be legal
  some of them should be legal
  other
  poll whore
View Results

bluecherry
Vice Captain

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2006 3:41 pm

But then if they don't learn and get their acts together, it's their own fault when they come to ruins and/or death. That's about the long and the short of it.
User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2006 5:36 pm
i dont know about other drugs, but i think marijuana should be legalized. it has the potential for medical breakthroughs and its really only illegal because the government cant tax it. besides, its one of the few drugs that cant kill you by overdosing. (for more information on reforming marijuana laws, see www.NORML.com )  

shadow_alchemist92

Der Freischuetz

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2006 6:12 pm
bluecherry

But then if they don't learn and get their acts together, it's their own fault when they come to ruins and/or death. That's about the long and the short of it.

Why do you think the State made drugs illegal in the first place? Because they're bad. People shouldn't have to learn for themselves when someone is telling them that it's bad. Plus, the State prefers its citizens to be in the best health so that the citizens can actually contribute something to the nation, rather than a bunch of stoned idiots.  
PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2006 1:41 am
I am probably a lot older then the majority of those of you responding to this post. I was born in 1965 so I have had a lot of life for drugs to scew up and a lot of life to watch drugs screw other peoples lives up.

Marajuana is in a different catagory in my opinion due to the fact that it can be grown next to you basil and tomatoes. There is a lot of debate that marajuana will lead to harsher drugs, here i disagree. What leads to harsher drugs is the peers and connections you associate with.

If anything tobacco is the worst. I started smoking as a teen and in my early 40's find it the only thing i am unable to quit. I quit coke, crank, hash, and everything else i every did or tried when i became pregnant and became a mother. I did this without treatment programs etc., which not many people can do. I watched as my compadres lost their children their lives, their jobs.

IF I SAY ANYTHING, JUST DON'T DO IT. DON'T EVEN START. IT HAS NEGATIVELY AFFECTED MY LIFE ENOUGH FOR GENERATIONS OF MY OWN FAMILY. TAKE HEED.

I am now sick with hep c and am on disability and probably will not work again due to side affects of interfereon the rx for hep c. Just don't risk it. The drugs today are being made in peoples bathtubs with who knows what kinds of chemicals and there are no medical studies as to the lasting affects of this on the body. I am sure you have all seen pictures of meth addicts. For yorself, your family and socity of tomorrow please don't. I am counting on you to run our country in the near future, not a bunch of meth heads.  

GypsyFoxglove

bluecherry
Vice Captain

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2006 7:44 am
Der Freischuetz
bluecherry

Why do you think the State made drugs illegal in the first place? Because they're bad. People shouldn't have to learn for themselves when someone is telling them that it's bad. Plus, the State prefers its citizens to be in the best health so that the citizens can actually contribute something to the nation, rather than a bunch of stoned idiots.

But it's not the governments job to protect us from ourselves. They should protect us from other people and not try to make the decisions in our lives for us. Encourage people to make good choices, give them the information to make the decisions well informed, but ultimately it is up to them what they choose to do. Drugs being illegal isn't just telling them it's bad since they then can exert force upon people who didn't make the decsion they see as best. Most people will still not be in and out of hosptals every other day from over-dosing because it's just not in their own best interest. You have to just accept people have the right to decide what to do with their lives and count on them to make good decisions. Most will for ther own sakes -- give people at least SOME credit -- so because of this the country could keep going on and not come to a meltdown and those who don't are responsible for themselves.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2006 8:32 am
bluecherry

But it's not the governments job to protect us from ourselves. They should protect us from other people and not try to make the decisions in our lives for us. Encourage people to make good choices, give them the information to make the decisions well informed, but ultimately it is up to them what they choose to do. Drugs being illegal isn't just telling them it's bad since they then can exert force upon people who didn't make the decsion they see as best. Most people will still not be in and out of hosptals every other day from over-dosing because it's just not in their own best interest. You have to just accept people have the right to decide what to do with their lives and count on them to make good decisions. Most will for ther own sakes -- give people at least SOME credit -- so because of this the country could keep going on and not come to a meltdown and those who don't are responsible for themselves.

So making drugs legal would supposedly fix all of the problems we're having now? Even if people are supposed to be responsible for themselves, they can end up affecting other people because of their problems. It can become everyone else's problem. The Government is educating people on why drugs are bad, and they make them illegal so that if they catch people with drugs they can say, "We told you they're bad, now why aren't you listening?" Really, it's for their own sake. How many people actually can learn something on their own? What will it take to get them to realize that durgs are bad? Get HIV from an used needle? More money wasted on a person who knows they're good as dead.

I prefer prevention of such things. People should actually listen to figures of authority because hey, they actually know something.  

Der Freischuetz

GypsyFoxglove

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2006 12:52 pm
Why do you think they call it addiction? Because eventually it will take away your personal choice and only the drugs will talk to your mind and body. By that time its too late, the government can't save your soul all they can do is try to intervene before addiction takes place and all your capacity of personal choice has been lost to this thing called addiction. If you feel it should be legalized so badly, you don't have to wait it's all available now for you to indulge yourself. If you have no desire then maybe you should not be speaking on this topic and leave it for those who have lost their lives to addiciton and walked the walk and let them tell you whether it should be legal or not. It's like a drug and alcohol counselor trying to counsel addicts, who have never walked in their shoes. THere is no common ground, you have absolutly no understanding of the magnitude of the seriousness of the situation.  
PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2006 3:25 pm
ive never personally been addicted to a drug, but i recntly did a report on drugs and drug addictions, and from what ive gathered, NatziSweetzi is right. you have almost no personal choice after a while. like i said, ive never personally been there, but thats what ive gathered from government websites, recovered addicts, and rehab centers  

shadow_alchemist92

Der Freischuetz

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2006 6:26 pm
One other thing I feel to add: it seems counterproductive to make drugs legal and yet encourage people not to take them. "Yes, they are bad for you, but you can take them anyway!"  
PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2006 7:36 pm

I want them legal not because I think they are good but to make people responsible for themselves. You've got to make a the right choices before it's "too late" and you are at a point you can't go back potentialy (or at least it would be very hard) but you can still have rehabilitation facilities around for people to use. I just want them to be privately owned rehabilitation centers though and not governement owned. Just because something is a bad choice is not reason enough to make it illegal. It has to be something that is violating another person's rights to be illegal. Laws (and governments themselves) are to protect rights. As for if people do things while on drugs that violate laws, those violations are still subject to legal consequences. Consider that if somebody had not slept in three days then drove and crashed into another car, it was a bad decision to try to drive when you are that tired, but it's crashing into another person's car that will have legal consequences, not making it illegal to go three days without sleeping in case you do bad things while tired.

bluecherry
Vice Captain

liquid06

Friendly Regular

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2006 9:23 pm
Personally, I see drugs, alcohol, cigarettes and anything else that's bad for a person as a personal choice. I think the government should take some of their money (I don't know what they do for prevention now) but instead of making drugs illegal (besides driving under the influence), I think they should focus on the other side: prevention and education. I'm sure they do some of that now, but in the PR and in the daily practice, I think it would make more sense for us to see less busts and more advertising. The tobacco industry is one example of how suddenly the companies involved have to take on some of the responsibility and educate their customers. The drug industry would probably be similar if it was legalized. The only time they would need to bust is if someone was DUI.

I live in Tucson, AZ, and we can't throw rave parties here because of city regulations. Phoenix parties often get broken up and ruined because someone's always selling drugs. An art exhibit that took place in the town of Oracle was mistaken for a rave and broken up, in quite a rude manner at that! The Tucson Weekly did a cover story about it. http://www.tucsonweekly.com/gbase/Arts/Content?oid=oid:86694.

Maybe if drugs were converted ultimately to a personal responsibility instead of a government responsibility we wouldn't have problems like this for all of us night owls who like nighttime events...and electronic music.

And no, I have never used any drug.  
PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2006 12:49 am

*agrees* 3nodding

bluecherry
Vice Captain

Gab015

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2006 2:13 am
drugs = bad
some kinds of alchohol = goooooood  
PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2006 8:03 am
liquid06
Personally, I see drugs, alcohol, cigarettes and anything else that's bad for a person as a personal choice. I think the government should take some of their money (I don't know what they do for prevention now) but instead of making drugs illegal (besides driving under the influence), I think they should focus on the other side: prevention and education. I'm sure they do some of that now, but in the PR and in the daily practice, I think it would make more sense for us to see less busts and more advertising. The tobacco industry is one example of how suddenly the companies involved have to take on some of the responsibility and educate their customers. The drug industry would probably be similar if it was legalized. The only time they would need to bust is if someone was DUI.

I live in Tucson, AZ, and we can't throw rave parties here because of city regulations. Phoenix parties often get broken up and ruined because someone's always selling drugs. An art exhibit that took place in the town of Oracle was mistaken for a rave and broken up, in quite a rude manner at that! The Tucson Weekly did a cover story about it. http://www.tucsonweekly.com/gbase/Arts/Content?oid=oid:86694.

Maybe if drugs were converted ultimately to a personal responsibility instead of a government responsibility we wouldn't have problems like this for all of us night owls who like nighttime events...and electronic music.

And no, I have never used any drug.

I will say this again: it is counter-productive to make drugs legal and encourage people not to take them. You either make them legal or you keep them illegal. Prevention and education while making them legal will have no effect on what people do.

You're saying that rave parties wouldn't be ruined if drugs were legal? So? Get over it. It's against the law to sell drugs. If the Government says it's illegal to buy or sell drugs, then it's illegal, no questions asked. (Male prohibita.)  

Der Freischuetz

liquid06

Friendly Regular

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2006 11:48 am
Sorry, was I whining? I'll just change my lifestyle to comply with what you say.  
11: The Intelligent Cogitation: For the Master Debaters

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 6 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff