AstronomyGirl

Planetary Astronomer

57,900 Points
  • Conventioneer 300
  • That One Hero 500
  • Planetary Technician 150
PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2006 6:21 pm
xXmike_owns_youXx
Black holes suck in matter, and can even distort light and radio waves. They also evaporate subatomic particles, which are matter. They aren't completely sucking everything in, they are merely shredding the matter and turning it back into its basic building blocks. But they also expand. Black holes are formed from the deaths of stars, from supernovas. We already can assume from the radio waves that we read that the universe was also created from an enormous explosion, and that it is also expanding. Could that mean that black holes might simply be the doorways into alternate universes?

It has been theorized ever since black holes were discovered that they were gateways to other universes.
What you said before it doesn't really connect with that though, and seems rather flawed. Not sure if all that is true.  
PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2006 3:04 am
AstronomyGirl
xXmike_owns_youXx
Black holes suck in matter, and can even distort light and radio waves. They also evaporate subatomic particles, which are matter. They aren't completely sucking everything in, they are merely shredding the matter and turning it back into its basic building blocks. But they also expand. Black holes are formed from the deaths of stars, from supernovas. We already can assume from the radio waves that we read that the universe was also created from an enormous explosion, and that it is also expanding. Could that mean that black holes might simply be the doorways into alternate universes?

It has been theorized ever since black holes were discovered that they were gateways to other universes.
What you said before it doesn't really connect with that though, and seems rather flawed. Not sure if all that is true.

hmmm. In a certain way, we have to realise we don't know everything about them. IF they are doorways to (an) other universe(s), in that universe our physic laws maybe don't work and if that's so, Black holes are between two different systems of physic laws which makes them for us, extremely unpredictable. On the other hand, a lot in our universe already can not be predicted with the classical mechanics and we need already QM or relativity theory to describe them. Note that the link between QM and relativity (very fast very small partikels) can't be descriped yet. Predicting what a black hole does and is, is (my opinion) very inaccurate. But very useful, because they can help us discover all those things...  

The_Bartner

AstronomyGirl

Planetary Astronomer

57,900 Points
  • Conventioneer 300
  • That One Hero 500
PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2006 1:56 pm
The_Bartner

hmmm. In a certain way, we have to realise we don't know everything about them. IF they are doorways to (an) other universe(s), in that universe our physic laws maybe don't work and if that's so, Black holes are between two different systems of physic laws which makes them for us, extremely unpredictable. On the other hand, a lot in our universe already can not be predicted with the classical mechanics and we need already QM or relativity theory to describe them. Note that the link between QM and relativity (very fast very small partikels) can't be descriped yet. Predicting what a black hole does and is, is (my opinion) very inaccurate. But very useful, because they can help us discover all those things...
3nodding Indeed. As of right now, our law of physics "break down" in a black hole. We can only guess what's in or even "beyond" them.  
PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2006 1:46 pm
i just recently watch the science channel and saw that there are super massive black holes.  

goofy21

Profitable Tycoon

7,100 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Tycoon 200
  • Millionaire 200

AstronomyGirl

Planetary Astronomer

57,900 Points
  • Conventioneer 300
  • That One Hero 500
PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2006 1:08 pm
goofy21
i just recently watch the science channel and saw that there are super massive black holes.

Yep. 3nodding It is believed that there is one in the center of most galaxies. They are super massive in the sence that they are 100x the mass of the sun, while regular ones are just a few times the mass of the sun.  
PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2006 11:08 pm
http://www.astronomy.com/asy/default.aspx?c=a&id=4714

http://www.astronomy.com/asy/default.aspx?c=a&id=4710  

Endrael

Codger

Ayniu

Fashionable Raider

9,300 Points
  • Love Machine 150
  • V-Day 2011 Event 100
  • Object of Affection 150
PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2007 6:23 pm
I've always been interested in black holes. It's interesting that nothing (supposedly) come come out of them, not even radio waves. Imagine if a black hole were to form near our planet. whee sweatdrop  
PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2007 7:51 pm
Sayer of the Truth
I've always been interested in black holes. It's interesting that nothing (supposedly) come come out of them, not even radio waves. Imagine if a black hole were to form near our planet. whee sweatdrop

well radio waves are light after all, and not even light can escpae a black hole.
Fortunatly for us there are no big stars near our solar system so we'll never have to worry abotu there being a black hole near us.  

AstronomyGirl

Planetary Astronomer

57,900 Points
  • Conventioneer 300
  • That One Hero 500

UF6

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2007 7:13 pm
AstronomyGirl
Sayer of the Truth

well radio waves are light after all, and not even light can escpae a black hole.
Fortunately for us there are no big stars near our solar system so we'll never have to worry about there being a black hole near us.
true, does not mean the wonder the galaxy at the present time we know little of were they are other than the center of the galaxies.  
PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2007 7:27 pm
Steven Hawkings
AstronomyGirl
Sayer of the Truth

Fortunately for us there are no big stars near our solar system so we'll never have to worry about there being a black hole near us.
true, does not mean the wonder the galaxy at the present time we know little of were they are other than the center of the galaxies.

True that is it possible that a black hole could end up comming near us in it's orbit around the center of the galaxy, but then we dont' see any big stars that could form one, or any evidence of a black hole anywhere near us, let alone moving towards us to really have to worry about that happening.  

AstronomyGirl

Planetary Astronomer

57,900 Points
  • Conventioneer 300
  • That One Hero 500

UF6

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2007 6:37 pm
AstronomyGirl
Steven Hawkings
AstronomyGirl
Sayer of the Truth

True that is it possible that a black hole could end up coming near us in it's orbit around the center of the galaxy, but then we don't' see any big stars that could form one, or any evidence of a black hole anywhere near us, let alone moving towards us to really have to worry about that happening.
No we don't since we are two thirds the way out and most mass is in the center, and most stars larger than us is most likely near the center. O on the other side, or out of our spectrum view. Though this is just another thing to solve or should I say on going.  
PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2007 7:06 pm
Steven Hawkings
AstronomyGirl
Steven Hawkings
AstronomyGirl
Sayer of the Truth

True that is it possible that a black hole could end up coming near us in it's orbit around the center of the galaxy, but then we don't' see any big stars that could form one, or any evidence of a black hole anywhere near us, let alone moving towards us to really have to worry about that happening.
No we don't since we are two thirds the way out and most mass is in the center, and most stars larger than us is most likely near the center. O on the other side, or out of our spectrum view. Though this is just another thing to solve or should I say on going.

mhm. Right now there are more pressing things to look out for, like asteroids or comets that may hit us. It's more likely of something like that comming along.
And that's ignoring all the human caused things. What's worring about black holes and asteriods when we might somday blow ourselves off the face of the earth in some nuclear war. rolleyes  

AstronomyGirl

Planetary Astronomer

57,900 Points
  • Conventioneer 300
  • That One Hero 500

UF6

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2007 7:55 pm
AstronomyGirl
Steven Hawkings
AstronomyGirl
Steven Hawkings
AstronomyGirl
Sayer of the Truth

mhm. Right now there are more pressing things to look out for, like asteroids or comets that may hit us. It's more likely of something like that comming along.
And that's ignoring all the human caused things. What's worring about black holes and asteroids when we might someday blow ourselves off the face of the earth in some nuclear war. rolleyes
I think over population
is the threat at hand, to many people means massive die offs. I hate what the government for treating near Earth objects as jokes, though I expect that from lazy congressmen.  
PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2007 2:12 pm
im gonna say they are because steven hawkings proved it and they dont take everything to a void where theres nothingness  

ChaosAngel00

ChaosAngel00

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2007 2:17 pm
Steven Hawkings
AstronomyGirl
Steven Hawkings
AstronomyGirl
Steven Hawkings

And that's ignoring all the human caused things. What's worring about black holes and asteroids when we might someday blow ourselves off the face of the earth in some nuclear war. rolleyes
I think over population
is the threat at hand, to many people means massive die offs. I hate what the government for treating near Earth objects as jokes, though I expect that from lazy congressmen.
'
we know of one asteroid heading towards earth but it wont hit for another 887 years and by then we will have the tech P.S. watch the science channle ppl P.S.S.and asteriod could coem from nowhere depending on the angle and wheres its comign from cause the suns light may not be able to reflect off of it  
72: Science & Astronomy Hangout

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 6 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff