Welcome to Gaia! ::

Echoes of Pern [Closed]

Back to Guilds

A Dragonriders of Pern B/C RP 

Tags: Pern, Dragons, Dragonriders, Role-Play, Fantasy 

Reply [IC RP] High Reaches Weyr
[Candidate Lesson] Back to Basics [Ends June 3 @5pm ET!] Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

magnadearel

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2018 11:01 pm
He wasn't all that surprised that the whole candidate group was getting a serious lecture. However, he was surprised when they all received punishment and by what that punishment was. Sadly, he slowly handed over his knots. He'd been so proud to put them on after his sister had searched him just as she'd been searched. Now he felt weird without them.

His hand shot up immediately when Gr'del called for a show of hands. No way did he want to miss his chance at impressing his dragon. Oooo that had to smart! Makim watched as the other candidate left the room. He pulled out a hide and quill slowly, for a long moment he pressed the hide flat, smoothing it out. After everyone had been writing a few minutes, he raised his hand.

After being acknowledged, he asked. "Sir, are these essay questions? If so, how many sentences per paragraph did you want? If not, do you want just a couple of sentences or would bullet points work better? Are we allowed to repeat answers if they fit more than one question? Is this due at the end of lecture, or do we have a couple of days to work on it?" The young man inhaled a deep breath to keep going if he needed to.

Uta

(Quiz to be filled out once he gets his answers. XD)  
PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2018 4:47 am
The pale (but now slightly tanner) candidate watched the Candidatemaster warily; though she didn't know him well at all, having been at the Weyr for barely more than a sevenday, his look and posture were unmistakably angry, and that was...worrisome.  While some might have looked bored, Talis was quietly concerned and vaguely confused.  Once the lecture started, she...continued to be confused and concerned.  And maybe a little offended, because she truly thought she'd followed the rules at the Hatching.  She'd chatted a little with another candidate - was that against the rules and she'd missed it?  Regardless, she did remove her knots, while trying to keep her concerns from growing.

When they were told to raise their hands, she did - not fast and over-eager like some, but deliberately.  After, as the lecture went on, irritation rose within her, though she didn't let it show through.  She hadn't been here for 'Touching after Touching' or 'Hatching after Hatching.'  As far as she was aware, she'd done nothing wrong at her first and only Hatching, so why was she losing her knots?  It wasn't fair!  ...not that anything ever was.  She was used to that, at least.  But her irritation might have found its way into the tone of some of her answers.

Back to the Basics Quiz

Name: Talis

Why do you want to be a dragonrider? To protect those who would otherwise be defenseless against Thread.

Why do you think you were Searched? If Weyrborn, why do you think you have a right to Stand? You'd have to ask the dragon.  Either they think I can be a rider, or they felt sorry for me.

Why did you accept Candidacy? Even if it weren't an honor, it was that or stay in the mines.

What is the most important aspect of being a Candidate? To learn everything we will need to know in preparation for Touchings and Hatchings, and for being a dragonrider in the event that we're chosen.

What do you do if a dragonet looks aggressive, or does something harmful to one of your friends? Stay out of the way.

What do you do if a dragonet attacks you? Don't fight back, protect your vital areas.

How is a Candidate at High Reaches expected to act? With respect and composure.

How do you think you have behaved in recent Hatchings and Touchings? If you've never stood for one, how do you think you should act? I think I behaved well.  I shared sun cream with another candidate, we spoke a little but were respectful of the dragons.  I don't know about him, but I don't remember thinking any negative thoughts about the babies or their parents, and neither of us interfered or tried to touch any hatchlings.  I did as I was told.  

Meepfur
Crew

ShinosBee

Nerd

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2018 9:42 am
Look at them. All these brainwashed peons acting like the loss of some twisted bit of fabric was the worst thing to ever happen to them. Falienn had thrown himself into one of the rearmost chairs in the room, arms crossed and leaning back as if the lecture itself repulsed him. Normally Renose would have been in the seat to his left...but no more. Sharding tailfork'd gone and gotten himself a dragon while Falienn had been at death's door in the infirmary. His looks, his voice, his confidence, his friend now too? Handing over the scrap of fabric was the least of the things High Reaches Weyr had taken from him, only notable because of it being the most recent. He dismissively dropped the thing into the basket with the rest, not even bothering to look upset about it.

And being asked if he wanted to be a rider? He didn't even budge. Arms still crossed, disinterested stare fixated on the candidatemaster. He'd never really had a real choice about it, and now that one was offered, he wasn't exactly going to leap back into a world that'd given him nothing but literal pain. All these people talking about how all the human pain and ruin and death were worth it, just the cost of ensuring the lives of those few precious, special dragons...Maybe it was just because he was immature, and because he had been one of those tapped to directly pay that price, but he called bull. He wasn't worth less than any dragon.

He tracked Sarclos' exit with judgmental eyes. If he was gonna cry about it, why not just raise his hand? Sharding pathetic. At least he himself hadn't raised his hand because he'd really meant it. One or two others also felt the 'sting' of dismissal by G'r'del, and Falienn stood up to take his exit with the rest. As he ducked through the door (Sarclos was still fardling crying what a man-sized crechling) the thought that his actions would probably get back to K'ienn came to mind. Would being a washout be worse to the wingleader than a son who impressed only a green? A boy could dream.

Uta

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2018 11:56 am
Oh. Oh no. The accusations Gr'del laid at the feet of the gathered candidates were like the tangling vines that choked the trees occasionally near Balen. Though Zelaya knew that she could not be personally responsible—having yet to attend either a touching or a hatching (properly at least)—but that didn't mean that she was free of any blame or guilt. She had failed in other ways, undoubtedly. While others in the crowd might be reflecting on their rowdy behavior, their negative thoughts, or any other number of things, Zelaya reflected in contrition upon her actions and inactions since coming to the weyr.

She could have taken more initiative to make friends among her peers. To be a soothing, mindful influence to those who might need reminding of the rules. She needed to be more useful, a better-functioning member of their candidate society. An exemplar of a future wingmate.

She could have worked to temper her worries and anxieties. The seaside clutch hadn't been a problem, but what if her internalized worries had upset a baby? She needed to better handle herself and her distresses, to work through them, and steel her spine for future days. Thread would not be more gentle for her nerves' sake.

She could have done more to prepare herself. Stories and records of hatchings went back to time immemorial. There had been ample accidents, and a bit of research into what had provoked the situations could help to better inform her behavior going forward.

She handed over her knots without hesitation, eyes lingering on them in the basket only so long as it took W'tarl to move on. She had not worn them so long as to feel naked without them. But neither could she present herself to Z'tir again without them. That at least was not a fear of hers. She'd get them back. And she would do better. When her turn to stand did come, she would make Gr'del proud. Z'tir proud. Even if she did not impress, if that was not her fate, she wouldn't be the one to cause the revocation of any knots.

Back to the Basics Quiz

Name: Zelaya

Why do you want to be a dragonrider?
I want to be a dragonrider to repay the life of safety and peace that I was given as a member of a Hold under the Weyr's wings, and because it was asked of me.

Why do you think you were Searched? If Weyrborn, why do you think you have a right to Stand?
I would never presume to know what about me appealed to the bronze that searched me. My father is of the weyr, but I was not raised in familiarity to dragons, and beyond traditional ideals and a willingness to do my duty, it would be prideful to assume any parts of myself to be appealing to dragonkind.

Why did you accept Candidacy?
I accepted the offer of Candidacy in order to better serve my Weyr and Pern itself. It was not the role I saw for myself, but as it is what has been asked of me, it is how I will do my part.

What is the most important aspect of being a Candidate?
The most important aspect of being a Candidate is disciplined obedience. All other traits and accomplishments stem from a solid understanding of the rules, and a dedication to seeing them upheld. The safety and even lives of yourself and those around you will not depend upon anything more than they will depend upon your ability to keep control of yourself and to follow the rules that have been proven effective and necessary over turns back to the beginning of time.

What do you do if a dragonet looks aggressive, or does something harmful to one of your friends?
If a dragonet approaches with an aggressive demeanor, be prepared to move calmly out of its way, while keeping your hands to yourself. If a dragonet takes issue with a fellow candidate, do not intervene, as you may be drown into the issue or make it worse. Be prepared to assist your fellow candidate to the healers if need be once the dragonet has moved on. Keep your thoughts calm and comforting throughout.

What do you do if a dragonet attacks you?
If you are attacked, remain calm and placid in thought. Do not resist, and in some cases going limp may be the best course of action. Shield your vital areas, but do not attack back. Once released, get back to your feet, and seek healer assistance if needed.

How is a Candidate at High Reaches expected to act?
A High Reaches Candidate should comport themselves with humble dignity and dutiful awareness. We should take pride in having been chosen to stand, but not so much that we forget that our candidacy is not a right. Constant awareness of the situation, and the rules we are to live by, will make certain that even should we fail to impress, we will not shame our Weyr or our Candidatemaster.

How do you think you have behaved in recent Hatchings and Touchings? If you've never stood for one, how do you think you should act?
While I have not attended a touching, I understand that my behavior at the near-Fort clutch can and should be reviewed and improved upon. I should be more prepared for a variety of incidents, and allow myself less anxiety about the situation. In future clutches I hope to show more patience, more consideration towards the feelings of the hatchlings, and to present them only with calm and happy welcome to our Weyr.

((RIP all my original answers, Gaia, you suck.))  

ShinosBee

Nerd

Shaddaling

Wrathful Shapeshifter

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2018 7:16 pm
This was not what he expected and while he paid attention to Gr'del there was also a soft worried that one of his siblings or his niece would break under the pressure. Rhylune had just barely became a candidate and she had not been to any touching or hatchling yet.

Loosing the knot was... he was so tired and just so close to aging out anyways it just felt like another little piece chipped away and he would deal later. Now it was just focus and perseverance and just going through the motions a bit longer. He would be twenty six before the next queen rose so it all depended on Gr'del blessing if he stayed.

He doubt he would.

Back to the Basics Quiz

Name: Rylyrr

Why do you want to be a dragonrider? I thought it would be a family trait in a way, Shyn'ar and Aly'on impressed so fast and seemed so happy and in a way I wanted to have what they have. A taste of a relationship meant to go on forever and to make them proud.

Why do you think you were Searched? If Weyrborn, why do you think you have a right to Stand? My mother died and my brothers brought my siblings and I to the Weyr since neither I or Naolin were at age or in a trade to support so many younger siblings. I wasn't searched or Weyrborn so I can not say it is a right, but a privilege that I hope I have not failed miserably at.

Why did you accept Candidacy? Ihiannsith and Gwyllinth

What is the most important aspect of being a Candidate? Adaptability, things shift and you can't control anyone else but have to do your best to migrate either your mistakes or others into something less dire.

What do you do if a dragonet looks aggressive, or does something harmful to one of your friends? Do your best to stay calm. Move out of the way if possible without running. Don't scream, if possible.

What do you do if a dragonet attacks you? Try to protect your vital parts and try to remain calm.

How is a Candidate at High Reaches expected to act? Respectful and dignified

How do you think you have behaved in recent Hatchings and Touchings? If you've never stood for one, how do you think you should act? I stand by my actions though out the past touching and hatching and believe I have acted honorably.  
PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2018 10:50 am
He’s still a bit sore from the surprise hatching, but it doesn’t quite stop him from grinding his teeth slightly as he listens to Gr’del. He keeps his chin up, his shoulders square -- dark eyes following their candidate master, fully attentive like he was for all lessons. He doesn’t like authority. Skirmishes with his father had deep set that rather fuming fire. But his rather bright dislike--near hate--for authority has never stopped him from respecting it. They were here to teach and train, and he learns with a grit in his teeth to better himself. Yet after all the mishaps at the last hatching.. This was to be expected, wasn’t it? So many blunders, and in front of Western too--though they had their own, as well.

As W’tarl collected the shoulder knots, he plucks his own off and sets it in without complaint. It’s but a mere scrap of fabric dyed and twisted on his shoulder. But the symbolism behind it had been a near badge of pride for him. A first step for making himself better than the dirt legacy his father had stuck him with--he was better than an inept drunk widower who tore off into the night to not be seen again. Yet handing over the shoulder knot was perhaps easier than he had expected.

After all, he hadn’t done anything wrong.
...yet, in that same instance, it’s a dawning realization that while he hadn’t done anything wrong… Ielin hadn’t entirely done anything to stop anyone else. Shards, he had even seen and noted some ill behavior, and had only kept to himself. Enabling was almost as bad as committing. They were a group, after all. Not scattered little islands.

His hand raises, almost sharply, at the question. Of course he wants to be a rider. A nibble of curiosity wants him to look at his fellow candidates. But his eyes only stay on Gr’del, taking in his peripheral. Some had raised their hands… some had not. Shame.

Ielin reached, fetching hide and quill to begin writing his own answers for the questions listed -- if a bit short and to the point.

Back to the Basics Quiz

Name: Ielin

Why do you want to be a dragonrider? To protect Pern, prove I’m not some dumb miner.

Why do you think you were Searched? If Weyrborn, why do you think you have a right to Stand? I like to get my work done quick and get done right, I guess.

Why did you accept Candidacy? No family left, bad memories. Wanted to start over. Wanted to do something good with my life.

What is the most important aspect of being a Candidate? To be available to impress to a dragon. Dragons need competent candidates. They’re the important bit.

What do you do if a dragonet looks aggressive, or does something harmful to one of your friends? Give space, think calming thoughts. No sudden moves. If someone’s hurt, get them out of harm’s way when I can.

What do you do if a dragonet attacks you? Stay calm. Cover important bits, get away when I can.

How is a Candidate at High Reaches expected to act? With grace and respect. Not everyone gets to stand, its a privilege.

How do you think you have behaved in recent Hatchings and Touchings? If you've never stood for one, how do you think you should act? I made way for dragonets, stayed calm, thought good thoughts. But didn’t stop other candidates from doing dumb things, so I have to be better. We’re a team, not islands.  

Prism Shine

Fanatical Egg

TheWishling

Feral Phantom

12,375 Points
  • Elysium's Gatekeeper 100
  • Battle: Rogue 100
  • Generous 100
PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2018 11:13 am
The twins had been a bit surprised by being told to come. The hatching had been disappointing for both, but between the two of them? Rune was clearly unhappy, raising her hand when prompted by Gr'del, but those gray eyes burned with a bitter anger, the same that she always seemed to hold. One of Olliah's foundlings, she was perhaps the only one of the two that wasn't well settled in to Weyrlife, though still she completed her duties. The last Hatching had indeed been a disaster, but Rune had behaved, stayed in the back, and kept herself in check. Didn't mean that perhaps she wasn't at fault for something.

Of course she wanted to be a Rider, even if it was mainly for the freedom. Out came hide and quill and she began.

Back to the Basics Quiz

Name: Rune

Why do you want to be a dragonrider? To protect the place that took myself and my twin in when Thread took everything away.

Why do you think you were Searched? If Weyrborn, why do you think you have a right to Stand? Because I have what it takes to lead. I am strong and stubborn, and willing to do whatever it takes.

Why did you accept Candidacy? Because living in the weyr with nothing to do was not an option, and I wasn't leaving Rhys alone.

What is the most important aspect of being a Candidate? Being there for the dragons. They're the most important things, right?

What do you do if a dragonet looks aggressive, or does something harmful to one of your friends? Back off, stay calm, and do not immediately react. Do not reach out to grab the dragon, assist when able.

What do you do if a dragonet attacks you? Remain calm, cover what you can, if you can, do not grapple or grab at the hatchling.

How is a Candidate at High Reaches expected to act? Calm, Poised, well behaved. It's an honor to stand, not something you get to do for fun.

How do you think you have behaved in recent Hatchings and Touchings? If you've never stood for one, how do you think you should act? I stay in the back during hatchings. I respect the dragonets and their safety. I'm here for them, not to make friends and play nice. Touchings, I never do anything to make the Gold angry, or the eggs upset. I've been well behaved.  
PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2018 11:37 am
Rhys had figured this lecture might come up. Calmly, he shifted in his seat, listening to Gr'del's anger. He was right. Behavior had been shoddy, and the younger twin may not have contributed, but he certainly hadn't stopped anything. Being a Rider was his dream. He wanted it more than anything in the world, and with his oft times go-to companion being a Queen and her rider, he had to wonder...Maybe, was he misbehaving? Had his relationship with Fianth and Olliah caused him to lapse? Up went his hand, then out came hide and quill and he was quick to write, every detail meticulously scrawled by his hand.

Back to the Basics Quiz

Name: Rhys

Why do you want to be a dragonrider?
I feel like it was kind of meant to be. I want to protect this weyr, and Pern as a whole. One of the Queenriders is like my mother, and I would do anything for her and her Dragon.

Why do you think you were Searched? If Weyrborn, why do you think you have a right to Stand?
Because I am intelligent. I am smart, and able to learn quickly. Good at following orders, and keeping record and note of everything that goes on.

Why did you accept Candidacy?
Because...I didn't have anywhere else to go, if I were to be honest. I could have continued on with my training in my Craft, sure, but I would've been apart from my sister. Also, after meeting Fianth, I fell in love with what little I can understand of a Dragon and Rider's bond, and wanted to see it for myself.

What is the most important aspect of being a Candidate?
The dragons. We are here for them, not for ourselves, and must ensure that we are there for them at any turn. They are the future of Pern, and we must be ready to stand with them.

What do you do if a dragonet looks aggressive, or does something harmful to one of your friends?
You must stay calm. First and foremost understand that becoming aggressive or running, showing fear or anger, can upset the dragon further. Harming them is absolutely out of the question. Do not run, or react in a way that might cause the dragonet to attack. Should one of your friends be attacked, stay out of the way until you are able to get your friend out of the way, and get help.

What do you do if a dragonet attacks you?
Remain Calm first. Do not try to attack the dragonet back. Cover your vitals, try to remain conscious and alive.

How is a Candidate at High Reaches expected to act?
With grace and dignity. We represent a proud weyr, and to act in a way that would bring disgrace on the weyr is to disrespect the weyr itself. We must remain calm and poised, and never wish harm or anger upon the dragonets. We are to stand tall and sure.

How do you think you have behaved in recent Hatchings and Touchings? If you've never stood for one, how do you think you should act?
I would like to think I've been poised and calm, and that maybe...MAYBE I haven't done anything wrong, but I'm not so proud as to say I've never. If I have, I will remedy it, and endeavor to be better in the future.  

TheWishling

Feral Phantom

12,375 Points
  • Elysium's Gatekeeper 100
  • Generous 100

Uta
Captain

Shy Mage

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2018 11:23 am
magnadearel

Gr'del stiffened when the question was asked. He turned to stare down Makim, jaw stiffening, scowl deepening. Of all the times to ask questions, now wasn't one of them. If he had to spell it out for the child.... Mph. Siriath reminded him to have patience, and sent a surge of calm and affection; an unknown barrier between Makim and Gr'del's unusual irritation.

"Write as much or as little as you feel you need to properly answer the query. It's not an essay, but you're not leaving this room until this paper is in my hand. Those who don't finish it, or find they can't, will be following Falienn and Sarclos and the rest to my quarters to . . . figure out what's to be done." He gave a snort.

Speaking up, he told all the Candidates, "I will be reading each and every one of these. If your answers leave me doubting your dedication, you can bet we'll talking privately and your future as a Candidate might well be in jeopardy."

Candidacy was an honor, not a game, not a pass time, not a joke. He would find out who needed a one-on-one soon enough.

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2018 10:14 pm
He'd been about to ask more questions, but the look from the candidatemaster stopped the words in his throat. He'd have to settle for the answer he'd gotten and just be happy with it. Makim settled back in to his seat, "yes sir. Thank you sir."

His brow wrinkled as he eyeballed the questions. He had to do well! He didn't want to disappoint his sister and be kicked from candidacy.

Back to the Basics Quiz

Name: Makimton

Why do you want to be a dragonrider? To be like my sister. To make my sister and family proud. To defend Pern from Thread.

Why do you think you were Searched? If Weyrborn, why do you think you have a right to Stand? To be available if my dragon hatched.

Why did you accept Candidacy? My sister is a dragonrider, and I want to be like her.

What is the most important aspect of being a Candidate? Being prepared mentally and physically to tend our dragon once they've found us. If we aren't there, then they might go between.

What do you do if a dragonet looks aggressive, or does something harmful to one of your friends? Think soothing thoughts at it, politely ask it to not harm others.

What do you do if a dragonet attacks you? Try not to scream or flail around.

How is a Candidate at High Reaches expected to act? With pride and humility. Dignity and grace and courage.

How do you think you have behaved in recent Hatchings and Touchings? If you've never stood for one, how do you think you should act? I believe the surprise hatching went quite well! Barring the one egg that took hours to hatch, but I'm glad it hatched a healthy dragon.  

magnadearel

The_Muffin_Puppy

Irregular Puppy

9,450 Points
  • Interstellar Fixer 25
  • Doggone It! 100
  • Dragon Master 50
PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2018 3:03 pm
Oh this was absolute herdshit! Ticene was hunched over the desk, her jaw working as Gr'del kept talking. About how being a candidate was an honour. A privilege. Usually it wouldn't have sparked such anger in her, but with everything else? When he had commanded they remove their knots, Ticene hadn't gasped as others had. The sound that came from her was a more disbelieving and perhaps a touch disgusted 'kuh' sound.

Did he think this was how he would get them all to behave. Insult them? Belittle them? Punish all for the actions of a few? What did they think would happen from that? Were they to ostracise those that didn't keep to the rules? Come running to Gr'del to tattle if they didn't think someone was trying hard enough? Damn right Ticene didn't think she was part of the problem. Gr'del can say he doesn't want excuses all she wants, but it's his job to keep candidates in line, to make sure they're fit to stand, not hers. Ticene was not responsible for Gr'del's charges. Listen to the Wingleader. The one in charge. So him then? Or was she supposed to attempt to assert herself over other candidates to make them listen. Knock them around a bit perhaps?

Ticene removed her knot without complaint. If she was being honest, she'd not really seen the point of candidate knots. Of everyone in the Weyr constantly marking their rank. It didn't really hurt her to relinquish the strip of fabric. Perhaps she hadn't been here long enough to grow attached to it. The candidate returned to crossing her arms, nails digging into the flesh of her upper arm as one leg bounced. The teen barely restraining her frustration as the candidatemaster went on. She considered not raising her hand. Just out of spite. However, it was true. Ticene was here to impress. To be a dragonrider. Her hand rose, not with the enthusiasm of the other, a simple bend of the elbow that stayed pressed to the table, before she swiftly brought it back down.

Candidates were sent out for raising their hands and Gr'del's next part made it so hard not to roll her eyes. Fresh off the dragon's back? So not much of a step back then? Did that mean she was allowed to forget all this? Was he going to follow his own words and treat them as though this was the start? Or was everyone still held accountable for their actions from before today?

Oh, I have I now. Ticene thought venomously to herself at the idea of bringing shame to the Weyr. Funny, because she had no memory of attending any touchings. She'd attended one hatching, on a beach, last minute, in the middle of nowhere. Had she brought shame then? How exactly? Her anger at this chewing out roiled inside her. Here came the appeal to emotion. Ticene glanced around and spotted several candidates already in tears. Before today, the candidate hadn't had much to say about her master other than he was 'fine'. Now she had something new to add. Overemotional. All this insulting, and yelling, was it going to fix anything? Ticene didn't think so. Those that thought themselves too good would just go on anyway and those that were upset by this would most likely be nervous wrecks the next time a hatching came around. Too frightened of doing something wrong to engage their brains.

Ticene looked down at the hide in front of her. She picked up her quill and began carving her name with deep, harsh, strokes.

Back to the Basics Quiz

Name: Ticene

Why do you want to be a dragonrider? (The somewhat lighter strokes of this answer indicate this question was skipped and returned to.) There wasn't anything else.

Why do you think you were Searched? If Weyrborn, why do you think you have a right to Stand? I don't pretend to know why dragons make the choices they do.

Why did you accept Candidacy? Do you want to be a fishwife?

What is the most important aspect of being a Candidate? Apparently not getting yourself, other candidates or dragons killed.

What do you do if a dragonet looks aggressive, or does something harmful to one of your friends? (This word is carved in especially deep.) Nothing.

What do you do if a dragonet attacks you? Curl into the fetal position. Protect your stomach and head.

How is a Candidate at High Reaches expected to act? Like the bottom of the heap that we are. Do what you're told. Don't talk back. Don't think for yourself. Hope that eventually a dragon will take you on.

How do you think you have behaved in recent Hatchings and Touchings? If you've never stood for one, how do you think you should act? I've never attending a Touching. According to lessons I should be level-headed, calm and respectful. Hatchings seem to be the same rules. To the best of my knowledge I kept to that.  
PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2018 5:31 pm
Sitting back and listening to Gr'del tear into them all, Lucius knew they deserved it. The way the past few hatchings and touchings had gone had been pretty bad, though he was glad it hadn't been a High Reaches Candidate that had almost gotten eaten by the Gold at Western, it had been one of their candidates that had gotten bewitched by one of the eggs and caused some of them to get angry, he couldn't remember the name of that candidate though.

As W'tari went around and collected their knots, Lucius held his in his hand, looking it over and waiting before he placed it in with the others. Lord did he feel like s**t because of this, did it make him a failure to lose those knots? What would happen if Gr'del decided to not let him be a candidate again? He had no home or family to go back to, they were all gone. Well, there was his Twin but he didn't really know where she was at the moment either.

His hand rose when they were asked if they really wanted to be a dragonrider. His shoulder ached some from how high he raised it, but he wanted to make sure Gr'del knew he was focused on this. He knew he could get impatient about waiting for his bonded to find him, but it was just because he was excited. He wanted to be a Dragonrider, to fly like the heroes in the stories, fighting Threadfall and protecting others.

As soon as they were told, he pulled out his hide and quill and went straight to work on writing. His handwriting was messy, though it was still legible at least.

Quote:
Back to the Basics Quiz

Name: Lucius

Why do you want to be a dragonrider? I want to be able to do my part and help to protect Pern from Thread.

Why do you think you were Searched? If Weyrborn, why do you think you have a right to Stand? I'm strong and courageous, willing to put my life on the line to help save and protect others. I mean, I'm not going to throw my life away for anything stupid, but I know there is danger in standing and becoming a dragonrider.

Why did you accept Candidacy? Because....when Thread returned my aunt and uncle and their farm were destroyed. I didn't have anywhere to go and I was going to turn down the dragonrider that searched me because they needed me. I wanted to be a dragonrider still, it's always been something I wanted.

What is the most important aspect of being a Candidate? The Dragons of course. We aren't Candidate's if it wasn't for them, we are here for them to pick out their bonded and wait patiently for the chance to find out own. We have to make sure they are the ones protected, compared to them, we are not special at all.

What do you do if a dragonet looks aggressive, or does something harmful to one of your friends? Do your best to keep calm, and try and keep your friends calm. Thinking anything aggressive or angry at the Dragonet might make then between and we lose a future fighter and protector of Pern. You can't allow yourself to freak, though you can help your friend once the dragonet has left. But keep your thoughts clear or any negativity.

What do you do if a dragonet attacks you? Keep Calm and go limp. Try and protect anything that is precious or important, but do not do anything to harm the dragonet. Try and keep your thoughts from being panicked or angry at them for attacking you either.

How is a Candidate at High Reaches expected to act? With pose and dignity. We are the shining example of how things should be. We must hold to those standards and teachings.

How do you think you have behaved in recent Hatchings and Touchings? If you've never stood for one, how do you think you should act? I believe I have done everything in the right way. I have done my best to keep my thoughts positive, without any negativity in it. I have not gotten in the way of a dragonet that was looking for it's bonded, or gone near any that seemed scared or nervous, even if I wanted to help them. Offering helpful thoughts towards them is all the encouragement I have given them.

He stared at the parchment in front of him, chewing his lips as he did. He hoped that everything was right and that Gr'del would allow him to get his knots back. If not...what was he going to do?  

BastetAmun

Feral Hunter

9,200 Points
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Trick or Treat 100

Tsunake
Crew

Territorial Friend

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2018 2:36 pm
Giving up his Candidate knots? Absolutely not one of Dyzrak's favorite things to do. He kept silent as he handed it over to the Assistant Candidatemaster, keeping his features schooled. The one boy that ran out blubbering like a black ovine... well, he was hard-pressed to roll his eyes and snort, but he resisted the temptation. He had no intention of getting tossed out, even if he thought this whole thing was stupid as all get out. Let those who were idiots get themselves killed!

As for the dragons....

Well. Alright. Dead dragons weren't okay.

The questions were eyed idly, and the boy already knew he'd be fudging his answers to more 'acceptable' ones. Well. Mostly.

Quote:
Back to the Basics Quiz

Name: Dynzrak

Why do you want to be a dragonrider? Pern needs dragonriders. People forgot that before Thread came back. I want to be one of the people who fights against Thread, not hide from it.

Why do you think you were Searched? If Weyrborn, why do you think you have a right to Stand? I don't know. I'd like to think they saw talent, charisma... something. I don't think they care about good looks.

Why did you accept Candidacy? Who wouldn't jump at the chance to have a dragon? I'd rather be helping to fight Thread than spending the rest of my life on a farm, praying that everything I work for doesn't get devoured one day.

What is the most important aspect of being a Candidate? Remembering that most people never even get a chance to Stand. If I ******** around, don't take things seriously, or act like I don't want to be here... there's a lot of people who'd eagerly take my place.

What do you do if a dragonet looks aggressive, or does something harmful to one of your friends? Get out of its sharding way. Get my friend back up once the dragonet moved on. And don't interfere until it really moved on.

What do you do if a dragonet attacks you? Keep calm, keep still, try not to die. Probably curl up, try to protect my guts and head.

How is a Candidate at High Reaches expected to act? Not like a headless wherry. We're High Reaches, not some other Weyr. We're the best of the best, and we've gotten the best training there is.

How do you think you have behaved in recent Hatchings and Touchings? If you've never stood for one, how do you think you should act? I thought I acted fine. Maybe not. Maybe I need to think better. Like. Yeah, sure, I'm looking for my dragon, but still keep my thoughts open and calm for other ones too, so I don't upset them.

Huh. Looks like he took it a bit more seriously than he thought he would. Well, whatever. Only an idiot would want to get thrown out, right?  
Uta generated a random number between 1 and 16 ... 7!
PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2020 7:24 pm
Two years later... let's wrap this and roll this.

1. Tsunake
  2. Thaliawen
  3. faesinger
  4. demon_pachabel
  5. Mr Cheri
  6. LyriaSilverfrost
    SilverLutz
  7. Hattaki
  8. magnadearel
  9. Meepfur
  10. ShinosBee
  11. Shaddling
  12. Prism Shine
  13. TheWishling
  14. The_Muffin_Puppy
  15. BastetAmun

1. SilverLutz
    User Image

Uta
Captain

Shy Mage

Uta generated a random number between 1 and 15 ... 8!

Uta
Captain

Shy Mage

PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2020 7:25 pm
Two years later... let's wrap this and roll this.

1. Tsunake
  2. Thaliawen
  3. faesinger
  4. demon_pachabel
  5. Mr Cheri
  6. LyriaSilverfrost
    SilverLutz
  7. Hattaki
  8. magnadearel
  9. Meepfur
  10. ShinosBee
  11. Shaddling