Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Dungeons & Dragons Guild

Back to Guilds

A Dungeons & Dragons Roleplaying Guild - We have many active games, join requests are checked often, and everyone is accepted. 

Tags: Dungeons, Dragons, Roleplaying, Dungeons and Dragons 

Reply The Dungeons & Dragons Guild
Star Wars Saga Edition Legacy Era Campaign (Started) Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 6 7 8 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Well, interested?
  YEAH!
  no...
View Results

Seph Baelzara

Dedicated Gaian

12,050 Points
  • Beta Gaian 0
  • Beta Citizen 0
  • Elocutionist 200
PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2010 1:35 am
By the damned ******** you a rules lawyer, too?  
PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2010 2:15 am
I'm reluctant to play because I realized a couple things. This story teller had a few bad power gamers piss in the punch and he didn't know how to respond. This story teller is a bit strict on stat gen when some of the classes (*cough* Jedi *cough*) Need a ******** load of stats if the party Jedi is going to do his job for the party. Otherwise you get hyper focused Jedi who're worse than anything else.

IE "what!? I can't play a generealized jedi? Well ******** you! how about a min max force caster!?" 20 cha 12-14 wis All this character will EVAR ever need. Light saber TK combat from the old republic book? Broke. So godlessly broke. Or? Abusing Move Object after you hyper focus into your use the force skill? Holy crap, kill two stones with one bird. >_< (+17 utf check at level 5. You will in fact wreck something hard with move object. What's that!? You ripped off boba fett's jet pack mid flight and then slammed it and him back into the ground for a fiery conflagration!?) Which is why you need to just closely work with your players to understand the fell of the game you want. In a kinda hack n slash force unleashed campaign? Go for broke. Although in a legacy era campaign jedi do run amok all over the place. People will be prepared for jedi shenanigans bar tenders will have sonic guns as well as a good deal of everyone else. It's pretty standard in planetary militias when jedi start breaking the galaxy... again... ._. (It's why all federation officers should carry a giant .44 revolver too. In case of borg. Don't start a nerd debate over this like what happened over Gandalf either. That totally snubbed what ever interest I had in that game.)

Still this is more of learning how to get a party together you can trust. Every group has a power gamer, but if he's too much of a p***k and ruining the game for everyone else by skewing the power levels? Dump him like a prom night baby with alcoholic fetus syndrome.

and stat gen? What're you the RPGA? It doesn't matter how stats are done as long as the party agrees to a general power level of the campaign. This is beyond levels too, how power gamey the- well game is going to be. You will find that your players when you work with them, are far more eager to...

work with you. I know, this is crazy hippy none sense to some of the iron dms out there. I'm just saying maybe the focus should be on the story instead of stats, the stats are just lube to make the story go smoother. Like whiskey would make this post smoother.

Idunno, you don't have to really like my opinion on this as it's just an opinion. As a writer I'm looking for more of a story than I am a game (never said I was a good writer, just that I happen to focus my life around it. ._. /sigh). Rolling dice with plastic dolls in a sausage fest totally sounds like my idea of a good time! >_< (It's prolly why I'm artsy over writing. Collaborative stories have a whole different allure to me. It's prolly just as bad as the aforementioned, I just like it more in that light than the other.)  

Wrasynth Ksyamen

Hilarious Codger

7,450 Points
  • Brandisher 100
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Trader 100

RP_Master_Jak

Invisible Hunter

7,700 Points
  • Brandisher 100
  • Contributor 150
  • Forum Junior 100
PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2010 7:18 am
Ryu) You can get a droid later in the campaign, but not at level one, I'm sorry, one character per person for the beginning.

Seph) Sorry, but I do prefer to follow the rules when possible. I will use the GM's Special rules when needed, but more often I will simply go with what the rulebook tells me to do.

WK) You're absolutely right on the first part. The only experiences I've had with both D&D and Star Wars was that my Tiefling Fighter was constantly being attacked by another player for absolutely no reason whatsoever and I've only been able to GM Star Wars since I'm the only one with the rulebooks.

On the point of my disallowing Jedi. This is a point brought up to me by a friend who also plays and who has warned me repeatedly against it, but also it is part of the storyline I'm trying to craft. I'm not just doing it for the stats, but because I want the campaign to center around a group of individuals that have received no knowledge of having force sensitivity at the beginning, but may possibly gain that knowledge as time progresses.

I'm a White Blue Red Mage BTW (MTG reference). I like Order, Control, and Creativity. I'm willing to relinquish the Control aspect, but I'm not going to relinquish the order that the rules create. I'm not trying to focus on stats, I want the story to take precedent, but there still has to be rules for the stats. If a rule is in the book, unless there is a good reason, then the rule will be enforced without failure.

Boros Legion, For The Win.  
PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2010 7:37 am
Well, considering you didn't tell us no Force users, just no Jedi...

Shaheska Parianna, Force sensitive (and trained) Soldier may not be an appropriate character after all...

(I had kind of been interested in playing some other race than human, but I wanted Force powers, and the only way to start with them is to be human or a Jedi, since you need two feats at first level to pull it off.)  

Disciple of Sakura

Liberal Lover

Dallas Moonrain

PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2010 9:38 am
So here's my character. I haven't written a background yet because I'm not really familiar with the Legacy Era and I want my character to fit it correctly. But I do have ideas for her. smile

Anyway, here's Ralryrr, Wookie Noble.  
PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2010 10:39 am
>Ruleslawyer

Well, there goes my chances of joining this game. BTW, they're guidelines, not rules.  

Keith Valken Lionheart

Desirable Sex Symbol

6,200 Points
  • Ultimate Player 200
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Healer 50

Dallas Moonrain

PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2010 11:53 am
Now granted, I don't have it in front of me at the moment, but I believe the Star Wars Saga Edition has a core rulebook, not a guidelinebook, but that's just me. I mean, if you want to treat the rules as guidelines, you are welcome to, but going into someone else's thread and denigrating them for using the book as it was intended is just rude.

Edit:
It has been pointed out to me that the above was unclear. I meant to censor Keith Valken Lionhart for coming into a recruitment thread for a game he had no intent on participating in and correcting the DM. My point was intended to be that while KVL is welcome to see the rules as guidelines, coming into the thread only to tell the DM that he is wrong because he chooses to enforce them seemed unnecessary.

That is all I have to say on this, and anyone who wishes to further this debate will be ignored, as I don't wish to hijack the recruitment thread any further.

And now back to my desires related to my character:

Now I'll go back to original thread topic and state that I hope we run into lots of people who speak Shyriiwook so that my character can actually use those social skills I gave her as something other than Intimidate. smile  
PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2010 1:45 pm
No, I'm pretty sure you're unaware of how arrogant that was in of it's self. However I've the distinct impression the amount of self awareness you posses is in fact minimal and shallow. The rules in every book even our laws are more of a guide line. It's why we even bother with juries and the like. Why we even bother with judges, it why we don't just have a list of offenses and the degree of the offense and then sentencing. We would just have executioners who execute the will of the rules, it's why we have errata, it's why there are house rulings, it's why we're not playing a video game. Now stop trying to publicly sand bag me or anyone else you inept twit. This is the third time you've done it, I've tried privately asking you to not blatantly pull such s**t. I've shown your posts to others to make sure I'm not being crazy, you're a bit of a douche. Stop it. Please.

Back to how me and him were actually agreeing for the most part.

The jedi class doesn't strictly represent just Jedi, just people with some formalized training in some fashion (I understand how the title leads to other things being implied, but there are several instances of classes being used as more of a base to cook a soup that is the character. Like RA Salvatore used ranger to make an bland angsty drow. Is there a bland angsty drow class? Are all woodsman guides rangers? They're not the only one's who get track. Was boba fett of the bounty hunter class? Yes but he has commando training at his core. I wouldn't even say basic soldier as he has mandalorian training. >_< Actually.) , like I like setting wrasynth up as a first level jedi with no knowledge of the force because he was a failed sith apprentice that conned his family into training their force sensitive son. However because he was a drunkard and dark, he was eventually hunted down, all wrasynth has from him is a couple basic lessons on channeling the force intuitively, basic light saber combat, and then he went on his marry trying to use the force. Unfortunately when he went to join the jedi academy they just told him he was too old, he got pissed because the jedi council is in fact retarded. So instead of training the jedi that has no control over his powers they just pay him to keep busy so they can keep tabs on his levels of corruption.

._. I was having so much trouble finding a 2nd light saber too for some reason. However? This isn't that campaign. I'm well aware of it, I'm just saying I have a fair share of experience, I actually have experience on both ends. I do know that when I run a star wars campaign I try to give it a grittier 40k shade. Combat is less clinical when plasma wounds are described. Sure the tensile strength of the armor stopped the ionized plasmatic rail gun round, but you still got cooked inside your armor after the kinetic energy liquefied a large portion of you. HP is still hp, I can't actually count people as actually taking hits because of the kinda cinematic qualities of HP.

Regardless? I wasn't saying give up the rules, I'm just saying if you're confident in the system and know what you're doing it depends on how much sand box you plan on tossing at the said group. As you gauge the skill of the players and their tactics, evolve the world around them. This is all stuff that's been said and I know most DMs nod their head at me like they were listening, but... you would just be amazed how many of them aren't actually listening. It all comes down to your skill to tailor the adventure to the party, and the party to try and help tailor themselves to the story. It's a collaborative effort and in my opinion what made the original star wars so ******** amazing anyhow.

BTW I apologize if I come off as a p***k, you seem unusually reasonable. The fact is I try to play nice, people don't listen. I'm a p***k and I get celebrated. ._. I don't ******** get it.

Also can I be Mandalorian? I will totally shuck force powers to the side to be a Mandalorian soldier.  

Wrasynth Ksyamen

Hilarious Codger

7,450 Points
  • Brandisher 100
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Trader 100

Disciple of Sakura

Liberal Lover

PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2010 3:39 pm
Rules are rules. They can be waived or enforced as seen fit by the DM, but it's up to the players whether or not they want to participate in said DM's game. For example, I'd have liked to have started with a Jedi, but I'm happy with my soldier for the moment, assuming she makes the cut.

Change of topic. Twi-leks are hawt. Discuss.  
PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2010 5:17 pm
My last post in this thread. I do so hate rules lawyers...

Disciple of Sakura

I personally prefer Zeltrons.

Ruudi Buundaz
When you've been in this business as long as I have, you learn a few things: Nothing's more dangerous than arguing with a Wookiee, nothing's more foolish than gambling with a Jedi, and nothing's more alluring than a Twi'lek dancer. But I'm here to tell you that last one is wrong. If you like your humanoids flexible, svelte, enthusiastic, and in multiple shades of red, then the most beautiful people in the galaxy are on Zeltros. Who needs Twi'leks?

Seph Baelzara

Dedicated Gaian

12,050 Points
  • Beta Gaian 0
  • Beta Citizen 0
  • Elocutionist 200

RP_Master_Jak

Invisible Hunter

7,700 Points
  • Brandisher 100
  • Contributor 150
  • Forum Junior 100
PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2010 5:34 pm
Wrasynth) Of course the Mando'ade are available for use. If you want to be Mandalorian, more power to you.

Sakura) Everything looks in order, you're good to go.

Dallas) You're good too. Welcome to the game both of you.

Also, thanks for backing me up, both of you. I think we could all be really good friends as we get things rolling.  
PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2010 5:51 pm
Sick!

Do you actually know where to find the mandalorian species? o_o  

Wrasynth Ksyamen

Hilarious Codger

7,450 Points
  • Brandisher 100
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Trader 100

RP_Master_Jak

Invisible Hunter

7,700 Points
  • Brandisher 100
  • Contributor 150
  • Forum Junior 100
PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2010 6:08 pm
Wrasynth Ksyamen
Sick!

Do you actually know where to find the mandalorian species? o_o

Knights of the Old Republic campaign guide has mandalorian stuff, but I've been scouring everything I can find and it doesn't say they're a separate species from human, as far as I know of.  
PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2010 6:10 pm
Damnit >_< I was hoping on trading a feat for stat mods, like +2 str -2 cha. As the Mando'ade don't strike me as terribly charismatic but they sure as ******** love to be up in people's grizzle's anyhow.  

Wrasynth Ksyamen

Hilarious Codger

7,450 Points
  • Brandisher 100
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Trader 100
The Dungeons & Dragons Guild

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 6 7 8 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers