Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Endrael

Codger

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2006 12:13 pm
AstronomyGirl
Endrael
Upside-Down Sensors Doomed Craft

"Gravity sensors were installed upside-down aboard a NASA spacecraft, dooming the probe to a 193-mph crash landing in the Utah desert, accident investigators said in a report released Tuesday."

Apparently, every catastrophic failure NASA has experienced over the last several years for probes and such (barring the shuttle burn-up) has been because of laxness on the part of Lockheed Martin. My question is this: Why do they continue relying on LM and trusting them to do the proper testing and manufacturing, when they obviously don't do so consistently and so condemn billions of dollars of research and construction and training to be wasted because of their easily remedied mistakes?

eek Wow. I never knew all those failures were because of LM's not doing things right. Which makes me wonder why haven't they found someone new to do it? Or clamped down on LM? Why are they letting them continue to make those mistakes. stare

Politics, methinks stare LM is one of the major defense (read 'war') contractors for the US, so they get preferential treatment for contracting, even if they don't do it properly. Same with Boeing.  
PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2006 8:04 pm
Endrael

Politics, methinks stare LM is one of the major defense (read 'war') contractors for the US, so they get preferential treatment for contracting, even if they don't do it properly. Same with Boeing.

really? arg. stare It's things like this that make me hate politics even more and not want to get involved.  

AstronomyGirl

Planetary Astronomer

57,900 Points
  • Conventioneer 300
  • That One Hero 500
  • Planetary Technician 150

Endrael

Codger

PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2006 1:20 am
Was it here that I mentioned that China now owns all manufacturing capabilities for some of the parts the US military needs in order to manufacture some of its bombs? I can't remember.  
PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2006 9:43 am
Endrael
Was it here that I mentioned that China now owns all manufacturing capabilities for some of the parts the US military needs in order to manufacture some of its bombs? I can't remember.

No, you didnt' mention that. lol That's funny though. What if the US went to war against China, then what would they do? xd  

AstronomyGirl

Planetary Astronomer

57,900 Points
  • Conventioneer 300
  • That One Hero 500

Endrael

Codger

PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2006 11:56 am
AstronomyGirl
Endrael

No, you didnt' mention that. lol That's funny though. What if the US went to war against China, then what would they do? xd

Violate a lot of the treating-with-the-enemy laws, methinks rofl  
PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2006 11:59 am
Russian mission to Mars in 2009 is official

"Russia plans to send up a space exploration capsule to analyse the surface of Mars and collect test samples from one of the red planet's moons in 2009, Russia's space agency said Friday."

What I'm curious about is whether the US will put as much effort into matching Russia this time around as it did during the 60s. I'm betting it won't, with the rate it's accumulating debt.  

Endrael

Codger

AstronomyGirl

Planetary Astronomer

57,900 Points
  • Conventioneer 300
  • That One Hero 500
PostPosted: Sat Jun 17, 2006 1:43 pm
Endrael
Russian mission to Mars in 2009 is official

"Russia plans to send up a space exploration capsule to analyse the surface of Mars and collect test samples from one of the red planet's moons in 2009, Russia's space agency said Friday."

What I'm curious about is whether the US will put as much effort into matching Russia this time around as it did during the 60s. I'm betting it won't, with the rate it's accumulating debt.

humm. yea. The space race that was going on back in the 60's doesnt' seem to be as strong anymore. Seems like the US doesnt' really care as much what Russia is doing in space. If anything it needs it's help, what with the shuttle being out of commision and US astronauts in the space station.
This will be interesting to see if the US does anything to try and out-do this mission Russia is doing.  
PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2006 1:17 pm
There hasn't been any news for a while, so here's some to make up for it mrgreen

Serious Study: Immaturity Levels Rising
"The adage "like a kid at heart" may be truer than we think, since new research is showing that grown-ups are more immature than ever."

My comment: The research apparently overlooks the negative effects of a child-like mentality on the wider culture/society. IE short attention spans, tempermental, and pleasure seeking.

Pluto's Tiny Twin Moons Named
""I was having insomnia one night so I went and did a web search for all things related to Pluto and Charon," said Andrew Steffl, with the Southwest Research Institute in Boulder, Colo., one of three astronomers credited with discovering the moons."

Charged Paper Moves on Its Own
"Gold-coated cellophane that bends when charged could work as the tiny wing-flexing muscles in paper surveillance planes, insect robots or even serve as smart wallpaper that emits sound like a speaker."

Classic Spider Web Spun For Millions of Years
"The classic spider's web, like Charlotte would have woven, was invented just once, way back in the Cretaceous period some 136 million years ago, scientists report."

Photos Taken of 'Living Fossil' in Laos
"The first pictures showing a live specimen of a rodent species once thought to have been extinct for 11 million years have been taken by a retired Florida State University professor and a Thai wildlife biologist."  

Endrael

Codger

AstronomyGirl

Planetary Astronomer

57,900 Points
  • Conventioneer 300
  • That One Hero 500
PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2006 8:09 pm
Yay! News! Yea sorry I haven't been posting much. Been busy. sweatdrop
And it's late so I'll read all that news tomorrow when I get a chance.  
PostPosted: Tue Jul 04, 2006 5:51 pm
Animal Intelligence Resists Definition

"People generally define intelligence in terms that place our own species at the apex, but recent studies on other animals suggest skills such as abstract thinking, problem solving, reasoning, and language — once thought unique to us — may not be so uncommon after all."

Study: Language Determines Music Skills

"The native language of an individual not only influences whether or not the speaker will have perfect pitch, but it also affects any instrumental music that the person might compose, according to two studies presented at this week's Acoustical Society of America (ASA) meeting in San Diego."  

Endrael

Codger

AstronomyGirl

Planetary Astronomer

57,900 Points
  • Conventioneer 300
  • That One Hero 500
PostPosted: Tue Jul 04, 2006 7:37 pm
Endrael

"People generally define intelligence in terms that place our own species at the apex, but recent studies on other animals suggest skills such as abstract thinking, problem solving, reasoning, and language — once thought unique to us — may not be so uncommon after all."

"The native language of an individual not only influences whether or not the speaker will have perfect pitch, but it also affects any instrumental music that the person might compose, according to two studies presented at this week's Acoustical Society of America (ASA) meeting in San Diego."

yay more news! ... and I just realized I still haven't read the old articles you posted in your last post. sweatdrop I best get on that. blaugh  
PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2006 3:33 am
AstronomyGirl
Endrael

yay more news! ... and I just realized I still haven't read the old articles you posted in your last post. sweatdrop I best get on that. blaugh

blaugh No rush. It's not like they're going anywhere wink  

Endrael

Codger

Endrael

Codger

PostPosted: Sun Jul 16, 2006 2:02 pm
Congress: Stem Vote Showdown

"Congress embarks this week on the weightiest of debates on morality and the march of science, deciding whether to use public money for embryonic stem-cell research and, in turn, setting up President Bush's first veto."

I predict a veto, given Bush's past record stare  
PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2006 6:45 pm
Bush vetoes stem cell research bill

"Calling the destruction of human embryos a line that society should not cross, President Bush has vetoed a bill that would have overturned his ban on new federal funding for human embryonic stem cell research, but opponents are urging an override."

Does this come as a surprise at all? stare  

Endrael

Codger

AstronomyGirl

Planetary Astronomer

57,900 Points
  • Conventioneer 300
  • That One Hero 500
PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2006 10:26 am
Endrael
Bush vetoes stem cell research bill

"Calling the destruction of human embryos a line that society should not cross, President Bush has vetoed a bill that would have overturned his ban on new federal funding for human embryonic stem cell research, but opponents are urging an override."

Does this come as a surprise at all? stare

rolleyes Another stupid move by Bush and now so much research that _could_ be taking place isn't. stare  
72: Science & Astronomy Hangout

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 6 7 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff