AstronomyGirl

Planetary Astronomer

57,900 Points
  • Conventioneer 300
  • That One Hero 500
  • Planetary Technician 150
PostPosted: Sun Jun 04, 2006 11:35 am
Bewitching_NightShade
Here is an interesting thing about Orion. We all know that he is a hunter, correct? In Australian Aboriginal culture, I am not sure which tribe this is specific to, Orion is the representation of boys hunting emus. Isn't it fascinating that both references to that constellation deal with hunting!

I love stars so much.

really? cool! That's cool how two cultures just happened to have a similar story for the same constellation. Then again Orion does look like a person hunting, so it's not THAT surprising that they do have similar stories.  
PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2006 5:44 am
AstronomyGirl
Bewitching_NightShade
Here is an interesting thing about Orion. We all know that he is a hunter, correct? In Australian Aboriginal culture, I am not sure which tribe this is specific to, Orion is the representation of boys hunting emus. Isn't it fascinating that both references to that constellation deal with hunting!

I love stars so much.

really? cool! That's cool how two cultures just happened to have a similar story for the same constellation. Then again Orion does look like a person hunting, so it's not THAT surprising that they do have similar stories.

But with so many stars in the sky, I find it staggering that they should pick the same ones to call a Hunter.

At the moment, Scorpio is mid heaven. Scorpio the Queen of All Night scuttles across the heavens spreading the cold of winter over the land.

Bewitching_NightShade

AstronomyGirl

Planetary Astronomer

57,900 Points
  • Conventioneer 300
  • That One Hero 500
PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2006 9:28 am
Bewitching_NightShade

But with so many stars in the sky, I find it staggering that they should pick the same ones to call a Hunter.

Ah. yea true. I guess it is not very likely that 2 different culturs would say the same thing about something. That is really interesting.

Bewitching_NightShade

At the moment, Scorpio is mid heaven. Scorpio the Queen of All Night scuttles across the heavens spreading the cold of winter over the land.

Are you in the southern hemisphere? because yes Scorpio is overhead for me right now (in the northern hemisphere) but then it's the start of summer, not winter. There's no spreading of the cold of winter here.  
PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2006 7:46 pm
AstronomyGirl
Bewitching_NightShade

Ah. yea true. I guess it is not very likely that 2 different culturs would say the same thing about something. That is really interesting.

Bewitching_NightShade

Are you in the southern hemisphere? because yes Scorpio is overhead for me right now (in the northern hemisphere) but then it's the start of summer, not winter. There's no spreading of the cold of winter here.

Yes I am in the southern hemisphere, Australia (Adelaide to be exact). Kind of odd to associate Scorpio with heat... I guess that you would get The Pleaides in winter then? That makes up the tail of what my husband and I decided was the summer stallion. It includes Taurus, Pleaides and Aldebran. The stallion and scorpio fight over sky space as the seasons progress.  

Bewitching_NightShade

AstronomyGirl

Planetary Astronomer

57,900 Points
  • Conventioneer 300
  • That One Hero 500
PostPosted: Sat Jun 17, 2006 1:41 pm
Bewitching_NightShade

Yes I am in the southern hemisphere, Australia (Adelaide to be exact). Kind of odd to associate Scorpio with heat... I guess that you would get The Pleaides in winter then? That makes up the tail of what my husband and I decided was the summer stallion. It includes Taurus, Pleaides and Aldebran. The stallion and scorpio fight over sky space as the seasons progress.

lol cool. yea for me scorpio is associated with heat, I can't imagine it bringing cold. blaugh
Yea Taurus is more of a winter constellation, though if you stay up late enough in the summer then you can see it. That's the only time I've even been able to really find it. Well that and it's too cold in the winter to stand outside looking for constellations too long. blaugh  
PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2006 8:13 am
AstronomyGirl
Bewitching_NightShade

lol cool. yea for me scorpio is associated with heat, I can't imagine it bringing cold. blaugh
Yea Taurus is more of a winter constellation, though if you stay up late enough in the summer then you can see it. That's the only time I've even been able to really find it. Well that and it's too cold in the winter to stand outside looking for constellations too long. blaugh

I heart the winter sky. It's so cold and clear. Makes my neck aghe though, looking up at all the shiny things wink  

Bewitching_NightShade

AstronomyGirl

Planetary Astronomer

57,900 Points
  • Conventioneer 300
  • That One Hero 500
PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2006 12:43 pm
Bewitching_NightShade
AstronomyGirl
Bewitching_NightShade

I heart the winter sky. It's so cold and clear. Makes my neck aghe though, looking up at all the shiny things wink

lol yea. The only disadvantage to lots of star gazing is the sore neck you get afterwards. blaugh  
PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2006 1:37 pm
I know a lot of Constellations, but I wouldn't recognize them if I looked up in the sky. There's far too much light at night in the country where I live: light pollution they call it. Anyway, my favorite is Orion, as probably many other people. Where I live you can see it all winter I guess, well almost see it, if you find a dark spot and if there are no clouds... I like the theory about the belt of Orion, where the new stars are born, it has something romantic, I don't know why I think that...  

The_Bartner

AstronomyGirl

Planetary Astronomer

57,900 Points
  • Conventioneer 300
  • That One Hero 500
PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2006 7:16 pm
The_Bartner
I know a lot of Constellations, but I wouldn't recognize them if I looked up in the sky. There's far too much light at night in the country where I live: light pollution they call it. Anyway, my favorite is Orion, as probably many other people. Where I live you can see it all winter I guess, well almost see it, if you find a dark spot and if there are no clouds... I like the theory about the belt of Orion, where the new stars are born, it has something romantic, I don't know why I think that...

lol cool. Yea it's the same situation with me. Too much light pollution, and I see Orion in the winter. 3nodding  
PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2006 2:42 pm
AstronomyGirl
Me? my favourite constellation is... Orion. For a few reasons. Mainly cause it was the first constellation I ever found. I was ... don't even remember, but I was little, and I thought it was so cool that I wrote down the time and day and direction I saw it so that I could find it again some time. Since then Orion has been the constellation that I can find the fastest. any any given time that it's above the horizon, I know where it is. lol.
Since then it's become a nickname for something special to me... which makes the name even more special. ^_^

Lols

I like Orion too, and for the same reason! biggrin But I can never find Taurus next to it x.x;; Books tell me that Taurus is supposed to be near Orion ... or is it? o.o

It's been cloudier these days where I live; I can never find any stars anymore ... and again, light pollution as well.

Orion is actually my favorite - at least I can see it ^^;;

TVBfan125

AstronomyGirl

Planetary Astronomer

57,900 Points
  • Conventioneer 300
  • That One Hero 500
PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2006 7:59 pm
TVBfan125
AstronomyGirl
Me? my favourite constellation is... Orion. For a few reasons. Mainly cause it was the first constellation I ever found. I was ... don't even remember, but I was little, and I thought it was so cool that I wrote down the time and day and direction I saw it so that I could find it again some time. Since then Orion has been the constellation that I can find the fastest. any any given time that it's above the horizon, I know where it is. lol.
Since then it's become a nickname for something special to me... which makes the name even more special. ^_^

Lols
I like Orion too, and for the same reason! biggrin But I can never find Taurus next to it x.x;; Books tell me that Taurus is supposed to be near Orion ... or is it? o.o
It's been cloudier these days where I live; I can never find any stars anymore ... and again, light pollution as well.
Orion is actually my favorite - at least I can see it ^^;;

yay! lol
Yea apparently taurs is kinda near Orion. I haven't been able to find it either though. blaugh  
PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2006 8:06 pm
I usually do my stargazing in the winter...WAY more stars to see then, even though it is colder.

The first constellation I found was the Big Dipper, so of course it's one of my faves. Others that I can find are: Little Dipper, Orion, Taurus, Cygnus, Cassiopeia, Draco, and I think Perseus as well. There might be more, but I can't remember right now. I wish i could see Scorpio, since it's my sign, but I'm too far north. sad

And yes, Taurus is near Orion. I usually find it by looking to the right of Orion, for the Pleiadies (the Seven Sisters, which are on the back of the bull constellation), or by looking for Aldebaran, the bright star on the tip of the bull's horn. When Orion is high enough above the horizon, I also look for Sirius, the dog star.

I only just learned where to look for Perseus and Draco last spring. But it was only once that all of the stars in Draco were bright enough for me to see the whole thing.  

fce5c7a32187df1c0a5ebcaa2

AstronomyGirl

Planetary Astronomer

57,900 Points
  • Conventioneer 300
  • That One Hero 500
PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2006 4:19 pm
Dragon Dream Seeker
I usually do my stargazing in the winter...WAY more stars to see then, even though it is colder.

The first constellation I found was the Big Dipper, so of course it's one of my faves. Others that I can find are: Little Dipper, Orion, Taurus, Cygnus, Cassiopeia, Draco, and I think Perseus as well. There might be more, but I can't remember right now. I wish i could see Scorpio, since it's my sign, but I'm too far north. sad

And yes, Taurus is near Orion. I usually find it by looking to the right of Orion, for the Pleiadies (the Seven Sisters, which are on the back of the bull constellation), or by looking for Aldebaran, the bright star on the tip of the bull's horn. When Orion is high enough above the horizon, I also look for Sirius, the dog star.

I only just learned where to look for Perseus and Draco last spring. But it was only once that all of the stars in Draco were bright enough for me to see the whole thing.

cool.

thanks for the tips on how to find taurus. ^_^ Next time those constellations are up I will definatly try looking for that. 3nodding  
PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2006 7:21 pm
i found this pendant like thing and i wear it as a necklace every now and then but i think it has something to do with astronomy. but im not sure there is no english just lost of pictures and the only words i can find are to small to make out. if i got a picture would anyone be willing to help me to see if this is true?  

dfhhdghfgfg

AstronomyGirl

Planetary Astronomer

57,900 Points
  • Conventioneer 300
  • That One Hero 500
PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2006 8:06 pm
zumiezgirl21
i found this pendant like thing and i wear it as a necklace every now and then but i think it has something to do with astronomy. but im not sure there is no english just lost of pictures and the only words i can find are to small to make out. if i got a picture would anyone be willing to help me to see if this is true?

sure. I would be willing to help. Just post a picture here if you can get one. 3nodding  
72: Science & Astronomy Hangout

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 4 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff