Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Endrael

Codger

PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2006 11:08 pm
AstronomyGirl
Endrael

While this is all fine and dandy, what real incentive is there in contracting through NASA? Space Ship One was entirely privately funded, and there's currently the follow-up project (I forget what it's called) to build a viable commercial craft that can reach orbit without complication. Considering the speed with which the X-Prize was won, why should we believe that the current reach-orbit project won't meet deadline? Especially considering the track record of government projects dragging out for at least two or three years longer than proposed confused That's not something the ISS can afford to have happen, and if the last decade is any indication, the ISS is going to be relying less and less on NASA to function.

indeed. It seems NASA is really slacking which is really benifiting these private companies, giving them a chance to be able to pick up NASA's slack. RIght now, to me it seems that once NASA finishes what it says it will, and retires the shuttle, it will then probably just ... disband (for lack of a better word) and it will all be private companies then.
It will be interesting to see if these private companies can actually make rockets and such that can get into earth orbit.

I'm not so sure that NASA will be dissolved, per se. Public interest is too high for the government to be able to get away with that yet. It's more likely that they're just going to continue cutting funds, especially if the neocons retain power after Bush leaves office. Assuming he doesn't unilaterally override the two term limit with some sort of bs logic like he used during the last election. "In times of war, a nation should not change leaders." If that leader is the one who started the war in the first place, then yes, leadership change is essential scream *twitch* Major peeve of mine. Nevermind the rant.  
PostPosted: Sun Jun 04, 2006 11:40 am
Endrael

I'm not so sure that NASA will be dissolved, per se. Public interest is too high for the government to be able to get away with that yet. It's more likely that they're just going to continue cutting funds, especially if the neocons retain power after Bush leaves office. Assuming he doesn't unilaterally override the two term limit with some sort of bs logic like he used during the last election. "In times of war, a nation should not change leaders." If that leader is the one who started the war in the first place, then yes, leadership change is essential scream *twitch* Major peeve of mine. Nevermind the rant.

lol I don't mind the rant. I'm not American (I'm Canadian) but I feel the same way. We're effected up here by the US enought that issues in the US are also issues here. Personally I hate Bush as well. He's just soo stupid. stare  

AstronomyGirl

Planetary Astronomer

57,900 Points
  • Conventioneer 300
  • That One Hero 500
  • Planetary Technician 150

Endrael

Codger

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2006 1:05 pm
AstronomyGirl
Endrael

lol I don't mind the rant. I'm not American (I'm Canadian) but I feel the same way. We're effected up here by the US enought that issues in the US are also issues here. Personally I hate Bush as well. He's just soo stupid. stare

Aye. I've run across a few times the sentiment, "Is anyone else embarrassed when he opens his mouth to speak?" I've only ever encountered one person who actually supports him, and that person was here on gaia. I sent off a pm asking why they would support Bush and that I wasn't asking so I could tear down but rather because I wanted to try to understand why, since such a position is so logically absurd (not that I said that). I never got a response stare  
PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2006 8:25 pm
Endrael

Aye. I've run across a few times the sentiment, "Is anyone else embarrassed when he opens his mouth to speak?" I've only ever encountered one person who actually supports him, and that person was here on gaia. I sent off a pm asking why they would support Bush and that I wasn't asking so I could tear down but rather because I wanted to try to understand why, since such a position is so logically absurd (not that I said that). I never got a response stare

ah. lol yea. I haven't really met anyone who supports Bush, at least not here in Canada. I have seen a few people on this forum board on another site talking about how Bush isn't that bad (not that they really liked him or anything) but that's about it. blaugh lol  

AstronomyGirl

Planetary Astronomer

57,900 Points
  • Conventioneer 300
  • That One Hero 500

Endrael

Codger

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2006 2:16 pm
AstronomyGirl
Endrael

ah. lol yea. I haven't really met anyone who supports Bush, at least not here in Canada. I have seen a few people on this forum board on another site talking about how Bush isn't that bad (not that they really liked him or anything) but that's about it. blaugh lol

Not that bad? eek He's the worst president the US has ever had. If he and his cronies keep on with what they're doing, the US will tumble into bankruptcy in short order. What happens when the richest, most powerful country in the world collapses? Nevermind all the Nazi Germany and assorted other fascism comparisons. If it weren't so depressingly true, it would be unbelievable that one president and his cabal have so entirely gutted what the US stands for in a short five years scream evil

Not that this has really has much to do with science neutral  
PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2006 9:31 pm
Endrael
AstronomyGirl

Not that bad? eek He's the worst president the US has ever had. If he and his cronies keep on with what they're doing, the US will tumble into bankruptcy in short order. What happens when the richest, most powerful country in the world collapses? Nevermind all the Nazi Germany and assorted other fascism comparisons. If it weren't so depressingly true, it would be unbelievable that one president and his cabal have so entirely gutted what the US stands for in a short five years scream evil

I agree, Bush is the worst president that I know of. (don't really care for history much, so I can't really say that his is the worst when I don't know much about the others. lol )
Yea a few times now my friends and I have been talking about what might happen if the US collapses and all that. We were thinking that India and China would probably be the next superpowers together.

and I don't mind that this isn't science related. It's still a good debate topic. 3nodding  

AstronomyGirl

Planetary Astronomer

57,900 Points
  • Conventioneer 300
  • That One Hero 500

Endrael

Codger

PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2006 2:14 am
AstronomyGirl
Endrael
AstronomyGirl

I agree, Bush is the worst president that I know of. (don't really care for history much, so I can't really say that his is the worst when I don't know much about the others. lol )
Yea a few times now my friends and I have been talking about what might happen if the US collapses and all that. We were thinking that India and China would probably be the next superpowers together.

and I don't mind that this isn't science related. It's still a good debate topic. 3nodding

If they got along a little more reasonably, anyway. But yeh. China and India is where the power is tilting. South America with Hugo Chavez and Evo Morales is coming out strong, too. The European axis of dominant power appears to finally be tapering off, although given the track record of China and it's human rights violations (not that the US is any better lately), I'm really not sure that's such a good thing domokun

Of course, the US collapsing is going to take a good chunk of the world economy with it, and that's not terribly encouraging just in itself.

What's more depressing is that only three of the people I know who're willing to talk/debate politics with me are actually Americans. All the rest are not gonk The apathy in this country towards the actions of the government is just... it hurts. That's the only way I can think to describe it.

There was an article last week talking about how the supreme court ruled that government employees have no free speech protections against things like employer retaliation (being fired) if they talk publicly about their jobs, even if they're outing corruption and such. Translation: Criticize the government, you lose your job, your reputation, and your career. This is a brain freeze, and locks down the ability to affect change.

I've heard only noises on the fringes about this and none from the people. More has been made about Bush granting the NSA effectively unlimited spying power. Granted, it's more pernicious, but the supreme court ruling effectively makes correcting the problem impossible.

There was another article a few weeks ago about how a private company was hired (I think it was a subsidiary of Halliburton or some other company heavily tied to Bush and his cronies) to build a high security prison facility for the 'temporary' 'housing' of illegal immigrants. Translation: concentration camp. This story was quickly disappeared. I haven't been able to find it again.

And of course there's the never-ending propaganda, most notably that which glorifies the military. Then there's the destruction of the Bill of Rights, which hit full swing with passage of the galling PATRIOT Act after the 9/11 attacks. Then there's Bush and his signing statements, effectively giving himself dictatorial power, with sanction of the rest of the government, even though the president, by fiat of the Constitution, does not write or interpret laws, a power which belongs solely to the judiciary. Nevermind all the other violations of the separation of powers ideals that were written into the Constitution, like the power to declare war belonging solely to congress, or the separation of church and state, or the blatant and egregious violations of many, many international treaties of which the US is a party, most namely the Geneva conventions and the Nuclear Non-Proliferation Treaty.

All we need are the SS squads and we've got Nazi Germany, American style *whimper*

Basically, the US has tipped into fascism, and that scares me cry More so because there is no concerted opposition, and there won't be until things reach critical mass and everything just blows up. I think we're likely seeing the opening moves of WW3, with the destruction and occupation of Afghanistan and Iraq. The whole situation is disturbingly like that leading up to WW2 gonk

evil >.< evil I'm pretty sure I could continue ranting, but my brain's slowing down, and all that was probably more than necessary. But seeing as how you and I seem to be the only two who do anything with this thread...  
PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2006 3:42 pm
Quote:
There was an article last week talking about how the supreme court ruled that government employees have no free speech protections against things like employer retaliation (being fired) if they talk publicly about their jobs, even if they're outing corruption and such. Translation: Criticize the government, you lose your job, your reputation, and your career. This is a brain freeze, and locks down the ability to affect change.
Basically, the US has tipped into fascism, and that scares me cry More so because there is no concerted opposition, and there won't be until things reach critical mass and everything just blows up. I think we're likely seeing the opening moves of WW3, with the destruction and occupation of Afghanistan and Iraq. The whole situation is disturbingly like that leading up to WW2 gonk

Really? You can loose your job if you speak out against the government? Now that is scarry.
humm... Yea. I can see what you mean with the WW2 comparison. It's a rather scarry idea that right now might be the beginning of WW3. :S  

AstronomyGirl

Planetary Astronomer

57,900 Points
  • Conventioneer 300
  • That One Hero 500

Endrael

Codger

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2006 10:42 am
AstronomyGirl
Quote:

Really? You can loose your job if you speak out against the government? Now that is scarry.

"To announce that there must be no criticism of the president or that we are to stand by the president right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but it is morally treasonable to the American public."
- Theodore Roosevelt

"A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people."
- John F. Kennedy

AstronomyGirl
humm... Yea. I can see what you mean with the WW2 comparison. It's a rather scarry idea that right now might be the beginning of WW3. :S

Yeh xp It won't hit full stride until the US invades Iran, though. The US may be the only super-power left, but it won't stand long against a concerted effort by most of the rest of the world to take it down militarily. If that happens, I imagine we're going to see about the same reaction from the American people as we did from the Germans after WW2: "We didn't know this was going on." And people find that hard to believe, because it's such a major thing to keep hidden, but when you realize that the media was nothing but a propaganda machine in Nazi Germany and largely only ran stories that reflected well on the government, it becomes a lot easier to believe. The same thing's happening here in the US evil  
PostPosted: Sun Jun 11, 2006 8:41 am
Sunday June 11th 2006
(I've really been slacking on the news. xp )

Definition of 'Planet' Expected in September

LINK TO THE ARTICLE

"Historians and educators have joined astronomers in an effort to break a deadlock on contentious discussions over a definition for the word planet."

This is big news to me. ^_^

Endrael - ... Can't really think of anything else to say in reply. How about we leave that for now.  

AstronomyGirl

Planetary Astronomer

57,900 Points
  • Conventioneer 300
  • That One Hero 500

Endrael

Codger

PostPosted: Sun Jun 11, 2006 1:06 pm
AstronomyGirl

It's about damn time rofl It'll be nice to finally see an end to the debate over whether Pluto's an actual planet or just a planetoid.

Quote:
Endrael - ... Can't really think of anything else to say in reply. How about we leave that for now.

I was thinking the same thing blaugh Ranting about the idiocy and hypocrisy of the US government only holds my attention for so long before it starts wearing me out neutral  
PostPosted: Sun Jun 11, 2006 9:30 pm
Endrael
AstronomyGirl

It's about damn time rofl It'll be nice to finally see an end to the debate over whether Pluto's an actual planet or just a planetoid.

Lol. yea I'm really excited to hear what their decision will be about Pluto. It's my favourite planet and I really love all that KBO stuff. ^_^ It's all so interesting.  

AstronomyGirl

Planetary Astronomer

57,900 Points
  • Conventioneer 300
  • That One Hero 500

AstronomyGirl

Planetary Astronomer

57,900 Points
  • Conventioneer 300
  • That One Hero 500
PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2006 7:00 am
Wednesday June 13th 2006

Astrophysicist Stephen Hawking says humans must spread out in space to survive

LINK TO THE ARTICLE

"The survival of the human race depends on its ability to find new homes elsewhere in the universe because there's an increasing risk that a disaster will destroy the Earth, world-renowned scientist Stephen Hawking said Tuesday."

Here's an interesting article. Perhaps this could spark a debate. I think I'll make a new thread about this here.  
PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2006 1:09 am
Upside-Down Sensors Doomed Craft

"Gravity sensors were installed upside-down aboard a NASA spacecraft, dooming the probe to a 193-mph crash landing in the Utah desert, accident investigators said in a report released Tuesday."

Apparently, every catastrophic failure NASA has experienced over the last several years for probes and such (barring the shuttle burn-up) has been because of laxness on the part of Lockheed Martin. My question is this: Why do they continue relying on LM and trusting them to do the proper testing and manufacturing, when they obviously don't do so consistently and so condemn billions of dollars of research and construction and training to be wasted because of their easily remedied mistakes?  

Endrael

Codger

AstronomyGirl

Planetary Astronomer

57,900 Points
  • Conventioneer 300
  • That One Hero 500
PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2006 7:05 am
Endrael
Upside-Down Sensors Doomed Craft

"Gravity sensors were installed upside-down aboard a NASA spacecraft, dooming the probe to a 193-mph crash landing in the Utah desert, accident investigators said in a report released Tuesday."

Apparently, every catastrophic failure NASA has experienced over the last several years for probes and such (barring the shuttle burn-up) has been because of laxness on the part of Lockheed Martin. My question is this: Why do they continue relying on LM and trusting them to do the proper testing and manufacturing, when they obviously don't do so consistently and so condemn billions of dollars of research and construction and training to be wasted because of their easily remedied mistakes?

eek Wow. I never knew all those failures were because of LM's not doing things right. Which makes me wonder why haven't they found someone new to do it? Or clamped down on LM? Why are they letting them continue to make those mistakes. stare  
72: Science & Astronomy Hangout

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 6 7 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff