Submit

Are they real?
  yeah they exist
  they're a bunch of milarky
View Results

okdud12

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2007 2:42 pm
Fem_chan
The whole thing about Black Holes, it makes me speculate my head off.
I've always seen them as some sort of portals into places/worlds/alternatives we can't even imagine.
That off course, is part of a popular theory I picked up somewhere and thought over quite a few times.

On the other hand, it's hard to imagine them as portals into nothingness, with absolute gravity (what's the term for it in English), causin' some sort of implosions, well that's defying all we know in known Physics, loss of materials and such...
sweatdrop

i think thats wormhole

black hole is a thing with so much gravity even light can't get out hence the name "black" holes  
PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2007 5:09 pm
okdud12
Fem_chan
I've always seen them as some sort of portals into places/worlds/alternatives we can't even imagine.
That off course, is part of a popular theory I picked up somewhere and thought over quite a few times.

On the other hand, it's hard to imagine them as portals into nothingness, with absolute gravity (what's the term for it in English), causin' some sort of implosions, well that's defying all we know in known Physics, loss of materials and such...
sweatdrop

i think thats wormhole

black hole is a thing with so much gravity even light can't get out hence the name "black" holes

No, they think its possible for Black Holes to do the same thing, although you may not survie the intense gravity  

Kurzon_Dax

AstronomyGirl

Planetary Astronomer

57,900 Points
  • Conventioneer 300
  • That One Hero 500
  • Planetary Technician 150
PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2007 9:11 am
Kurzon_Dax
have noooo idea what 'QM' means, but Black holes do exist, weather they be endless unforgivving abyass from hell, or just a portal to some distant part of the galaxy and/or parallel dimension, but i dont think theres one in the middle of the galaxy

QM = quantum mechanics

I'm not saying black holes don't exsist. I know they do. We have evidence of it. I'm just saying that no normal main squence star can be a black hole at the same time. Only after a massive star has died can it be a black hole.  
PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2007 9:13 am
Kurzon_Dax
okdud12
Fem_chan

sweatdrop

i think thats wormhole

No, they think its possible for Black Holes to do the same thing, although you may not survie the intense gravity

Yes you are correct here. It is possible, but we really don't know. If it is then the singularity would have to be a loop instead of a point, so it woudl have to be a rotatiating black hole, and even then you still have to make it into the hole without getting killed form the gravitational forces.  

AstronomyGirl

Planetary Astronomer

57,900 Points
  • Conventioneer 300
  • That One Hero 500

Kahalm

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2007 12:11 am
Black holes have always been of great interest to me. I’ve had a few talks on the subject (me leading of course) in clubs and classes in both high school and collage. One thing that I have learned about blackholes is that you should never trust anything you have heard/read/been taught if its older than a year or two. The science behind the formation and properties behind blackholes are constantly being updated or changed.

They have been proven to exist, by our current science and math. Scientists have found stars which orbit at extremely high speeds a point where there is no detectable substance. The amount of gravity that it would take to have stars orbit around the centralized point would be so intense that it would even capture light, thus an un-seeable point. The only way to disprove these findings would be to either disprove how we measure distance/speed of stars (red shift) or by prove that our formulas dealing with gravity are wrong...

As to how blackholes form the current theory is Gamma Ray Bursts (GRBs). GRBs are the largest release of energy known since the big bang. These rare events come in two different flavors (if you will... its late when I’m posting this so please don’t mind misspellings or slang terms).

One is where two hyper massive objects collide, such as neutron stars (the 'corpses' of extremely massive stars), Pulsars (similar to neutron stars, except they are spinning very fast and have two beams of energy on the poles of the star. The name pulsar is given because from earth they seem to pulse with light, caused by the rapid spinning of the pulsar and its beams of energy), or blackholes. These often give a very short but powerful release of energy, lasting less than a second.

The second type is caused when stars at an truly monster of a star (50 times our stars mass) explodes, a type of supernova dubbed "hypernova." These 'hypernovas' don’t have one large event like the collision GRB, however last much longer with many small internal events.

GRBs where first discovered when the US military launched satellites to detect gamma radiation on earth’s surface, mostly to spy on the Russians. To supprize of the operators they picked up some massive gamma ray burst about once a day. Not from earth but from space... Interesting bit of history... For those who are a little bit interested in GRBs there is a website which tracks detected GRBs and updates them real time ( http://grb.sonoma.edu/ ). I have a bit more on GRBs if anyone is interested... but I don’t wana bore the casual reader.

Anyway beyond GRBs black holes have many theoreticaly properties. Although it is 'technically' not possible to truly 'prove' or 'disprove' whether they are for fact, our best science offers many glimpses onto what is plausible and what is just sci-fi myth. Due to the fact I’m kinda tired I’m not going to really go into all the interesting little knick knacks.

My sources are...
High school astronomy class (collage level course)
Astronomy Club
"The Death Star" Discovery Science channel special
http://grb.sonoma.edu/
"A brief History of time" and "The universe in a nutshell" -Steven Hawking
And of course MANY others websites and/or books I have visited/read over the years...

Mind you Any source that is more than a few years old is likely unreliable, Although the basic knowledge has been fairly consistant, the more complex properties of a blackhole are often debated.

Now if you haven’t already passed by my little rant here I have some questions I would like to ask. some things I have heard at a glance, however not truly done the research for myself, so I would like to know if anyone has...

I have heard, in passing, about "whiteholes" Suposed 'outlets' for blackholes matter. These whiteholes suposedly will exist in the future, but our universe isnt old enough to have whiteholes form. It sounds to me like a term for the outlet for a wormhole. I heard this from a few of my geek friends of mine, one whom isnt likely to spit out random facts unless he had read something about it himself... Im just too lazy to conferm him on this. If anyone knows anything about these, It would be cool.

Anyway, thanks for pressing though my huge and annoyingly long rant. I heart you!  
PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2007 4:31 pm
AstronomyGirl
Kurzon_Dax
have noooo idea what 'QM' means, but Black holes do exist, weather they be endless unforgivving abyass from hell, or just a portal to some distant part of the galaxy and/or parallel dimension, but i dont think theres one in the middle of the galaxy

QM = quantum mechanics

I'm not saying black holes don't exsist. I know they do. We have evidence of it. I'm just saying that no normal main squence star can be a black hole at the same time. Only after a massive star has died can it be a black hole.

Well duh, thats just commen sence right there...no offence. And your other quate to what i said, thast exactly what I meant...except better put.  

Kurzon_Dax

Kurzon_Dax

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2007 4:33 pm
Kahalm

I have heard, in passing, about "whiteholes" Suposed 'outlets' for blackholes matter. These whiteholes suposedly will exist in the future, but our universe isnt old enough to have whiteholes form. It sounds to me like a term for the outlet for a wormhole. I heard this from a few of my geek friends of mine, one whom isnt likely to spit out random facts unless he had read something about it himself... Im just too lazy to conferm him on this. If anyone knows anything about these, It would be cool.

Anyway, thanks for pressing though my huge and annoyingly long rant. I heart you!

The outlet for wormholes is the other end of a wormhole. But if the whitehole theory were true, that would mean that blackholes were time travlieing portals, which i highly doubt.  
PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2007 5:28 pm
Kahalm

I did enjoy reading your rant. ^_^ Nothing new in there though. It's stuff I've known for a while now.

As for while holes, there's lots of ideas about them. I'm not to sure what you're going on about there with the whole outlet thing.
All I know about whiteholes is that if they do exsist they would be the other end of a black hole. Stuff goes in the black hole and out the white hole on the other end.
Worm holes are a different thing all together.
... sorry if you already knew that. I'm not all up to date on BH research.  

AstronomyGirl

Planetary Astronomer

57,900 Points
  • Conventioneer 300
  • That One Hero 500

UF6

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2007 10:26 pm
Kurzon_Dax
Kahalm

The outlet for wormholes is the other end of a wormhole. But if the white hole theory were true, that would mean that blackholes were time travlieing portals, which i highly doubt.
White holes are a interest since they don't pertain to this universe since matter exist once it hits the time grid or the are around it it disperses. All that opposite of a black hole blahblah and so on. What interest me is they could have existed in the past, but not now....humm but how would once exist of a black hole hole as needed?  
PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2007 10:27 pm
AstronomyGirl
Kahalm

I did enjoy reading your rant. ^_^ Nothing new in there though. It's stuff I've known for a while now.

As for while holes, there's lots of ideas about them. I'm not to sure what you're going on about there with the whole outlet thing.
All I know about whiteholes is that if they do exsist they would be the other end of a black hole. Stuff goes in the black hole and out the white hole on the other end.
Worm holes are a different thing all together.
... sorry if you already knew that. I'm not all up to date on BH research.
I'll scan some papers in for you to read from books I been going back to, right now its bed time.  

UF6

Kurzon_Dax

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2007 10:30 am
Steven Hawkings
Kurzon_Dax
Kahalm

The outlet for wormholes is the other end of a wormhole. But if the white hole theory were true, that would mean that blackholes were time travlieing portals, which i highly doubt.
White holes are a interest since they don't pertain to this universe since matter exist once it hits the time grid or the are around it it disperses. All that opposite of a black hole blahblah and so on. What interest me is they could have existed in the past, but not now....humm but how would once exist of a black hole hole as needed?

Point taken....I understood [most of] that....im scared  
PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2007 9:11 pm
Kurzon_Dax
Steven Hawkings
Kurzon_Dax
Kahalm

Point taken....I understood [most of] that....im scared
I stated the last part wrong in spelling. White holes need black holes to exist, but black holes are created by mass and matter has gravity, so how can they exist though. Since the math states any matter would cease the white hole from existing. So is it anti matter that kept it alflot before it hits the general area?  

UF6

Dracina Dragonfire

Familiar Gaian

8,500 Points
  • Beta Citizen 0
  • Beta Forum Regular 0
  • Invisibility 100
PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2007 7:00 pm
wow! I'm just really happy that I found a place that discusses my future college major! heart I'm not alone!

Black holes are what started getting me interested as a kid in physics (because while other girls played with barbies I watched Bill Nye). I'm highly interested but my knowledge is limited to what you have already posted to be true... (god i wish i could go to night classes)  
PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2007 3:00 am
Black holes are just dead stars that have collapsed in on themselves, creating an incredibly dense core of matter. This core has such a huge gravitational pull that all matter surrounding it within its "Event Horizon", including photons (light particles), are pulled into it. They cannot be seen, merely detected by the gravitational effect on surrounding major astronomical bodies. They are not portals to another time or place, they are just very small balls of immense mass.

The idea of a portal through time and/or space comes from the wormhole: a theoretical bend, crease or ruffle in the fabric of the space-time continuum. If such a thing were to exist then, supposing we had the technology to get to it, it would allow us to primarily travel through "space". Because the distance we would be travelling would (possibly) be so immense, we could arguably be travelling faster than the speed of light and therefore also travelling through "time".

We must remember that the light we see reaching us from these distant stars and galaxies and so on is sometimes millions of years old: it does not show us a current picture of the universe, but a picture of the universe as it was all those millions of years ago.  

Seanchaidh

Aged Explorer

3,050 Points
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Happy Birthday! 100
  • Treasure Hunter 100

UF6

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2007 8:24 pm
Dracina_Dragonfire
wow! I'm just really happy that I found a place that discusses my future college major! heart I'm not alone!

Black holes are what started getting me interested as a kid in physics (because while other girls played with barbies I watched Bill Nye). I'm highly interested but my knowledge is limited to what you have already posted to be true... (god i wish i could go to night classes)
Some high schools offer free college class though I have no idea your age and area of location.  
72: Science & Astronomy Hangout

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 6 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff