[IC] Wi Ile Anpo's Teepee Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 6 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Harperking

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2006 1:57 pm
Wambli nodded her head in agreement.

"Your mother is right, little ones,' she said in a warm tone. "We are all of hte wind. I just have a little extra to help me touch the sky. You, however, have lovely spots and colors on your coats that I lack. Each one of us in unique as the Spirit wills it."

Wambli looked at the two foals, and could see the curiosity clearly evident on their young faces. With a nickering laugh she stepped back a pace.

"I can see it in your eyes though, you want to see these wings of mine," she said through her laughter. "Go on then, have a look. You can touch them if you want, just be careful of them!" With her words, she spread her wings out to each side just above foal head height, providing a canopy of filtered light for them to duck under.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2006 6:14 am
"I don't have spots. At least not like Thistle, Vevina, and Momma. I look more like Pappa but with a diffrent color." Rose anounced proudly."

"Ohhhh." Wild rose expelled a breth of wondered as she paced slowly forward looking up at the striking mix of black white and gold on Wambli's feathers.

"The feathers look so soft, yet they're stong enough to keep you in the sky."The little filly seemed to be delighted by the contradiction. Gingerly Rose extended her nose to fist sniff at and then carefully touch one of the long primaries.

Laughing she turned with a prance in her step to her family. "They're stonger than they look and they tickle! I like feathers."

Thinking of another question Rose spun back around to look up at the wind mare and voice her stream of queries. "Do your feathers ever tickle you? And if they do when does it happen on the ground or in the sky? If it happens in the sky what do you do? I think I would fall right out of the sky if feathers started tickling me when I was up in the air."

Ayita chuckled at Roses reaction to touching feathers for the first time and came to stand next to the energetic fillies to exert a little calming influence upon the foals. Though she stayed silented and mearly watched them as they investigated this new and wonderous sight.

Foalen

4,600 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • Consumer 100
  • Member 100

Harperking

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2006 8:06 am
Wambli shivered her feathers over the youngsters, tickling them slightly before she lifted her wings up and over and then folded them up against her sides.

"They do tickle sometimes, but I am use to it now," she said with a smile. "I still like to surprise Anpo with them when she isn't looking!"

She shifted a little as she spoke, the beads on her leather bracelets catching teh sunlight as she did so. "Since you like feathers, the next time I have one come loose I will save it for you. Perhaps you can have the shaman put it on a cord for you to wear."

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2006 4:13 pm
Rose's eyes gleemed brightly at the idea of having a feather of her very own and she nodded her head vigorously prancing as she did so. "Could we? Oh that would be wonderful! Mama do you think the shaman would make a necklace for us. Do you? Oh this is so exciting! I can't wait! Laughing she pulled to a stop suddenly her small tail flipping merrily.

Then as if remembering her manners the young filly's manner sobered silightly as she looked up at Wambil. "Oh thank you. It's so nice of you to offer one of your feathers to us. I will tresure it always. I wish I could give something to you in return but I don't have any feathers."

The chestnut foal tilted her head to the side trying to think of something that might be a suitable gift her pink toung sticking out of the corner of her mough as she consentrated all her thoughts on finding a nice present for Wambil.

Foalen

4,600 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • Consumer 100
  • Member 100

Harperking

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2006 6:01 am
Wambli bit back a laugh at the look of concentration on the filly's face. Foals were so adorable! She couldn't wait until she and Jewel had one of their own to love.

"You don't have to give me anything, young sister of the wind. It is a gify freely given. But if you are wanting to gift in return, then I am sure you will find something that I will love just fine."

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2006 6:44 am
Looking up at Wambli through a large clear eye Rose blinked as she considered the mare's words. Happiness bubbled up within her like water bubbling up in a brook spilling out through her expressive face and the soft sound of her hooves against the earth as she pranced delightedly bobbing her head in agreement.

"I will find you the best present," She said lifing her head high with the absolute certianty that only the very young or very old seem to be able to muster.

"I'm sure you will," Ayita agreed giving Rose and Vevina a loving nuzzle. "For you both are very clever and kind as well." As the foals preened under the praise the painted mare turned to her good friend. Knowing that the little ones would monopolize Wambli's time given half the chance she offered the mare an escape route. "I hope we aren't keeping you. If there is something you need to do or somewhere else you need to go I'm sure we can find something else to do." Seeing Rose's ears droop she added,
"Perhaps we might even go looking for a present."

((I wanted to give you an out in case you wanted to go off and do something else. Though I don't mind continuing if you want to continue. I just wanted to give you the choice. )) biggrin  

Foalen

4,600 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • Consumer 100
  • Member 100

Harperking

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2006 7:59 am
Wambli caught a familiar scent on the wind, and she smiled as she turned to the young fillies.
"We will see each other again I am sure, and you will have many stories to tell me of your adventures!" she said as she turned to see a tall two-legged figure walking out of the woods on the far side of the meadow.
"But if you look over there, you will see my human friend, Anpo, and I believe she is looking for me. And that means she has treats!" the dark mare whickered a little at the thought.
"For now, though, I will leave you with your mother. May the winds watch over you!" she said as the turned to trot away, once more spreading her wings in flight.

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2006 9:15 am
Rose's ears perked up at the mention of treats but her mother was already gently proding the dark chestnut and her grey paint sibling in the general direction of their herd. With a little sigh the filly gave in and turned in the direction the older mare was indicating.

"it would have been nice to have some of the twolegger's treats." She murmered under her breath in protest.

"Those treats are for Wambli little one. But I promise we can go visit my Shaman friend sometime and I am sure he will have some special treats just for you."

"Really?" The filly lifted her head feeling much more cheerful at the prospect of getting a treet for herself. "Can we go now?"

Vevina's head snapped up and she looked over at her mother with wide hopeful eyes. Apparently both of the fillies thought a treat would be just the thing to have at the moment.

Remembering her own youth Ayita laughed. It was a delightful sound that rang through the trees. "I think we could manage that." Looking back to her winged friend Ayita winked as she nodded a final fare well. "Be well Wambli, and give my greetings to Anpo. I'll stop back sometime when I can spend more time with you both."

Then they were off, the two fillies in the lead as they half danced half raced off toward the teepee where the shaman lived.  

Foalen

4,600 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • Consumer 100
  • Member 100

Harperking

PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2006 9:52 am
~A Gift of Flight~

The forest was cool and quiet. Wi Ile Anpo stood silently in the pine thicket, her dark eyes watching the buck as he stepped into the clearing before her. He was full grown, with scars from battles with some predator. A sound to the left caught his attention and she held her breath as he paused, one hoof raised motionless above the leafy forest floor.

The Sioux hunter slowly raised her bow and took careful aim as the buck relaxed once more and began to snuffle the ground in search of tender young shoots of green. With a silent prayer to the Spirit of Deer she released the arrow and saw it fly true, taking the heartshot and falling the buck nearly before he knew what had happened.

Quickly she ran to him and with a quick strike of her knife ended his weak struggles. Chanting over his body she thanked the buck for his sacrifice and bade his spirit an easy and quick journey onto the Spiral Path. It was hard work, but Anpo eventually had her prize ready for carrying back to the village. The meat was wrapped in the hide and tied with a thong, with useful organs, sinew and tasty morsels tucked safely in a cured pouch she had brought with her. The antlers and bones she wanted to keep were tied to the top of the hide bundle and she hoisted the whole large thing to her back, with a strap around her chest and another around her forehead to help her balance it.

As she began her slow walk back to the village she began deciding who would share in the bounty she brought back. There were several orphans that were new arrivals that could use the meat, and the shaman could use the antlers and some meat as well. There was enough here for several people actually, even after she took some to dry for herself. The hide she would cure for her leatherwork. Tasunke was showing her how he made the decorations the soquili loved to wear, and she wanted to have plenty of materials to make them pretty things!

As she cleared the forest edge and started across the meadow that led to the village, a shadow fell across her. Looking up really wasn;t an option with the load she was carrying, but a familiar whinny made it clear just who that shadow belonged to.

"Hau, Wambli!" she called out as she waved an arm to let her beloved friend know she had been recognized. "Meet me by the stream by the teepee, windsib!" Anpo had no way of knowing, of course, if Wambli heard or even understood what she had said. She just knew she wanted to wash some of the blood and dirt off before letting the soquili come near her. Hunting wasn't exactly the cleanest of jobs!

She picked up her own pace to a weary trot, the bundle on her back seeming to have grown to twice the size in the tim it took to walk back to the village! When she reached the small stream that ran near their home she released the carrylines with a sigh of relief, lowering the bundle to a shady spot on a large boulder. That will do for the moment! she thought, as she quickly took off her moccasins and steped into the water. Handsful of sand helped her to scrub away the dried blood. At least the weather was warm enough for summerwear, she mused. It was much easier to clean her skin than it was to clean her winter leggings! The shorter knee legnth set she could wear while hunting in the warm months was much easier to keep clean!

The soft clopping of hooves warned her of the approach of Wambli just before the gentle shove from behind that heralded the mare's arrival. Turning, Anpo gave the soquili a slighly damp but welcome hug.
"Heyla, Wambli" she said with affection. "Have you had fun this day?"
The black and gold mare nodded her head enthusiastically and whinnied a reply. She then nickered and whuffed, her body posture changing as she told the Sioux woman all about her morning adventures. Anpo sat down and watched in delight at the mare's antics.

"Well! I can see that you have had fun! I wish I could understand you better, windsib. You and your gift of flight amaze me sometime," Anpo said as she retied her shoe straps around her ankles and reached up to scratch her friend on the cheek.

At the wistful words, Wambli got a very determined look in her eye. She reached down and whuffled Anpo's hair affectionately, the grabbed the Sioux warrior's braid and tugged it, her meaning quite clear. Up! she was demanding of her two-footed friend.

'Wait a moment! I'll get up, I'll stand!" Anpo wasn;t about to argue with the determined mare. There was obviously something wrong. Why else would Wambli go from the relaxed state she was in to one of such urgency? THe Sioux woman began looking around for danger. A nicker from Wambli brought her attention back to her friend. The mare was staring at her, almost as if she was trying to make her understand something.

Very deliberatly, Wambli Zikala walked over to Wi Ile Anpo and knelt down beside her. With a rustle of feathers, she opened her great wings slightly, then turned and nudged the stock still woman towards her back.

"Wha..oh..no..you can't mean. Wambli!" Anpo walked around to face her companion. She took the mare's muzzle in her hands, the soft hairs tickling her palms. "Are you sure of this, heartsib? It is a great honor you offer me," she asked softly. A soft nicker and Wambli raised her head to rub her cheek alongside that of the woman who had raised her in reply.
"I am truely blessed to be your friend, then," Anpo said as she walked back around and carefully settled herself on Wambli's back.

Anpo had ridden horses before in her life, but this was something entirely different. The knowledge of the intelligence was one thing, the level of trust that she had in Wambli to keep her from harm was something she had never had in any other mount. Teh play of muscles under her leg was also subtly different as well, not to mention the coarse feel of the feathers as they rubbed against her legs. Wambli moved with a smooth gait, giving them both time to accustom themselves to the feeling before picking up the pace.

Anpo felt the mare speed up, and grabbed a firm grip in her mane. Leaning forward, she balanced as well as she could and yelled into the wind, knowing the soquili's keen hearing would hear her.
"Show me the skies, windsib!"

With a jump, Wambli did just that. Her wings unfurled and Anpo felt for the first time what it meant to leave the bounds of earth behind. The up and down rhythm of the wingbeats took some getting use to, and Wambli kept them close to the ground in case Anpo lost her balance. The warrior hung in though, and ululated her joy in the flight at the top of her lungs so that all could hear. Wambli joined in and soon the meadow echoed with the sound of the wild yells and whinnies of the duo.

After a short flight that nonetheless seemed like it lasted a lifetime, Wambli came to a gliding stop and landed, trotting back up to the same place by the stream where Anpo had left the meat from the hunt. The woman dropped from her back and with tears of gratitude turned once more to her winged friend.

"I can never repay the gift you just gave me, Wambli." she said in a strong voice that was full of emotion. "Such a flight is something from stories and song, and to find myself living one is more than I ever dreamed." She gave the mare another strong hug, then turned to pick up her burden from the hunt.

"Come, sister of my heart, let us go give out these gifts, and then you and I will come home and I will tell you a story tonight, hau?"

With a whinny of agreement, Wambli walked up alongside Anpo and the two walked down the path to the village to begin the next chapter of their tale.

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2006 1:39 pm
(in the timeline, this actually takes place before the above story, A Gift of Flight)

~ Wambli Drops Off a Gift ~

It was a beautiful day and the dark mare was enjoying the sun as she grazed in the large meadow. Her tail lazily swishd away the few flies that dared disturb her as she searched out the bits of clover and sweetgrass that were her favorites.
Her peaceful morning was soon shattered by the youthful cries of "happy mother's day!" coming from several of the foals as they brought gifts to their moms. She raised her head and watched as the delighted mares were surprised with such little presents as the young ones could come up with.
I never knew my dam, she thought to herself as she walked back to the teepee she shared with Anpo. My Talker has been parent to me "ever since I came from my basket. But I do know someone who IS a mom!
Her ears flicked forward as she thought of her good friend Ayita. The paint mare's three fillies had brought a lot of laughter to her life, and Wambli decided in that moment that she wanted to give her friend a thanks gift. But what could she give?
She nudged open the flap to the teepee and stepped inside. It was rare that she went inside her foalhood home anymore, preferring to spend her time outside. Today though she wanted to see Anpo and she wanted to find a gift for Ayita. The Sioux warrior wasn't in the teepee though and neither was her bow and carrysack, so Wambli knew she must be out hunting.
A gift, a gift, a gift! she thought as she looked around. A dust motes dancing in a stray bit of sunlight filtering down from the smokehole caught her attention and she watched them for a moment, her gaze following them downward to where the sunlight fell on Anpo's work area.
"My rainbow pieces!" Wambli said in surprise. On one of her recent flights she had found a wonderous sight - a mountain pass with bit of crystal scattered around. She had brought several back in a carrysack and Anpo had been wrapping them in leather to use as decorations. "I'll give Ayita one of those!"
She nosed through the pile until she found one that was perfect, then just as carefully stepped back outside. With a light heart and the crystal carefully held in her mouth, she took to the air and began to look for her friend, intent on giving her a gift in return for the gift of young that Ayita had brought to the village.

User Image  

Harperking

Harperking

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2006 5:14 pm

~A Stranger Arrives~

Sunlight, bright and thick as clover honey, fell across the scattered cloud tops below her as Wambli Zikala flew towards the northern mountains. She was headed towards one of her favorite spots, a nearly hidden widening of a pass that had caught her eye back when the snows had first melted. Around her neck she carried a soft doeskin bag, for she had a mission in mind today. The black on gold wind mare was on a hunt - a hunt for the colorful bits of rock that she referred to as rainbow pieces.

There's the outcropping that looks like a sleeping badger! I'm almost there! she thought as she slowed her wingbeats. Gliding downward in a long spiral, the scent of water came to her and she canted her wings to turn towards a stream that she knew from her explorations was nearby. A few moments later she cupped her black and grey wings and landed gently on the grass beside the merrily burbling mountain brook.

After a long drink of the sweet - and cold! - water, Wambli began the walk up the narrow path to the place where her rainbow stones lay. She had seen them from the air the first time, but the place where they were was much too narrow for her to land in. It hadn't taken long for the determined mare to find them once she was on the ground though! Talker was so surprised when I brought the first one home! she laughed to herself, the low sound echoing softly off the stone walls that had risen up around her. She has that one hanging on the front of the teepee for everyone to see. I hope I can find some nice ones today. I want to find a really pretty one for Jewel!

She focused her attention on the trail - the last bit of path was rather rocky and a bit of a scramble. The first few times she had taken this journey she had returned with scrapes, much to the dismay of Anpo, who had immediatly gotten healing salve from the shaman for her winged friend. Wambli was so intent on watching her step that she wasn't watching to see what - or who - might also be in the rainbow stone place.
The sound of a large hoof stamping down on a piece of rock soon brought her attention to what she had missed.

"Who are you!" a deep voice demanded of her. Wide eyed, Wambli looked up at the dark from of a stallion standing in what had, until now at least, been her private and special place. His coat was coal black except for a patterning like snow and ivy leaves of white that covered his hindquarters. It was his mane and tail that surprised her the most though, for they were the colors of the very crystals that lay at their feet - a mixed rainbow that shimmered as he moved.

"I am Wambli Zikala, sir," she said after a moment, ducking her head in greeting to him. "I come from the lands surrounding the Kawani village south of here. Are these your rainbow pieces? I think they are beautiful! Who are you, if I may ask? Do you have a herd near here?" As always, Wambli's innate friendliness and curiosity would not let her be daunted.

The stranger stood and watched her in silence for a long moment. Just when she thought he would never answer, he reared and screamed at the sky. Landing on all fours again he stamped at the ground three times then chanted:

Running over rock pastures
Under an autumn moon,
I stand on cliff's that peak at cloud's point,
I stand under winter's pale sun
And under the rains of spring
I am the Dancer!
And the scent of wild thyme floats from my mane!

When he had finished he looked at her again in silence, almost as if he was waiting to see what her reaction would be.

Wambli stared at him in return, and it was if she could suddenly see through him, past the image he was trying to show her to who he truely was. Perhaps it was Ina Makan moving through her at that moment. Perhaps it was just her own wisdom.

"Dancer, what happened to your herd?" she asked in a quiet voice.

And the proud form before her crumbled, fell to his knees on the hard rocks and in an anguished voice replied. "They are gone." With those words he collapsed into himself in grief so evident Wambli could not help herself but to step forward and touch her muzzle to his shoulder in comfort. A long silence again followed broken only by the sound of his labored breathing. "There was an avalanche," he said at last. "I was on patrol and when I returned the valley was full of stone and snow. I found no suvivors. No sign that any I loved made it out. Nothing but the cold stone mocking me and my life. I cried out to Equus, to Ina Maka, to Wanka Takan... to any of the spirits to take me as well... but was told my time was not yet come." He looked up at her, blue eyes piercing in the sunlight.

"I came here because I remembered this place from my youth. My sire brought me here once and said there were other soquili further down the mountain on the other side. I hoped..." and he faltered here, "I hoped to find a herd to join so I wouldn't have to be alone."

Wambli whinnied reassuringly at him, then stepped back to give him some room. "Dancer, there are many of us living near the village. Wild soquili like yourself and my mate, and others who live with the two-footers like my Talker. Come with me! You can at least stay with us for a little while." She rustled her wings a little and flicked her ears forward at him.

"I know you would be welcome there," she smiled at him, imagining some of the younger mares' reactions at seeing such a striking stallion. "Please, come back with me." She wasn't sure why she was so certain he needed to return with her. It was just a feeling she had. There was something that was needed, or that he needed.... all that she knew was that Dancer should return with her to the area of the village.

"I... I..." for a moment Dancer thought to refuse the offer, but the soft wind that suddenly arose seemed to whisper Go with her, beloved in a familiar voice now lost to him. "I will go with you," he said as a single tear fell. With a heave he stood to his feet, shaking the stone dust from his coat. "Lead the way, brave mare. Let me see where this new life of mine will begin."

PostPosted: Sat Jun 03, 2006 7:56 pm
Harperking
User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.
Dancer walked slowly along the stream bank, his head down. He was following a set of rabbit tracks as they crossed and patterned throught the moist earth near the water, facinated by the weaving pattern they made. It was only when the maker of the tracks popped up right in front of his nose that he stopped, realizing just how odd he must have looked to anyone who might have seen.

Dark Fire Angel

However, Dancer was not to find a rabbit, at least not yet; were he to look ahead he'd have seen quite a sight, for there up ahead stood a large kalona stallion, wings spread and yet... eyes were set upon the clear waters as he moved his frame this way and that, almost as if posing for someone even if no one was truly there to see.

Flowers adorned various parts of his long mane and strange tail, and tell truth, the male seemed to be admiring himself, being much too into the whole feat to really even truly notice Dancer. Lowering his head, he took a moment to take a good look at the flower that adorned the top of his head, near his horns, idly wondering if it made him look less dangerous; after all, Shinzu had time and time again wondered why he'd been born with such looks that matched not his own personality. Tell truth, the kalona stallion would've no doubt have rather to 'prance' around a flower bed than set havoc and chaos around any of the two leggers. In fact he'd found he rather liked the two leggers, amusingly enough.... specially his own.

It took him a few more minutes to notice the other stallion, however, when he did, Shinzu raised his head up, taking a step back from the water, looking about ready to flee for cover anywhere he deemed a good place to. Interesting attitude for a kalona to take, no doubt.

Harperking
A shadow fell across the tracks, and the appaloosa stallion looked up to see what had caused it. His eyes widened in surprise at the sight before him and he neighed in alarm, quickly stepping back into the stream. A kalona stallion! Such were to be feared!

"Greetings," he said stiffly, alert and ready to move in case of attack. Although...closer look revealed..flowers? decorating the strangers mane? "How fare you this day, kalona?"

Dark Fire Angel
Another step back was taken as the male's eyes widened at the neigh, a snort escaping his nostrils as he shook his head slightly; all in all, it must've been amusing for an onlooker to watch, for both stallions seemed stiffly frightened of the other for obvious reasons (or at least, Shinzu thought his own reason to fear Dancer was perfectly obvious and valid at any rate).

Ears swiftly settled back, head lowering ever so slowly as his tail flicked from side to side, brows knitting to form a small frown, "I rather be address by my name... not my species, them and I... we are not alike," another step back was taken, his rump touching the bark of a tree and thus offering no more space to take further steps back. Turning his head to offer the tree a faint glare, Shinzu frowned deeper, but it was obvious the stallion meant no harm; if such a thing were not obvious by his body language it was no doubt clear by the small neighs he released now and then, no doubt by now further more confused and intimidated than the rainbow appaloosa was, "This Kalona's name is Shinzu..." the words were breathed quietly, though not silently enough for Dancer to not hear, words seemingly almost melodic, and icy touch to them, "And it's day .... was fairing quite well."

The flowers his two legger had given him had indeed made his day ten times better; as far as Shinzu knew, his metaphorical sun was 'smiling'. Or had been till he'd been interrupted, "I mean no harm..."

Harperking
Dancer's muscles relaxed a little as he saw the blue creature backing away from him. His ears flicked forward to catch the softly spoken words and he couldn't suppress a snort of surprise at the tone of them. They were not at all the harsh sounds he had come to expect from this species!

Lowering his head from the alert battle stance, he stepped forward softly, his rainbowed tail switching ever so slightly from side to side.
"I meant no disrespect, Shinzu. It is just that I have met with nothing but pain from your kind before." If there was a hint of sorrow in his voice it would be but a little, and only noticable to someone who would truley be listening beyond the words he spoke.

"I am Dancer, new come to these lands from the mountain herds."

Dark Fire Angel
A long pause ensued as the Kalona's eyes clouded, no doubt deep in thought; in fact, right now all that seemed to be passing through Shinzu's mind was how... to impress the other male, however, he failed to really think of anything. A brow arched slightly, delicately, his movements not matching those of any male, but rather... almost skittish, female-ish in a way, "I... am just Shinzu," he said softly as he looked up again, "I live here," or rather, he lived nearby, but 'here' was just as fine as well.

As the other neared him, the Kalona moved not, nor forther nor back, what with the stupid tree that was blocking his way; never did it occurr to him that he could've easily sidestepped it... after all, most of his mind was focusing in a lame, pathetic attempt at that thing.... Ryuki called 'socialising'. A shudder ran through his large frame at the notion; ugh, socialising was just... scary, it was a wonder how the petite unicorn managed to do it so easily; but then again, the Kalona figured, the fact she was insane might've helped.

"I am me, I am not my kind..." still his words were soft, however, his eyes were set upon the other male's; no harshness was held within the pale purple orbs, but rather, rather the opposite, warmth, almost mellow, and the flowers that adorned his body quite helped too, "I have come to... not judge others by what they look; my two legger had a nice saying about that, but I'm afraid it's slipped my mind..." not only had he given away that he lived with one by now, but that he actually enjoyed it; odd to say the least, specially for one of his kind.

If Shinzu had noticed the pity he either took no notice of it or pushed it aside, for all what he did was offer the other a small shy smile as he came near, "We're all different," a pause, "I like your mane and tail..."

Harperking
"Two-legger? I have heard of those but now seen them yet. Wambli, the winged one who led me here has one that she spoke of as well. ARe they all that different from us then?" Dancer relaxed further as the other stallion offered him no harm. It was still...odd... to see one with such a fierce countenance with flowers and smiles instead of blood and snarls as he was accustomed to. But Dancer was learning that the way of the world was that in order to live one must adapt and bend with the flows of life or else one would break with the strain of trying to stand against the tides. The loss of his family and home was enough of a lesson in that for him. Learning to treat the appearance of an enemy as a friend was far easier.

Turning slightly to the side, offering shoulder instead of head on forward - a far less threatening stance and an outward sign of his new resolve to not let his warrior instict override his heart - Dancer nodded his head in reply.
"And yes, we are all different, Shinzu. The Spirits made us that way - otherwise it would be boring here on this earth indeed!" Dancer laughed.

Dark Fire Angel
The kalona seemed to frown, yet again deep in thought, head tilting to one side if ever slightly, "I... don't know, really; I only know few of them, and... I figure they are different from in the same way we are different from them. They are also different from one another just like we are different from one another," his words might've seemed like a riddle, however, for Shinzu they were but pure logic; he'd always liked talking over fighting anyhow at any rate after all... however warped and strange his logic might've been, "They are different the way the Rabbits differ from us... though I've never figured out how they manage to walk without falling," again he frowned, looking actually and honestly confused, "I can't imagine walking on two legs, and yet they do it rather well."

An ear flickered as the stallion slowly took a step forth upon the other stallion's opening, his rump finally away from the tree, which was met with a distinct sigh of relief, as believe it or not... his previous pose had not quite been all that comfortable at all, "Ah..."Shinzu said softly as he walked past Dancer, his eyes upon the water, the motion indicating he no longer felt intimidated and was in fact opening up if slightly to the rainbow appaloosa, "The spirits are very wise to do so," he lowered his head again, taking a closer look at his flower, pondering he should somehow indicate his two legger that perhaps she should move it a bit forth later. Of course, the idea of getting her to understand just what he wanted would prove to be a nightmare. It was a wonder how she managed to talk to so much and listen so little; two leggers were strange that way.

Again he turned to the other and offered him a deeper smile, "Far from boring," he said, "This earth we tread on is full of..." a pause as he seemed to ponder the right word, "Wonders for those that look for them."

Harperking
Dancer paused as he worked his way through the riddle of the kalona's words, smiling as he did so.
"Indeed there are many wonders," he said in return. "There is a pass through the mountains where the stones pick up all the colors you can imagine. It looks as if you walk through a very rainbow itself. And look, over here," dancer walked back to where he had been following the rabbit's tracks. "Even the little furred ones can make beauty in their passing."

Dark Fire Angel
It was no real riddle, or at least... Shinzu didn't think it was; but then again, the Kalona share teepee with a rather insane lithe unicorn whom liked both talking in riddles and confusing others, her cheshire-ish nature showing through and perhaps rubbing off on the male if only minimally, "Wonders indeed... I wonder if this flower would not look better up front..." the last few words were breathed, barely audible as the Kalona returned to looking himself in the water, however, Dancer's voice soon grasped his attention and slowly his head lifted from the water in order to glance at him.

Rocks with colors? Rainbow? Really?

Now see, that was something Shinzu would've given his right horn to see and there was little he could do to keep his ears from perking up with interest as he slowly padded after the other male to stare at the tracks, "Tell truth.... very much interested in those rainbows you speak of..." his eyes lifted from the earth, his head arching up only to tilt slightly, a silent question asked within his eyes.

Take me there?

Then again, of course... even Shinzu knew that might not be quite possible at all.

Harperking
"It is the truth. There are so many colors there! I use to go there and just watch them as they changed with the light." Dancer looked at the blue hued stallion with a smile. "I could take you there if you like. It's about a day's journey walking, though if you fly you could get there faster."

Harperking

Harperking

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2006 2:37 pm
~ Strangers Arrive!! ~

Gliding high above the forest, Wambli saw the smoke on the beach. The dark oily color was wrong, and the acrid smell that drifted to her on the winds coated the mare's throat. Shaking her head in disgust, the dark mare decided she had to find out what it was that so fouled the skies that she loved.
Wheeling wetsward, she flew towards the beach where the smoke seemed to come from. As she flew across the plains she was joined by a flock of geese, fat from spring foraging.
"Hau, brothers!" she called to them, laughing as they wove and ducked around her, making a game of the flight they all enjoyed. As she drew closer, the scent of burning grew stronger and she could hear snatches of voices on the wind, speaking in a language totally inknown to her. She flew lower, trying to see a little better - were those soquili down there with soem sort of pack on them...
Her curiosity was suddenly shattered by the sound of an explosion and a strangled honk. The goose nearest to her began falling, and the thick hot copper smell of blood filled the air. In near panic Wambli began to quicken her wingbeats, strong movements taking her higher and higher until the men below were mere specks on the ground.
"The others must know of this!" she thought and she quickly turned and began her flight back to the home village.
Behind her, there was much excitement and astonishment among the newcomers over the beast.. or was it a demon.. that they had seen.

Anpo sat in her favorite tree, the one that overlooked the meadows where many of the soquili that lived in and around the village grazed. As she watched the foals frisking beside their mothers, she thought back over what had happened over the last several days.

Newcomers. Normally an event of joy in the village, but this bunch seemed to be something different. Everyone was rushing around and was treating them with such fear and anger! It was somewhat confusing to the Sioux woman - what was so different about the color of skin that would make the Kawani act so? Were they not still children of the earth and sky?

Wambli had come back to the teepee the other day with an acrid smell surrounding her and a fine spriay of blood on one shoulder. Anpo had been concerned but when she cleaned the mare the blood was not hers. The mare had been frightened but unharmed, and Anpo wished she could have talked to find out what had happened!

The villagers were talking of demons and magic boomsticks that killed from distance. She had seen the boomsticks before on the long trade she had taken with her Ate and knew they were not a demon magic but some sort of...thing... the pale ones had. Her Ate himself had even made one boom! They were indeed dangerous.

Surely not everyone in the new group would be trouble. There had to be someone who would listen. The warrior had seen battle before, and knew that it was not something that she wanted to see here.

"There has to be a way to peace," she said out loud, startling a nearby squirrel. "I remember some of the words I learned on the long trade. Perhaps if I go an watch them I can find out who among the newcomers will be willing to listen so that our peoples will not destroy each other."

No sooner had Anpo made her decision to talk to the chief about peace, than she heard the thunder of the boomstick coming from the direction of the village! With a muffled oath the Sioux woman grabbed her carrysack and scrambled down from her tree perch. Once on the ground she began running for the village as fast as she could, praying to Wanka Tanaka that her fears had not come to pass.
A whinny overhead caught her attention and a shadow fell over her as she ran. Within moments, Wambli was trotting alongside her and it was obvious the wind mare was worried as well. "Let me borrow your wings, windsib!" Anpo cried out and as soon as Wambli nodded her agreement the warrior swung to her back. Two strides later and they were in flight, hurrying towards the village.
The sight of the pale strangers and their horses was not unexpected. "Circle first, I want to see how many there are," Anpo asked and Wambli obliged. Then the dark mare landed and Anpo slipped off her back and the two walked together to the edge of the gathered crowd.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2006 2:41 pm
TormentedAngie
James Boyd and his companion were lagging a bit behind the others, as they made their way off the ship. James had a good excuse, the entire ride was miserable for the poor young man. All the tossing and turning, lurching and flailing they did in rough seas along the way, kept him hostage to his stomach as time and again he lurched to a bucket or to lean over the side to heave it's contents out of his body. Needless to say, as they'd landed, James had been MORE than glad to see the shoreline again. However, he'd lagged behind the rest to tend to his mount, and to let the queasy feelings pass.

Now, however he was feeling much better, and gently guiding his companion along with him as he navigated the tracks left by his fellow settlers who'd gone before.

The mare shied as she flared her nostrils, gathering in the scents that lay before her. Her eyes were wide, and her steps were almost as if they were spring loaded, but calm she stayed under the gentle experienced fingers of her master. Her smoken body glistened under a light sheet of sweat, which had formed as she had been taken off the ship. She was not sure of this place, and could feel the slight tension in James' body as he kept a firm yet easy hold upon her bridle. It wasn't likely that she would bolt, but at this point, everything was new to them both. Manovia would keep James safe at all costs, even if that meant bolting with him still attached.

Harperking
Wambli nickered, drawing Anpo's attention away from the gathered group in front of them. The mare was staring down the path the newcomers had come from. Anpo watched it carefully - was there another stranger on the way?

TormentedAngie

Still springy in action, the young mare pricked her ears up, her body still taught, waiting to launch at the slightest sign of danger. Beside her, her two-legger was equally as alert, or trying to be at least. Sniffing the air, Manovia caught sent of other creatures like her, but different. Not like the ones she'd traveled with. Sure, those were there as well, but who were these others who's scents were so strange and foreign to her?

James had neither the sensitive senses Manovia had, nor the keen instincts she had. While he was nervous, a sense of adventure had overcome him. A feeling of wanting to know everything about this place and the surprises it held washed over him. His pace quickened only slightly as he peered ahead for his comrades, hoping he hadn't missed anything exciting due to his extended stay upon the ship.

Harperking

Quietly walking down the path, Anpo motioned for Wambli to follow along. She knew th winged mare's senses were stronger than her own and that the soquili would also be able to help in case there was need to fight. What she saw stopped her in surprise.

There was a strange soquili and a pale faced stranger coming towards them!

TormentedAngie
As the winged soquili's two-legger came into sight, Manovia's reaction was quite similar. A dead stop from the prancing gait she'd moved in, the mare's head raised up in alarm. To alert James in case he wasn't looking, the grulla mare threw her head up a few times, nearly pulling the reins out of his hands. Her blue flecked brown eyes stared at the strange human-like creature, as shuffled her feet in a little crab-step dance. She could smell another horse like herself nearby, although her eyes were on the human only.

It was probably a good thing that 'Via had tossed her head a few times, because James hadn't been looking in the general direction of the others ahead of them on the path. Perhaps a squirrel or something caught his eye moment's before. But as he felt the reins sliding through his hands, it was all he could do to keep himself from losing hold of his companion. "Ho there!" It was the first words he'd spoken thus far. While Manovia was normally a playful creature, there were times he trusted her judgement more-so than his own. To see that she was alarmed brought himself into a defensive position as he tried to calm her. His storm grey eyes glanced Anpo over, trying to discern whether she was a threat or not.

Harperking
Anpo raised her hands away from her sides, showing they were empty of weapons. She dug through her memories, trying to bring back the words her Ate had used with the traders so long ago. After a long moment of staring at the strangly garbed man - he was wearing so much! - she remembered some of the words.
"Peeese" she said slowly, then touched her hand to her chest. "Wi Ile Anpo" Gesturing to him she waited to hear his name.

Wambli was curious as always about the new soquili. She pushed up past Anpo, stopping a few paces away from the two strangers.
"Hello!" she said, "What do you have on your back?" she asked, ruffling hr wings a little as she spoke.

TormentedAngie
James blinked, rather surprised at the actions of the girl in front of him. Sign language is the language understood throughout the world, and her gestures were not lost on him. His mount refused to get closer just yet, keeping her eye on the female two-legger with caution. Holding onto 'Via's reins, and pulling his hat off his head, as he was in the presense of a lady, James pointed to Anpo and tried to imitate her. "Wi Le Anpo." Well, he sorta got it right, anyway. Close enough, right? Gesturing to himself, the young man blurted out "James Christopher Boyd." Smooth move, James, just blurt it out, not taking care to make it easier for her to understand. Again he pointed to himself, and said "James." That should be easier for her to say, at least, he thought so anyway.

As Wambli pushed past her caretaker, Manovia shied again, not sure WHAT to think of the strange apparatus' on the other mare's back. Nosing the sky, the grulla mare eyed the other female up before calming down slightly, determining that the wings weren't going to hurt her after all. "This? It's a saddle." Turning her head, Manovia nibbled at the stirrup at her side slightly. "He," she gestured to James by nosing his hat that he held by her face, "rides in it when he wants to go somewhere. What are those?" 'Via's eyes were rivited to the feathery appendages on Wambli.

Harperking

Harperking

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2006 2:54 pm
Harperking
Anpo tilted her head, trying to catch the strange syllables the man said. When he repeated the first set after pointing to himself, she smiled.
"Jayms," she repeated smiling at him. Pointing to Wambli, then to his mount, she said "soquili....horse" Hopefully he would understand she was trying to get some reference for them! Perhaps if she could communicate with him, they could avoide bloodshed with their peoples.

"What are what? My wings?" Wambli opened them a little to show that they were part of her. "I was born with them since I am a wind soquili.Wanka Tanaka gave them to me so I can fly!"
Shifting back to her curiosty, Wambli rambled on not realizing that the new mare may not have seen wings on a soquili before.
"I am Wambli Zikala, and that is Anpo my two-legger. We live here in the village. Are you going to live here too?"

TormentedAngie
James wasn't entirely the brightest crayon in the box, but this was certainly a refreshing change from that which he'd left behind. Willing to make a good impression, the young man nodded, his brownish hair bobbing in the slight breeze. Seeing her point to the animals, James tried to repeat the word she said first. "Sokilee?" Of course, it'd taken till that moment to see that the girl's own soquili had wings. All he could do was stand and gawk, after that. Never had he SEEN such a creature before!

"Wings? I've never seen one of us with wings before!" Which, of course, would have confirmed Wambli's suspicions. Whickering softly at her master, Manovia bowed her head in greeting. "I am Manovia, and this is James, my master." Wambli's question of whether they were going to live there or not escaped her. She honestly didn't know. "I'm....not sure, actually. James hasn't said anything about the duration of this trip."

"What about you? What's it like here?" She wasn't quite sure what to ask, but she wanted to know as much about this new land as James did, ti seemed.

((O.o you didn't lose paleface soquili. me 'n Aris are still rping. o.O And Freo too XD Btw congrats Freo <3

I just had to fix something on my computer before I could post again. It likes arguing with me these days XD))

Harperking
What was wrong with him? Anpo thought things were going well, then this "Jayms" had simply stopped and started staring at Wambli. Was something wrong? She turned to look at her friend, who seemed to be having a nice time getting to know his soquili - who was wearing some strange thing on her back.

"Really? There are others here with wings." Wambli noticed the humans and the odd reaction the pale one was having. "Is your human ok?" she asked with some concern, walking over to him to see for herself.

TormentedAngie

Manovia tilted her head slightly, puzzled as she looked at James in response to Wambli's question. It was then that it instantly clicked with her, why James was awestruck. "AH! Like me, he's never seen one of us with wings before. I imagine it's more of a shock to him, than it is to me. He takes a while for things to sink in, mostly." Nuzzling the young man's head, she tried to wake him up from his stupor.

James came to himself just in time, as Manovia nudged him. Although Anpo wouldn't understand what he said, to try and explain to himself what he just saw, he started to ramble. "Oh, I'm sorry, didn't realize I was staring. Yes, quite rude to stare, I should make it a point not to do that. But it's not every day a person sees a horse with wings. This new land is quite strange I just don't know what to make of it." Pausing, the pale man pointed to Wambli's feathers, and tried to sort out some kind of response that could be understood. "Wings. These... are... wings." Pointing to Manovia's lack there of, he raised his hands in a questioning gesture, as if to ask Anpo how she'd come upon a winged soquili.

Harperking

Anpo looked from James to Wambli to the new mare and back again. What was the matter with him? Then suddenly it became clear. The wings! Obviously wind soquili were as revered among his people as they were among hers!

Smiling broadly she nodded at him and motioned for Wambli to come closer.

TormentedAngie

Well, it wasn't that they were revered so much as he had NEVER seen such a sight. Ever. And of course, it took a lot of Manovia's nudging to get him to stop STARING at the poor winged soquili. "Ahem, I'm sorry, I just never have seen such a magnificent creature in all my years...." For that comment, he was rewarded with a sharp n**. "Aii Manovia, you're the prettiest of them all, I promise." It didn't occur to him that he was rambling off on a tangent and Anpo probably wouldn't understand, or be able to keep up for that matter. Turning back to the indian girl, he pointed to Manovia's back, with the saddle, then at Wambli, his slightly deep timbred voice slowly saying the words he was thinking. "Ride? Do you...ride?" If the creature had wings, surely it would be able to fly, and that posed the idea of possibly riding the creature. Flying. A novel idea to him, but he HAD to find out.

Manovia snorted after she had nipped James, slightly miffed at his compliment to Wambli. Though she had to agree, the soquili with wings was a very pretty one, and very friendly at that. While she had never had much of a chance to get to know her fellow shipmates, she hadn't thought of the fact that others would be in this new land they were in. 'Via pawed at the ground, thinking similar thoughts to James. "Does your master ride you? Like mine rides me around?"

Harperking
Once more Anpo was lost in the melange of words from James. As she was always happy to show off her beloved windsib, she hugged Wambli and walked her closer to the duo.
"They seem nice enough, don't they Wambli" she said to the mare. "If only I remembered more of the words!" Thinking back through her memories she tried regain more of his language.

"Master? I don't know what that means. But Anpo does get to ride sometimes. She likes it and I enjoy letting her, though I don't fly very high when she is with me. I'm always afraid she will fall off!" Wambli laughed. "Would you like to see? I can't take off from here but the village clearing is not far dwon the path"

TormentedAngie
The mare bobbed her head, her headgear jingling merrily at the action. As she shifted her weight, her breast collar jingled along with everything else, a rather pleasing sound to the ears. "I'd love to see. It'd be a rare treat, I assure you." Tugging on James' shirt Manovia tried to get him to come along, even before he got the picture himself.

James smiled as the pair moved closer, his stormy eyes taking in the beauty of the horse before him. For some reason, she reminded him of a bird, the way her colors blended off into each other. Never had he seen such coloring before either. His thought process, however, was cut short as he was tugged along by his own mount, her tack bringing him back to himself. Getting Manovia's hint, he gathered up the reins, prepared to swing himself into the saddle if needbe. His hand slowly reached out, palmside up, towards Wambli and Anpo, aiming towards Wambli's nose. It was the universal gesture of friendship and peace in the human/animal world. At least, he thought it was the universal gesture. It never occured to him that these soquili might be wild animals, choosing to live beside their humans as they wish, but having a complete mind of their own. Then too, he probably didn't realize that while he thought of Manovia as his, that it might actually be her that owned him in this relationship...

Harperking

Wambli shied just a bit at the approaching hand, but then reached her soft nose out to whuffle at his fingers. Not finding any treat there she decided to instead show them her flight.
"Come with us then!" she called to the other mare. Turning to Anpo Wambli grabbed her by the sleeve and tugged gently in the direction of the village, then knelt, making it quite clear that the Sioux was to mount.

When James reached out to touch Wambli, Anpo tensed - what was he doing? But when the soquili just gave him the equivelant of a curious nibble she relaxed. Wambli's next move was a bit more of a surprise.
"Where are we going, windsib?" she asked in the fluid language of her people as she carefully climbed onto the mare's back and settled her legs under the great wings. A whicker and a slow walk back towards th village was the reply.

TormentedAngie
Manovia eyed James' actions as well, but tossed her head as Wambli called to her. With a nose into her human's shoulder, she poised herself, hind legs gathered and ready to launch, front legs poised to leap forward the moment he was in the saddle.

James knew 'Via's hint and swung himself lightly into the saddle, holding her back before she could dive forward. "Easy girl. No races just yet, alright?" Watching the indian girl, he couldn't help but admire the seemly fluid connection between horse and owner. The fact that such a creature allowed a human to ride her was even more stunning. These people truly were something to behold, it seemed. More so than the life he'd come from, anyway. Clicking his tongue once, he urged Manovia forward letting her catch up to Wambli's flank before holding her at the pace set for them by the other pair.

Harperking
"What are you up to, Wambli?" Anpo whispered as they walked towards the end of the path. The mare whickered softly - almost a laughing sound. As soon as they cleared the last of the trees Wambli turned and faced james and Monovia.

"Watch!" she whinnied and broke into a gallop. Anpo just had time to grab hold of her mane when with a great leap the mare was airborn. Massive wingbeats filled the air as she gained height, joyfully showing off just a little for her new friends. After circling the meadw twice Wambli came to a gliding stop, trotting back to where she had started from, a laughing Anpo still on her back.

TormentedAngie
Manovia's eyes went wide as she watched Wambli take flight, never once doubting the mare could do it, but simply as awestruck as James undoubtly was. Pawing the ground, the grulla mare hopped on her front legs, letting them leave the ground every once in a while to paw the air. Her own hind legs were gathered underneath of her again as she wanted to bolt and run underneath of Wambli's flight. But she was expertly held in place by her master as he watched the flight. As Wambli landed, Manovia broke free from James' reined in hold and trotted to her newfound friend. "That was incredible! Those wings must be really strong to carry you and your friend around. I can't imagine what it must be like!"

James was speechless. He too couldn't even begin to imagine the power behind those wings. While his voice was silenced, his eyes said volumes, the excited twinkles they held brighter than any words he could've said.

Manovia pawed at Wambli, then glanced off ahead of them. "You're great at flying! But, can you run?" The mare crowhopped slightly, anxious to get some of this pent up energy out of her. Weeks upon a boat with nowhere to run is no way to live. She needed to use muscles that had been dormant for some time now. A good run would do her, and James a WORLD of good.

Harperking

"I worked a long time to be strong enough to fly," Wambli admitted. "And I love to run, but I fly faster!" she added with a laugh. "Do you run? Does all the stuff you wear slow you down?"

Anpo smiled at the look on James' face. She knew that feeling - she had had it herself the first time she had seen Wambli in full flight. Determined to garner more language, she called out to him. "James, Wambli" and she patted the mare's neck " fly!" and she made flapping motions with her arms.

TormentedAngie
James nodded, laughing as Anpo flapped her arms and said 'fly'. "Yes! Yes! Wambli," he stumbled slightly over the name, "can fly!" Patting his own mount's neck, he tried to introduce her to Anpo. "Manovia!" Pointing to the mare, he repeated the name. "Manovia, run!" And he made a running sign with his fingers, running them along his other hand.

'Via tossed her head, allowing her tack to jingle merrily. "Not really. It mostly keeps him from falling off, when jumping over things, or running really fast. He thinks it helps communicate where he wants to go as well." Her ears perked up at the sound of the word run. Oh she knew what that meant, but she waited. "My name's Manovia, like he said. You wanna race?"

Harperking
"Fly!" Anpo repeated in his language then "Run" first in English and then in hers. "Manovia no fly, run!" she slowly said in English hoping she had it right. Then with a burst of memory, "Manovia, run now Wambli?"

"Race? Yes! And I could see where that stuff would be handy. Anpo holds on with her legs and her hands in my mane. Sometimes she puts a hide or blanket on my back if we're going for a long ride. She usually walks though." Hopping on her front legs a little to warn Anpo she was about to take off in motion, Wambli tensed, ready to run. "Shall we go to the rnd of the meadow & back?"

TormentedAngie
James nodded, feeling his companion's excitement beneath his legs. "Yes! Manovia run with Wambli!" Easing himself into position, knees bent, seat poised, reins loose, James patted the sweat dampened neck.

The grulla mare's eyes blazed in excitement. "End of the meadow and back it is!" With a leap, 'Via was given her head and bolted, legs pounding like pistons against the ground, gaining speed with every stride. Her mane and tail streamed out behind her, the former whipping at James' cheeks and all but blinding him. Letting out a shrill whinney, the mare called to her running companion, listening for the sounds that she was being followed.

Harperking

An answering whinny came from the dark wind soquili, followed by a wild whoop from the human on her back. A thunder of hooves echoed down the meadow as the two mares raced, Wambli just behind Manovia the whole way. When they came to the stream that marked the meadow's edge Wambli came to a rearing halt her joyous cry ringing out across the grasses.

"You are fast - and that was fun!" she said in delight!

TormentedAngie
Manovia's halt was accompanied by a soft buck, kicking her heels up at the sky. It was almost as if she'd forgotten James was upon her back still. Thankfully he'd managed to hold on, laughing as he tried to soothe her calm so that he didn't lose his seat and end up a pile of embarassment upon the ground.

-------------

It seemed that for the rest of the day, they were inseperable, the two equines chatted away about their homes, standing side by side as their masters worked on each other's languages. A pair of friendships were born, ones that would hopefully last as the settler and his mount both began to think that going home might never appeal to them. With such friendly friends here, who would want to go home?

Teepees

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 6 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff