PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2006 4:15 pm
Fem_chan
Hi!
Answer in white:

The girl has 3
The boy has 2!

If you read it through thoughfully, you'll get it. biggrin
Well it did take me a few minutes.

wow, you're good. ^_^ ... I think I get it now. It's that the numbers are _between_ 1 and 5, so those 1 and 5 aren't included in the possible numbers... right? that's the only way I can see it working out...  
PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2006 1:20 pm
AstronomyGirl
Fem_chan
Hi!
Answer in white:

The girl has 3
The boy has 2!

If you read it through thoughfully, you'll get it. biggrin
Well it did take me a few minutes.

wow, you're good. ^_^ ... I think I get it now. It's that the numbers are _between_ 1 and 5, so those 1 and 5 aren't included in the possible numbers... right? that's the only way I can see it working out...

Well, 1 and 5 are included! The possible numbers are 1, 2, 3, 4, 5.
In white the proof for the answer:
The boy don't know whether his number is the biggest or the smallest: so 1 is not possible and 5 either. He has 2, 3 or 4. The girl knows that because she's as intelligent as possible. She looks at her number. She still does not know whether her number is the biggest or the smallest. That means: she has no 1 or 5, but also not 2 or 4. Because if she has 2, the boy must have 3 or 4, so she knows she has the smallest, but she does not know that, so she has not a 2. You can do the same with the 4 => boy has 2 or 3, she knows she has the biggest... All this means she has to have a 3. The boy knows that because he's as intelligent as possible. He has not 1, 5 and also not 3 now. It must be 2 or 4. If he says smaller, the girl knows he has a 2.  

The_Bartner

AstronomyGirl

Planetary Astronomer

57,900 Points
  • Conventioneer 300
  • That One Hero 500
  • Planetary Technician 150
PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2006 9:11 pm
The_Bartner

The boy don't know whether his number is the biggest or the smallest: so 1 is not possible and 5 either. He has 2, 3 or 4. The girl knows that because she's as intelligent as possible. She looks at her number. She still does not know whether her number is the biggest or the smallest. That means: she has no 1 or 5, but also not 2 or 4. Because if she has 2, the boy must have 3 or 4, so she knows she has the smallest, but she does not know that, so she has not a 2. You can do the same with the 4 => boy has 2 or 3, she knows she has the biggest... All this means she has to have a 3. The boy knows that because he's as intelligent as possible. He has not 1, 5 and also not 3 now. It must be 2 or 4. If he says smaller, the girl knows he has a 2.

ah ok. cool. Yea so I was close. That's what I was thinking... just more jumbled up in my head. blaugh  
PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2006 7:35 am
AstronomyGirl
The_Bartner

ah ok. cool. Yea so I was close. That's what I was thinking... just more jumbled up in my head. blaugh

lol, I'll put up another if I think of one.  

The_Bartner

AstronomyGirl

Planetary Astronomer

57,900 Points
  • Conventioneer 300
  • That One Hero 500
PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2006 3:13 pm
The_Bartner

lol, I'll put up another if I think of one.

ok. ^_^  
PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2006 3:25 pm
If 1 + 1 = 4
and 4 + 1 = 1

If 1 + 1 - 3 = ?
What is ?

Hint: think about a clock: 13 AM = 1 PM, 25 AM = 1 AM, so 1 = 13 = 25 = 37 = ...  

The_Bartner

TVBfan125

PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2006 3:04 pm
The_Bartner

I'm just reading this thread, and I'm confused about this one >.<

When teh boy and girl says that they don't know whether their number is the biggest or the smallest, do they mean that they don't know whether their number is the bigger/smaller number of the two chosen? Because if that's the meaning, then superlatives [biggest, smallest] are confusing me @.@ lol I'm being grammar freakish today x]

Sorry if I sound ... I dunno what word to use. But I'm really confused. >.< @.@ sorry for asking x]

PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2006 3:28 pm
TVBfan125
The_Bartner

I'm just reading this thread, and I'm confused about this one >.<

When teh boy and girl says that they don't know whether their number is the biggest or the smallest, do they mean that they don't know whether their number is the bigger/smaller number of the two chosen? Because if that's the meaning, then superlatives [biggest, smallest] are confusing me @.@ lol I'm being grammar freakish today x]

Sorry if I sound ... I dunno what word to use. But I'm really confused. >.< @.@ sorry for asking x]

That's indeed what I wanted to say, but my English isn't that good, I'm sorry.  

The_Bartner

TVBfan125

PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2006 3:54 pm
The_Bartner

That's indeed what I wanted to say, but my English isn't that good, I'm sorry.

No it's ok ^^ I'm easily confused by things that's all x]  
PostPosted: Sat Jul 08, 2006 11:39 am
The_Bartner
If 1 + 1 = 4
and 4 + 1 = 1

If 1 + 1 - 3 = ?
What is ?

Hint: think about a clock: 13 AM = 1 PM, 25 AM = 1 AM, so 1 = 13 = 25 = 37 = ...

arg... this new one is tricky.. I can't get it. sweatdrop  

AstronomyGirl

Planetary Astronomer

57,900 Points
  • Conventioneer 300
  • That One Hero 500

The_Bartner

PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2006 6:42 am
AstronomyGirl
The_Bartner
If 1 + 1 = 4
and 4 + 1 = 1

If 1 + 1 - 3 = ?
What is ?

arg... this new one is tricky.. I can't get it. sweatdrop

Well: 1 + 1 = 2
and 1 + 1 = 4
then you know 2 = 4 in this case.
PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2006 2:28 pm
The_Bartner

Well: 1 + 1 = 2
and 1 + 1 = 4
then you know 2 = 4 in this case.

ah ok. .... nope... still have no idea. ... I need a chance to just sit and think about it, but I haven't had time yet with camp. xp  

AstronomyGirl

Planetary Astronomer

57,900 Points
  • Conventioneer 300
  • That One Hero 500

Corvius

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2007 9:58 pm
The_Bartner
Next riddle !
A boy and a girl each choose a number between one and five. They're both as intelligent as possible.
I take a look at both numbers and tell them the numbers are different.

1 The boy says: I don't know whether my number is the biggest or smallest.

2 Then the girl says: Well, I don't know either.

3 After that the boy says: I know your number now and I know mine is smaller than yours.

4 Then the girl says: Now I know your number too.

Which number has the girl and which the boy?

"I got this and I didn't need any help. I'm not sure if I'm right though."
Boy = 2
Girl = 4

72: Science & Astronomy Hangout

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out