• That One Hero 500
  • Planetary Technician 150
PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2007 7:09 pm
Steven Hawkings
AstronomyGirl
Steven Hawkings
AstronomyGirl
Steven Hawkings
true, does not mean the wonder the galaxy at the present time we know little of were they are other than the center of the galaxies.

True that is it possible that a black hole could end up coming near us in it's orbit around the center of the galaxy, but then we don't' see any big stars that could form one, or any evidence of a black hole anywhere near us, let alone moving towards us to really have to worry about that happening.
No we don't since we are two thirds the way out and most mass is in the center, and most stars larger than us is most likely near the center. O on the other side, or out of our spectrum view. Though this is just another thing to solve or should I say on going.

mhm. Right now there are more pressing things to look out for, like asteroids or comets that may hit us. It's more likely of something like that comming along.
And that's ignoring all the human caused things. What's worring about black holes and asteroids when we might someday blow ourselves off the face of the earth in some nuclear war. rolleyes
I think over population
is the threat at hand, to many people means massive die offs. I hate what the government for treating near Earth objects as jokes, though I expect that from lazy congressmen.

agreed.  
PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2007 5:16 pm
AstronomyGirl
Steven Hawkings
AstronomyGirl
Steven Hawkings
AstronomyGirl
Steven Hawkings
true, does not mean the wonder the galaxy at the present time we know little of were they are other than the center of the galaxies.

True that is it possible that a black hole could end up coming near us in it's orbit around the center of the galaxy, but then we don't' see any big stars that could form one, or any evidence of a black hole anywhere near us, let alone moving towards us to really have to worry about that happening.
No we don't since we are two thirds the way out and most mass is in the center, and most stars larger than us is most likely near the center. O on the other side, or out of our spectrum view. Though this is just another thing to solve or should I say on going.

mhm. Right now there are more pressing things to look out for, like asteroids or comets that may hit us. It's more likely of something like that comming along.
And that's ignoring all the human caused things. What's worring about black holes and asteroids when we might someday blow ourselves off the face of the earth in some nuclear war. rolleyes
I think over population
is the threat at hand, to many people means massive die offs. I hate what the government for treating near Earth objects as jokes, though I expect that from lazy congressmen.

agreed.
I love it how the senator from Wisconsin back in 1993 called SETI a giggle factor and helped cut all funds for it, and slashed NASA by five billion and its still shirking.  

UF6

AstronomyGirl

Planetary Astronomer

57,900 Points
  • Conventioneer 300
  • That One Hero 500
PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2007 2:08 pm
Steven Hawkings
AstronomyGirl
Steven Hawkings
AstronomyGirl
Steven Hawkings

I think over population

agreed.
I love it how the senator from Wisconsin back in 1993 called SETI a giggle factor and helped cut all funds for it, and slashed NASA by five billion and its still shirking.

oh, dont' get me started on NASA shinking. razz I'm so angry that they cut so many of these missions to other planets in our colar system to send people to the moon and someday mars. Arg. stare ok true that sending people to the moon and mars woudl be good for us and help us move ahead in science, but then we could learn SOOO Much more with all these other missions that were cancelled or delayed. arg... like I said don't get me started. blaugh  
PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2007 3:54 pm
AstronomyGirl
Steven Hawkings
AstronomyGirl
Steven Hawkings
AstronomyGirl
Steven Hawkings

I think over population

agreed.

oh, dont' get me started on NASA shinking. razz I'm so angry that they cut so many of these missions to other planets in our colar system to send people to the moon and someday mars. Arg. stare ok true that sending people to the moon and mars woudl be good for us and help us move ahead in science, but then we could learn SOOO Much more with all these other missions that were cancelled or delayed. arg... like I said don't get me started. blaugh
If you ever get a chance to read about Faint Echoes, Distance Stars:politics and Science of Finding Intelligent Life. It's worth a look, and you will be sick at what polticans have been doing to NASA. They want to cut Ames resurch center, when its the leading resurch center for astrobiology, and has teams present on the two Mars rovers at this time, and they are expanding so fast in the field for the better it would be stupid to do away with it. The government thinks of NASA altogether as pork, well I think there two million dollar pay checks they raise every year is pork. Bush is not helping then again not since JFK did things get done on time and under budget.Though they sound serious about the moon now, though it coasted six trillion to get to the moon before.  

UF6

Corvius

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2007 5:21 pm
"I've done so many projects on Black Holes and such that I can handle most questions. Such as this one, many Stars that have NOT collasped yet, are considered Black Holes because even though they have not collasped, they are SO MASSIVE that their OWN light can't escape. talk about hiding Stars!"...  
PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2007 8:22 pm
Red 5
"I've done so many projects on Black Holes and such that I can handle most questions. Such as this one, many Stars that have NOT collasped yet, are considered Black Holes because even though they have not collasped, they are SO MASSIVE that their OWN light can't escape. talk about hiding Stars!"...

uhh.... no tha'ts not possible. Any star bigger then 100 solar masses breaks apart into smaller stars. Even at 100 solar masses light can easily escape. Only black holes, collapsed stars, have the escape velosity high enough for that to happen. No real physical star can also be a black hole.  

AstronomyGirl

Planetary Astronomer

57,900 Points
  • Conventioneer 300
  • That One Hero 500

Corvius

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2007 8:30 pm
AstronomyGirl
Red 5

uhh.... no tha'ts not possible. Any star bigger then 100 solar masses breaks apart into smaller stars. Even at 100 solar masses light can easily escape. Only black holes, collapsed stars, have the escape velosity high enough for that to happen. No real physical star can also be a black hole.

"I'll get you the article... if I can find it"...  
PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2007 8:51 pm
AstronomyGirl
Red 5

"Population III size stars are said to have been over several hundred sloar masses. Therefore, a star CAN be over 100 solar masses, which would tend to support my claim. I am still looking for the site, though"...  

Corvius

UF6

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2007 9:06 pm
AstronomyGirl
Red 5

Red I would like to see the site also and AstronomyGirl do you have a site on yours I'm interested inn this on both sides of the matter.  
PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2007 9:11 pm
Quote:
The upshot of all this talk is that space can be curved by massive bodies. Objects such as stars can bend light around themselves because they are so massive, space is bent around them. Light bends because it needs to travel through space in order to get anywhere.

http://alexmeske.com/Essays/flatearth.htm

"I'm getting close"...

Quote:
Absorption Lines

However, not all the light that stars give off reaches us. Some is absorbed by the gas in the star's atmosphere.

http://cas.sdss.org/dr5/en/proj/basic/spectraltypes/lines.asp

"Not was I was aiming for, but"...  

Corvius

Corvius

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2007 9:14 pm
Quote:
We propose that supermassive stars may form in quasar accretion disks, and we discuss possible observational consequences. The structure and stability of very massive stars are reviewed. Because of high accretion rates, quasar disks are massive, and the fringes of their optically luminous parts are prone to fragmentation. Starting from a few hundred solar masses

"Stars of such size can exist"...

http://www.journals.uchicago.edu/cgi-bin/resolve?id=doi:10.1086/386360&erFrom=-2776304056500097732Guest  
PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2007 10:04 am
Red 5
Quote:
The upshot of all this talk is that space can be curved by massive bodies. Objects such as stars can bend light around themselves because they are so massive, space is bent around them. Light bends because it needs to travel through space in order to get anywhere.

http://alexmeske.com/Essays/flatearth.htm

"I'm getting close"...

Quote:
Absorption Lines

However, not all the light that stars give off reaches us. Some is absorbed by the gas in the star's atmosphere.

http://cas.sdss.org/dr5/en/proj/basic/spectraltypes/lines.asp

"Not was I was aiming for, but"...

uhh... yea, the first is gravitational lensing. that's nothing to do with stars being black holes.

The second is absorption and emittion lines. That happens with so many stars... that's nothing to do with what you're saying.  

AstronomyGirl

Planetary Astronomer

57,900 Points
  • Conventioneer 300
  • That One Hero 500

AstronomyGirl

Planetary Astronomer

57,900 Points
  • Conventioneer 300
  • That One Hero 500
PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2007 10:06 am
Red 5
Quote:
We propose that supermassive stars may form in quasar accretion disks, and we discuss possible observational consequences. The structure and stability of very massive stars are reviewed. Because of high accretion rates, quasar disks are massive, and the fringes of their optically luminous parts are prone to fragmentation. Starting from a few hundred solar masses

http://www.journals.uchicago.edu/cgi-bin/resolve?id=doi:10.1086/386360&erFrom=-2776304056500097732Guest

uhhh.... right... need to read that more but that doesn't prove your point.

until you find me an article that says that massive stars can be black holes, that's done by a cretable astronomer then I don't believe you.
I'm in 3rd year astrophysics at university. If this was possible I would have learned about it in the stellar astrophysics course I am currently taking.  
PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2007 10:12 am
have noooo idea what 'QM' means, but Black holes do exist, weather they be endless unforgivving abyass from hell, or just a portal to some distant part of the galaxy and/or parallel dimension, but i dont think theres one in the middle of the galaxy  

Kurzon_Dax

Corvius

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2007 12:02 pm
AstronomyGirl
Red 5
Quote:

uhhh.... right... need to read that more but that doesn't prove your point.

until you find me an article that says that massive stars can be black holes, that's done by a cretable astronomer then I don't believe you.
I'm in 3rd year astrophysics at university. If this was possible I would have learned about it in the stellar astrophysics course I am currently taking.

"Oh well, sorry then. I don't want to say your Classes are wrong"...  
72: Science & Astronomy Hangout

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 6 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff