Reply 11: The Intelligent Cogitation: For the Master Debaters
Racism Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Racism...
  is good. Some races just shouldn't be!
  is horrible! It's the inside that counts.
  just happens. We can't stop it.
  just happens. We have to stop it!
View Results

sylviemasters777

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2006 2:28 pm
i feel that being racist is not something that we are born to be, but more it is the way we were rasied. I feel that in order to end racism we must just let it die, not keep bringing it up. We must take harsh action against it, but we don't need to tell the world when we do. Also this is illegal, to a certain extent, but i feel that all the web sites promoting racism so should be shut down one way or another.

Sylvie 4laugh  
PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2006 6:15 pm
icecurb
AgentKeg
Time is about the only thing that will heal racism right now. For thousands of years black and darker coloured persons have been considered lesser than those with lighter skin. The only way equality could happen right now is to change the way people think. We all know that isn't happening anytime soon.

I will admit that I have my own bouts of prejudice. I can't really say that I understand why I have these feelings, but I do try to suppress them.

BTW - thanks for the thread ^_^
sure, they say time will heal all. I belive racism will never end (even though it is one of my greatest wishes), cause there are always idiots in society that judge on visualistic diferencials. This to me is absolutely absurd, and pointless. society will always have there variations from person to person, there's no sence judging somone poorly cause there different from you. Your skin color is not even a choice, its somthing your born into.

Sadly, racism cannot be terminated & we have to learn from it. Perhaps the only way to minimize racism is through education since young & politics where the goverment concerned, encourage citizens against racism. Racism should be made illegal!!!  

cornflakes_3125

Jiachi Kieln

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2006 2:22 pm
cornflakes_3125
icecurb
AgentKeg
Time is about the only thing that will heal racism right now. For thousands of years black and darker coloured persons have been considered lesser than those with lighter skin. The only way equality could happen right now is to change the way people think. We all know that isn't happening anytime soon.

I will admit that I have my own bouts of prejudice. I can't really say that I understand why I have these feelings, but I do try to suppress them.

BTW - thanks for the thread ^_^
sure, they say time will heal all. I belive racism will never end (even though it is one of my greatest wishes), cause there are always idiots in society that judge on visualistic diferencials. This to me is absolutely absurd, and pointless. society will always have there variations from person to person, there's no sence judging somone poorly cause there different from you. Your skin color is not even a choice, its somthing your born into.

Sadly, racism cannot be terminated & we have to learn from it. Perhaps the only way to minimize racism is through education since young & politics where the goverment concerned, encourage citizens against racism. Racism should be made illegal!!!

I'd suggest to scratch that last sentence. Infringement upon freedom of speech, and equally as opinionated and closed-minded as stating blatant racism. I agree that it should be whittled away at through educating future generations about how such judgements are more than likely inaccurate, but turning it into a 'religious' war of (excuse the puns) 'black vs white' or 'good vs evil' would be quite counterproductive to such a cause. Try not to counter yourself within your own arguement, and remember that filtering emotional angst from an arguement helps you all the more in reaching clear, logical ends. mrgreen  
PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2006 7:22 pm
I also believe in education as the solution to stop racisim, I believe we are all humans and none of us is better simply because of a color confused in my opinion feeling yourself better because of your skin is stupid. I don't know many racist people but I've heard jokes, I've seen news and actitudes in which I trully disagree evil  

Nagasu~tenshi

shadow_alchemist92

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2006 5:02 pm
everybody's racist. it is part of human nature to udge ppl immediately by what they look like. some ppl may not take that into account when deciding what kind of person someone is, but everyone, at least subconciously, determines pre-accepted stereotypes about someone based on their skin-color  
PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2006 6:59 pm
shadow_alchemist92
everybody's racist. it is part of human nature to udge ppl immediately by what they look like. some ppl may not take that into account when deciding what kind of person someone is, but everyone, at least subconciously, determines pre-accepted stereotypes about someone based on their skin-color

I've heard that argument before, better represented, and it still sounded like s**t. It's just an excuse to be racist wrapped up in a defeatist attitude. Children aren't born racist. Since when have you seen a group of pre-schoolers beating up another kid for being a different shade of color than them? If they have never seen someone before of that color, they may be curious, but not violent. Not until the child asks their parent "why is s/he different?" and they respond with because s/he is a dirty *insert racial slur here*.  

EJ_Nova

Tactical Lunatic

12,050 Points
  • Full closet 200
  • Signature Look 250
  • Window Shopper 100

shadow_alchemist92

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2006 1:35 pm
Squicks
shadow_alchemist92

I've heard that argument before, better represented, and it still sounded like s**t. It's just an excuse to be racist wrapped up in a defeatist attitude. Children aren't born racist. Since when have you seen a group of pre-schoolers beating up another kid for being a different shade of color than them? If they have never seen someone before of that color, they may be curious, but not violent. Not until the child asks their parent "why is s/he different?" and they respond with because s/he is a dirty *insert racial slur here*.
hey, i am just about the least racist person i know of, so its not just an excuse to be racist. im just saying that it has been scientifically proven that humans immediately judge people based on looks.  
PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2006 11:14 pm
shadow_alchemist92
hey, i am just about the least racist person i know of, so its not just an excuse to be racist. im just saying that it has been scientifically proven that humans immediately judge people based on looks.

I've read the reports you are reffering to. It has to do with the recognition of facial symmetry, which has nothing to do with race. Different races of humans have different features, but the symmetry of the human face as an innate way to measure beauty applies to all races in the same way.  

EJ_Nova

Tactical Lunatic

12,050 Points
  • Full closet 200
  • Signature Look 250
  • Window Shopper 100

shadow_alchemist92

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2006 2:47 pm
Squicks
shadow_alchemist92

I've read the reports you are reffering to. It has to do with the recognition of facial symmetry, which has nothing to do with race. Different races of humans have different features, but the symmetry of the human face as an innate way to measure beauty applies to all races in the same way.

alright, most of the judging does come from facial symmetry and such, but at least a part of it comes from race, unless you were born on an ideally great world where you've never heard anything racist. some ppl do try to minimize the effects of this, but it is immediately active from seeing someone  
PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2006 3:16 pm
shadow_alchemist92
alright, most of the judging does come from facial symmetry and such, but at least a part of it comes from race, unless you were born on an ideally great world where you've never heard anything racist. some ppl do try to minimize the effects of this, but it is immediately active from seeing someone

So, you concede that you can grow up without being influenced by racism you won't become racist. If that is so, then the conclusion is to remove it from society we need to remove references to that context. It's not a quick solution, but through education we can remove the influence of racism.  

EJ_Nova

Tactical Lunatic

12,050 Points
  • Full closet 200
  • Signature Look 250
  • Window Shopper 100

shadow_alchemist92

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2006 7:27 pm
Squicks
shadow_alchemist92

So, you concede that you can grow up without being influenced by racism you won't become racist. If that is so, then the conclusion is to remove it from society we need to remove references to that context. It's not a quick solution, but through education we can remove the influence of racism.

yes. if racism could be eliminated from society for a while, then it would eventually cease to exist. however, this is not likely to happen any time soon  
PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2006 11:02 pm
shadow_alchemist92

yes. if racism could be eliminated from society for a while, then it would eventually cease to exist. however, this is not likely to happen any time soon

I can't believe this at all. Racism is rejecting a culture because they are different and you are ignorant. People reject those who are different without having any influences. Racism is bound to surface again after being rid of.
There are certain problems in which there is no "fix-all" solution and this is definitely one of them.  

Epic Fail Girl

GypsyFoxglove

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2006 3:54 pm
it is something we must stop and it starts with our own children we must begin with ourselves and not repeat the sins of our forefathers. Yes and then hand it down.  
PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2006 6:58 pm
NatziSweetzi
it is something we must stop and it starts with our own children we must begin with ourselves and not repeat the sins of our forefathers. Yes and then hand it down.

I would have to agree that racism is something handed down. I was actually just having an argument with my mother earlier today because of some racist comments she was making. I can't truly fault her for that, because she had to deal with racism all of her life, but I don't wish to share her outlook.

I will not deny that racism exists, I have experienced it myself, but I believe the goal society must work toward is not to see racism in everything. Everyone is racist to a certain extent, because no one will ever know and understand everything about a particular culture. The key seems to be recognizing ones ingnorance. Once you realize what you are doing you can take a little time to learn about someone else before you condemn them.

My most lasting friendships have grown from unsavory racist remarks on both sides, that encouraged insight into anothers world.

TempestRising

Der Freischuetz

PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2006 7:05 pm
AgentKeg
shadow_alchemist92

I can't believe this at all. Racism is rejecting a culture because they are different and you are ignorant. People reject those who are different without having any influences. Racism is bound to surface again after being rid of.
There are certain problems in which there is no "fix-all" solution and this is definitely one of them.

What is needed is a single culture. What's supposed to be great about the United States is that all the cultures come together to form one great culture. This hasn't been the case. Nearly every minority, be it blacks, Asians or the various Latin groups, are determined to be these groups before they are Americans. Consequently, these people think that they are better than everyone else because of it, which causes a lot of tension between the different cultures and races. These groups need to realize that they are an American above everything else. Even the majority white groups can learn from this, in particular the racist ones. One united culture is better than a slew of cultures that all think they are superior to every other culture because they're "different" and "unique."  
11: The Intelligent Cogitation: For the Master Debaters

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff