Reply 11: The Intelligent Cogitation: For the Master Debaters
Religion and/or God Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 4 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Flipsided

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2007 3:45 pm
Well that's kind of like a person who has never been in the water before saying their's zero evidance that he could float. You have no idea until you try. Like how you can't tell until until you've experienced being touched by God. That's the only evidence I need.  
PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2007 11:52 am
AntieQ
I once read a quote about how an all-knowing and all-powerful being created imperfect humans and blames us for his mistake!

You should check out this site: http://www.godchecker.com/

How many of these thousands of gods would you say might exist? If you keep an open mind about one god, then you need to keep an open mind about them all, for they all have the same amount of evidence - that is zero. I'd worry that keeping my mind that open would allow my brains to fall out!!

Which apparently has already occurred...

First off most of these 2000+ deities could just be seen as the "same" God. For example the Jewish God is the Christian God is the Muslim God... etc. They just have disagreements as to which text is the real "God's book", because obviously they can't co-exist. This is called "faith", and no, to believe one religion is not logically to believe all religions as you somehow seem to think it is. For example I will never believe the Hindu religion because Hindus believe that water rests upon and is filtered through a goddess's hair before it reaches the Ganje river, as one example. Pretty obvious that doesn't happen considering water vapour simply rests in clouds, gathers, and then falls back down to Earth without being "filtered" at all. It's like the Egyptian religion, it's like the ancient Greek religion, it's like the Norse religion -- it focuses on physical Earthly things and tries to explain how they happen, while Christianity instead focuses purely on God and the ethereal, and His interaction with man His greatest invention.

And then there's the concept that, through Christianity, it becomes obvious what other religions are. For example the ways of Satan described in the Christian Bible are basically a summarization of Islam, so it seems obvious to me what that religion is from a Christian perspective (and please, before someone says "teh writers of teh bibble wer just trynig 2 bash musloms", it was written thousands of years before Muhammad woke up on a rock drunk and told people that God showed him heaven and it became a religion).  

NOCTVRNVS

Lhoss

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2007 1:42 am
I think god, religion or whatever is something to make life and death easier for people.

It was a great idea tell people about sins and other kind of stuff so they behave, cuz humans sometimes can be like animals. It began obiously with the explanation of stuff, and continues like that, just a little bit away of the understanding of average people. So if god is not in heaven (cuz we already know that theres nothing upthere) lets make Heaven a mystucal place bla bla bla. Then... wow! some intelligent people thought, hey we can use "religion" for control, so normal people obey and we can became powerful (yeeha for the vatican!) So ( and this is my opinion so i dont mean to be offensive) there comes Jesus, a poor guy made for poor people. What a coincidence that he was born in all those circumstances, like a lot of "gods" before him, like Horus (check Zeitgeist.com nice info).

Anyway, stupid people = happy people, more stupid people more the power and money that a few can have.

Now why death? well it must be hard for anyone realizing that everything will end just like that... so what a great idea thinking about a place where our "souls" can go or what a great idea thinking about reincarnation, or what a great idea about whatever you want, all those places were you can go before dead. I mean wow! the people that thought about that are amazing, cuz indeed, if you think that you will die, and PUM! all for nothing, all the universe collapses for your reality... forever...

So... Religion is great for those that need a tale so they dont feel alone and they can be happy even thinking about dead.  
PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2007 3:33 pm
Make life and death easier for people!? How the hell do you gather that?

By following a religion you must agree to follow an entire set of laws that go with it -- hardly making life or death easier. Especially the knowledge that dying without living in a way that God meant for you to live will result in your eternal damnation... I think it's not a very logical conclusion that religion exists to make death easier to grasp.  

NOCTVRNVS

justamunkey

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2007 10:12 pm
NOCTVRNVS

By following a religion you must agree to follow an entire set of laws that go with it -- hardly making life or death easier. Especially the knowledge that dying without living in a way that God meant for you to live will result in your eternal damnation... I think it's not a very logical conclusion that religion exists to make death easier to grasp.

True, but to many followers of any religion (especially Abrahamic), it's comforting to know that there is something after this life. For example, when a loved one dies--it's somewhat easier to deal with if you "know" that you will see him/her again in heaven, than accepting that he/she is dead. Forever.

And as for the whole "entire set of laws", devout believers also have this huge misconception that the human race is unable to survive without "God's word". Morals are one of the main arguments to this theory. Without a holy book, surely humans would be killing, stealing, having sex like crazy and other heinous actions, right?

eek

I've always hated that argument. It's been proven over and over that human emotion dictate morals <---- and humans have emotions regardless of whether they've read the Qu'ran, Bible, Torah, etc.  
PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2007 11:38 pm
justamunkey
NOCTVRNVS

True, but to many followers of any religion (especially Abrahamic), it's comforting to know that there is something after this life. For example, when a loved one dies--it's somewhat easier to deal with if you "know" that you will see him/her again in heaven, than accepting that he/she is dead. Forever.

And as for the whole "entire set of laws", devout believers also have this huge misconception that the human race is unable to survive without "God's word". Morals are one of the main arguments to this theory. Without a holy book, surely humans would be killing, stealing, having sex like crazy and other heinous actions, right?

eek

I've always hated that argument. It's been proven over and over that human emotion dictate morals <---- and humans have emotions regardless of whether they've read the Qu'ran, Bible, Torah, etc.

Hmm... well if humanity can live morally without religion they're doing a terrible job of proving it. After all I think most of us will agree "satanism" is the opposition of religion; yet the prime component of satanism is "do whatever benefits you, and f*** the rest". Also, who is more likely to steal/rape/murder (take your pick) -- a Christian trying his hardest to live life how his God asks him to; or an atheist who lives by the motto "do what makes you feel good"?

Not to mention I STILL don't see a logical reason one would ever act in the best interest of others, rather than just doing what pleases themself, without religion as a guide, a greater cause. I mean without an ultimate reward, there's no logical reason for a human to help another human. You're still going to die and be forgotten according to your godless philosophy. What difference does it make then how you lived?

As for the comfort of knowing there's an afterlife -- if, as you have expressed, it is relieving to think that our dead have gone on to a better (even perfect) life, considering the Bible states that very few will ever see Heaven shouldn't we feel anxiety that they likely ended up elsewhere? I really don't see how the concept of an afterlife with the common alternative being absolute banishment from existence would be comforting. We are meant to work toward being one of "God's elite", with the knowledge that we will fail if we disregard the right path. Please explain how that is comforting.  

NOCTVRNVS

justamat

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2007 4:32 pm
Snowmaiden616
Recently I have been questioning my faith and if it is the right one.
Does anyone beleive that there is one perfect religion?
Or per say, Any God at all?
I am Catholic and i am taught to believe that there is a God and He is perfect. But if he is perfect and He wants his people to be happy, Why does he let all this crap go on in the world?

Why? It isn't God's job to police the world. He gave us free will. It's our job to make decision based on his teachings. When a man kills another man, it isn't God's fault; it is a human being's fault. If a man treats his enemy as a brother, it isn't God's doing; it's a human being's. Just as many good things happen in our world as bad things. We only hear more about the bad. If you're always looking up for an answer, you might miss the ones God gives us here on earth. If God fixed everything for us, then what would we need Heaven for? We aren't in the Garden of Eden, we're in the desert.  
PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2007 10:26 pm
crap does this forum need more activity.

Anyway let me start by saying no religion is correct and god probebly just wants you to do the right thing, tell the truth, love your mommy and daddy, and respect and love your fellow man.

However..god has alot of precious babies...babies like you and me..and people from africa and germany...he's watched his little babies grow and evolve for millions of years..they faught they've loved and finally one day the begane to recognise god and he became physical in this world.

God cannot intervine with what his children do, as all his children are beautifull and special and want to do what they want to do. How would you feel if god had sided with the germans during world war 1? And using a series of freak accidents france fell and was conquared by the germans? It wouldn't be very bad, but it just isn't fair.

Thats why god cannot intervine...it wouldn't be fair but more importantly..no one is wrong, but no one is exactly "correct". We are all just trying to do whats best..and in that sense god is very proud of us and trys to do what little he/she can to help us out, but we make it difficult..We're always trying to kill each other...and we're always ruining the enviorment...the land god made for all his/her other precious children to live on together.

God isn't the problem. God is neutral and loves all the beautifull, miracoulas, and even somtimes god like things we do..looking down..with a sense of deep pride and passion and saying "I made them..I made those wonderfull horrible ugly and beautifull creatures."

We are the problem, but we are also the solution...now somebody give me a big ol' hug. 4laugh heart  

Gopher dude

Questionable Lover

Tama_Mantic

Timid Nerd

11,900 Points
  • Nerd 50
  • Invisibility 100
  • Marathon 300
PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2007 4:10 pm
it is impossiable for a religion to be perfect or correct in my opinion. there are plenty of religions that tell diffrent stories.  
PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2007 6:37 am
Snowmaiden616
I am Catholic and i am taught to believe that there is a God and He is perfect. But if he is perfect and He wants his people to be happy, Why does he let all this crap go on in the world?

I believe that there is one religion that is perfectly true; it is up to the one practicing it to make it perfect to a certain extent though. Besides, a Muslim would say the same thing about his/her religion. A Catholic would say the same. Everyone believes that there is one true religion, even 'atheists'. eek Yes, even atheists have a religion.  

iLord Vader

Luvs2Snuggle

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2007 7:21 pm
all religons are messed up in one aspect or another. if you look at them logically. I believe in god, and that he loves us and is there for us. he helps us when we dont know it. but I dont believe in a lot of the churches and how they preach things. if you go to 10 different churches you will get 10 different variations of the same lesson. becuase people preach the bible to suit their own needs. the bible is a book of stories you are supposed to read and take to heart, to let there lessons guide you in your life. not a rule book that you follow word for word. cause lets face it, it has been changed way to many times in the past. if you look at all other religons beside christans, they too have there flaws and contridictions. the best thing I have found, is love god, believe in him, and try to do your best and help your fellow man every day. we all make mistakes, god knows that, so dont let that get you down. or use that as an excuse to do bad stuff. god will help you a lot in your life, but dont expect him to do anything for you, thats why when things happen and you dont expect it, its a blessing.  
PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2008 10:22 pm
justamat
Snowmaiden616

Why? It isn't God's job to police the world. He gave us free will. It's our job to make decision based on his teachings. When a man kills another man, it isn't God's fault; it is a human being's fault. If a man treats his enemy as a brother, it isn't God's doing; it's a human being's. Just as many good things happen in our world as bad things. We only hear more about the bad. If you're always looking up for an answer, you might miss the ones God gives us here on earth. If God fixed everything for us, then what would we need Heaven for? We aren't in the Garden of Eden, we're in the desert.

than what is gods job?
why do people pray to him if its not his job to fix things?
why not just skip the whole earth thing and have a heaven?
id like to know how you can be so sure of something that you cant find out *theoretically* until death.  

KityKatt27

KityKatt27

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2008 10:45 pm
NOCTVRNVS
justamunkey
NOCTVRNVS

eek

Hmm... well if humanity can live morally without religion they're doing a terrible job of proving it. After all I think most of us will agree "satanism" is the opposition of religion; yet the prime component of satanism is "do whatever benefits you, and f*** the rest". Also, who is more likely to steal/rape/murder (take your pick) -- a Christian trying his hardest to live life how his God asks him to; or an atheist who lives by the motto "do what makes you feel good"?

Not to mention I STILL don't see a logical reason one would ever act in the best interest of others, rather than just doing what pleases themself, without religion as a guide, a greater cause. I mean without an ultimate reward, there's no logical reason for a human to help another human. You're still going to die and be forgotten according to your godless philosophy. What difference does it make then how you lived?

As for the comfort of knowing there's an afterlife -- if, as you have expressed, it is relieving to think that our dead have gone on to a better (even perfect) life, considering the Bible states that very few will ever see Heaven shouldn't we feel anxiety that they likely ended up elsewhere? I really don't see how the concept of an afterlife with the common alternative being absolute banishment from existence would be comforting. We are meant to work toward being one of "God's elite", with the knowledge that we will fail if we disregard the right path. Please explain how that is comforting.

im atheist; aka not religioius in the least. i dont believe that some 'god' (or goddess) dictates everything. but i dont happen to murder, rape, or steal.
id just lyk to point out that technically satianism is, lyk it or not, a religion. and please do not compare atheists to satianist, there not the same thing. just because i dont believed in god doesnt make me a horrible person. besides, if u look at the past, good little christian boy, christianity has been the cause of more wars and deaths than any other religion.

well, i may not believe that theres a god, or a heaven after this life, but i dont think thats a reason for me to treat other ppl like s**t. perhaps unlike you, i dont need a promise of a reward to treat people with kindness and remorse. i may not think theres an afterlife, but when im old and looking back on my life, id like to know i lived it honorably.  
PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2009 2:32 am
First let me state that i am a ex catholic raised and schooled
When i attended school i had a big bulling problem, for YEARS i was beat weekly at school and the faculty failed to protect me this has left me bitter about the clergy.
I was almost molested by a priest
god if he exists is at BEST indifferant to human suffering and at his worst is histories greatest mass murderer
If you look carefully at the bible more than 1 million people die
If you take a little time look into astronomy the vastness of the universe is astonishing.
It is mans greatest hubris to think that if there is a god he cares about a slimy coating on a small world orbiting an almost insignificant star.
I do believe that great works have been accomplished in the names of various gods but also the greatest suffering has been inflicted to convert people to other religons.
Look up the spanish inquisitions i think they behaved worse than hitler in the name of god i thought its supposed to be love your nieghbor not pull out fingernails till u confess for sins you might not have commited.
now on a personal level i suffered a burst brain anyuersm in 2007 (think BIG stroke) it was devestating there is a 99% chance of death but i have recovered well i actually have a higher iq now than before it happenedwhen asked if i wanted a priest i told them the first on through the door was gonna get yelled at the thing that pulled me through it was i wanted to go fishing the next weekend i really love fishing
religon is just afterlife insurance with NO proof of payment upon death  

piscator

piscator

PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2009 2:54 am
This is what i believe happened on the day god was born. Ugg the chief of a caveman group was a smart guy if you look around in nature you can see the living spirit in things if you kill a deer you know something has left it. unfortunatelly we gotta eat. now ugg's warrior grog was a troublesome guy always goofing around and sleeping with all the girls ugg didnt like this so they had a big public argument told grog that if he didnt stop it the spirits would get angry with him. then came a random accident you pick it famine war or animal attack and grog died. Ugg took the money and ran with it and anytime someone stepped out of line ugg said you will anger the spirits and the people bought it the next thing you know you got religon. the next thing to happen was ugg had competition named rakk he saw what ugg pulled off and started saying the true spirits were talking to him and that ugg couldnt so it turned into a popularity contest. this may not be exactlly what happened but you get my giest everyone wants a piece of god to empower them over people.but it started out as social manipulation.  
11: The Intelligent Cogitation: For the Master Debaters

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 4 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff