Planetary Astronomer

57,900 Points
  • Conventioneer 300
  • That One Hero 500
  • Planetary Technician 150
PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2006 10:05 pm
LiBu
AstronomyGirl

Yes it would actually stretch you, or any object. It's all tidal forces. It's the same effect that makes the moon cause the tides on the earth.

That's pretty f'd up.

[/stupid response]

lol. not really. It's just gravity to the extreme. blaugh  
PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2006 10:15 pm
AstronomyGirl
LiBu
AstronomyGirl

Yes it would actually stretch you, or any object. It's all tidal forces. It's the same effect that makes the moon cause the tides on the earth.

That's pretty f'd up.

[/stupid response]

lol. not really. It's just gravity to the extreme. blaugh

Yeah, I just didn't know what else to say, so I thought it would be funny to say that.  

LiBu

Beloved Shade

AstronomyGirl

Planetary Astronomer

57,900 Points
  • Conventioneer 300
  • That One Hero 500
PostPosted: Sun Jun 25, 2006 6:47 am
LiBu

Yeah, I just didn't know what else to say, so I thought it would be funny to say that.

ah. lol  
PostPosted: Sun Jun 25, 2006 4:20 pm
AstronomyGirl
Endrael
AstronomyGirl
Endrael
Twin paradox? Not familiar with that off the top of my head xp

It has to do with relativity, mainly time dilation. Einstien thought it up. Here's how it goes:
There is a set of twins. One gets on the space ship and flies very close to the speed of light to some nearby star and then comes back. The other twin stays on the earth. Because of time dilation the person on earth sees time passing on the space ship slower then on the earth, so then when the space ship twin retuns to earth they are years younger then their twin.

... or something like that. blaugh

Ah yes blaugh I know that one. I'd just never heard it called that before.
ah. lol Well what do you call it then?

I've only ever known it to be called the age paradox. Although it's not technically a paradox at all, because a paradox requires two things to be mutually exclusive of each other but still possible, and the 'slow' aging by travelling near light speed compared to someone aging 'normally' on a planet doesn't fit that. It's simply time dilation/contraction due to relativity.  

Endrael

Codger

AstronomyGirl

Planetary Astronomer

57,900 Points
  • Conventioneer 300
  • That One Hero 500
PostPosted: Sun Jun 25, 2006 9:17 pm
Endrael
AstronomyGirl

I've only ever known it to be called the age paradox. Although it's not technically a paradox at all, because a paradox requires two things to be mutually exclusive of each other but still possible, and the 'slow' aging by travelling near light speed compared to someone aging 'normally' on a planet doesn't fit that. It's simply time dilation/contraction due to relativity.

ah cool
lol yea. It's not really much of a paradox other then that they're twins and should be the same age. blaugh  
PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2006 10:41 pm
AstronomyGirl
Endrael
AstronomyGirl

ah cool
lol yea. It's not really much of a paradox other then that they're twins and should be the same age. blaugh

Maybe it should be called an anomaly?
[/attempt to impress with vocabulary]  

LiBu

Beloved Shade

Endrael

Codger

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2006 1:13 am
LiBu
AstronomyGirl
Endrael
AstronomyGirl

ah cool

Maybe it should be called an anomaly?
[/attempt to impress with vocabulary]

From a certain point of understanding, it could be considered anomalous, yes, since an anomaly is any piece of unexpected information that lies outside the current framework being tested and which can't be explained by mechanical or interpretive error.

And my god, that just created an entirely random correlation of thought for perfectly explaining it eek

For example, the Otherworld of fairies/fae/sidhe/whatever. Time is said to pass very slowly there compared to the rest of the world, which is highly anomalous from a medieval understanding of the world. There's simply no explanation for it. It's an event that does not fit with the common understanding of the world, or any available information or theories as to how the world functions.

But, drop our history machine off in the 20th century or anytime thereafter and bam, you have an explanation for it: relativity. Of course, it fails to explain how travel of that speed was achieved, but it does explain why there's an aging difference between our world and the Otherworld of the fairies/fae/sidhe/whatever. In this context, the aging difference is not anomalous.  
PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2006 3:18 pm
Endrael
For example, the Otherworld of fairies/fae/sidhe/whatever. Time is said to pass very slowly there compared to the rest of the world, which is highly anomalous from a medieval understanding of the world. There's simply no explanation for it. It's an event that does not fit with the common understanding of the world, or any available information or theories as to how the world functions.

But, drop our history machine off in the 20th century or anytime thereafter and bam, you have an explanation for it: relativity. Of course, it fails to explain how travel of that speed was achieved, but it does explain why there's an aging difference between our world and the Otherworld of the fairies/fae/sidhe/whatever. In this context, the aging difference is not anomalous.

So faeries just live in a world that's moving at a significant speed of light compared to us? whoa! blaugh lol Interesting analogy. I never would have thought of something like that.  

AstronomyGirl

Planetary Astronomer

57,900 Points
  • Conventioneer 300
  • That One Hero 500

TYLER09

PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2006 12:23 pm
Endrael
Actually, you're right. Time is a purely human construction sweatdrop It's because of how we perceive the world that we have an impression of time, and so must create a framework for talking about it. From a purely mechanical stand point, any event involving motion can as logically follow a forward path as well as a backward path and be perfectly valid in either direction. (An asteroid being affected by the gravity of bodies around it is a good example.)

And if you want to be really technical, you're traveling through time right now wink It's just in a forward direction. But you're probably wanting time travel into the 'past', yes?

As far as I know, the only way to realistically achieve time travel would be to travel faster than light. If you're familiar with relativity, you'll know the problem with accomplishing this. If not, a summary: the faster you travel, the more energy you need in order to accelerate to a higher speed, because as you accelerate, your mass increases exponentially, until, once you reach the very threshold of light speed (99.9999999999999999...% the speed of light), you'd need infinite energy to accelerate your infinite mass to light speed. This is an obvious impossibility, so what you need to do is find a way around this (a la warp speed from Star Trek).

Faster than light travel has, partially, been accomplished in the lab (you can find the article explaining how it was done in the news thread), but since it's on a subatomic level, chances are it's not going to be very useful for actual time travel, and there's no guarantee that what happens on a quantum level will translate into being effective on an every day scale.

yeah that's true cuz to man the fastest speed is light speed...if you do travel faster than light could u cross demensions...i was wondering because of what a black hole does to light so if u travel faster than light though a black hole could u cross demensions..some scientist think that at the center of a black whole is the essence of time as we know it..  
PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2006 5:09 pm
magicalq91

yeah that's true cuz to man the fastest speed is light speed...if you do travel faster than light could u cross demensions...i was wondering because of what a black hole does to light so if u travel faster than light though a black hole could u cross demensions..some scientist think that at the center of a black whole is the essence of time as we know it..

I dunno if that would happen at a black hole. Black holes just have ESCAPE VELOCITIES faster then the speed of light, they're not nessessairly going faster then the speed of light. And going faster then the speed of light the same effect would happen anywhere, not just going through a black hole.
Though you are right about the center of a black hole possibly containing the essance of time. Space time is a weird thing, and the laws of physics break down at the event horizon, so who knows what goes on past that point.  

AstronomyGirl

Planetary Astronomer

57,900 Points
  • Conventioneer 300
  • That One Hero 500

The_Bartner

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2006 3:15 pm
(can't believe I haven't replied on this topic yet... or just looked over it maybe)

What I wanted to add: I like to think about all those things, but at the end I always have one result: we don't know, it's all speculation. And perhaps, we will never know. "Je pense donc je suis." doesn't work for a black hole: physic laws (might) don't work there, but we'll never be able to check things ourselve in it for example.

So, in a certain way, the only answer is (a) God? Which means in this case something behind physic laws and by that also unprovable. As a mathematician, I'm not a real fan of unprovable things, but there can be and are in this case kinda "entertaining."  
PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2006 6:30 pm
The_Bartner
(can't believe I haven't replied on this topic yet... or just looked over it maybe)

What I wanted to add: I like to think about all those things, but at the end I always have one result: we don't know, it's all speculation. And perhaps, we will never know. "Je pense donc je suis." doesn't work for a black hole: physic laws (might) don't work there, but we'll never be able to check things ourselve in it for example.

So, in a certain way, the only answer is (a) God? Which means in this case something behind physic laws and by that also unprovable. As a mathematician, I'm not a real fan of unprovable things, but there can be and are in this case kinda "entertaining."

Yes. Very good point. 3nodding  

AstronomyGirl

Planetary Astronomer

57,900 Points
  • Conventioneer 300
  • That One Hero 500

radioactive waste101

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2006 5:29 pm
Black holes are an example of that.  
PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2006 7:58 pm
radioactive waste101
Black holes are an example of that.

yea... we've mentioned that already.  

AstronomyGirl

Planetary Astronomer

57,900 Points
  • Conventioneer 300
  • That One Hero 500

Kurzon_Dax

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2007 9:58 am
To the faster then light time travel problem [thats a mouthfull]. Dont know if you've already mentioned this, but the sling shot affect. If you have a fast enough space craft with a very good navigation system, you can shot for a star, in this case a really big one...take the sun for example. You fly, letting you engines [warp, antimatter, whatever] take you in, along with the help of good ol' gravity. You 'sling shot' past the speed of light around the sun , effectivly going backward in time.  
72: Science & Astronomy Hangout

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff