Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Dungeons & Dragons Guild

Back to Guilds

A Dungeons & Dragons Roleplaying Guild - We have many active games, join requests are checked often, and everyone is accepted. 

Tags: Dungeons, Dragons, Roleplaying, Dungeons and Dragons 

Reply The Dungeons & Dragons Guild
Mythweavers is "Protesting" for 24 hours Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Suicidesoldier#1

Fanatical Zealot

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 2:51 pm
Mongooseh
No one is agreeing with you suicidesoldier. You seem a bit personally offended by myth-weavers going down. If you really need a sheet hoster try the tangled web.

THIS POST HAS BEEN CENSORED BY SOPA

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 2:54 pm
It will do well enough on its own without you. (site)  

Mongooseh

Distinct Raider

8,825 Points
  • Demonic Associate 100
  • Guildmember 100
  • Hellraiser 500

Rain Yupa
Captain

Enduring Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 3:03 pm
Captain Ragnar Devonin
Tone it down a little guys, it's just getting a wee bit too hostile, eh? smile

Anyway, this is raising awareness for SOPA and is seems to be doing exactly what these sites set out to do. How can I say this with such certainty?

Go pop on over Gizmodo. Actually, let me type the link...

m.gizmodo.com/5877219/sopa-outrage-is-breaking-the-senates-websites

So although you may not be reading these outage messages, many, many other people are and they are flocking to these websites in numbers that are slowing them to dial-up speeds or outright taking the entire sites offline.

In the days even leading up today, I don't remember anything like this having happened. It wasn't until these sites became available that such numbers were hitting the contact pages of the senate websites.

Just thought I'd toss that link out there, mostly.

Thank you for your input, Former Cap'n. The story you just linked to is actually a tad amusing, I have to say smile Hopefully, the senators notice.

I wonder if anyone is actually coordinating such efforts. *cough*Anonymous*cough* I'd be delighted if they were.

For the most part though, I simply decided to stop feeding the troll, and recommended to Mongooseh to do the same. I'm trying to keep tabs on the discussion, and will lock when and if it gets out of control.  
PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 3:37 pm

Suicidesoldier#1

Fanatical Zealot

Vorastrix

Hilarious Sage

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 3:42 pm
i kinda just wish they did what ctrl + alt + del did

plus, and i'm sure this has already been mentioned, lookit what gaia is doing...

an lol, lookit my sig....  
PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 3:47 pm
Snuffins
So like....this is really chafing me...
Why should I, as a citizen of the United Kingdom, be a victim of something the United States passes?
because the problem with the bill is it threatens the stability of the internet as a whole. it would allow corporations to turn off DNS servers, meaning entire websites just up and disappear.

Yes, america is not the whole internet, but it's a lot of the internet, and it's a lot of the big names on the internet. moreover, if DNS servers go down, people have to find ways around it, given the provisions of the bill, accessing IP addreses directly would still be possible, as may be using certain services and networks currently being used to bypass similar censorship in china, but both options present significant security risks, to all involved, and the latter would likely be made illegal shortly on the heels of these bills if it did catch on.

this whole protest is happening, not to protest american censorship, but to protest american censorship breaking the internet  

SporkMaster5000
Crew

Invisible Citizen

10,000 Points
  • Millionaire 200
  • Invisibility 100
  • Megathread 100

Seph Baelzara

Dedicated Gaian

12,050 Points
  • Beta Gaian 0
  • Beta Citizen 0
  • Elocutionist 200
PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 3:50 pm
Wikipedia, and Google shut down, or closed some of their services to show what a world with SOPA/PIPA would look like. Anything that may be subject to the bill could, and would shut down a site like Wikipedia. Gaia. Google. Reddit. You name it.

This bill can, and would shut down the internet. Its broad, vague, and sweeping wording, and its high costs would cause thousands, if not millions of servers to shut down service. And perhaps continue its way down straight to the very search engines and hop off points that Google, Wikipedia, Yahoo, Bing, and Ask.com are.

Think of those sites as basically alphabetizing the entropy that is the Dictionary called the internet.

Please stop being such a kid and whining.  
PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 3:52 pm
Suicidesoldier#1
irrisponsible, debatably.

stupid, no. a) people ******** know about this. A lot of people. A banner at the top? how many times did you read a personal appeal from [some jackass at wikipedia]? EVERYONE is paying some attention to this.
b) it worked.  

SporkMaster5000
Crew

Invisible Citizen

10,000 Points
  • Millionaire 200
  • Invisibility 100
  • Megathread 100

Mongooseh

Distinct Raider

8,825 Points
  • Demonic Associate 100
  • Guildmember 100
  • Hellraiser 500
PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 3:52 pm
SporkMaster5000
Snuffins
Why should I, as a citizen of the United Kingdom, be a victim of something the United States passes?
because the problem with the bill is it threatens the stability of the internet as a whole. it would allow corporations to turn off DNS servers, meaning entire websites just up and disappear.

Yes, america is not the whole internet, but it's a lot of the internet, and it's a lot of the big names on the internet. moreover, if DNS servers go down, people have to find ways around it, given the provisions of the bill, accessing IP addreses directly would still be possible, as may be using certain services and networks currently being used to bypass similar censorship in china, but both options present significant security risks, to all involved, and the latter would likely be made illegal shortly on the heels of these bills if it did catch on.

this whole protest is happening, not to protest american censorship, but to protest american censorship breaking the internet

This sounds familiar... totalbiscuit?  
PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 3:54 pm
Mongooseh
SporkMaster5000
Snuffins

This sounds familiar... totalbiscuit?
uh...no?  

SporkMaster5000
Crew

Invisible Citizen

10,000 Points
  • Millionaire 200
  • Invisibility 100
  • Megathread 100

Mongooseh

Distinct Raider

8,825 Points
  • Demonic Associate 100
  • Guildmember 100
  • Hellraiser 500
PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 3:55 pm
Alright it's just that I was rewatching Totalbiscuit's video on SOPA and PIPA and he say something extremely similar while quoting an article.  
PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 3:55 pm
SporkMaster5000
Suicidesoldier#1
irrisponsible, debatably.

stupid, no. a) people ******** know about this. A lot of people. A banner at the top? how many times did you read a personal appeal from [some jackass at wikipedia]? EVERYONE is paying some attention to this.
b) it worked.

Suicidesoldier#1

Fanatical Zealot

Rain Yupa
Captain

Enduring Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 4:04 pm
Vorastrix
i kinda just wish they did what ctrl + alt + del did

plus, and i'm sure this has already been mentioned, lookit what gaia is doing...

an lol, lookit my sig....

I noticed your signature, and thought it was a nice touch.

Thanks to the link to ctrl+alt+del. It's not a comic I normally read, but I signed the petition they linked to. smile  
PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 4:05 pm
Suicidesoldier#1
we don't want oyu to like shiny ads. we want you to get pissed when everything you know and love on the internet is just ******** gone. this is a real possibility. if mythweavers being down right now pisses you off, imagine what happens if hasbro or any other corporation ultimately responsible for RPGS gets a wild hair up their a** about some posts containing copywritten information and they decide to nuke it. same s**t, only it's not back tomorrow. you don't like this thing that is happening, that is the point.

Quote:
no, they don't. people who spend any amount of time on the internet either have ad blockers, or have trained themselves to ignore banner ads. there's a reason advertisements have to be every ******** where to get any attention, people don't like ads and ignore them if they aren't immediately interesting "baaw politics, legal s**t" isn't interesting. even wikipedia's blackout's been circumvented by people hellbent on ignoring things the internet tries to force on them.

Quote:
I say again IT ALREADY DID HELP. large chunks of the internet went dark, reddit and wikipedia, two sites that did more than blocked off more than just a logo or some services are being mentioned first and foremost in news articles and the bills have already lost sponsors because of the strike. you are demonstrably wrong.

furthermore, the gaia banners I'm easily ignoring. they're non-invasive, and I spend most of my time on gaia half-scrolleld down a thread or forum, where the header is out of sight and out of mind. I might have gone a whole day without noticing the banners, i've gone about as long not noticing other changes to the header. that's not even me ignoring ads, that's me literally being ignorant of its presence.  

SporkMaster5000
Crew

Invisible Citizen

10,000 Points
  • Millionaire 200
  • Invisibility 100
  • Megathread 100

Suicidesoldier#1

Fanatical Zealot

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 4:09 pm
SporkMaster5000
Suicidesoldier#1
we don't want oyu to like shiny ads. we want you to get pissed when everything you know and love on the internet is just ******** gone. this is a real possibility. if mythweavers being down right now pisses you off, imagine what happens if hasbro or any other corporation ultimately responsible for RPGS gets a wild hair up their a** about some posts containing copywritten information and they decide to nuke it. same s**t, only it's not back tomorrow. you don't like this thing that is happening, that is the point.

Quote:
no, they don't. people who spend any amount of time on the internet either have ad blockers, or have trained themselves to ignore banner ads. there's a reason advertisements have to be every ******** where to get any attention, people don't like ads and ignore them if they aren't immediately interesting "baaw politics, legal s**t" isn't interesting. even wikipedia's blackout's been circumvented by people hellbent on ignoring things the internet tries to force on them.

Quote:
I say again IT ALREADY
DID HELP. large chunks of the internet went dark, reddit and wikipedia, two sites that did more than blocked off more than just a logo or some services are being mentioned first and foremost in news articles and the bills have already lost sponsors because of the strike. you are demonstrably wrong.

furthermore, the gaia banners I'm easily ignoring. they're non-invasive, and I spend most of my time on gaia half-scrolleld down a thread or forum, where the header is out of sight and out of mind. I might have gone a whole day without noticing the banners, i've gone about as long not noticing other changes to the header. that's not even me ignoring ads, that's me literally being ignorant of its presence.

The Dungeons & Dragons Guild

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces