are you willing to talk?
  or listen?
  to seek?
  or share?
  we try to treat each other with respect
View Results

chessiejo

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2006 10:59 pm
well, you have a healthy mature attitude!  
PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2006 7:20 pm
bump  

Living Ink
Crew

person_face1986

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2006 10:01 am
chessiejo
in my personal opinion

not binding on anyone of course

there is a real turning toward these questions of depth and substance, where do i come from, where am i going...

but the problem is that the usual avenues for answering these questions, churches (me), synagogues, mosques, whatever, have sold out to the rich and powerful and are unable to reply, other than to tell us to be patient and keep making moiney for them.

I agree with your statement entirely...I am a christian but I don't go to church because I don't see the need to pay my church for my spritual well being...god never asked for any money...the churches and establishements of religion just want to look better and are always asking for money no matter how much they already have!  
PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2006 10:07 am
bump:3  

person_face1986

Karrobher

Hygienic Noob

2,900 Points
  • Fusion Novice 50
  • Alchemy Level 1 100
  • Hygienic 200
PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2006 11:12 pm
I hate really dislike it when people bump on spiritual subjects and threads. But then again, I have a very dual nature in the matters of spirituality: let it be and don't bother at all with it but respect it and make sure others do so, too. yeah, I'm weird....  
PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2006 7:48 pm
I don't attend church..or any other church like congragation for that matter, but I believe in God..a higher being...is that supposed to be wrong...i mean I just haven't found a church I like and feel comfortable at.

obsessedgreenday

blueamcat

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2006 11:48 am
person_face1986
chessiejo
in my personal opinion

there is a real turning toward these questions of depth and substance, where do i come from, where am i going...

but the problem is that the usual avenues for answering these questions, churches (me), synagogues, mosques, whatever, have sold out to the rich and powerful and are unable to reply, other than to tell us to be patient and keep making moiney for them.

I agree with your statement entirely...I am a christian but I don't go to church because I don't see the need to pay my church for my spritual well being...god never asked for any money...the churches and establishements of religion just want to look better and are always asking for money no matter how much they already have!

If a church or any other place like that is telling you to be patient and keep making them money, you know there is something wrong there.
The whole point of going to a church isn't to give them your money, ( though Jesus did teach us to tithe 10% of what we make), the whole reason to meet with others is to build relationships and a community with others to help you grow and so that you have friends you can turn to when you're in need. Read 1 Corinthians 12 starting at verse 12 and you'll see. That's what the church was built/founded upon. It is there to build community. Our pastor talked about that just yesterday.
Just my 2 cents. smile  
PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2006 5:44 pm
hey!  

rockie8912

Orange Popo

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2006 7:56 pm
I, personally, do not believe in spiritualism, and here's why:

1) I have not seen any proof of any sort of higher being. Many have tried to explain this by saying, "Well, we're here, aren't we?" but that's guessing, quite simply. I'm not saying the Big Bang THEORY is absolutely correct, because it's a THEORY, and I'm not a theoretical physicist. I honestly don't see the point in having spiritual explanations stuffed down my throat...

2) Deities have been around as long as people have. Why? Because humans tend to create explanations for that which they do not understand. It's human nature to fabricate gods and/or goddesses. What makes your "God" any different? "Because we're right, and they were all wrong"? That's the only answer I can ever bring out of people when I ask them that question.

3) All churches (etc.) seem very... cult-ish to me. Think about it. Cults typically have a "god" or "messiah" figure. Christianity has both. Cults normally have a "heaven" that offers eternal happiness. Christianity? Check. Plus, juice? Come on...

Now, don't take this post as me bashing religion and spiritual people. Really, it's quite the opposite. I respect their blind faith that resembles that of crazed lunatics... I mean that in the best way possible, honest. I, myself, prefer to have a (Dogma -like) system of IDEAS, as ideas can be changed as new evidence surfaces.

Now, I await your judgment.  
PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2006 12:40 pm
blueamcat
person_face1986
chessiejo
in my personal opinion

If a church or any other place like that is telling you to be patient and keep making them money, you know there is something wrong there.
The whole point of going to a church isn't to give them your money, ( though Jesus did teach us to tithe 10% of what we make), the whole reason to meet with others is to build relationships and a community with others to help you grow and so that you have friends you can turn to when you're in need. Read 1 Corinthians 12 starting at verse 12 and you'll see. That's what the church was built/founded upon. It is there to build community. Our pastor talked about that just yesterday.
Just my 2 cents. smile

i like the idea of having friends to turn to
and i hope i can be a friend to be turned to, too

i believe the tithe idea came from Malachi or some later prophet like that; i don't hear Jesus himself saying that  

chessiejo

HokageUchihaItachi

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2006 1:35 pm
The true question is whether you believe it.  
PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2006 12:21 pm
I've moved this to your subforum as I am trying to make the main forum more inviting. You may keep this Sticky or delete it as you wish.

Post anything you want to say about your subforum in the following Sticky on the main forum. Looking for Serious Real World topics?

Thanks!  

engineer-of-doom
Captain

Original Visionary

15,050 Points
  • Alchemy Level 10 100
  • Partygoer 500
  • Object of Affection 150

Karrobher

Hygienic Noob

2,900 Points
  • Fusion Novice 50
  • Alchemy Level 1 100
  • Hygienic 200
PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2006 9:26 am
((I had no idea Engineer_of_doom, who invited me to the guild btw, had a girl avatar... I assumed it was some kind of burly Machinist avatar or so...))

PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2006 11:06 am
mrpopolike2
I, personally, do not believe in spiritualism, and here's why:

1) I have not seen any proof of any sort of higher being. Many have tried to explain this by saying, "Well, we're here, aren't we?" but that's guessing, quite simply. I'm not saying the Big Bang THEORY is absolutely correct, because it's a THEORY, and I'm not a theoretical physicist. I honestly don't see the point in having spiritual explanations stuffed down my throat...

2) Deities have been around as long as people have. Why? Because humans tend to create explanations for that which they do not understand. It's human nature to fabricate gods and/or goddesses. What makes your "God" any different? "Because we're right, and they were all wrong"? That's the only answer I can ever bring out of people when I ask them that question.

3) All churches (etc.) seem very... cult-ish to me. Think about it. Cults typically have a "god" or "messiah" figure. Christianity has both. Cults normally have a "heaven" that offers eternal happiness. Christianity? Check. Plus, juice? Come on...

Now, don't take this post as me bashing religion and spiritual people. Really, it's quite the opposite. I respect their blind faith that resembles that of crazed lunatics... I mean that in the best way possible, honest. I, myself, prefer to have a (Dogma -like) system of IDEAS, as ideas can be changed as new evidence surfaces.

Now, I await your judgment.

I agree with your idea, but I think you agree in spiritualism. Spiritualism doesn't mean deities. That's a generalization that too many people make. I scoff at organized religion. I'm not really a scoffing kind of person, really, but somehow religion brings it out in me. On the other hand, I don't believe science as it stands today can explain everything in the world.

Science is a critical thinker's best guess.
Religion is a creative thinker's best guess.

Pick one or create your own. I've never been good at believing only in the physical world, or at casting my faith wholeheartedly into the sea of belief for belief's sake. I fall into the realm of spiritualism - I believe that not everything is scientific, by today's science at least. Something greater than our understanding exists. But it's not a God, or a deity. Today's myth is tomorrow's science. Go back not so far in time, and men scoffed at being able to fly. Now it's a matter of course. Since the beginning of myth, man has scoffed at religion and outside powers, as I do. Someday, these will be within the realm of our explanation.

But the point I want to make first is that you, Mr.Popo, are indeed a spiritualist, as long as you have these ideas. You're not a Dogmatist. That's the group that believes in religion by rote.

[/rant]  

KanadajinGaijin

Big Genius

Karrobher

Hygienic Noob

2,900 Points
  • Fusion Novice 50
  • Alchemy Level 1 100
  • Hygienic 200
PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2006 1:55 pm
Amen to that [/Irony]  
39: Spirituality.