have broken that law on occation. This has been the only thing that I have ever consumed or used that which has ever really given me any real relief. I am currently on NSAIDS as well as muscle relaxants to help me sleep and that's a mere drop in the ocean, even with kodine and paracetamol whenever I so need it (don't rightly take those at all because they give me other problems) it's barely enough to keep me out of bed on bad days.
Needless to say, it's exhausting to the point where it's outright depressing. My doctors have attempted to medicate that depression away, but the only thing that has really helped me is another herbal remedy... st. johns wort..
So the man-made, pristene white pills don't always help. I know that first hand. Sometimes the drugs that help the most aren't legal.  

Miniar

undefined messenger

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2008 8:09 pm
drugs shouldnt be legal there ar over 700,000 drug related deaths in america in only one year think of how many there are world wide
and to miniar they dont know what there getting into just think there are people who youse it that havent used it before they do NOT know what there getting into they do NOT know the effects and side effects and they hardly ever take responsibility kinow for a fact because she used drugs and blamed it on her bvoyfriend for getting her hooked on drugs and all she had to say was NO  
PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2008 8:18 pm
CGurp
SuperHyperRockinGal
Drugs are things which make people loose control of their real senses.
They break into animal cages, and make the animals get blamed for their own mistakes.
It breaks up families, and makes them hate each other.
Also it makes them do self destructive activities.
I think that drugs that cause bad effects should stay illegal.

Not all drugs and it isn't necessarly a bad thing.
I hate metephores.
So do lots of things such as divorces. You are appealing to emotion.
Not all drugs do that and the effects of certain drugs and on certain people can vary.
Many drugs, encluding legal medicines that people need, can cause bad effects, but it is within our rights of bodily freedom, pursuit of happieness, enterprise, privacy, choice, and many other rights to use drugs.

yes they do hurt all people because once they get addicted they cant stop theyll do anything to get drugs theyd even kill in the worst cases and not only do they hurt themselfs they hurt there family members and they can hurt an unborn baby a mother could use drugs and could kill ,maim orthe baby could have birth defects and the dad could go into a rage and would hurt the mom that would hurt baby or even kill it though i do not agree with makig alchol illegal because people hardly ever become so drunk that they kill only once have i seen that and that was in a car accident and thatt person went to jail  

undefined messenger

AngelBlackChaos

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2008 10:42 pm
My stance is mixed due to the fact that certain ones can ease chronic pain and can be beneficial with moderation (cannabis only). Also, alcohol has its benefits in moderation as well.

*PS it is technically impossible to overdose on cannabis.  
PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2008 5:12 am
havis11
drugs shouldnt be legal there ar over 700,000 drug related deaths in america in only one year think of how many there are world wide
and to miniar they dont know what there getting into just think there are people who youse it that havent used it before they do NOT know what there getting into they do NOT know the effects and side effects and they hardly ever take responsibility kinow for a fact because she used drugs and blamed it on her bvoyfriend for getting her hooked on drugs and all she had to say was NO

How about over-the-counter-drugs?  

Miniar

Tasty Crayons

PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2008 8:43 pm
I don't have much knowledge on any drugs, really. All that I know is that they're bad. However, I felt the same way about marijuana, but after... about a year of debates with my friends over it, I see nothing wrong with marijuana being legalized. If a tax was put on it, that would definitely benefit the country, too. Imagine how many people would buy it, and the income it would make.

I don't know why marijuana is illegal and alcohol is legal. Alcohol is definitely more... threatening.

But apart from that, I just think marijuana should be legalized, and I have no opinion on other drugs, because of a lack of knowledge about them.

Marijuana, though, seems to have side effects that don't cause health problems. The only one I can think of is that, if you smoke it over a long period of time (years and years), it could lead to depression. That's about it....

Now I'm done.
ninja ninja  
PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2008 6:14 pm
chessiejo
Should they be legal? yes
prohibition of alcohol was a failure
and the war on drugs has failed too
it and the mandatory sentencing for pot etc are hugely expensive
legalizaiton works fine in the Netherlands

Which ones do you think should be legal?
every last blessed one

Why do you think this way?
people should be free to do what they want as long as it does no injury to another. so a pregnant woman should not do drugs (or drink or smoke either). and you shouldn't drive under the influence. but otherwise, why is it anybody's business? have lots of education about the dangers, let people have information (and let it be honest), and then let them choose. and set up clinics for addicts who want to quit.
if we taxed pot instead of banning it we sould have a lot more income while saving much public expense.

Do you use drugs?
not any more. i would not advise my friends to either.

Have anything else about drugs you wish to share?
to me this is closely related to sexual conduct and homosexuality, as far as how society treats behaviors.
these behaviors are not threatening if they are legalized. the only thing that makes them a threat to society is their criminality. people steal to buy illegal drugs. they dont steal to buy cigs or booze. so let it be a private personal decision, it doesnt have to be a problem unles s we make it one.

I agree with everything. I have used drugs (weed, adderoll, cigarettes, alcohol) but they aren't a major part of my life (ok, maybe cigarettes are) and I wouldn't want them to be. Sure, I like getting drunk or high or whatever, but I do so infrequently and with consideration.  

Iconoclast Enthusiast

5,650 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Brandisher 100
11: The Intelligent Cogitation: For the Master Debaters

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 6

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items