Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Dungeons & Dragons Guild

Back to Guilds

A Dungeons & Dragons Roleplaying Guild - We have many active games, join requests are checked often, and everyone is accepted. 

Tags: Dungeons, Dragons, Roleplaying, Dungeons and Dragons 

Reply The Dungeons & Dragons Guild
Mythweavers is "Protesting" for 24 hours Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Rain Yupa
Captain

Enduring Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 4:11 pm
SporkMaster5000
irrisponsible, debatably.

stupid, no. a) people ******** know about this. A lot of people. A banner at the top? how many times did you read a personal appeal from [some jackass at wikipedia]? EVERYONE is paying some attention to this.
b) it worked.

Hahaha, great link. It made my evening! Here's to many more like it!  
PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 4:18 pm
Rain Yupa
SporkMaster5000

stupid, no. a) people ******** know about this. A lot of people. A banner at the top? how many times did you read a personal appeal from [some jackass at wikipedia]? EVERYONE is paying some attention to this.
b) it worked.

THIS POST HAS BEEN CENSORED BY SOPA

Suicidesoldier#1

Fanatical Zealot

Rain Yupa
Captain

Enduring Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 4:22 pm
@ Suicide Soldier: One last thing: The whole point of blocking out sites like wikipedia, which would be, as you put it, immensely important & useful for learning about this very thing, is to make it that more impacting to the public.

Imagine those who DON'T know the details, and they're unable to actually find anything about the reasons why. Imagine how infuriating that would be, and how helpless that would make everyone feel?

The whole point of this is that we can go on tomorrow and find out, "WTF COULDN'T I HAVE MY INTERNETZ YESTERDAY?!?!1!?1". Because when SOPA and PIPA pass, we might not have that luxury then.

I hate to break it to you, but if you fail to see this point at all, then you're the only one in this conversation, possibly in the entire guild, who doesn't get the point of the black-out. And this means it's a losing battle for you, so arguing your point further is naught but an effort in futility.

I won't stop you from doing it anyways if it comes to that, until tempers begin to flare. But I feel the responsible thing for me to do at this point is to let you know where you stand. Kudos for sticking to your convictions, but you might want to bring your arguments elsewhere if you want to find someone to agree with you. sweatdrop  
PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 4:25 pm
Suicidesoldier#1
Rain posted a link pretty early in the thread to 25 kids who didn't seem too informed about this whole mess. at least one confirmed that they just signed up to stop it after seeing wikipedia down. you give people too much credit for being informed, even on the internet. here's another link with more evidence though. moreover, even people who don't use the internet regularly will notice when wikipedia is down, it's a big ******** deal, that's the point.

Quote:
You give people WAAAAAY too much credit. most people can't really rationalize how bad it is to have something they completely take for granted just disappear.

It's not like having to stab someone to let htem know what hurting feels like, it's more akin to the difference between saying "If you lost your legs it would suck" and making someone spend a day in a wheelchair. or making them pretend to be blind for a day, or taking away electricity. there are things people have no concept of being without, because they've always had it. The internet isn't quite so inherent, but the current generation has always had it, and most modern people take it for granted. you don't know what it's like to lose something so ingrained into your life until you don't have it. This is a wake up call most of them need.  

SporkMaster5000
Crew

Invisible Citizen

10,000 Points
  • Millionaire 200
  • Invisibility 100
  • Megathread 100

SporkMaster5000
Crew

Invisible Citizen

10,000 Points
  • Millionaire 200
  • Invisibility 100
  • Megathread 100
PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 4:28 pm
Suicidesoldier#1
Rain Yupa
SporkMaster5000

b) it worked.

...you realise 10 hours is a long a** time, right?  
PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 4:40 pm
Suicidesoldier#1
Rain Yupa
SporkMaster5000

b) it worked.

10 hours...? You make it seem like it's nothing more than a drop in the ocean. Yes, in the grand scheme of things, is. It's not even half a day, which makes it less than 1/30th of a month, and the fraction continues to dwindle the longer your span of time. But in the scope of a day, that's roughly 5/12ths of a day. Just under a quarter of a day.
Remember back on 9/11/2001 (I pick this only because it's recognizable by everyone, regardless of nationality, or your views on that particular day) on how much every single second counted? How now everything is calculated by the minute and detailed when each minute of the hours that passed? A lot can happen in one hour.
Remember how quickly information traveled? Remember how quickly everyone was quick to respond, be it for money, blood, whathaveyou? All that information and support spread thanks o the Internet. In less than half a day.
Countless amounts of data is transferred between computers, databases, and minds in very short periods of time. It doesn't take long for something to take action. A site to be shut down. Or even a group like Anon to take action. 10 hours is very long. Almost too long.  

Seph Baelzara

Dedicated Gaian

12,050 Points
  • Beta Gaian 0
  • Beta Citizen 0
  • Elocutionist 200

Suicidesoldier#1

Fanatical Zealot

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 4:45 pm
SporkMaster5000
Suicidesoldier#1
Rain Yupa
SporkMaster5000

b) it worked.

...you realise 10 hours is a long a** time, right?

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 4:47 pm
Rain Yupa
@ Suicide Soldier: One last thing: The whole point of blocking out sites like wikipedia, which would be, as you put it, immensely important & useful for learning about this very thing, is to make it that more impacting to the public.

Imagine those who DON'T know the details, and they're unable to actually find anything about the reasons why. Imagine how infuriating that would be, and how helpless that would make everyone feel?

The whole point of this is that we can go on tomorrow and find out, "WTF COULDN'T I HAVE MY INTERNETZ YESTERDAY?!?!1!?1". Because when SOPA and PIPA pass, we might not have that luxury then.

I hate to break it to you, but if you fail to see this point at all, then you're the only one in this conversation, possibly in the entire guild, who doesn't get the point of the black-out. And this means it's a losing battle for you, so arguing your point further is naught but an effort in futility.

I won't stop you from doing it anyways if it comes to that, until tempers begin to flare. But I feel the responsible thing for me to do at this point is to let you know where you stand. Kudos for sticking to your convictions, but you might want to bring your arguments elsewhere if you want to find someone to agree with you. sweatdrop

Suicidesoldier#1

Fanatical Zealot

Mongooseh

Distinct Raider

8,825 Points
  • Demonic Associate 100
  • Guildmember 100
  • Hellraiser 500
PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 4:47 pm
That statement disputes nothing and you are neatly ignoring anything else you cannot dispute.  
PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 4:50 pm
Mongooseh
That statement disputes nothing and you are neatly ignoring anything else you cannot dispute.

Suicidesoldier#1

Fanatical Zealot

Cute Things In Jars

Anxious Poster

10,675 Points
  • Partygoer 500
  • Bunny Spotter 50
  • Megathread 100
PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 5:21 pm
SporkMaster5000
Snuffins
So like....this is really chafing me...
Why should I, as a citizen of the United Kingdom, be a victim of something the United States passes?
because the problem with the bill is it threatens the stability of the internet as a whole. it would allow corporations to turn off DNS servers, meaning entire websites just up and disappear.

Yes, america is not the whole internet, but it's a lot of the internet, and it's a lot of the big names on the internet. moreover, if DNS servers go down, people have to find ways around it, given the provisions of the bill, accessing IP addreses directly would still be possible, as may be using certain services and networks currently being used to bypass similar censorship in china, but both options present significant security risks, to all involved, and the latter would likely be made illegal shortly on the heels of these bills if it did catch on.

this whole protest is happening, not to protest american censorship, but to protest american censorship breaking the internet

lol, i knew that already
ii was asking a rhetorical question rofl  
PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 7:01 pm
Suicidesoldier#1
Rain Yupa

One last statement her and I'm done.
You say a 'long term sustainable solution' would be better? We don't have 'long term.' SOPA/PIPA is upon us NOW. Without immediate action, we will lose one of the most powerful freedoms we have. And while some take the time to look at little tidbits, the Blackout is about a peek at the future. No one was harmed, and no one lost access to vitally important data. It did, however, make a lot of people realize how big of a deal this whole situation is. The Blackout is for an relatively short period of time. If these acts pass, they will last a lot longer. Sometimes a concussive smack in the face can do more than tossing gravel. And it's not like the Blackout is the only awareness maneuver happening. But it's how these sites chose to help, and I believe it has made a huge difference.

Now, I'm getting a ignorance inspired headache. I don't suppose anyone has some virtual aspirin to share? emotion_kirakira  

RafeRavel

Dangerous Survivor

6,100 Points
  • Member 100
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Dressed Up 200

Vorastrix

Hilarious Sage

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 7:06 pm
Suicidesoldier#1

I don't get it, it worked, and you're complaining that it....what...didn't work in the right way: a way that didn't inconvenience you?

i definitely came in this late in the game, and missed most of the arguments, and i really don't feel like reading all of it, so i'm wondering...what, if any, alternative do you have?  
PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 7:54 pm
Vorastrix
Suicidesoldier#1

I don't get it, it worked, and you're complaining that it....what...didn't work in the right way: a way that didn't inconvenience you?

i definitely came in this late in the game, and missed most of the arguments, and i really don't feel like reading all of it, so i'm wondering...what, if any, alternative do you have?

Suicidesoldier#1

Fanatical Zealot

Suicidesoldier#1

Fanatical Zealot

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 7:55 pm
RafeRavel
Suicidesoldier#1
Rain Yupa

One last statement her and I'm done.
You say a 'long term sustainable solution' would be better? We don't have 'long term.' SOPA/PIPA is upon us NOW. Without immediate action, we will lose one of the most powerful freedoms we have. And while some take the time to look at little tidbits, the Blackout is about a peek at the future. No one was harmed, and no one lost access to vitally important data. It did, however, make a lot of people realize how big of a deal this whole situation is. The Blackout is for an relatively short period of time. If these acts pass, they will last a lot longer. Sometimes a concussive smack in the face can do more than tossing gravel. And it's not like the Blackout is the only awareness maneuver happening. But it's how these sites chose to help, and I believe it has made a huge difference.

Now, I'm getting a ignorance inspired headache. I don't suppose anyone has some virtual aspirin to share? emotion_kirakira

The Dungeons & Dragons Guild

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces