Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Dungeons & Dragons Guild

Back to Guilds

A Dungeons & Dragons Roleplaying Guild - We have many active games, join requests are checked often, and everyone is accepted. 

Tags: Dungeons, Dragons, Roleplaying, Dungeons and Dragons 

Reply The Dungeons & Dragons Guild
[SR3] Shadowrun 3rd Edition Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 4

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Are you familiar with Shadowrun?
  Not at all! What is it?
  I've heard of it, and know a little ab it.
  I've played 3rd (or 2nd) Ed. before.
  I've played 4th Ed. before.
  I've played more than one version, chummer.
View Results

Plainsfox

Romantic Paladin

10,600 Points
  • Battle Hardened 150
  • Team Jacob 100
  • Bunny Hunter 100
PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2010 4:56 pm
On another slight tweak, would it be possible to shave a point or two from hooter's active skills to gain Bike? The Ancients are a Go-Gang and it's a little odd that Hooter can't ride.

And if I ask for anything more, please bop me on the head.  
PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2010 5:27 pm
I notice in your example there you put the target number at 6. To be clear, the target number is the current body score, which for an average troll would be 8. The threshold is 6, which is the number of successes you need before the spell takes effect. Also, I hadn't intended that character to be an Ancients member, he just happens to know one elf who is. We could still give him Bike if you want, but since he can't afford a ride, it seems like something to wait and spend karma on once you can afford a bike.

As for the spell, I think I've got a workable version figured out, though I'll have to do some testing to make sure it performs the way I expect. I think it makes more sense, and is pretty practical in that it doesn't need to be sustained, and the threshold is generally lower. The downside being it takes a little time to take effect. I'd be a lot more comfortable with a player having this spell, and I think it's a fun spell all the same.

Polymorph
Type: P Target: B Duration: P Range: LOS
As Transform, except as described here.
Threshold is the difference between body scores of the original and new forms (which must be less than the force of the spell), plus any successes rolled resisting the spell (using willpower, unwilling targets only). At least one success past the threshold must be rolled for the spell to succeed; additional successes can either be used to reduce the time the spell takes to take hold as normal, or to increase (or decrease) the duration. Line of sight must be maintained for the entire time it takes the spell to become permanent.

While the spell is "permanent", it does not necessarily last forever. The duration is chosen when the spell is cast, and is multiplied by the number of successes used to increase the duration. The drain is dependant on the duration chosen:
1 Combat Turn +2(L)
1 Minute +2(M)
30 Minutes +2(S)
1 Day +2(D)
Permanent +4(D)

Astral perception reveals that a polymorphed creature is not what it seems, and an assensing test can be made for more information.

The spell can be ended prematurely by casting the spell on the target again with the intent of changing it back to its original form (whether or not it is known to the caster). The caster must equal or exceed the remaining duration of the spell to successfully change it back.  

KamikaziFreak

Plainsfox

Romantic Paladin

10,600 Points
  • Battle Hardened 150
  • Team Jacob 100
  • Bunny Hunter 100
PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2010 6:40 pm
*nods* Changes hooter's background a little, and yeah. that change looks like it'll work for me.  
PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2010 6:49 pm
Magic Fingers is the spell I'd say is least important. Do you want to drop it in exchange for Polymorph at force 4, or do something else?  

KamikaziFreak

Plainsfox

Romantic Paladin

10,600 Points
  • Battle Hardened 150
  • Team Jacob 100
  • Bunny Hunter 100
PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2010 7:26 pm
Yeah. It just means Hooter will have to put those explosives in place himself. wink  
PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2010 7:32 pm
Change made. Like I said, I need to do some testing to make sure the spell works as intended, but I'm home near my dice now so I'll get on that.

Any other questions, concerns, or interesting things to say?  

KamikaziFreak

KamikaziFreak

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2010 11:20 pm
Ok, after consideration I think I should split that spell into two spells, one that's willing targets only, and one that works on unwilling targets, but has drain damage codes increased by 1 level (if it's already deadly, you add 2 to the drain). I don't feel like coming up with two names, so pick which one you want to know, and we'll call that one Polymorph.  
PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2010 12:48 am
KamikaziFreak
Ok, after consideration I think I should split that spell into two spells, one that's willing targets only, and one that works on unwilling targets, but has drain damage codes increased by 1 level (if it's already deadly, you add 2 to the drain). I don't feel like coming up with two names, so pick which one you want to know, and we'll call that one Polymorph.

Hrrm... No splitting them in half and calling the one that transforms unwilling people into Baleful Polymorph? (Since we're borrowing the name already)

If that's not possible, I'll go for the Baleful version.  

Plainsfox

Romantic Paladin

10,600 Points
  • Battle Hardened 150
  • Team Jacob 100
  • Bunny Hunter 100

KamikaziFreak

PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2010 8:27 am
I thought about it, but I'm not just taking it from D&D, and I never liked the name Baleful Polymorph anyway (probably because I liked the 3rd edition version better, before polymorph was split. In any case, I do intend it to be split, I'm just not naming the version you're not using. Presumably it still exists.

So you've got the one that works on unwilling targets, with drain starting at +2(M), right?  
PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2010 9:33 am
Yup yup.  

Plainsfox

Romantic Paladin

10,600 Points
  • Battle Hardened 150
  • Team Jacob 100
  • Bunny Hunter 100

KamikaziFreak

PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2010 10:44 am
It's been more than a week since either of the other two people who showed interest posted, so I think it's safe to start the game. The game's subforum is now the place to be, so we'll continue there, in the OOC/General Discussion thread.  
PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2010 9:21 pm
I am sorry, I kind of had an accident...

I still would like to play, though, I haven't play or even heard of it before. I may be a little slow on responding for a few more days. Is this alright?  

Xboxplayerj

KamikaziFreak

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2010 5:12 pm
I should be able to add in one more person still, though I think it's important to mention that Shadowrun is a complicated game. It's not too difficult to learn and I'm willing to teach you, but just know going in that you're going to have to do a lot of learning. If you're not interested in that, then I wouldn't suggest playing.

That having been said, playing will be a lot easier if you're able to get ahold of a 3rd Edition Shadowrun rulebook. If you know anyone that you could borrow one from, or a library that might have it, or even a .pdf if you can find one, it would help a lot if you're able to look up details on your own time without having to wait around for a response. In particular, I think it's important that you read the section "And So It Came To Pass," starting on page 21. That section explains the background of the Shadowrun setting, which would take some work to try to explain.

I would highly recommend playing as the dwarf with amnesia for your character. as he is naturally beginner-friendly. He starts out having no idea what exactly he can do, which if you've never played Shadowrun is the same state that you as a player will be in. The character sheet is blank, and you get to fill things in as you find out what he can do, which means the sheet isn't filled with information you don't understand.

This dwarf in particular is pretty level-headed, and adapts quickly enough to manage pretty well despite having no memories of his past. Introspective and with good sense, he's finding a way to get by. If that doesn't sound at all appealing, or if amnesia really isn't your thing, there's another character you could play as, though there's a sharper learning curve. This one is the female human special agent, who used to work for a private organization that was a bit of a watchdog against the actions of some of the corps. When the institute's founder passed away several years ago, the driving force behind it was gone, and without it's leading figure has decided recently to close its doors, leaving her looking for work.  
The Dungeons & Dragons Guild

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 4

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff