Welcome to Gaia! ::

Echoes of Pern [Closed]

Back to Guilds

A Dragonriders of Pern B/C RP 

Tags: Pern, Dragons, Dragonriders, Role-Play, Fantasy 

Reply [IC RP] High Reaches Weyr
[Horse Clutch Weyrling Lesson] First Solo Flight, Giddy-up! Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 4 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Uta
Captain

Shy Mage

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2020 4:52 pm
ninja

(Rolling for Vardoth's above post)  
Uta rolled 1 4-sided dice: 3 Total: 3 (1-4)
PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2020 4:53 pm
With Vardoth going more and more off course, Ch'el tried to give direction, but panic was starting to set in. His dragon might be cool as a cucumber, but the young Nabolese man wasn't nearly so composed.

Quote:
Is it your hatchday, because you are killing it. Possibly literally, when it comes to the plant life you just demolished on landing, but you know what? You stuck the landing.

Though off course, the dragon finally managed to land--perfectly, too. His eyes whirled a bright blue as he glanced proudly about. That wasn't so bad. He gave a snort, glancing down at the shrubs and saplings he had fallen upon. A worse landing for them than for me, certainly.[/i He mused before looking back towards the crowd.

Shall I try this again? He asked, sending a wave of amusement and joy to His.  

Uta
Captain

Shy Mage

Prism Shine rolled 1 20-sided dice: 3 Total: 3 (1-20)

Prism Shine

Fanatical Egg

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2020 5:03 pm
Drawing a soft breath, Tuelarua gently scratched at Palouseth’s eyeridges. It was time for her first flight, after all. After months of fussing after the accident-prone green, to say that Tuela wasn’t nervous about the possibility of this going foul was a gross underestimate. Yet it had to come. Palouseth was a dragon of Pern; flying was in her blood and bones. It was inevitable. But it had been weeks worth of overfussing to make certain that Palouseth would be in the best shape she could possibly be in. Best chances going in would give the best chances for her first time up in the air to go well.

I don’t mean to make you worry, my heart. I am certain this will go well. Yet as they waited, watching Palouseth’s siblings go up, it was proven that today’s conditions were proving to be a bit tricky. Or were they ready? They would not have us going up if they did not think us ready.

’True..’ There was still the lingering touches of doubt, yet put her best foot forward to send positive waves to her beloved. Negativity would only hamper.

I cannot wait to be able to fly with you. Palouseth pressed her head gently against her rider, making the woman smile. To see your parents. To see new heights for you to paint. I need to be fantastic for you.

Tuela flinched slightly, but leaned in to nuzzle her face against Palouseth’s own. ’You are perfect to me. You have been, and always will be.’

But their turn was rapidly approaching, so they had to seperate. Palouseth, burning with the pride and love of her rider through their bond, was able to keep her head up, despite so many eyes that may have been looking at her. There was work to be done, and she had her sights set upon it. Claws digging in slightly, shaking her wings loose with a few flaps, she set out to run and leap ...

Quote:
You start off strong, but then a gust of wind throws you off your game.

Her wings caught air beneath her, and in great, heavy flaps her paws no longer hit the ground. There’s a momentary start where Palouseth squeaked, yet remembered to tuck her legs in. Let her wings do the work. They had been training for this, she just had to remember it.

’You look fantastic, love!’ Tuelarua was beaming, having given a small shout of victory when the green had made it up successfully.

Palouseth crooned, wings beating strong as the breeze threatened to take her, until it had overpowered her ...

Quote:
The wind blows you well off course, but you use your tail to turn around, heading back toward the group.

Training. Training. She was prepared for this. Tuelarua’s overflowing love and soothing presence helped her to not panic, claws trying to whip the air as her wings struggled to reclaim her control. Using her tail to steer, she coasted from the overpowering gust of wind into a thermal that she could use to her advantage.

It had blown her off course, but within a few beats she had been circling back to the group. She lowered herself to the ground, wings twinging with the new exertion. Yet she was beaming, ready to go into the air once more.

Prism Shine rolled 1 4-sided dice: 3 Total: 3 (1-4)
PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2020 5:04 pm
(And..)  

Prism Shine

Fanatical Egg

faesinger rolled 1 20-sided dice: 11 Total: 11 (1-20)

faesinger

Predestined Cultist

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2020 5:29 pm
Mikkeluth was ready! He would be the best and win thoroughly. Ar’twa, who had been learning through rather painful or embarrassing lessons to be careful, was less ready. It will be fiiiinnne! Mikkeluth cajoled. I will soar high, and far, and ever so gracefully. We will win this!

Quote:
11-15: Psh, this flying thing is smooth sailing! You don't know what all the fuss is about. Except, now that you're here it occurs to you that you don't know how to land. Roll a d4 to see how you do!

It was aaagooony waiting for his turn. As Mikkeluth informed his rider many times. Finally, Finally! It was time. Mikkeluth took off like a pro! Easy peasy! He told Ar'twa. After flying the prescribed amount of time, he called, watch me land! Wait...how to land? Hmmm...no matter he would so wonderfully.

Quote:
Remembering something the Weyrlingmaster said to your rider a few days before, you use your tail to help you turn, but it's not quite enough. You end up, yep, right in the lake. Drat.

What was that thing they had been nattering about yesterday? Tail to help turn. Okay! Mikkeluth twitched his tail as the lake began to come up under him a little faster than expected. No problem, he's got this. Down and turning..down..down...plop. Ar'twa jumped as Mikkeluth disappeared into the lake. Mikkeluth, unfazed popped up to the surface. I won! Again! Again!  
faesinger rolled 1 4-sided dice: 2 Total: 2 (1-4)
PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2020 5:34 pm
(Rolling for post above)  

faesinger

Predestined Cultist

Spockat rolled 1 20-sided dice: 17 Total: 17 (1-20)

Spockat

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2020 5:43 pm
Cartujanth flexed her wings, winding up her tail with concentration. She'd get this! She could do this! She had to, this little green needed to be the best. She was full of confidence, assuring Urzoh left and right. Naturally her rider adopted a fair bit more caution.

Between tripping over her own feet and needing to readjust, it was a difficult ascent. Her wings unsteadily held up her lithe body. Her tail whipping to correct herself in the air. Urzoh's gentle support keeping her tether instead of roaring her little lungs out with panic.

Cartujanth kept flapping and twisting until she righted herself. There! Perfect! SHE WAS DOING IT! And she was not going to stop!
She had no idea where she was going, but now that she was in the air Look Out High Reaches.

When her little wings finally tired, the landing was so much better. Easier! A bit of a skid and some mud scored up between her toes and it was just perfect. Too bad her class wasn't back at the Weyr. Cartujanth did it gloriously (in her mind), she shook her head pridefully. Too bad they were back last! This was totally where she was told to land, right? The sound of Urzoh slapping her palm to forehead was all the answer she needed.  
Spockat rolled 1 4-sided dice: 1 Total: 1 (1-4)
PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2020 5:45 pm
(16-20: How many ways could this possibly go wrong? You've managed to throw yourself completely off course, and honestly, any solution right now seems like a good one. Roll a d4 to see what happens next: )

[For Above]  

Spockat

Hattaki rolled 1 20-sided dice: 11 Total: 11 (1-20)

Hattaki
Crew

Lonely Phantom

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2020 5:51 pm
User Image

Flexing his wings and stretching his body out, Kourith watched those that rose into the sky, both succeeding and failing, before him with interest. Without looking too far into much of their display he nitpicked and broke apart their movements to see what they'd done wrong and the, few, things they'd done correctly. None of them were perfect, though some had come close at least. Khazariath and Othelloth he'd watched closely and snorted through his nostrils at without even giving them a second thought.

You're not being very forgiving considering you haven't flown yet yourself. Verica's voice always ran down his spine like a calming rain, for it had certainly been nerves that had him so judgemental in the moment even if his quick fuse didn't help things either. She knew him though, for her words had found the sorest point on him just as her fingers were running down his speckled neck gently.

I should think you'd know by now that I'll outshine them all, even if it doesn't happen at first it will come whether those of 'rank' are ready for it or not. Red swirled into Kourith's eyes as he suppressed the need to inform his clutchmates of their errors so that they could correct them and become better. If only Verica hadn't been right there he might have, but her restraing was something she'd been working on for both of their sakes even if she wasn't entirely good at it, who was he to impede her attempts at doing such?

While Kourith wanted His to be perfect in every way she was also likely the only one on all of Pern that he was the least bit indulgent with, so it would be.

"It's your turn beautiful, get up there and blow them all out of the air when you do it." Veri's dark eyes sparkled wickedly with her whispered words for him alone, but there were nerves sparking beneath it, concern for his safety.

The blue blew all of those concerns away as he tore away and took off with all the smoothness of one of the acrobats she'd watched all her life, those that had been practiced for turns. Pride swelled in Veri's chest for Kourith as he rushed upwards and began a lazy circle just above the gathering. Lessons and drills and the words of his masters had been heeded, he wasn't about to drift far away and risk danger or their wrath, no the blue wanted to be perfect after all and there was no way to do that if he acted up. Still, he took a few long moments to feel the wind rushing against his ornate blue wings and what appeared to be all but a blue and green rainbow rushed through his facets as Kourith stayed aloft.

If physicality would permit it, he would stay aloft forever, however he had to land eventually and a thought ran through his mind and then a direct cord seemed to twang down to his brightly smiling rider. How did one land again? Certainly there had been copious drills and lessons but in the moment he found he was incapable of remembering even the merest sliver of education on how to touch the ground once more without crashing. Panic didn't suit the situation, he was maybe a little tired but certainly not exhausted yet, still it posed a problem and he found himself circling lower and lower as he tried to best land.

Most of the others had crashed or landed roughly in random areas and he wanted to do this as perfectly as he had taken off, but Kourith couldn't think of how to do so and Verica's mind was blank with worry. A rarity he would need to discuss with her.

My love? This might be less than ideal, could you find a way to meet up with me once I've finished... possibly skidding? The only way to meet an obstacle was head first and landing was no different, though rather than go head first Kourith did what he'd seen some older dragons do and dropped his hind legs first when he approached the ground. Part of him noticed that Verica was sprinting full towards him and an ease came over him as his feet touched dirt, only for his legs to buckle and send him straight onto his broad chest, skidding across the ground just as he'd predicted.

Verica's legs stopped him as she slammed to her knees before him and bundled her blue into her body, hands sliding over him to check that there was no damage. When she discovered none other than the bruise his pride had taken upon looking less than elegant she let out a sighing laugh that shook her whole body and allowed him to break free of her embrace.

"You're gonna be the best one up there, you already are. Now we just need to practice landings, right?" Veri winked an eye at him and Kourith snorted through his nostrils in annoyance once more.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2020 5:53 pm
Okay, "Flying's smooth sailing" but can you LAND?  

Hattaki
Crew

Lonely Phantom

Hattaki rolled 1 4-sided dice: 4 Total: 4 (1-4)

Hattaki
Crew

Lonely Phantom

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2020 5:54 pm
Wow, well it would help if I rolled an actual die. XD;;;  
tatterpixie rolled 1 20-sided dice: 6 Total: 6 (1-20)
PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2020 2:45 pm
Quote:
6-10: It's difficult to get off of the ground to begin with. This requires a lot more muscle strength than you were prepared for, and by the time you're airborne, you are already pretty tired.

T'roi was excited and concerned at the same time. Excited because his beloved bronze Destrierth was going to fly for the first time! And concerned that he had done enough to reduce the weyrling dragon's excessive bulk and increase his muscle mass. Once it had been pointed out to him that Destrierth had a weight problem, T'roi had exercised him, often with another weyrling pair offering encouragement (he couldn't thank D'rok enough for that), and had cut down on the snacking and treats he'd been giving the young bronze. Now the proof would be in the flying.

Don't worry for me, Mine. I will fly strong and well! Destrierth bugled at T'roi, then flapped his wings and made a leap into the air -- and landed on the ground again. Maybe if I try a running start... Flapping furiously, he lumbered forward several dragonlengths until he was finally airborne! He continued to beat his wings, but the effort it had taken to get in the air had taken a toll -- the dragonet was already exhausted. He flapped and flapped, making a circle over the Bowl, then decided to attempt his landing....  

tatterpixie

Tipsy Codger

tatterpixie rolled 1 4-sided dice: 2 Total: 2 (1-4)

tatterpixie

Tipsy Codger

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2020 2:46 pm
Quote:
You've been doing a lot of flaps to prepare for this, and you manage to overcome this temporary hurdle, but ouch, your muscles hurt.

Letting himself soar toward the ground, Destrierth did as he had been instructed, as he had practiced, and backwinged to slow his speed. He stuck out his legs in preparation for landing, and as he used his tail as a rudder to guide himself, he executed a perfect landing. The young bronze's eyes whirled with excitement and pride. He had done it. His wing muscles and legs ached, but he'd done it!

T'roi gave a whoop of triumph and went to throw his arms around Destrierth's neck. "I'm so proud of you," he said into the dragonet's soft hide. "Are you okay with doing it again?"

I am, he responded, his hearts pounding from the effort. He couldn't let His down -- he had to go again!  
demon_pachabel rolled 1 20-sided dice: 12 Total: 12 (1-20)
PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2020 9:55 am
[Take 2]

Khazariath looked like a proper example of humble grace after his not-so-great first attempt, sitting patiently as D'rok took advantage of his siblings taking their turns to check over his dragon for any serious scrapes or broken claws. We will do better next time, D'rok supported, even though he'd not really been involved in the process at all. Khazariath had to believe that, especially as his siblings took to more phenomenal starts than he had.

But it would be his turn again after much soothing and reassurance to what ego the young dragon had.

Quote:
11-15: Psh, this flying thing is smooth sailing! You don't know what all the fuss is about. Except, now that you're here it occurs to you that you don't know how to land. Roll a d4 to see how you do!

His wings less tired than the first, very rough, attempt he'd made, Khazariath was a little more ready to take off this time - and to actually catch some air now that he'd figured out how not to go about it. His nerves had been alleviated by failure, oddly, and knowing that even if he fumbled, there would be no judgement from those he trusted enough with his feelings to actually hurt him.

D'rok mentally pushed him upwards, his heart soaring as he watched his lifemate properly touch the sky this time.

But then a small vein of panic seeped in. Certainly, they'd been taught to take off, but...

Let's see about getting down...

Quote:
Flying is easy peasy, but landing is not for the feint of heart. Thankfully, you're a pro already, and... shaffit, where did that sapling come from? That stung a bit, and totally messed up the cool vibe you had going.

Khazariath may have spent a little bit longer up in the air than he should have, trying to plan out a fine landing that would hopefully not break anything. But he didn't have the experience needed to account for everything. Training didn't make everything go smoothly without practice.

He didn't mean to practically fold the sapling tree over when he landed several yards over from where he'd been planning. But D'rok let out a WHOOP, throwing a hand in the air as he rushed over to greet Khazariath once he was on the ground again. "Look at you! You're a natural!" he beamed proudly. Khazariath tucked his head to nudge his rider's face gingerly and to soak up that praise.

It can still go better. he said, trying to push the poor little tree he'd wrecked back upwards in hopes that it would still be alright. D'rok took a moment to at least try and help. Maybe we can make a sling or something for it later. Trees are hearty.

It'd be fine. Saplings were springy anyways.  

demon_pachabel
Crew

Beloved Werewolf

demon_pachabel rolled 1 4-sided dice: 1 Total: 1 (1-4)

demon_pachabel
Crew

Beloved Werewolf

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2020 9:59 am
(For the above)  
[IC RP] High Reaches Weyr

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 4 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items