Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Dungeons & Dragons Guild

Back to Guilds

A Dungeons & Dragons Roleplaying Guild - We have many active games, join requests are checked often, and everyone is accepted. 

Tags: Dungeons, Dragons, Roleplaying, Dungeons and Dragons 

Reply The Dungeons & Dragons Guild
Stupid character concepts Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Psychofish

Dedicated Loiterer

PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2010 10:52 am
For ages I've wanted to make a 3.5 goliath (or half giant, but I like goliath's better) who uses monkey grip. Unless I'm mistaken about dice conversion and level modifiers, he could be wielding a 4d6 damage huge greatsword at the equivalent of level 2. The concept gets less broken as levels go on, even if I get him a magic item/caster level/friend for using enlarge person, but the goal was essentially to let him swing around the largest objects possible while still using a race that I looked at as a "PC" class and not a "monster" race.

Not many such plans for 4e yet, but.

I laugh at the peasant railgun. Because none of my players have done something that strategically fourthwallbreaking/metagamey and broken yet, but if they ever do, I'll let them get away with it. And then either have the blast produced by it's speed and acceleration blow them away for massive damage and permanent deafness, or just have it rip a hole in the fabric of reality to another plane.

Possibly leading to massive multi-sided stone objects enscribed with strange runes or series of dots tumbling from the sky and wreaking havoc on the countryside.  
PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2010 6:41 pm
Psychofish
For ages I've wanted to make a 3.5 goliath (or half giant, but I like goliath's better) who uses monkey grip. Unless I'm mistaken about dice conversion and level modifiers, he could be wielding a 4d6 damage huge greatsword at the equivalent of level 2. The concept gets less broken as levels go on, even if I get him a magic item/caster level/friend for using enlarge person, but the goal was essentially to let him swing around the largest objects possible while still using a race that I looked at as a "PC" class and not a "monster" race.

Not many such plans for 4e yet, but.
I really wanted to get a halfling fighter the eternal defender epic destiny, just so i could have a four-foot guy wielding a six-foot sword.  

SporkMaster5000
Crew

Invisible Citizen

10,000 Points
  • Millionaire 200
  • Invisibility 100
  • Megathread 100

Psychofish

Dedicated Loiterer

PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2010 7:32 pm
That would be pretty great.

So far think my plan in that direction in 4e would be goliath, and much the same.

Get a spear, take the enternal defender and stoneblessed. Melee reach of 4. What class would best compliment that, I'm not sure. But the idea of having melee reach of 4 I find hilarious. I mean... how long would that spear even be? 20 feet long?  
PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2010 9:52 pm
Psychofish
That would be pretty great.

So far think my plan in that direction in 4e would be goliath, and much the same.

Get a spear, take the enternal defender and stoneblessed. Melee reach of 4. What class would best compliment that, I'm not sure. But the idea of having melee reach of 4 I find hilarious. I mean... how long would that spear even be? 20 feet long?
even better, do a minotaur, take the beastblooded minotaur path for the racial reach, and the barreling charge feat, so you can run people through with your 20-foot spear.  

SporkMaster5000
Crew

Invisible Citizen

10,000 Points
  • Millionaire 200
  • Invisibility 100
  • Megathread 100

Rain Yupa
Captain

Enduring Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2010 10:20 pm
*looks down at his Melee Reach 2 spear*

It's... it's not the size of your reach... it's how you use it... honest... cry  
PostPosted: Sat Mar 13, 2010 1:31 am
shardmind monk/shard disciple/godmind. at level 30 you'll have 6 power points and only one augmentable power.  

SporkMaster5000
Crew

Invisible Citizen

10,000 Points
  • Millionaire 200
  • Invisibility 100
  • Megathread 100

Psychofish

Dedicated Loiterer

PostPosted: Sat Mar 13, 2010 8:14 am
According to my sources the PHB3 doesn't come out until the 16th, and I don't see any PDF's out as of yet. So...

I still don't even know what stat the monk works on. I'm assuming either wisdom, because they loved it in 3.5, or dexterity because that epic monk path boosts dex.  
PostPosted: Sat Mar 13, 2010 1:36 pm
Psychofish
According to my sources the PHB3 doesn't come out until the 16th, and I don't see any PDF's out as of yet. So...

I still don't even know what stat the monk works on. I'm assuming either wisdom, because they loved it in 3.5, or dexterity because that epic monk path boosts dex.
dex with wis or str secondary.  

SporkMaster5000
Crew

Invisible Citizen

10,000 Points
  • Millionaire 200
  • Invisibility 100
  • Megathread 100

Psychofish

Dedicated Loiterer

PostPosted: Sat Mar 13, 2010 1:41 pm
Hmmm.

I might yet be able to synergize an avenger/monk or monk/avenger of Kord that refuses to use weapons then. I'll just have to see how monks work when they roll around and try to figure out how hard it would be to make work.  
PostPosted: Sat Mar 13, 2010 2:42 pm
I had a crazy idea for a 3.5 character built using a Goliath barbarian with the racial variant from Races of Stone that makes you large when you rage. Go into the Miniature's Handbook's War Hulk PrC, so that your Strength score becomes ridiculous. Get some purple pants and dye your skin green. And then, when you rage, your Strength increases, you grow in size, and no one likes you when you're angry...  

Disciple of Sakura

Liberal Lover

Slave Xaccheus

PostPosted: Sat Mar 13, 2010 6:21 pm
Give this to anything with four or more arms, give it a ton of ranged weapon enhancing feats, and two-weapon fighting enhancement feats. Yeah, that's a real horror show.  
PostPosted: Sun Mar 14, 2010 11:27 am
Psychofish

Monkey Grip and Powerful Build are mutually exclusive. One cannot benefit from both. This was spelled out in the FAQ, and it's pretty reasonable by actually reading the abilities.  

Disciple of Sakura

Liberal Lover

Rock_DS

4,000 Points
  • Gaian 50
  • Signature Look 250
  • Forum Explorer 100
PostPosted: Sun Mar 14, 2010 11:44 am
There is a way to get a bigger weapon that does stack with powerful build. Cant quite remember now =/ There is a way though.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2010 9:40 am
This involves a Dragon Magazine, but has been largely overdone in the forums that I like to hang every once and a while. (Just to see how the crazies get along)

Goliath + Half-Minotaur template + Barbarian racial sub level featured in Races of Stone (credit to Sakura, I've never been interested in the Barbarian class personally) + War Hulk prestige class featured in Miniature's Handbook= Big guy, hitting hard.

Reason?
*Goliath: Racial +4 Str, -2 Dex, +2 Con, Considered Large when actually Medium (Powerful Build), Monsterous Humanoid, +1 LA
*Half-Minotaur: Racial +8 Str, -2 Dex, +6 Con, -2 Int, +2 Wis, makes Small/Medium creatures Large, LA +1
*Barbarian: Mountain Rage substitutes normal Rage for a bit of growth. +2 additional bonus to Str along with standard +4 Str & +4 from Raging.
*War Hulk: 10 levels, each with a +2 Str ability increase
*Depending on DM ruling, when increasing in size some include the size increase adjustments [see MM3.5 pg. 291] (not included for the sake of the example)

Lets use a standard 18 Str score for a starting score (not including racial).
*18 +4(Goliath) +8(Half-Minotaur) +6(1st lvl Mountain Rage)= 36 @ lvl 1+ LA +2
Now lets add in the rest....
*18 +4(Goliath) +8(Half-Minotaur) +6(1st lvl Mountain Rage) +20(10 lvls of War Hulk) +4(Ability Score adjustment through levels) +whatever magic items you get by ECL20= 60+Magic Items @ 15 (plus LA +2)
I'm not going to go into too many possible magic items, but just to have a few listed....
*Belt of Giant Strength +6
*Manual of Gainful Exercise +5

I'm not an expert, and probably forgot something somewhere, but I came up with a Incredible Hulk with a Str score about 71 (with abouts +25 modifier). Who wants to use JUST a sword, when you can easily wield a ballista as a crossbow or a stone tower for a heavy mace? XD  

Yurro

Friendly Guildsman

7,600 Points
  • Beta Forum Regular 0
  • Beta Contributor 0
  • Beta Citizen 0

Durgress

PostPosted: Sat Mar 20, 2010 10:27 pm
Yurro
This involves a Dragon Magazine, but has been largely overdone in the forums that I like to hang every once and a while. (Just to see how the crazies get along)

Goliath + Half-Minotaur template + Barbarian racial sub level featured in Races of Stone (credit to Sakura, I've never been interested in the Barbarian class personally) + War Hulk prestige class featured in Miniature's Handbook= Big guy, hitting hard.

Reason?
*Goliath: Racial +4 Str, -2 Dex, +2 Con, Considered Large when actually Medium (Powerful Build), Monsterous Humanoid, +1 LA
*Half-Minotaur: Racial +8 Str, -2 Dex, +6 Con, -2 Int, +2 Wis, makes Small/Medium creatures Large, LA +1
*Barbarian: Mountain Rage substitutes normal Rage for a bit of growth. +2 additional bonus to Str along with standard +4 Str & +4 from Raging.
*War Hulk: 10 levels, each with a +2 Str ability increase
*Depending on DM ruling, when increasing in size some include the size increase adjustments [see MM3.5 pg. 291] (not included for the sake of the example)

Lets use a standard 18 Str score for a starting score (not including racial).
*18 +4(Goliath) +8(Half-Minotaur) +6(1st lvl Mountain Rage)= 36 @ lvl 1+ LA +2
Now lets add in the rest....
*18 +4(Goliath) +8(Half-Minotaur) +6(1st lvl Mountain Rage) +20(10 lvls of War Hulk) +4(Ability Score adjustment through levels) +whatever magic items you get by ECL20= 60+Magic Items @ 15 (plus LA +2)
I'm not going to go into too many possible magic items, but just to have a few listed....
*Belt of Giant Strength +6
*Manual of Gainful Exercise +5

I'm not an expert, and probably forgot something somewhere, but I came up with a Incredible Hulk with a Str score about 71 (with abouts +25 modifier). Who wants to use JUST a sword, when you can easily wield a ballista as a crossbow or a stone tower for a heavy mace? XD

Throw in levels in Drunken Master. By using Drink like a Demon, you can, for 1 encounter, improve Con or Str by 1 point by taking 1 point from Wis, Int and Dex. By level 20, assuming you had all of these a 12 to start with and added in a +6 item, your str goes up another 17. Downside? Lose a single point of dex, wis or int in that fight and instantly die.

Plus, if you go into "Epic" level, you can basically make anything you want, i.e. spells, feats, items, with approval of DM. The reader of the EPH is basically TOLD to make up their own stuff to give it that "epic" feel. So I made a feat that instead of losing all 3 stats at once, you lose them individually. I don't know, with some very heavy requirements you might get this by your DM non-epic. When you first see it, doesn't sound OP. Do the math. 17x3=51 more points of Str. Thats right, 121 Str. That is a carrying capacity of HALF A BILLION lbs as a heavy load. Dragging load in good conditions is 5 Billion lbs (100 times more that the sample Yurro made) +50 Str mod to any attack, making the standard 4 per round easily make anything die from massive damage without even rolling weapon damage. And the math for carrying capacity is only for a medium size character. I'd know this b/c I have done something similar with a character. Why throw boulders when you can throw entire cities?  
The Dungeons & Dragons Guild

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff