Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Dungeons & Dragons Guild

Back to Guilds

A Dungeons & Dragons Roleplaying Guild - We have many active games, join requests are checked often, and everyone is accepted. 

Tags: Dungeons, Dragons, Roleplaying, Dungeons and Dragons 

Reply The Dungeons & Dragons Guild
Ephemeral Skies (3.5; Recruiting) Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 6 ... 11 12 13 14 [>] [>>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Emerald the Crow

PostPosted: Sun Sep 19, 2010 11:48 am
Okay. Here's my character build - Dame Marionne Lastow. When I saw that bit about enslaved dragons, it just gave me such a cool image in my head with the Dragon Shaman concept I was contemplating. Hope I get in. Haven't managed to play in anything else yet. sweatdrop  
PostPosted: Sun Sep 19, 2010 1:22 pm
Anatarei Crimsonthrone
I've got a great idea for a pirate-y character that I'll whip up for this. Any chance that I could take the Whirling Frenzy variant from Unearthed Arcana and the d20SRD?

Shoot. I missed this earlier. Yeah, I'm fine with that variant. I like it a lot myself, honestly. That's cool.  

Disciple of Sakura

Liberal Lover

Disciple of Sakura

Liberal Lover

PostPosted: Sun Sep 19, 2010 1:26 pm
Alzzak
I would like to try, though,

I was originally thinking was a fighter/ranger or Bard/Sorcerer. Fighter/Ranger to try and fill the idea of the original marines, marksmen that mastered in ship to ship ranged fighting(their targets would normally be officers)
And the Bard/Sorcerer for moral support and mass destruction.

I would also like to try, a Barbarian/fighter.

If no then, could we remove the monk alignment requirement? I can also go with a monk/cleric for healing martial art support

Just to play Devil's Advocate, why couldn't you build a healing martial art support character who happens to be lawful?  
PostPosted: Sun Sep 19, 2010 1:30 pm
Raganui Minamoto
and no thoughts on my idea of swashbuckler//swordsage?

I think it's a good way to help boost your AC if you've got a few points to work it out. Even a Wisdom of 12 increases your AC by a point, which is helpful. I've done it before, myself.  

Disciple of Sakura

Liberal Lover

Alzzak

PostPosted: Sun Sep 19, 2010 1:49 pm
Disciple of Sakura
Alzzak
I would like to try, though,

I was originally thinking was a fighter/ranger or Bard/Sorcerer. Fighter/Ranger to try and fill the idea of the original marines, marksmen that mastered in ship to ship ranged fighting(their targets would normally be officers)
And the Bard/Sorcerer for moral support and mass destruction.

I would also like to try, a Barbarian/fighter.

If no then, could we remove the monk alignment requirement? I can also go with a monk/cleric for healing martial art support

Just to play Devil's Advocate, why couldn't you build a healing martial art support character who happens to be lawful?

The whole reason is I am bad with lawful characters, I tend to break vows/laws/etc if it stands in the way. Plus, most of my characters are Neutral good. If you still say no, I will still make a monk/cleric.  
PostPosted: Sun Sep 19, 2010 1:56 pm
Hey Alzzak.

Swordsage/Cleric if you want the unarmored wis ac thing.

If not, try Crusader.  

Raganui Minamoto

Distinct Prophet

Disciple of Sakura

Liberal Lover

PostPosted: Sun Sep 19, 2010 1:58 pm
This is a long post, so I'll dissect it a bit...

Eternality_Cannon
Well, I'd be using a plethora of variants found in UA and CW for starters. With the Fast Movement of the Barbarian AND the Monk using the two druid variants in UA, I'd be running around in a blur. Add to that the whirling frenzy rage variant (the druidic avenger gets rage, so I'd be using that), and you've got a basic twister of natural fury. I'd also be granted the ranger's track feat at first level, which makes me a good navigator. Now, for the ranger, I'm using another variant that grants him the wildshape ability of the druid in exchange for his combat style. After that, I decided to use the aspect of nature variant (so, now instead of some fluffy ball of brutality, I develop scary natural weapons) on said wild shape. So, now I can swing from the rigging of the ship, spinning like crazy, armed with mother nature's weapons and a few of my own.

I technically didn't allow Unearthed Arcana. Though I'm not opposed to certain parts of it. However, I don't see any variants that allow a ranger to get Wildshape instead of Combat Style (and it'd likely be overpowered if there was). What's that from?
Further, I'm not seeing how the Druid gets Fast Movement of Barbarian and Monk, unless you're taking several monk levels - there is the Druidic Avenger variant that gets fast movement like a barbarian, but that's all I'm seeing.

Quote:
I also chose to spend my cash on mundane gear only, which I took from the Arms and Equipment Guide. This lets me pull all kinds of vin diesel worthy stunts (grappling ladder from the keel, for instance). If you're not allowing AaE, I'll get rid of that part.

I don't own the Arms and Equipment Guide, and it is 3.0. I wouldn't allow it, because I'm just not fond of what I've seen from it. Sorry on that account...

Quote:
Finally, I wanted to shift around the technically "martial" weapons (I'm using more primitive weapons, the rules of which were outlined in CW). In exchange for crossbow and bow suckage, I treat bolas, boomerangs, blowguns, and nets as martial. So, ranger gives me those. So, now I'm using exotic weaponry and going into a whirlwind of brutality.

I'd be using the Jungle Halfling race, another variant presented in UA. Lighter weight= crazier stunts, plus I get to use the shortbow again, and I have poison use.

So, you'd trade out your proficiencies to get extra proficiencies and then get one of those proficiencies back? That seems a little bit cheesy to me. Not entirely sure about that. Though I rarely see halflings in games, and it's not like bolas, boomerangs, etc are broken weapons. I'd call that a bit of a wash...

Quote:
In short, I'm a pint-sized, fast-moving, can of whoop-a**.

Has my rant made a convincing argument?

It's interesting, but I'm not really seeing how it actually works. If you could shed some light on how it all pieces together better, maybe I'd be able to wrap my head around it a little bit better.

I also am not sure why you couldn't build a druid/warblade focused on Tiger Claw maneuvers for similar overall effect, honestly.  
PostPosted: Sun Sep 19, 2010 2:14 pm
Ooh, this looks like a good place to start with the guild...interesting....

I don't see anyone mentioning arcane casters...maybe I could try that.....  

Dallas Moonrain

Alzzak

PostPosted: Sun Sep 19, 2010 2:43 pm
On second thought, Any ideas what would go with Artificer?  
PostPosted: Sun Sep 19, 2010 3:18 pm
Artificer... man, if it was the Pathfinder version I'd have a character idea (or at least part of one). I'm not too keen on the 3.5 artificer.

But if you keep with that, warblade I think.  

Raganui Minamoto

Distinct Prophet

Shay Straylight

Invisible Genius

7,800 Points
  • Trader 100
  • Gaian 50
  • Signature Look 250
PostPosted: Sun Sep 19, 2010 3:19 pm
Hello, I find your game idea interesting. Will you be implementing multi-class XP penalties?  
PostPosted: Sun Sep 19, 2010 3:20 pm
No +2 items for anyone, wee~  

Raganui Minamoto

Distinct Prophet

Slave Xaccheus

PostPosted: Sun Sep 19, 2010 3:26 pm
Disciple of Sakura
This is a long post, so I'll dissect it a bit...

Eternality_Cannon
Well, I'd be using a plethora of variants found in UA and CW for starters. With the Fast Movement of the Barbarian AND the Monk using the two druid variants in UA, I'd be running around in a blur. Add to that the whirling frenzy rage variant (the druidic avenger gets rage, so I'd be using that), and you've got a basic twister of natural fury. I'd also be granted the ranger's track feat at first level, which makes me a good navigator. Now, for the ranger, I'm using another variant that grants him the wildshape ability of the druid in exchange for his combat style. After that, I decided to use the aspect of nature variant (so, now instead of some fluffy ball of brutality, I develop scary natural weapons) on said wild shape. So, now I can swing from the rigging of the ship, spinning like crazy, armed with mother nature's weapons and a few of my own.

I technically didn't allow Unearthed Arcana. Though I'm not opposed to certain parts of it. However, I don't see any variants that allow a ranger to get Wildshape instead of Combat Style (and it'd likely be overpowered if there was). What's that from?
Further, I'm not seeing how the Druid gets Fast Movement of Barbarian and Monk, unless you're taking several monk levels - there is the Druidic Avenger variant that gets fast movement like a barbarian, but that's all I'm seeing.

Quote:
I also chose to spend my cash on mundane gear only, which I took from the Arms and Equipment Guide. This lets me pull all kinds of vin diesel worthy stunts (grappling ladder from the keel, for instance). If you're not allowing AaE, I'll get rid of that part.

I don't own the Arms and Equipment Guide, and it is 3.0. I wouldn't allow it, because I'm just not fond of what I've seen from it. Sorry on that account...

Quote:
Finally, I wanted to shift around the technically "martial" weapons (I'm using more primitive weapons, the rules of which were outlined in CW). In exchange for crossbow and bow suckage, I treat bolas, boomerangs, blowguns, and nets as martial. So, ranger gives me those. So, now I'm using exotic weaponry and going into a whirlwind of brutality.

I'd be using the Jungle Halfling race, another variant presented in UA. Lighter weight= crazier stunts, plus I get to use the shortbow again, and I have poison use.

So, you'd trade out your proficiencies to get extra proficiencies and then get one of those proficiencies back? That seems a little bit cheesy to me. Not entirely sure about that. Though I rarely see halflings in games, and it's not like bolas, boomerangs, etc are broken weapons. I'd call that a bit of a wash...

Quote:
In short, I'm a pint-sized, fast-moving, can of whoop-a**.

Has my rant made a convincing argument?

It's interesting, but I'm not really seeing how it actually works. If you could shed some light on how it all pieces together better, maybe I'd be able to wrap my head around it a little bit better.

I also am not sure why you couldn't build a druid/warblade focused on Tiger Claw maneuvers for similar overall effect, honestly.

Basically, I'm playing a halfling that can use poisonous stuff without risk of hurting himself, and I'm only getting back shortbow proficiency (and composite, but who's counting?). As for the druid and ranger, both of those are under "other class variants" in UA. It's all on d20srd. The arms and equipment stuff could be adapted fairly easily as it's just a bunch of tech.

The swashbuckler movies I've seen have had a crazed savage involved one way or the other, or at the very least someone tribal.

But, since I didn't sell you, I don't see the point in continuing the argument.

My second idea was Monk/Sorcerer Oriental Adventures style (which just changes weapon proficiency (and adds a few more special monk weapons), one class skill, and the ability to swap around a class ability at 1st, 2nd, and 6th level for a martial arts feat (all of which are either in the player's handbook, or revived in complete warrior) for the Monk, and grants a few more spells for the sorcerer (he can use Wu Jen stuff too; I think that's in complete divine).

While it IS 3.0, most if not all of this stuff can be jury-rigged to be 3.5 as easily as Pun-Pun can be abused. The new Monk weapons are all either light or two-handed, the martial arts mastery ability doesn't come until much later (and even that's fine as-is; no jury-rigging required) and the sorcerer having a few new spells doesn't break the game as he can't cast any more than normal.  
PostPosted: Sun Sep 19, 2010 3:40 pm
Also... I don't have a scanner... or a decent image editing program... I'm sure I can work something out, though...  

Shay Straylight

Invisible Genius

7,800 Points
  • Trader 100
  • Gaian 50
  • Signature Look 250
Raganui Minamoto rolled 4 10-sided dice: 6, 1, 8, 6 Total: 21 (4-40)

Raganui Minamoto

Distinct Prophet

PostPosted: Sun Sep 19, 2010 3:53 pm
2-5 hp  
The Dungeons & Dragons Guild

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 6 ... 11 12 13 14 [>] [>>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items