Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Endrael

Codger

PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2006 10:29 pm
AstronomyGirl
Endrael
Bush vetoes stem cell research bill

"Calling the destruction of human embryos a line that society should not cross, President Bush has vetoed a bill that would have overturned his ban on new federal funding for human embryonic stem cell research, but opponents are urging an override."

Does this come as a surprise at all? stare

rolleyes Another stupid move by Bush and now so much research that _could_ be taking place isn't. stare

Yeah. I'm really hoping the veto gets overturned and effectively castrates Bush's ultra-conservative religious idiocy.  
PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2006 2:55 pm
Endrael
AstronomyGirl
Endrael

"Calling the destruction of human embryos a line that society should not cross, President Bush has vetoed a bill that would have overturned his ban on new federal funding for human embryonic stem cell research, but opponents are urging an override."

rolleyes Another stupid move by Bush and now so much research that _could_ be taking place isn't. stare

Yeah. I'm really hoping the veto gets overturned and effectively castrates Bush's ultra-conservative religious idiocy.

3nodding Indeed.
Plus I can't wait for Bush to be out of there. He's an idiot. I have no repect for him. stare (Guess it's good that I don't live in the US blaugh )  

AstronomyGirl

Planetary Astronomer

57,900 Points
  • Conventioneer 300
  • That One Hero 500
  • Planetary Technician 150

Endrael

Codger

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2006 6:36 pm
AstronomyGirl
Endrael
AstronomyGirl
Endrael

3nodding Indeed.
Plus I can't wait for Bush to be out of there. He's an idiot. I have no repect for him. stare (Guess it's good that I don't live in the US blaugh )

Two more years, and I'm hoping the 2008 elections aren't a repeat circus confused But if the trend continues, as it has over the last several administrations and elections (since Nixon, at least), then I'm afraid the US government is effectively nothing more than a centralized power broker for corporations, the ultra-conservatives, and imperialists. Which basically means a new face, but business as usual *sigh* Although with the current regime, there really isn't any difference between the corporatists, ultra-conservatives, and imperialists gonk

But yeh. Enough politics. I'm tired of it right now, and I have more immediate concerns, like whether or not I'm going to be able to make rent again this month, let alone utilities stressed  
PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2006 6:13 pm
Endrael

Two more years, and I'm hoping the 2008 elections aren't a repeat circus confused But if the trend continues, as it has over the last several administrations and elections (since Nixon, at least), then I'm afraid the US government is effectively nothing more than a centralized power broker for corporations, the ultra-conservatives, and imperialists. Which basically means a new face, but business as usual *sigh* Although with the current regime, there really isn't any difference between the corporatists, ultra-conservatives, and imperialists gonk

But yeh. Enough politics. I'm tired of it right now, and I have more immediate concerns, like whether or not I'm going to be able to make rent again this month, let alone utilities stressed

agreed. enough politics for now. 3nodding
:S that's not good not knowing how to pay for rent and that. Wish I could help somehow... but I don't have the money to lend in real life, nor do I know you to send it to you. ... Hope everything works out.

... to change the subject now... been so busy lately I haven't had any time to catch up and read all those new posts you posted a while ago. blaugh One of these days I'll get to it though. sweatdrop lol  

AstronomyGirl

Planetary Astronomer

57,900 Points
  • Conventioneer 300
  • That One Hero 500

Endrael

Codger

PostPosted: Sat Jul 29, 2006 1:19 pm
AstronomyGirl
:S that's not good not knowing how to pay for rent and that. Wish I could help somehow... but I don't have the money to lend in real life, nor do I know you to send it to you. ... Hope everything works out.

blaugh No worries. I've some friends who're willing to help out (angels, them), so most of the stress is mainly that I really dislike having to borrow money like that and not being able to find a job because there's not much here xp

AstronomyGirl
... to change the subject now... been so busy lately I haven't had any time to catch up and read all those new posts you posted a while ago. blaugh One of these days I'll get to it though. sweatdrop lol

No worries. It's not like they're going anywhere wink  
PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2006 3:15 pm
Endrael
AstronomyGirl

blaugh No worries. I've some friends who're willing to help out (angels, them), so most of the stress is mainly that I really dislike having to borrow money like that and not being able to find a job because there's not much here xp

Well that's good that you were able to get money for rent and such. And I'm sure you'll be able to get a job soon. ^_^  

AstronomyGirl

Planetary Astronomer

57,900 Points
  • Conventioneer 300
  • That One Hero 500

Endrael

Codger

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2006 11:39 am
Powering Up, One Step at a Time

"British engineers are converting street vibrations into electricity and predict a working prototype by Christmas capable of powering facility lights in the busiest areas of a city."

Power Up With Magnetic Bacteria

"A 16-year-old high school student has invented a new way of producing electricity by harnessing the brawny power of bacteria."  
PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2006 6:23 pm
Endrael
Powering Up, One Step at a Time

"British engineers are converting street vibrations into electricity and predict a working prototype by Christmas capable of powering facility lights in the busiest areas of a city."

Power Up With Magnetic Bacteria

"A 16-year-old high school student has invented a new way of producing electricity by harnessing the brawny power of bacteria."

whoa... those are really interesting ideas. I hope something come out of them. It would be great to find good renewable energy sourses. 3nodding  

AstronomyGirl

Planetary Astronomer

57,900 Points
  • Conventioneer 300
  • That One Hero 500

Endrael

Codger

PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2006 3:20 pm
Since we haven't had any news updates lately, here's something that will, if we're lucky, be true and finally bring an end to our slow poisoning of the planet with our use of fossil fuels.

Scientists flock to test 'free energy' discovery

"A man who claims to have developed a free energy technology which could power everything from mobile phones to cars has received more than 400 applications from scientists to test it."  
PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2006 7:39 pm
Endrael
Since we haven't had any news updates lately, here's something that will, if we're lucky, be true and finally bring an end to our slow poisoning of the planet with our use of fossil fuels.

"A man who claims to have developed a free energy technology which could power everything from mobile phones to cars has received more than 400 applications from scientists to test it."

sorry for not posting more news myself sweatdrop Life has just been so crazy for me lately.

ooo! That's great news though. ^_^ I hope something become of this. It would be great to find altermative sourses of energy. 3nodding  

AstronomyGirl

Planetary Astronomer

57,900 Points
  • Conventioneer 300
  • That One Hero 500

Endrael

Codger

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2006 1:37 pm
AstronomyGirl
Endrael

sorry for not posting more news myself sweatdrop Life has just been so crazy for me lately.

ooo! That's great news though. ^_^ I hope something become of this. It would be great to find altermative sourses of energy. 3nodding

No worries. Life's been busy for me, too :S But yeah, it's a great possibility, and I'm hoping it works out, too. There's a lot of developments lately in alternative energy sources, and they're not getting nearly the level of attention they deserve.

As for other news, the guidelines for what constitutes a planet are finally in:

Astronomers Say Pluto Is Not a Planet

"Leading astronomers declared Thursday that Pluto is no longer a planet under historic new guidelines that downsize the solar system from nine planets to eight."

My only thought on this: Who wants to bet that within the next few years, they'll discover a solar system with gas giant planets in elliptical, overlapping orbits and have to rewrite the guidelines for what constitutes a planet? rofl  
PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2006 6:51 pm
Revealed: world's oldest computer

"It looks like a heap of rubbish, feels like flaky pastry and has been linked to aliens. For decades, scientists have puzzled over the complex collection of cogs, wheels and dials seen as the most sophisticated object from antiquity, writes Helena Smith. But 102 years after the discovery of the calcium-encrusted bronze mechanism on the ocean floor, hidden inscriptions show that it is the world's oldest computer, used to map the motions of the sun, moon and planets."  

Endrael

Codger

AstronomyGirl

Planetary Astronomer

57,900 Points
  • Conventioneer 300
  • That One Hero 500
PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2006 6:53 pm
Endrael

"Leading astronomers declared Thursday that Pluto is no longer a planet under historic new guidelines that downsize the solar system from nine planets to eight."

My only thought on this: Who wants to bet that within the next few years, they'll discover a solar system with gas giant planets in elliptical, overlapping orbits and have to rewrite the guidelines for what constitutes a planet? rofl

Well I must say that I am VERY happy with these definitions. The one that they had just a little while ago... arg... don't get me started on it, I can rant for hours. blaugh
As for finding gas giant planets with elliptical overlapping orbits, well firstly, thats VERY unlikely (to my knowledge) and secondly there would proababy be some obvious outside source to cause that pattern which we can use to explain it.
I don't see there being anything that could cause a need for us to change the definition of a planet as we have now.  
PostPosted: Sun Aug 27, 2006 7:59 pm
AstronomyGirl
Endrael

Well I must say that I am VERY happy with these definitions. The one that they had just a little while ago... arg... don't get me started on it, I can rant for hours. blaugh
As for finding gas giant planets with elliptical overlapping orbits, well firstly, thats VERY unlikely (to my knowledge) and secondly there would proababy be some obvious outside source to cause that pattern which we can use to explain it.
I don't see there being anything that could cause a need for us to change the definition of a planet as we have now.

True, it is unlikely, but it's still feasible and possible. If the planets have abnormal orbits like Pluto does (not on the same plane as the rest of the solar system), it's entirely possible that that particular planet could safely travel in its orbit indefinitely without disrupting/disruption from whatever other planet(s) whose orbit(s) it happened to overlap.  

Endrael

Codger

AstronomyGirl

Planetary Astronomer

57,900 Points
  • Conventioneer 300
  • That One Hero 500
PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2006 8:47 am
Endrael
AstronomyGirl
Endrael

True, it is unlikely, but it's still feasible and possible. If the planets have abnormal orbits like Pluto does (not on the same plane as the rest of the solar system), it's entirely possible that that particular planet could safely travel in its orbit indefinitely without disrupting/disruption from whatever other planet(s) whose orbit(s) it happened to overlap.

yes, it is true that a planet could be in a safe orbit like Pluto is, but then to get a large enough object that would be considered a planet in an orbit like that, well then that would also totally change our thoughs about how solarsystems are formed as well as our definition of a planet. As we know it, that couldn't happen.
that's what I was trying to get at.  
72: Science & Astronomy Hangout

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 6 7 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces