Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Dungeons & Dragons Guild

Back to Guilds

A Dungeons & Dragons Roleplaying Guild - We have many active games, join requests are checked often, and everyone is accepted. 

Tags: Dungeons, Dragons, Roleplaying, Dungeons and Dragons 

Reply The Dungeons & Dragons Guild
Mythweavers is "Protesting" for 24 hours Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

SporkMaster5000
Crew

Invisible Citizen

10,000 Points
  • Millionaire 200
  • Invisibility 100
  • Megathread 100
PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 7:57 pm
Suicidesoldier#1
THIS POST HAS BEEN CENSORED BY SOPA
Do you seriously not know what a strike is?  
PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 8:01 pm
SporkMaster5000
Suicidesoldier#1
Do you seriously not know what a strike is?

Suicidesoldier#1

Fanatical Zealot

Vorastrix

Hilarious Sage

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 8:05 pm
Suicidesoldier#1

no, the whole reason wiki is on blackout, is because wiki is one of the many sites this corporations could target if this new bill gets established, hence the black out. they're not going to black out for random stuff, this would directly effect the site.

and once again, you're just complaining that in your mind, this isn't the right way to do it, while not actually suggesting anything that would. This actually has the potential to do something while doing nothing doesn't  
PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 8:09 pm
it's not even a complete black-out. the site isn't offline, it's just doing something different: informing people about SOPA and PIPA, and allowing you to contact those that could directly effect the bill and voicing your opinion by giving you zip code  

Vorastrix

Hilarious Sage

Suicidesoldier#1

Fanatical Zealot

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 8:11 pm
Vorastrix
Suicidesoldier#1

no, the whole reason wiki is on blackout, is because wiki is one of the many sites this corporations could target if this new bill gets established, hence the black out. they're not going to black out for random stuff, this would directly effect the site.

and once again, you're just complaining that in your mind, this isn't the right way to do it, while not actually suggesting anything that would. This actually has the potential to do something while doing nothing doesn't

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 8:29 pm
advertisements and annoying little pop-ups are an alternative, but they are easily ignored, and more often than not are. I'm glad that you have finally stated an alternative, but i'm not sure it would be more effective then the black-outs. Yes they would have the benefit of not being much of an inconvenience, but that's the point, because of the black-out, we have been discussing it all day.

To some measure, i agree with you, which is why i am glad with what ctrl + alt + del did, where they had an informative video before you could get to their site, but I also see that the black out was a very good demonstation of what could happen while at the same time presenting the information and allowing you to be apart of the solution, and i find it slightly annoying that the result they clearly got with you is that instead of helping, you have been whining all day that they should have done it differently.

I ask you, and guessing that you haven't done anything right now because the black-outs annoyed you, would you have done anything to try and prevent the bills if all you saw was some advertisement and annoying pop-ups?  

Vorastrix

Hilarious Sage

KytanaTheThief
Crew

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 8:33 pm
First off, suicide, you're calculating those hours wrong. This blackout was planned in advance, and was circulated among the companies and groups whose main focus is the internet. How else would they have all planned to do this on the same day? And you can bet that people among those companies were talking about this to everyone they knew. So, this has much more of an impact than just the 24 hours that most sites are down.

Also, I'm going to try to reword what everyone else is saying in the infinitesimally small hope that you understand it this time. Using myth-weavers as an example, they are currently making their site unavailable for use for 24 hours. While I will admit that there are many people who won't look twice at it, I would be willing to bet you that there are equal, or possibly even more people who actually be upset, and/or take the time to read the information posted there, and sign petitions, or email/mail/twitter/facebook their congressman/woman.

Because that is what people are doing.
http://technolog.msnbc.msn.com/_news/2012/01/18/10183167-in-wake-of-web-blackout-sopapipa-support-weakens

That is at least 10 government people who are pulling their support of this bill. And you claim that this is not going to work?

Then, sir, I tip my hat off to you for managing to keep your insane logic in our reality.  
PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 8:37 pm
Vorastrix
advertisements and annoying little pop-ups are an alternative, but they are easily ignored, and more often than not are. I'm glad that you have finally stated an alternative, but i'm not sure it would be more effective then the black-outs. Yes they would have the benefit of not being much of an inconvenience, but that's the point, because of the black-out, we have been discussing it all day.

To some measure, i agree with you, which is why i am glad with what ctrl + alt + del did, where they had an informative video before you could get to their site, but I also see that the black out was a very good demonstation of what could happen while at the same time presenting the information and allowing you to be apart of the solution, and i find it slightly annoying that the result they clearly got with you is that instead of helping, you have been whining all day that they should have done it differently.

I ask you, and guessing that you haven't done anything right now because the black-outs annoyed you, would you have done anything to try and prevent the bills if all you saw was some advertisement and annoying pop-ups?

Suicidesoldier#1

Fanatical Zealot

Suicidesoldier#1

Fanatical Zealot

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 8:38 pm
KytanaTheThief
First off, suicide, you're calculating those hours wrong. This blackout was planned in advance, and was circulated among the companies and groups whose main focus is the internet. How else would they have all planned to do this on the same day? And you can bet that people among those companies were talking about this to everyone they knew. So, this has much more of an impact than just the 24 hours that most sites are down.

Also, I'm going to try to reword what everyone else is saying in the infinitesimally small hope that you understand it this time. Using myth-weavers as an example, they are currently making their site unavailable for use for 24 hours. While I will admit that there are many people who won't look twice at it, I would be willing to bet you that there are equal, or possibly even more people who actually be upset, and/or take the time to read the information posted there, and sign petitions, or email/mail/twitter/facebook their congressman/woman.

Because that is what people are doing.
http://technolog.msnbc.msn.com/_news/2012/01/18/10183167-in-wake-of-web-blackout-sopapipa-support-weakens

That is at least 10 government people who are pulling their support of this bill. And you claim that this is not going to work?

Then, sir, I tip my hat off to you for managing to keep your insane logic in our reality.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 8:39 pm
Suicidesoldier#1

Congress doesn't work like that.  

Absolute Virtue

Suicidesoldier#1

Fanatical Zealot

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 8:40 pm
Absolute Virtue
Suicidesoldier#1

Congress doesn't work like that.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 8:40 pm
So according to you...it's just coincidence that now is when all these Senators are renouncing their support, instead of...oh...days...weeks ago....when they would have looked better for not being behind it for as long as they were?  

KytanaTheThief
Crew

Suicidesoldier#1

Fanatical Zealot

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 8:42 pm
KytanaTheThief
So according to you...it's just coincidence that now is when all these Senators are renouncing their support, instead of...oh...days...weeks ago....when they would have looked better for not being behind it for as long as they were?

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 8:46 pm
Suicidesoldier#1

You're still not even saying that your method would work, and you're even complaining about tolerating the ads.

and if you think about it, it would be difficult to get someone to be interested in helping a cause about a bill like this with just advertisements  

Vorastrix

Hilarious Sage

Suicidesoldier#1

Fanatical Zealot

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 8:47 pm
Vorastrix
Suicidesoldier#1

You're still not even saying that your method would work, and you're even complaining about tolerating the ads.

and if you think about it, it would be difficult to get someone to be interested in helping a cause about a bill like this with just advertisements

The Dungeons & Dragons Guild

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces