• That One Hero 500
  • Planetary Technician 150

TYLER09

PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2006 12:17 pm
i love science especially when u get to blow up things... twisted blaugh  
PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2006 5:10 pm
magicalq91

lol indeed! I love high school chemistry demonstrations. My teachers were nice enough to show us some cool exploding ones. ^_^  

AstronomyGirl

Planetary Astronomer

57,900 Points
  • Conventioneer 300
  • That One Hero 500

she_died_smiling

PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2006 9:04 pm
i have molecules in my backpack  
PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2006 7:04 pm
Twilight Desperation
i have molecules in my backpack

lol yes. yes indeed. blaugh  

AstronomyGirl

Planetary Astronomer

57,900 Points
  • Conventioneer 300
  • That One Hero 500

Endrael

Codger

PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2006 10:26 pm
AstronomyGirl
magicalq91

lol indeed! I love high school chemistry demonstrations. My teachers were nice enough to show us some cool exploding ones. ^_^

blaugh I loved those demonstrations! My chemistry teacher in high school managed to get hold of some sodium so he could demonstrate the reactivity of valence electrons (which I know isn't the right term, but I can't for the life of me remember what is whee ). He commandeered an old bucket and filled it with water, then dropped a tiny little piece of the sodium in. No more bucket. rofl  
PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2006 8:32 pm
Endrael
AstronomyGirl
magicalq91

blaugh I loved those demonstrations! My chemistry teacher in high school managed to get hold of some sodium so he could demonstrate the reactivity of valence electrons (which I know isn't the right term, but I can't for the life of me remember what is whee ). He commandeered an old bucket and filled it with water, then dropped a tiny little piece of the sodium in. No more bucket. rofl

lol I actually got to do an experiment like that. Only less sodium, so it burned, but no explosion. Then we got to use some potassium... that was even crazier! 0_o they gave us such small amounts though, that nothing would blow up. blaugh  

AstronomyGirl

Planetary Astronomer

57,900 Points
  • Conventioneer 300
  • That One Hero 500

The_Bartner

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2006 3:04 pm
What I love most at science, is not the demonstrations or experiments. I am (or am trying to become actually) a mathematician, so in "my" "science" you just start with nothing and finish with a result.

So, to continue, what I really like about science in general, math more exactly, is that you can make a theory, calculate things, find connections between things already known, and so on and so on, and then finish with a new result, that, most of the time can be used for new theories and (in case of math) be used for other sciences, informatics or economy.

This year for example, in the lessons about Markov Chains, we see very theoretical things, but they are used almost everywhere in nature. For who is interessed, we are now talking about martingales. Martingale theory is sometimes described as "fair bet": averagely you win the same amount as your stakes were.

Example of a very easy martingale: you have 1 gold as stake: throw a coin: one side up, you get 2 gold, other side up you get 0 gold, averagely you get 1 gold, exact your stake again.
But also Brownian motion, very important in physics, is a martigale.  
PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2006 6:32 pm
The_Bartner
What I love most at science, is not the demonstrations or experiments. I am (or am trying to become actually) a mathematician, so in "my" "science" you just start with nothing and finish with a result.

So, to continue, what I really like about science in general, math more exactly, is that you can make a theory, calculate things, find connections between things already known, and so on and so on, and then finish with a new result, that, most of the time can be used for new theories and (in case of math) be used for other sciences, informatics or economy.

This year for example, in the lessons about Markov Chains, we see very theoretical things, but they are used almost everywhere in nature. For who is interessed, we are now talking about martingales. Martingale theory is sometimes described as "fair bet": averagely you win the same amount as your stakes were.

Example of a very easy martingale: you have 1 gold as stake: throw a coin: one side up, you get 2 gold, other side up you get 0 gold, averagely you get 1 gold, exact your stake again.
But also Brownian motion, very important in physics, is a martigale.

ah math... so useful to physics and astronomy, but so annoying when I don't understand it and it doesn't work. Math and me is a love/hate relationship. blaugh  

AstronomyGirl

Planetary Astronomer

57,900 Points
  • Conventioneer 300
  • That One Hero 500

Drackmeria

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2007 4:21 pm
i used to watch bill every day! is was dissapointing when it went off the air.
all the good shows go off... crying  
PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2007 4:02 pm
Endrael
m/ >.< m/

It's sad that his show was cancelled evil It was great fun.

I agree  

HuricaneWolf

UF6

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2007 7:29 am
He was good for kids until you learned a bit of math, though it still was a cool show to watch.  
72: Science & Astronomy Hangout

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 4 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff