relax with us 

Tags: contests, games, variety 

Reply 11: The Intelligent Cogitation: For the Master Debaters
The Death Penalty Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 6 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

How do you feel about the death penalty?
  I'm pro-death penalty.
  I'm against the death penalty.
  I'm not sure, it depends on the circumstances.
  Other, poll ho. :)
View Results

shadow_alchemist92

PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2006 7:30 pm
My Deep Sadness
Even if someone has murdered another person, I don't believe in having the death penalty. If someone is murdered, and the suspect is sent to jail after being found guilty, you don't just kill them. You ask them why they did it and show them why they were wrong. If you kill someone who's killed someone, the victims death is null. It seems as though it meant nothing, if by thinking that killing that suffering soul who killed them will make up for the great life they might have had ahead of them. It is best to make the person who murdered, attone for his wrongful act. Make the difference he made in the world, worth that of what the life of the person they killed could have been. Kill the spiders to save the butterflies. It seems rational at first, until you realize you've become a spider yourself.

if somebody kills a person, its not likely that they're willing to make amends for the person that they have murdered. not everybody has the kin of morals we have, and they would undoubtedly not have murdered the person if they did in the first place. i dont believe that two wrongs make a right, but in these situations i believe that these ppl must be put to death.  
PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2006 1:33 pm
if u kill you will be killed so in that case the death penalty is a just technique of punishement. The only problem is the appeal time which should made longer. rofl sweatdrop  

idontknow512

bluecherry
Vice Captain

PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2006 4:05 pm

But as has been brought up before, even with all the appeals time, even if you extended it, there still have been times where people have been found innocent much later on due to new evidence. Death penalty may work for an equal exchange punishment in cases where beyond a doubt you KNOW somebody did something, like with Saddam Hussein, but in other cases you have a crime committed that would merit punishment by death, however, the question becomes "who did it?", and you may not always have 100% guaranteed proof that the person who you think did it and looks like did it really DID do it.
User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2006 12:56 am
cool i'm lost for words. it took minutes to comphrehend. That is why there should be years for appeal to make sure the person that did it is surely recognised. Then we can tell that his/her penalty is justified. razz sweatdrop  

idontknow512

bluecherry
Vice Captain

PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2006 12:10 pm

But how long is a sufficient amount of time for appeals? After all, some crimes it's taken decades for technology to advance enough to reveal new aspects and truths from evidence or for a person to be found and finally willing to give information.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2006 6:01 pm
idontknow512
cool i'm lost for words. it took minutes to comphrehend. That is why there should be years for appeal to make sure the person that did it is surely recognised. Then we can tell that his/her penalty is justified. razz sweatdrop

...and make the death penalty even more expensive. If we extended the appeals process, I'd suggest that we get rid of the deah penalty altogether. It's already expensive as it is, but with a longer appeals process, it isn't worth spending that much money on someone.  

Der Freischuetz

TempestRising

PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2006 6:44 pm
I personally think that the appeals process should be shorter. We're giving these criminals years of free time in jail living off of our tax money. I think everyone should get one appeal, and one appeal only, if they are still guilty then their punishment comes that much sooner.  
PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2006 8:46 pm
But then you again risk killing innocent people. gonk

bluecherry
Vice Captain

Der Freischuetz

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2006 8:26 am
I'd like to see actual numbers of innocent people who were wrongly executed, just to get a percentage.  
PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2006 12:56 pm
bluecherry
But then you again risk killing innocent people. gonk

No matter how many appeals people go through there is always the possibility that an innocent person will be convicted of a crime. There probably arn't a gret number of peole found innocent after they were found guilty at their original trial and their first appeal anyway. So we would just speeding the inevitable.  

TempestRising

AbraFilo

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2007 1:19 pm
Why do we kill people who kill people to prove that killing people is wrong?  
PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2007 5:18 pm
Abra Filo

Because, to us, a life sentence just doesn't seem like enough. What's the chance that the criminal will actually realize what they did is wrong, or if they already know what they did is wrong? They proved that they can't be trusted, so why should we keep them around?  

Der Freischuetz

NOCTVRNVS

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2007 9:48 pm
AbraFilo

We don't. We kill MURDERERS to show that MURDER is wrong.

Thread over.

Der Freischuetz
Because, to us, a life sentence just doesn't seem like enough. What's the chance that the criminal will actually realize what they did is wrong, or if they already know what they did is wrong?

Exactly. Or they just kill themselves in jail anyway. If someone's in jail and they know they're never getting out -- ESPECIALLY when that person has already murdered -- they are a dangerous person. Dangerous to everyone else in that jail. What often happens is, they will try to kill another inmate so that they will be shot and get it over with... except, sometimes they succeed.

What difference does it make to them...  
PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2007 8:30 pm
Everyday that passes, and with every news program, newspaper, web blog, talk show, commercial, political ad campaign, liquid brained junkie I see, I believe more and more that THERE ARE circumstances and a large assortment of them where the "Death Penalty" is in fact THE ONLY JUSTICE.

The SADDEST injustice is like so many have stated already, is the FACT that the "Death Penalty" is in fact a JOKE!

Depending on which country or state that you may live, this could mean either the criminal will get 20 yrs with a chance of parole (some occasions less), or worst case scenario spend 40+years feeding like a parasite off of our consciences, relaxing in a secure, somewhat controlled environment with TV times, exercise facilities, food, shelter, medicine etc.

AND YET there are people homeless...

I say kill the ones that are MONSTERS, put the others to work (let them build their own shelter), and give the prisons to the homeless to rehabilitate them with the food, shelter, healthcare, education, counselling etc., that is so preciously provided for the vermin of our societies.

With justice so inconsistent and even non-existent at times, there's very little fear of consequence resulting in more of these offenders being found everyday.
Maybe the "real reason" that the amount of these types of crimes that could/should result in the death penalty being enforced, has risen is because we have (for the most part) done away with the death penalty?

Kindred Kind

emeraldgreen3

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2007 11:00 am
I FEEL IT IS WRONG !!!! NO HUMAN BEING HAS THE RIGHT TO KILL ANOTHER HUMAN BEING, FOR TWO WRONGS DON'T MAKE A WRITE !!!!! WE CAN'T KILL THEM BACK!!!!!!! THAT'S NOT WHAT GOD WANTS !!!!!! WHO ARE WE TO THINK WE CAN KILL WHO SO EVER KILLS SOMEONE ELSE!!!!! WE'RE NOT GOD, THATS NOT OUR PLACE !!!!!! & IF U THINK THE DEATH PENALTY IS RIGHT THEN GOD SHOULD HAVE KILLED US ALL, FOR WE HAVE ALL SINNED!!!!!!  
11: The Intelligent Cogitation: For the Master Debaters

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 6 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff