Welcome to Gaia! ::

Echoes of Pern [Closed]

Back to Guilds

A Dragonriders of Pern B/C RP 

Tags: Pern, Dragons, Dragonriders, Role-Play, Fantasy 

Reply [IC RP] Western Weyr
[Spooky Clutch Weyrlings] Fly So High! [Open!] Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit
Smerdle rolled 1 6-sided dice: 6 Total: 6 (1-6)

Smerdle

Scamp

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2018 1:26 pm
Prior to his second attempt, Aleyath called forth memories of the brief practice sessions he and O'len had engaged in. They'd been chaotic affairs ending in minor scrapes and a string of curses that his rider had immediately apologized for. As if he needed to shield Aleyath from words. As if the dragon didn't find O'len's swearing to be some of the funniest noise he'd ever heard. As if the way his stomach dropped as he flailed and fell wasn't a thrill that nearly matched the one he felt when he took a thing that wasn't his.

The brown didn't have words for any of this. He also couldn't explain how mundane the world sometimes was in his head, how twisting everything until it was new was probably his favorite pastime, but he knew for sure he wasn't afraid, and no superior comments about how great the air was ten feet up were going to encourage him to join his pompous brothers any quicker. This was just a puzzle to be solved and he was so very close to solving it.

He tried to consider what had gone wrong so far, but all he could come up with was not enough flapping, so... he flapped more. The brown fought the wind until his back burned, panting with the effort once the gusts died. O'len didn't congratulate him mind-to-mind or cheer out loud, probably feeling the dragon's sudden distaste for it, but Aleyath sensed his pride and was secretly grateful for it. He caught a favorable updraft, closing his eyes as he silently climbed higher.

Quote:
6. Some mixed results on this windy day! Do you wait to see how others manage before making an attempt or do you spread those wings and fly?
Average Dergs Well, you manage to fight your way up through the wind, but find yourself struggling until the gusts die down.

Hattaki rolled 1 6-sided dice: 2 Total: 2 (1-6)
PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2018 1:33 pm
Seirath is a Motivated Weyrling baby.

2. Confidence suits you! Motivated Dragons: Some of your siblings might not be sure about this flying thing, but you take to the sky with ease. You manage to leap high and your downstroke is sure. You find yourself airborne without a hitch or stumble!

Maybe it was different for others, maybe there was fear to be had in the hearts of those that saw the sky as terrifying, but there was certainly no doubt in Seirath's mind how well she would do once her feet left the ground and as such Amra was breathing easily. While the tall woman had her emotions completely in check and made certain not to show anything that might betray her inner feelings, she was proud and even a little bit excited to see how well her beloved green would do once she was up in the air. For Seirath existed to stand out and show off, though she'd been working carefully with her to overcome that particular perceived flaw that existed in her dragon it was there nonetheless and knowing that something like this was coming, the two had been practicing endlessly. That was what would make it perfect, all the practice and all the drills and all the fun.

She had to make it fun for her dragon after all, she loved to sing and dance and enjoy everything that life had to offer her, so Amra made certain not to let her overachieving personality squash her dragon's natural joy and creativity. If she had her way they would be working all the time and dancing when the sun fell during free times, but she loved all the singing.

This will be the most exciting thing we've done so far! Are you ready to see me shine my lady? I can outfly all of them!

"Don't aspire to leave your sisters and brothers in the dust dearest one." Amra laughed and ran her hands over Seirath's muzzle and over her cheeks down to her neck and shoulders as if to wipe the idea even out of her mind. "I just want to see you fly the best that you can fly and make me proud. This is your first time, so don't overdo it and hurt yourself, there will be so many chances."

If a dragon could roll it's eyes that was what her little green did in that moment, but she fluttered her delicate wings instead and spread them out wide to stretch them and feel the gusting breezes that were passing over her little body. It was going to be a hard day to try and fly for the first time but she had confidence in herself and knew that if any dragon could do it that she could, though it was possibly more confidence in all of her rider's training and drilling that the pair had been doing in their free time. Seirath was ready for this, this was what she had been born for and was what she had been so excited to try ever since her muscles had strengthened and she'd begun to grow in bursts with each passing week and month.

Rolling her shoulders the little green waited for her cue and then shot forward like a bolt, letting her smaller size and light step work to her advantage as she readied her wings and without so much as a foul step she bounded into the air and her wings caught enough air to send her soaring straight up. A ringing trumpet of joy erupted from her as it happened and she beat her wings as deeply as she could to keep climbing ever upwards in the sky, twisting her body at the top of her ascent so that she could look down at her siblings to see who had come to join her. Seirath sang a song for those that didn't and danced through the air with her excitement, showing off her skills for all to see in a moment of triumph that had Amra hanging her head in defeat. It was just how it was going to be, every first that she had she'd do everything that she could not to listen to her rider.

Must you be such a showoff? Please be careful not to fly too high just in case something happens to you!

It wasn't exactly fear or worry, more like a deep seated concern that she had because she knew that something could happen the first time and she didn't want her dragon to push it and get hurt. There were lots of dragons watching as well as the Weyrlingmaster and her blue, but it still filled her with concern and that was enough. Maybe they should drill more in the future, now that Seirath was airborne and showed just how good she was at it.

Hattaki
Crew

Lonely Phantom

Uta rolled 1 6-sided dice: 2 Total: 2 (1-6)

Uta
Captain

Shy Mage

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2018 2:06 pm
Loreleth & J'lar - You try, but alas, it doesn't quite work. You manage more of a large leap than anything. There is no airtime. Better try again!

~ ~ ~ ~

J'lar knew his blue was ready to turn back to the Barracks, but he was quick to stamp out that idea. "You were just getting your wings stretched, that's all," he dismissed, as if the round blue hadn't even tried. "Go on. Try again, love." He reached out and gave the horrified blue a little kiss on the nose, and a loving scratch on his neck. Loreleth's eyes whirled quickly in anxiety, their eyes a mix of a muddy orange-yellow.

But... I can't do it, Mine. The blue gave a pathetic creel and leaned into his rider. J'lar dug his feet in the ground, to better support his blue, but sent as much encouragement as he could. Nonsense. You'll fly as great as any of them. Come on now. Let's try again.

Loreleth heaved a sigh, and after one last nuzzle, allowed himself to take a few steps away from his rider. He did pause to look up, sending both a trill of pleasure and fear at those who were already airborn.

You look glorious in the air, Seirath, but please be careful! Hessianth, you make it look so easy. I wish I was as confident as you. Strigonth, you shall outfly us all. But oh, do be careful! It is awful frightening to see you so high up -- please don't fall! And that was what Loreleth was so afraid of. Any one of them could take a tumble, and then where would they be?

"Bet you can keep a better eye on them if you were up there, eh?" J'lar grunted, giving a small shrug of his shoulders as his blue turned to stare at him. The blue blinked, considering this new possibility. Hessianth and Strigonth seemed to think it was easy to fly... but maybe they weren't afraid of it. Could Loreleth do it?

With a heavy sigh, he turned and gave another little run, wings half-spread, before he took off. Up, up, up . . . .and down he came. There wasn't much behind the take off, and the blue dragon came to a small stumble in the sand. Heaving a heavy sigh, the blue lowered his head, and was the pinnicle of defeat.

See, Mine? I'm just no good at it.

Bridging the distance between where he stood and his dragon sat, the ex-mercenary did catch sight of a familiar bystander. A fellow blue rider, the one he'd met on the beach a few sevenday's prior. He would have offered an amicable wave if Loreleth didn't look completely defeated. So it was, he put his focus back on his blue. This could be a long afternoon.

demon_pachabel
Encouragement from Loreleth!

stella cinere
Mention!

ShinosBee

Hattaki

Meepfur rolled 1 6-sided dice: 2 Total: 2 (1-6)
PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2018 2:35 pm
Vedmath is motivated!

While eager to take to the air, Vedmath was in no great hurry, either. He and His had arrived at the beach for this important lesson on time but at a measured pace, and neither was concerned about the bronze being one of the first into the air. They were concerned about doing it right, not hastily. Although haste seemed to work quite well for Hessianth, second into the air and with more ease than Nzambith. As he stretched to make himself ready, he kept a careful eye on his siblings and their attempts, partly out of quiet concern and partly to observe what they did and did not do. He was pleased for his brothers and sisters who took to the air in short order, and very quietly pleased that it took a certain blue several attempts to make it into the sky.

He would have no such difficulty, he was certain. He had trained diligently for this day with the help of his Dezerac, knowing that it was their first major milestone. After this, they would fly together, go between, flame...but only after they had mastered this. Vedmath's eagerness was less about flying, and more about advancing, because there was so very much to be done. All of it after

Once he felt that he'd done adequate stretching, he...rumbled and toddled over to nuzzle at Loreleth (and crooned acknowledgement to J'lar), who was looking utterly defeated. You almost had it that time! Once more and you'll be in the air, I'm sure of it.

I'm going to try now. You'll try with me, won't you? The sky will feel empty if you're not in it, too! Another nuzzle, and Vedmath moved a safe distance away to make his own attempt: a short, ungainly run down the beach that ended when he launched himself into the air with a bunching of muscles and a strong sweep of broad wings. He'd made it!

And was secretly relieved. Below, Dezerac nodded, a small smile the only outward evidence of his approval, but Vedmath would know how happy he was, how proud of him.

Uta

Meepfur
Crew

Cheri rolled 1 6-sided dice: 5 Total: 5 (1-6)

Cheri

Vice Captain

Interstellar Pirate

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2018 4:40 pm

Illiandinth is one motivated little demon.

faesinger rolled 1 6-sided dice: 3 Total: 3 (1-6)
PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2018 7:15 pm
Therianth is always motivated for a new game!

THIS IS AMAZING! WE GET TO FLY TODAY! Therianth came running into the flight area. She had been watching the older dragons flying and wanted to soar with them so badly.

“Threrianth, slow down. There are some things that you really should go over before…”

Don’t worry mine. I know what I am doing. I have eyes.

Before Shahera could interrupt again Therianth gave a little butt wiggle, making sure that all feet were in place. She then launched herself and gave a mighty flap. On her way back down to the ground she flapped a little more frantically, until she was standing on the ground again. Therianth blinked in confusion and then looked over to Shahera utterly confused. It didn’t work.

Shahera couldn’t help it. She started laughing hard. She couldn’t speak. You’ll get it Therianth. But maybe we should actually plan?  

faesinger

Predestined Cultist

SilverLutz rolled 1 8-sided dice: 8 Total: 8 (1-8)

SilverLutz

Offensive Hero

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2018 10:16 pm
Nzambith watched as her brothers and sisters in turn took to the skies, some more gracefully than others. She gave a happy trumpet as she dipped one wing to turn, the move a little shaky but successful. Blue eyes whirled with delight as she watched her siblings soar above her and the joy coming from Vennodren back on the ground made her wish to join them. She beat her wings once, twice, three times-

Venn watched from the ground, his heart pounding in time with his dragon's, but he felt a tinge of worry creep over him as Nzambith angled herself too harshly. While it was possible to fly straight up it was certainly more difficult to do so and he barely had a moment to send her a warning before she was plummeting to the sea.

"No!" he yelped, dashing forward into the water, the waves and wind keeping him from going too far in. Nzambith, open your wings, dearest!

Fear clutched the green's mind as worry and anxiety spun through her mind, wings crumpled against her back as she fell down, down, down towards the sea. She struggled to at least roll over so she could get her wings open, following Vennodren's command, but she was so terrified that it was impossible to untangle herself from her own limbs.

Help! she cried to anyone at all, limbs clawing frantically at the air.

Hattaki

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2018 11:06 pm
Focusing all of her attention on little dragons flying for the first time was hard work when she was attempting to keep herself aloft at the same time and listen for any orders that might be missed by her rider's ineffective ears. However Asilaeth had been the one that had offered to do this in the first place and there was no way that a little weyrling was going to fall and smack into the ground from up high while she was around to stop it. They were doing fairly well thus far though and none of them had really had a terrible fall that had made her presence necessary. Not all of them had gotten up yet of course but that didn't mean that she was useless up in the air watching them. Something dangerous could happen, she'd seen it herself even up at High Reaches when they'd first begun to fly. There was always that one hatchling that took a nosedive not long after take off and had everyone in the vicinity leaping to help at once.

The word "help" smacked into her head with a familiar voice and two pairs of careful eyes turned at once to see the one that had begun to fall and all three hearts lurched in their chests. Without warning Asilaeth's eyes turned white and her wings furled against her slim body tightly as she arched into a dive towards Nzambith as quickly as she could. Too far up, too much wind! Too many baby dragons in the air to make a dive straight for her falling form that had turned into a thrashing ball of limbs and claws that fell straight towards the water.

One hand on her left shoulder brought her back to herself from the panic that had flooded through her and instantly she was thinking in time with her rider as the pair of them threaded through the flying weyrlings. Wings twisting about her form, unfurling, curling, pushing the air around her body so that she could go faster and avoid colliding with any in the skies, Asilaeth reached out her claws for Nzambith as she got closer. In a quick movement she grabbed the little green and pulled her against her chest, wings spreading and body curving so that she was no longer falling straight towards the water, but arching up through the air gracefully if a little too quickly. Hearts hammering a bit harder than normal she twisted and let her wings drop her down slowly to the ground, using them as a cushion to land in front of Vennodren gently with Nzambith still held tight to her.

"You can let her go now Asi, she's fine but you're going to smother her if you keep holding her that tight." Ty'bar's voice broke through the dragon's thoughts once more and she cast a look back at him from one swirling orange eye before releasing the little green at the feet of her rider. "Little bit of panic on the first try, not abnormal."

To his credit Ty'bar always knew that Asilaeth would catch her, but it wasn't everyday that he saw her faceted eyes turn solid white like that. Only once had they ever done so and he rubbed her shoulders and the base of her neck to remind her that everything was okay and the little one was safe before offering Venn a smile.

"She did so well that first time, she'll do even better the second I bet!" he offered with a wave of encouragement.

She will be fine, or I will make certain that she is.

SilverLutz

Hattaki
Crew

Lonely Phantom

demon_pachabel rolled 1 8-sided dice: 2 Total: 2 (1-8)

demon_pachabel
Crew

Beloved Werewolf

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2018 8:00 am
[Well, you go up, but are quick smacked back down to earth by a gust of wind. Motivated Dergs You find yourself catching yourself, and manage to stay aloft. Woot!]

Watching Strigonth struggle to get up was hilarious as far as Hessianth was concerned, and L'nik knew everything about that. He himself wished no ill upon the blue and his rider - and in fact more or less didn't know the pair more than he knew them. The brown was all chuckles about the situation until a large gust of came, knocking him off course.

For a moment, L'nik was certain Hessianth was going to fall. Wings out! he thought quickly, getting a surge of 'I already knew that!' irritation from his bonded as the brown quickly moved to adjust himself, wobbling slightly before he leveled out again - and then bugled with alarm as he heard Nzambith's cry. He circled, moving as if he himself was going to try and catch her, only for a much larger and capable dragon to come swooping in first to right her.

Hessianth clacked his jaws, angling to glide closer towards the beach as he watched the larger green landing with his sister. Are you alright, Nzambith? the brown crooned some concern to his clutchmate along with a wave of affection. He was now extra determined to stay up after that. Loreleth's wave of encouragement only added to this as he moved to glide overhead of his blue brother.

Come, brother. Come fly with me, Loreleth. only L'nik's careful hand kept Hessianth's request keep from becoming a demand. Though another sibling was also trying to take to the air, and Hessianth was very excited about a favored playmate coming to join him in the air.

Therianth was still trying to take to the air, and Hessianth trumpeted playfully at the green, sweeping past the beach overhead. Try again! Come race the waves with me! he entreated, before swooping out over the water with another loud bugle. He was definitely starting to get a little showy and L'nik carefully held onto the brown's pride. Don't push it. he reminded, earning a wave of irritation. I'm not! this was easy! This was fun! He wasn't doing anything daring or over the top! See?

But oh! A favored brother had also taken to the air, and the brown went sailing towards Vedmath with another trumpet of joy. He was being very noisy about the whole thing, but he didn't care. If any of his siblings weren't as excited to be up and flying, that was their problem, not his! Vedmath! I would have expected no less! he praised cheerily.

SilverLutz
Hessianth checks on his sister.

Uta
Encouragement from Hessianth!

Faesinger
Come play with me, Therianth!

Meepfur
Hessianth says A+ good job

faesinger rolled 1 6-sided dice: 4 Total: 4 (1-6)
PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2018 10:35 am
What do I have to do?

You have to at least be moving first. You aren’t strong enough yet to just leap off the ground. Shahera was still having some trouble talking out loud.

OKAY! She began to run and then leaped into the air. But she leaped like she as jumping over something, not like she was taking off, and quickly came back down to the ground. This is hard.

If it was easy, everyone would do it. Not just dragons and firelizards, but humans, caprines, and tunnelsnakes.  

faesinger

Predestined Cultist

Hattaki rolled 1 8-sided dice: 3 Total: 3 (1-8)

Hattaki
Crew

Lonely Phantom

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2018 1:23 pm
3. You're high up, but you're second guessing yourself. You flap when you're not supposed to, and you're gliding a bit off-beat of the thermals. Flight sure isn't as easy as your older kin make it look!

Floating in the sky was just wonderful and Seirath was beginning to think that she could spend forever up here in the air with her thoughts. If she was able to pull off some rather fantastic tricks then she could draw all eyes in her direction, shining brighter than all those that she was flying with. Shaking her head gently as if to clear it of her jealous and show-offy thoughts at the silent behest of her beloved rider, the little green twisted in the air and without warning she heard her sister scream.

Eyes swirling yellow as she caught sight of her sister falling, Seirath made as if to dive after her and came up short when she saw a larger green swoop in to grab her. Sighing a breath of relief she felt her wings foul with a particularly strong gust of wind and was sent tumbling head over tail before she could get her wings open wide enough to catch herself. The squawk of indignation she gave as she was able to get air beneath her wings once more and stabilize was nothing like her usually elegant sounds and had her rider running towards the edge of the water with her arms out just in case. Through the connection the pair shared she could feel the hammering of Amra's heart in her own chest and she sent a wave of comfort to her lady as she adjusted her wingbeats to the feel of the wind and regained a small amount of her confidence. At least she was still in the air.

Taking a deep breath she trilled out a song for Nzambith and Loreleth on the ground, packing every ounce of encouragement and love that she could into the tones before twisting her body back up towards the growing group of Weyrlings that were in the air with her. Singing out to Hessianth and Aleyath who were nearby her as she twisted, the little green continued floating up on the winds and tried to keep herself afloat, which was proving to be harder than she thought despite how much she was enjoying it.

Heaving a shuddery breath out of her lungs when Seirath caught herself, Amra rubbed her face with her hands and cast a look over to Vennodren and Nzambeth on the sands nearby. Her heart had nearly beat out of her chest when Nzam fell but when Seirath fumbled a bit and looked as though she would fall it had filled her with a fear she'd never felt before. Thank Faranth both of them were safe and sound! Slowly she drifted over towards the pair out of concern and offered them both a nervous smile.

"I'm so glad you're safe Nzambith. Are you both okay?" Amra said in her calmest voice.

Uta
Come up lovely Loreleth, you can do it! <3

demon_pachabel
Singin for her bros

Smerdle
Singin for her bros

SilverLutz
Oh dears.

Smerdle rolled 1 8-sided dice: 3 Total: 3 (1-8)
PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2018 5:26 pm
Okay, fine. This wasn't just ten feet up and Hessianth and Strigonth had been right. The air was nice, the water below was nice, and flying was super nice. Aleyath canted to the left, tensing slightly as he dropped a body length or two in a matter of seconds. Whoa ho ho, hey there. Not like that.

Everything all right? O'len asked, his voice calm.

Yeah. Yes. I'm good. Concentration left him terse, but once the brown had evened out and caught his breath, he got back to looking around, trumpeting cheerily at Seirath when he saw her nearby. Toot toot, sister.

Quote:
3. You're high up, but you're second guessing yourself. You flap when you're not supposed to, and you're gliding a bit off-beat of the thermals. Flight sure isn't as easy as your older kin make it look!
Hattaki
honkin

Smerdle

Scamp

faesinger rolled 1 6-sided dice: 6 Total: 6 (1-6)

faesinger

Predestined Cultist

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2018 6:53 pm
Therianth took a few moments to look around and watch some of the others attempting to fly. She took note of what they did when they got off the ground and what they did when the did not. Shahera could feel the thoughts forming and didn’t dare interrupt and distract her dragon.

Therianth circled a little, looking for just the right place to try again. She backed up and took off running. With a push and some flapping of wings she was in the air. It worked. Mine! I did it! I did it! She was so happy, she had to share. To everyone she called AWWOOOOOOOOOooooo In her confidence she didn’t adjust for the breeze and got knocked back to the ground. …ouch…

Shahera came running, but Therianth was already back on her feet. Again! AGAIN!  
ShinosBee rolled 1 8-sided dice: 4 Total: 4 (1-8)
PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2018 7:55 pm
How're we hangin', boys?  

ShinosBee

Nerd

faesinger rolled 1 6-sided dice: 6 Total: 6 (1-6)

faesinger

Predestined Cultist

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2018 4:42 am
It was an almost exact repeat of last time. Therianth was starting to get how to get off the ground. Shahera held her breath as she waited for Therianth to stay up. It seemed to be working but as she let it out Therianth tumbled back to the ground. What happened?

I almost had it. I almost was there, but then stupid siblings distracted me. Why can they fly and I can’t? It isn’t fair. I should be able to fly fine. But instead I keep…

Shahera could hear the tantrum starting and knew she would have to n** it or would get in trouble with Liat. Taking Therianth’s head in her hands she looked her in the eye. Flying isn’t easy and being grumpy about it won’t help. Come, let’s watch and think before your next try. Please don’t be discouraged. You almost have it which is better than some of your siblings. I don’t know how hard it is to fly and it looks pretty difficult to me.

Therianth was still pouting but complied. Shahera was usually right about when being grumpy would help things.  
[IC RP] Western Weyr

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff