Welcome to Gaia! ::

Trainer Prep - Ordell Academy

Back to Guilds

The preparatory School to ready students to the world of Pokémon as Trainers, Coordinators, Breeders and other fields 

Tags: Pokemon, Competition, Battle, Romance, School life 

Reply Trainer Prep
Suggestion Box Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 6 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Hope the kind

Friendly Gaian

12,925 Points
  • Autobiographer 200
  • Hygienic 200
  • Person of Interest 200
PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2016 11:10 pm
Here is an idea for a potential future:
A scavenger hunt with a random partner ^^
It could be a fun little thing that can build some friendships among characters as well as getting to know said character.  
PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2016 11:30 pm
Shadow of Miracles

There is no difference between what you suggest and what is currently already in the rules. Therefore I must decline this suggestion.

there is actually quite a difference between the two.

current chance is like this:
As long as one roll above 5, then they are safe.
it gives a sense of safety, if I have to compare, this will be when you are given a box, told there's 5 red ball and 5 blue ball to pick.
how do you feel about your chance when you are presented this?
"50%? oh, doesn't seem hard"

Evens,odds, looks like this:
There's no 'safe' there as it doesn't matter whether you roll low or high.
in comparison to the box, this is a coin flips. heads or tails. that's it.
don't you feel your chance seems lower then the above?
(you can hit a mine with a mere difference of 1 number)

I suggest this because in practice there's really time when someone can roll low all the time and high all the time.
with this method, it is remedied due to even distribution of chance.

both theoretically has possibility of 5/10 chance, 50%
but as you can see, it gives different distribution and psychological pressure.  

amarzyciel

Merry Traveler

Shadow of Miracles
Captain

Friendly Seeker

6,800 Points
  • Member 100
  • Forum Explorer 100
  • Treasure Hunter 100
PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2016 12:12 am
amarzyciel
Shadow of Miracles

There is no difference between what you suggest and what is currently already in the rules. Therefore I must decline this suggestion.

there is actually quite a difference between the two.

current chance is like this:
As long as one roll above 5, then they are safe.
it gives a sense of safety, if I have to compare, this will be when you are given a box, told there's 5 red ball and 5 blue ball to pick.
how do you feel about your chance when you are presented this?
"50%? oh, doesn't seem hard"

Evens,odds, looks like this:
There's no 'safe' there as it doesn't matter whether you roll low or high.
in comparison to the box, this is a coin flips. heads or tails. that's it.
don't you feel your chance seems lower then the above?
(you can hit a mine with a mere difference of 1 number)

I suggest this because in practice there's really time when someone can roll low all the time and high all the time.
with this method, it is remedied due to even distribution of chance.

both theoretically has possibility of 5/10 chance, 50%
but as you can see, it gives different distribution and psychological pressure.

The only difference I see is perspective. In the end, the chances are the same. In both scenarios you explain that's still a 50% chance for each one.

Even if you say something like, "All I need is 6 or above to be safe," that still leaves you with five numbers that will make you not safe.

If you go even and odds, there are still five even numbers and five odd numbers. Which again gives you the same result and same thought process, "All I need is 1,3,5,7,9 to be safe."

Besides, its easier to do it this way; 1-5 = get hit, 6-10 = don't get hit. Adding the whole "psychological pressure" is unnecessary.

So -again- I will refuse this suggestion because its does not benefit the system nor does it change it in any way.  
PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2016 12:22 am
Shadow of Miracles

alright C:
thanks for replying and reading  

amarzyciel

Merry Traveler

Shadow of Miracles
Captain

Friendly Seeker

6,800 Points
  • Member 100
  • Forum Explorer 100
  • Treasure Hunter 100
PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2016 12:35 am
amarzyciel
Shadow of Miracles

alright C:
thanks for replying and reading

However, what I can do is use your suggestion to determine the number of turns a pokemon stays confused.

Since when a pokemon is confused it can stay confuse for 1-5 turns. So we'll just give players a 50% chance to snap out of confusion each turn.

The whole confusion mechanics can be very punishing so this should somewhat even it out.

Even though it wasn't like how you expected, thank you for your suggestion. This will be added to the guide momentarily.  
PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2016 2:07 am
Shadow of Miracles

However, what I can do is use your suggestion to determine the number of turns a pokemon stays confused.

Since when a pokemon is confused it can stay confuse for 1-5 turns. So we'll just give players a 50% chance to snap out of confusion each turn.

The whole confusion mechanics can be very punishing so this should somewhat even it out.

Even though it wasn't like how you expected, thank you for your suggestion. This will be added to the guide momentarily.

I think they are more annoyance than anything. 50% chance isn't very threatening.
giving another 50% chance to snap out of confusion will favor too much toward the inflicted.
perhaps giving a set turns that confusion will last will do?
or maybe on the 2nd or 3rd turn they can roll the chance to snap out of confusion rather than on each turn?

EDIT: compared to confusion, sleep is much more a pain to deal with =.=  

amarzyciel

Merry Traveler

Shadow of Miracles
Captain

Friendly Seeker

6,800 Points
  • Member 100
  • Forum Explorer 100
  • Treasure Hunter 100
PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2016 9:53 am
amarzyciel
Shadow of Miracles

I think they are more annoyance than anything. 50% chance isn't very threatening.
giving another 50% chance to snap out of confusion will favor too much toward the inflicted.
perhaps giving a set turns that confusion will last will do?
or maybe on the 2nd or 3rd turn they can roll the chance to snap out of confusion rather than on each turn?

EDIT: compared to confusion, sleep is much more a pain to deal with =.=

The rule will not be changed. Battles have barely been lasting 4 turns since people started battling. If we give confuse status a set number of turns then it makes thing complicated and unfair especially since battles are not fought using HP bars and are judged instead  
PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2016 7:06 pm
Shadow of Miracles

The rule will not be changed. Battles have barely been lasting 4 turns since people started battling. If we give confuse status a set number of turns then it makes thing complicated and unfair especially since battles are not fought using HP bars and are judged instead

I see, I understand that it won't do for confusion to last too long.
the addition of chance to recover is good, however,
the current rule makes it 75% inflicted will not take damage with ratio:
50% inflicted will snapped out, 25% inflicted will both negate damage and snapped out
the leave 25% for confusion status to work

dont you think that's too much? sweatdrop
I suggest the chance to snap out should occur on high number roll of 6,8,and 10 of a single dice roll.
so inflicted need only to roll one dice, if their pokemon managed to not damage itself, it has 50% chance to recover

it will balance it back to 50% chance of confusion damage
50% of no damage in which 25% inside of it chance to snap out of confusion

edit: sorry for the many quote notices . . .
I am using phone and ended up spotting mistake after I hit submit multiple times.  

amarzyciel

Merry Traveler

Shadow of Miracles
Captain

Friendly Seeker

6,800 Points
  • Member 100
  • Forum Explorer 100
  • Treasure Hunter 100
PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2016 9:04 pm
amarzyciel
Shadow of Miracles

I see, I understand that it won't do for confusion to last too long.
the addition of chance to recover is good, however,
the current rule makes it 75% inflicted will not take damage with ratio:
50% inflicted will snapped out, 25% inflicted will both negate damage and snapped out
the leave 25% for confusion status to work

dont you think that's too much? sweatdrop
I suggest the chance to snap out should occur on high number roll of 6,8,and 10 of a single dice roll.
so inflicted need only to roll one dice, if their pokemon managed to not damage itself, it has 50% chance to recover

it will balance it back to 50% chance of confusion damage
50% of no damage in which 25% inside of it chance to snap out of confusion

edit: sorry for the many quote notices . . .
I am using phone and ended up spotting mistake after I hit submit multiple times.

I get what you are saying, but here is the thing. Confusion status is one of those trick mechanics in Pokemon that many people in the competitive pokemon world have mixed feelings about. Certain move combinations that use confusion have been banned due to this tricky thing. And many people agree that it's just annoying and a pain in the buttocks to deal with.

This is not what I want for the battle system in the guild. I'd rather give the members an edge over confusion than hinder them.

My decision stays and this topic is officially finished. Personally, I feel that too much effort/debate is being placed on this topic when that energy can be placed somewhere else.

Do not bring this topic up again because it is concluded, my decision remains and I will not be changing it any time soon or at all.

If you have other suggestions for the guild (which are not about the status ailment confuse) then please feel free to post them here.  
PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2016 8:54 am
Shadow of Miracles

I get what you are saying, but here is the thing. Confusion status is one of those trick mechanics in Pokemon that many people in the competitive pokemon world have mixed feelings about. Certain move combinations that use confusion have been banned due to this tricky thing. And many people agree that it's just annoying and a pain in the buttocks to deal with.

This is not what I want for the battle system in the guild. I'd rather give the members an edge over confusion than hinder them.

My decision stays and this topic is officially finished. Personally, I feel that too much effort/debate is being placed on this topic when that energy can be placed somewhere else.

Do not bring this topic up again because it is concluded, my decision remains and I will not be changing it any time soon or at all.

If you have other suggestions for the guild (which are not about the status ailment confuse) then please feel free to post them here.

yes, I won't say anything anymore on the matter.
that was enlightening, since I don't play competitively nor following news on how people feel about some moves.
I personally like to inflict confusion on in-game battle. they are too useful not to use.

I respect that this guild uphold fair battle.
even if I have a bit unease in some part, I won't be saying anything on that anymore.

=====
a little question, do you have plan to add status reduction into status effect?
like attack reduction during burn status, etc.

P.S: about that ice shard that I have Cyril used in battle class.
I don't make assumption on that, I have asked the question on priority move before in questionaire thread.

amarzyciel

Merry Traveler

Shadow of Miracles
Captain

Friendly Seeker

6,800 Points
  • Member 100
  • Forum Explorer 100
  • Treasure Hunter 100
PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2016 11:48 am
amarzyciel

Status reductions are all things to be considered during the judging process.

Please refrain from asking questions in the suggestion topic. We have a topic dedicated to answering member's questions. Thank you.  
PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2016 11:50 am
Hope the kind
Here is an idea for a potential future:
A scavenger hunt with a random partner ^^
It could be a fun little thing that can build some friendships among characters as well as getting to know said character.

I apologize for not seeing this suggestion sooner.

Yes, I do think that is a great idea ^^

we will definitely try to do something similar in the future so that players have more chances to RP with different partners 3nodding  

Shadow of Miracles
Captain

Friendly Seeker

6,800 Points
  • Member 100
  • Forum Explorer 100
  • Treasure Hunter 100

SoundVVave

Anxious Marshmallow

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2016 9:10 pm
So a small idea regarding maybe a campus store AND a way to give the students money to buy pokeballs~

Money:
So there's a boarding school near here that has the rule that you aren't allowed to leave campus unless you have the grades. The idea is that once the student shows good behavior (showing up to class and all that), they are allowed to be sent money to buy things from campus (maybe shops from the city). These things aren't necessities, which is something the school provides, but more extras.
To keep it fair, a student is only allowed to be sent a set amount each time skip. This is so everyone gets the same amount and no one needs to go study the wealth status of all the students XD

School Shop:
This place could sell basics (pokeballs, berries for the pokemon to hold, maybe some items) and maybe even an occasional rare item. Limited stock or have it last like a day or two.

Shadow of Miracles

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2016 10:14 pm
Good evening everyone. I hope you all are doing well. I do have some suggestions and it's with the rules. The reason why I bring the matter up is because there was a recent matter discussed elsewhere that was primarily a joke, but taken out of context because of an issue that everyone ultimately faces when online: Ambiguity

Words are vague when you cannot see the exact appearance of the other individual before you to determine how they are acting. So when I say that your rules are very unclear, I mean it with sincerity and not a form of an attack. I read over some of them and here are a few that I believe can use some definite rewording because I am positive that others will join the guild and not catch on to what you're looking for. I should know because I had a profile that covered something not even touched upon in the rules. Here is something minor first:

Colors:

Colors are pretty and all, but some of them are a bit too bright, the pink and yellow especially, even with the Bold option. If it's a color that you all prefer, This is the link that I use that has a broader depth of colors to use.

Most of them are self-explanatory and should not cause any particular concern, but I look to the situation that unfolded for me beforehand and even when you added the new rule, there still are vague spots that someone can unknowingly take advantage of and the words.

Quote:
"If you have any plans with your character that involve some form of violence, school misconduct (such as skipping class), vandalism, or juvenile conduct then please PM the Guild Captain, Shadow of Miracles, before going through with any of these actions. Failure to do so can result in a warning and if it continues to happen then your character will be removed from the guild. The guild understands that misconduct is a part of most child/teenagers life and if you would like your character to go through such an experience then you must speak with the Captain so you may discuss what is allowed and what is "too much".

As I mentioned regarding vague wording, this right here definitely takes it. The reason for why this is unclear is not because of the particular subjects you mentioned such as juvenile conduct, but School Misconduct itself. Of course, I would hope more than anything that nobody would go as far as to try something over the top, but as the topic was brought up, School Misconduct is too broad of a term because first and foremost, a school itself follows not a universal code, but a district policy (Example: A private school may have slightly similar principles to that of a nearby public school, but their rules can be different because they do not abide under the same jurisdiction, therefore their code of conduct ultimately is different -Public school could have a lax rule about chewing gum but the private school may find it disruptive to learning if you so much as chew: similar, but different) and as someone who Majored in English and had to teach near their Senior Year (Had to do research on the matter), this needs to be made clear what can consist of going too far or what can count as being an accidental ruling because as mentioned, there will be the rowdy teen or kid, but it's basically implying in order to be that way, you must PM the Captain. When you have things like "May discuss what is allowed and what is too much," it's better to lay it out here and now so that the Captain would not be troubled in the near future of having to explain it out through Messages.

Suggestion:
Lay it out in the fullest what can and cannot be tolerated and will require a person to message the Captain. For example, saying something like: Having a tantrum is common, but if it gets to the point it will be extremely disruptive to the roleplay setting and you are looking for your character to perform an action that could be seen as potentially extreme, it is best to ask the Captain in advance" has a better effect than simply saying that School Misconduct in any form requires that you PM the Captain. You make it known in the rules then and there what you desire, what can be deemed as okay to use and what requires a Message in advance. You cannot take into account that everybody thinks the same way as you all do because again, words online are ambiguous.

Now we get to the situation that I was in because believe it or not, I think I know what you all want, but there are others who will read it and find another way around the situation.

Quote:
"Under no circumstance are any of the students allowed to say in their biography that their parents/siblings/cousins/familymembers/friends belong or used to belong to any of the antagonist groups in the Pokemon world (Team Rocket, Team Galactic, etc.). No student is allowed to say in their biography that their parents/siblings/cousins/familymembers/friends were part of the Missing Children. Lastly, no student is allowed to say in their biography that their parents/siblings/cousins/familymembers/friends were Gym Leaders/Elite Four/Champion."

How is this unclear? Well you stated that they cannot belong to any of the antagonist groups in the Pokemon World. What's to stop them from making their own antagonist group like being in a gang or something? Whether you all believe you did an effective job or not, someone could easily get by with saying their character likes the ideologies of these groups and because they like them, be it because they live in the area in which they preside and are still active, and you all never covered it in a rule, they will raise the question "How are you telling me what I can and cannot do and it's not in the rule?"

You then, unknowingly, create that situation that whatever a Mod says, goes and that creates hostility.

Suggestion: I have two:

Make it abundantly clear that they cannot mention any gang or team dealings. As you stated, kids/teens are rowdy and in these acts of rowdiness, some tend to be rebellious and when you have an Organization roaming around places they live, it would be hard to say they would not be influenced, especially if they want to act out against some personal wishes. It is better to say "You cannot mention in any form having a relation to any of the canonical teams or therefore creating one of your own" if you truly wish for them to get the message.

I am warning you in advance that there are those who recently joined who will find a way to loophole through this all, which is why I say to be fully clear of your intents because they can easily put you into that situation where you find yourself in a matter to which your rules never covered.

The other suggestion? Reading the timeline, maybe scratch it all out with the Organizations as they have clearly been beaten by the protagonists and should clearly pose no more of a threat for the time being. This also helps portray that the guild itself, story wise, is straying away from those subjects and would would highly appreciate them not being mentioned. 11 years with Organizations beat to the pulp would be more than enough for little kids to not know of the situation.

Classes:
Quote:
"There are a total of six classes available for students excluding Physical Education class a.k.a Gym (which is a mandatory class for everyone). These six classes are divided into morning and afternoon classes. Every student is only allowed to choose one morning class and one afternoon class from the six classes to take for the year. The classes are as following: morning classes [Battle Class, Coordinator/Performance Class, and Outdoor Class] and afternoon classes [Breeding Class, History of the World & Pokemon Class, and Technology & Science Class]. Once the student has decided on his or her classes then they may not be changed (unless there's a special circumstance) so choose carefully. If, for example, a student chooses Battle Class and Breeding Class for their first year that student may not choose those classes again for the following year. The student will have to choose another two classes from the list excluding the ones that the student has already passed.

In order to avoid too many students signing up for the same class and leaving other classes empty, there is a capacity of 5 students per class. This capacity might change and if it does then I will inform everyone about the change. To view information of each class go : here

UPDATE: The classroom capacity for each class has increase by 3 meaning that now there are a total of 8 students in each class."

This clearly is no longer seems to be the case because as a recent member who joined, I had my classes chosen for me because the class option was place under the part of the profile that stated not to touch it or stated that the information will be filled out later. If it's now meant for the mods to pick for the character, then it should made clear that it's the case and not that people can choose and ultimately be told they are not abiding by the rules of either the profile of the rule thread itself. I recall seeing this situation unfold with one profile and I think it will help in the long run if everyone knew whether they could choose or what are the courses presently remaining or suited to their character.

I think that covers some of the vague spots in the rules I saw. Now I am just going to have another suggestion:

Other Topics

I noticed how the rule was added 3 days ago, but not a single mention of it was made anywhere beforehand. You cannot expect everyone to keep going back to the rules to read because if nothing is made about changes being added beforehand, they most likely will assume nothing has been changed from what they read previously.

Suggestion: Make an announcement thread on the Main page. I see you all have one, but it has not been updated since the 7th and I am positive a lot has transpired recently. This helps notify everyone that something new has been added and on the offchance they do miss it, all you have to do is make a Guildwide announcement saying something along the lines of "Hey, we have some new announcements and changes implemented in light of recent events, please click here for those updates and should any questions arise, head over to the Question thread or PM one of the mods for more information"

That makes you appear more available and you do not have to slap up the "It is better to read the rules so that you don't make constant mistakes and nobody has time for that" because you eliminate the problem by making not just one, but three places known where you have made a change. New people that join wouldn't even have to worry about missing a thing because they can read the rules for the first time and if something additional has been changed, they can check the announcement page.

Furthermore, it is better to instead place the rules together instead of editing in that an update has been made on a new date. You can bold the word Update. That way, people can read what's recently been added and not think they have an entire book to read because of things like: Update (8/30, Update (7/24) or so forth. Keeping it altogether even works as the rules themselves are in their separate posts under different brackets.

The Main Page itself:

In truth, it's cluttered. A person could have a hard time navigating through most of that.

Suggestion: From one Mod to another, make a Rules Forum or a Forum dedicated to the Rules and all the other details such as asking questions, giving a suggestion, or even sharing some more of the guild's lore. This keeps the main page itself dedicated to having just the announcement page, OOC, Hiatus, and few other threads remaining on the front.

These are just suggestions I think could help make the guild appear much more cleaner and friendlier. If there are any more things that I notice, I will certainly bring it up.

Klayko

Blessed Tactician

Prairiefox
Vice Captain

Astral Bunny

21,275 Points
  • Lapin Patrol Avior: Victory! 50
  • Battle: Rogue 100
  • Summer Pride 100
PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2016 10:43 am
Klayko

Thank you for the suggestions and we understand many of these issues already.

However- while we were going to make an announcement when it was completed- the captain and crew have been working on a renovation this past week and a half on the rules, cover page and anywhere else that's needing updating so that they can be better understood as well as look neater.

Due to our busy work schedules it's been hectic to say the least but the updates are going to be posted soon and like I said an announcement will be made to make everyone aware of the changes. Thank you for noticing these problems but don't worry we're on top of it like King Kong on the Empire State Building (best metaphor I could come up with...)  
Trainer Prep

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 6 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff