Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Pluto is:
  A planet
  A dwarf planet
View Results

GypsyFoxglove

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2006 4:07 pm
i have bee out of school for a long time but read Science News, and with the Hubble Telescope the have discovered another well i dont know if it qualifies now as a planet or no beyond pluto. Pluto also has its own moon in orbit doesn't it?  
PostPosted: Sat Oct 28, 2006 4:24 am
per the latest issue of "Sience News Magazine" article by --RC (all credit of facts goes to this person however i am not going to put it all in quotes)

it has been officially denounced that Pluto will be referred to as a "Dwarf Planet". in addition on 9/14/06 the body previously called UB313 (the planet i previously mentioned found by the Hubble beyond Pluto)also nicknamed Xena, is officially named Eris after the Greek goddess of discord and strife. Furthermore, Eris' moon has been designated Dysnomia the goddess of lawlessness. This issue is far from over says the article, it say some 300 astronomers have signed a petition regarding Pluto's demotion all in protest.

Science News is credited with all facts stated in this post and is a great magazine not just dedicated to astronomy.

THIS IS THE LATEST FACTS REGARDING PLUTO THERE IS NO SPECULATION, THIS IS THE LATEST BREAKING SCIENCE NEWS.

Natzi.

10/7/06 issue Vol 170 pg 237 "A discordant name for a dwarf planet."  

GypsyFoxglove

AliasL

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2006 9:33 pm
Maybe Pluto is an amalgamation of a dwarf star and a planet that we've only seen once. Who's to say, there may be other 'would-be-planets' out there like Pluto. There's no need to fight for the right of Pluto to be a planet. Is forgeting Pluto, when listing planets, going to be SO hard?  
PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2006 10:00 pm
We actually forgot one small problem with Pluto... It was said that there is a small black hole outside of our solar system which can effect the course of Pluto. In comparasion to the size of Pluto orbis to the eccentriciy of it's orbis, it's actually is not that bad; plus the gravitational pull from the black hole will make Pluto go out of orbit. I beleive Pluto is a Planet.  

Aurora_Dance

350 Points
  • Member 100
  • Gaian 50
  • Dressed Up 200

lazyduck123

PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2007 1:39 am
technicaly pluto is a disney character
u all know the dog that mickey owns xd  
PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2007 12:48 pm
Pluto is obviously a planet. Holst says so. The works of Holst have authority over the whole of science.  

NOCTVRNVS

Zieza

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2007 10:13 pm
lazyduck123
technicaly pluto is a disney character
u all know the dog that mickey owns xd

This in itself is a big debate for me! Why should Goofy get to wear clothes and talk while Pluto is forced to wear a collar and chain? Both are dogs are they not?

er...off topic lol. sweatdrop Anyway, I believe that Pluto is neither a planet, nor a dwarf planet. It is some other celestial being that we haven't yet discovered or named that is a cross between the two catagories. Pluto has the characteristics of both a planet and a dwarf planet, so why shouldn't it be put into a new group that represents both?  
PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2007 12:42 am
I think pluto is the first known record of a moon with a planet in it's orbit. As I'm sure you all know, more recently then pluto was found, a moon of pluto has been found, but it's larger than pluto. Perhaps, this moon is the planet, and pluto the moon.  

Israk

Israk

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2007 8:19 pm
NatziSweetzi
Eris after the Greek goddess of discord and strife.

Discordianism strikes again! Sorry, but I had a laugh at that, and thought I would shar eit, if you don't know what Discordianism is, look it up on wikipedia.  
PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2007 7:24 pm
I really feel bad for Pluto since they downgraded it to a dwarf planet. Now it probably has an inferiority complex and is gonna try to kill us all to prove that it IS a planet. Unfortunately once it kills us nobody will know what it did to prove it was an actual planet so nobody will be there to say it's NOT a dwarf planet. Then it'll get depressed and kill itself.

I seriously have no clue why I just said that.  

Gimonavid

Onagoshi

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2007 9:12 pm
I don't really care much about this topic. All it is is giving a name to describe something with our limited language. Just because we call it a dwarf planet instead of a planet doesn't physically change it from what it was before. I can call an apple and orange and it doesn't suddenly round out and change colors. It might affect how we treat Pluto or teach it to our kids in the future, but that's about it. Personally I hope they still teach Pluto as a planet to our children. But that's my opinion. I thought this picture was hilarious though:

User Image  
PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2007 4:00 am
due to plutos location (abnormally close to neptune) and size a i say neptunes moon gone on a walk and nver came back  

Marti_Smarti

Dangerous Gekko

9,450 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Entrepreneur 150
  • Invisibility 100

piscator

PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2009 3:08 am
Update pluto was declared a planet in illinois (was dicovered in) by the legislature any time it is in the sks above said state rofl
as of this time we still have 3 years till planet expess reaches pluto also recentlly nasa launced a probe to ceres it oughta be cool i hpoe they catch a shot of an asteroid hitting it i will be 2012 before it gets there  
PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2010 3:47 am
Meh, astrological associations waste time of characterizing whatever doodads whatchamacallits found in space? They haven't even reached the finite areas of the universe. What if there are no longer as such as those? They'd take back what they've declared? (Or maybe not for they might have read this)  

Thyplosion

Unsealed Power

12,725 Points
  • Informer 100
  • Battle: Cleric 100
  • That One Hero 500
11: The Intelligent Cogitation: For the Master Debaters

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers