Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Cheri

Vice Captain

Interstellar Pirate

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2018 12:55 pm

Well, the poor girl was about dead, now. Illa rubbed her temples, thinking through what to say next, if anything. No one and nothing had trained or prepared her for this moment. Shells, she didn't have any children of her own, let alone any old enough to need this kind of talk.

"Nadry, you've been told all your life that it's wrong. Truth be told, it's like any other thing - wrong is only in the intent. If you're not hurtin' someone else or yourself, there's nothin' wrong. But the important thing is t' try not t' be afraid. Stay as calm as y' can, an' if that means focusin' on your handsome boy there, then so be it. Being afraid will make it harder than it needs t' be."

Meepfur

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2018 1:14 pm
If Nadry had had any idea the sort of imposition this was on Illa, she would have felt even worse, but she was in such awkward knots of preoccupation with how uncomfortable she was thst she was more or less incapable of registering much else beyond her own embarrassment. Not that she wasn't listening, or absorbing - unlike during the actual lesson on Flights - because she was. And eventually, she would appreciate this, but in the moment it was...uniquely mortifying.

"Okay," she managed to squeak out at last. "I...think I can do that." It couldn't be that bad, right? She'd made it through the bulk of weyrling training - shards, it wouldn't be long until their first Threadfall - and that was stuff that was actually dangerous and also supposedly not appropriate for her to be doing, so. Why should this be scary?

Mx Cherie

Meepfur
Crew

Cheri

Vice Captain

Interstellar Pirate

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2018 1:21 pm

"Y'know, Nadry... dragonriders are much, much better about this than mercs. I'm glad you're learnin' this stuff in civilized company. They're good folk, an' they won't make it unpleasant. An' if you like somebody, well, just go ahead an' like them, hey?" No harm in it, after all.

Illa gave Nadry a reassuring look. "Myself, I don't feel anythin' for anybody, or want anythin' with anybody unless I know 'em, an' like 'em. So... bein' a rider, especially to a Brown, well, it's a new thing. But not scary, see? Just new."

Meepfur

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2018 1:46 pm
Nadry gradually got a little less red as it began to look like the worst was over, and there might even have been a brief, strained laugh at mention of 'civilized company.' This was all just about the exact opposite of what she'd been raised to view as civilized. Not that it wasn't. "I've already done all sorts of stuff I wasn't supposed to," she reasoned with a tiny smile, "So what's another one, right?"

The information about Illa herself was met with a tilted head, curious, and a nod. That...sounded like a perfectly reasonable way to be. "Very new." And still a bit scary, but not as scary. She unfolded from herself, giving Sir the freedom the climb back to her shoulder and stretch. "I, um. Thank you. I'm sorry Menankith roped you into this. He was going to ask Ichta, but Aurinkoth is..."

Busy.

Mx Cherie

Meepfur
Crew

Cheri

Vice Captain

Interstellar Pirate

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2018 2:42 pm

Leaning back a bit, Illa nodded. "We all do things we're not s'pposed to. Trick is to do things that are right. An' don't second guess yourself. No reason in th' world that you shouldn't be as free as any of th' boys." And if Illa heard anything about anyone giving Nadry a hard time, well.

Meepfur

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2018 3:19 pm
It was no wonder her family had been horrified when she'd been Searched, with such terrible, corrupting influences to be found in the Weyr. Menankith could complain all he wanted about some of the strictures placed on them - and rightly so - but compared to her little cothold, High Reaches was a haven of free thinking. Now that she could actually see it, since she wasn't closing it out as she had before her impossible dragon had decided to shake up her life.

Nadry nodded and reached up a hand to scritch under Sir's chin, letting go of at least some of the tension she'd been holding. "I guess I needed reminding." She knew what Illa was telling her, more or less, but had been much too preoccuppied with doubt and fear of the unknown to see and accept that it also applied in this particular area. Not that she was ready to take a peek out her door and grab the likeliest looking suspect, but. Baby steps. "I'm not sure what I'll do when it...when it gets to that, but I do feel better than I did."

As long as she didn't overthink it. Ha. Easy, right?

Mx Cherie

Meepfur
Crew

Cheri

Vice Captain

Interstellar Pirate

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2018 8:15 pm

In Illa's opinion, had she been asked, there was nothing horrifying about being in a Weyr. Except perhaps the strange blindness to the struggles of those within. As a female Brownrider, she both encountered those, and was yet given certain privileges her male Greenriding mate did not possess. It was an interesting situation, to be sure... and going through it all at Nadry's age? With Nadry's background? Was it any wonder the girl was confused?

Illa rest her back against the wall, watching the quiet young rider. "Happen most of us need remindin' from time to time. But you'll get it. Don't you worry about the when and the how. Just worry about what's inside your head, and the rest will take care of itself."

Meepfur

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2018 9:18 pm
There was an awful lot inside her head these days, more than enough to think on and worry about even without the potential for...extracurricular activities, Flight-driven or otherwise, but that was one worry that wasn't life-threatening, at least. Which might well have had something to do with why it was so easy to get wrapped up worrying about it; it was also something of a distraction from other things that could be truly frightening. Not that that had dawned on her, or was likely to anytime soon.

"I hope so." With his cuddles no longer urgently required, Sir now opted to climb his way onto his owner's head, prompting a twitch of a frown. That was- This was a serious conversation, and Nadry did not need his tail in her face. She plucked him off, set him back in her lap, and willed him to stay there and behave. They had important company! "So much about all of this is so new still, and just when I start to think I'm getting used to it, there's something else."

In a matter of months, her life had become completely unrecognizable - although that wasn't a bad thing - and she felt like she was still catching up to herself. Whoever that was.

Mx Cherie

Meepfur
Crew

Cheri

Vice Captain

Interstellar Pirate

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2018 6:06 pm

"Trust yourself, Nadry. Trust your dragon. Menankith won't steer you wrong." Illa leaned over and nudged Nadry's shoulder encouragingly. "Need anything else? All sorted?"

This will be easier in time, Fenrith said encouragingly, his deep voice full of reassurance and calm. Nothing about being Menankith's rider would harm her! They might risk themselves to Thread, but other riders were no danger.

Meepfur

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2018 8:49 am
"All sorted," Nadry affirmed with a nod and a little smile. Fenrith was a reassurance as well, and hisbwords widened her smile. Mostly sorted. Maybe. For the moment, at least, it didn't seem like quite the ordeal she had managed to work it up to be. There were other things to focus on, anyway, that objectively were of far greater importance, although she'd thus far avoided obsessing over them (...by obsessing over something else).

Speaking of those, there were at least manageable elements she could focus on. "Actually, since you're here, could you show me again how to pin my hair up?"

Better to go over it again now and make sure she had it right; it was probably silly, but she did not want to end up having to cut her hair, or worse.

Mx Cherie
probably close to a wrapping point if you want? this way though they can go out on a non-awkward note, ha.

Meepfur
Crew

Cheri

Vice Captain

Interstellar Pirate

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2018 10:17 am

"'Course," Illa said, unbraiding her locks to better demonstrate. "You're goin' t' need pins and a thong to tie your hair with." Given that Thread could fall at any moment, Illa always kept a supply of pins on hand, in case she needed to quickly tuck her hair under her riding helmet.

Slowly, so that her audience could make out every detail, she began to secure her hair. "Braidin' it will make your hair stay in place a little better, if you have time. But if not, what you'll want t' do is twist it together like this, see?"

Meepfur

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2018 6:07 pm
Nadry watched Illa as she always did when she was teaching or showing her something, with rapt attention and no small amount of admiration. There was little risk of her ever missing or disregarding any part of any lesson (even awkward ones) from her senior, when she hung on every word. From combat to hair-braiding to everything in-between, Nadry soaked up every lesson and trusted every piece of advice, without question.

Pins and thong were quickly fetched the moment they were mentioned, leaving Sir Moustache on the bed to blort about how suddenly he'd been set aside, and she watched carefully - noting, not for the first time, how very lovely Illa's blonde hair was - before imitating the same motions. "Like this?"

With this, at least, she had been a far quicker study than she had with, say, hitting things. It was hardly an impressive skill or something she could take all that much pride in, but it was nice, every once in a great while, to get something right the first time.

Mx Cherie

Meepfur
Crew

Cheri

Vice Captain

Interstellar Pirate

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2018 5:10 am

Watching Nadry closely, Illa took note of how swiftly the girl caught on. "That's it. Just like that. You keep that up an' you'll be just as fast as me in no time." Which would be to her benefit. Everyone on Pern had an opinion about how one should wear one's hair - especially whether a lady rider should cut her hair off - and it helped to shut up the naysayers when one could tie it up like that.

"Now do it again. Faster."

Meepfur

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2018 6:24 am
Nadry lit up at the approval from her mentor, responding with a beaming smile. She would have hated to have to cut her hair, when it was the one physical attribute she'd always been able to take pride in. Even if the rest of her was nothing special, at least her hair was nice. To not have it would have been...jarring. Not that she would trade being a rider for anything, but she would rather be a rider with nice hair. That Illa had persisted in it without incident was encouraging.

Bid to do it faster, she undid what she had just done and started over, this time a little more conscious of being watched, and concerned about going quickly enough to please her teacher. This resulted in a bit of a slip, a pin dropped when she got ahead of herself - shards! - but she had no shortage of those, at least. The end result was a tiny bit faster, but not appreciably so.

Sir Moustache hopped off the bed to retrieve the lost pin and offer it up with a helpful trill. Flushing, flustered that she'd slipped up, Nadry stooped to accept it. "...Got a little ahead of myself."

Mx Cherie

Meepfur
Crew

Cheri

Vice Captain

Interstellar Pirate

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2018 8:19 am

Getting to her feet, Illa examined Nadry's handiwork. "I expect that you will practice this at least twice a day. Better if more. Just do it right, then do it fast. An' every time you do it, you'll get a little faster. It's like with fightin' - practice makes perfect. No reason you can't be th' best shaffin' rider in your Wing, girl."

"Anythin' else that y' need, or shall I head on out? Are y' keepin' up with your drills?"

Meepfur

[IC RP] High Reaches Weyr

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces